Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I disagree, Russia have very little control or Ukraine at the moment and its going to be hell for their forces to occupy these territories after the war. There will just be guerilla warfare there forever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It is for putin and many of his subjects. It's legitimate in their eyes. Sadly "legitimate" is all too often down to one's perspective. To them "our" nazis are troubling, but still allies in the fight against "their" nazis. Put it another way; we've seen the vids and tweets of the Ukrainian Azoz battalion, a once paramilitary outfit with clear neo nazi origins and links to far right nationalists with Kyiv support down the years and then incorporated into their armed forces hammering Russian tanks and troops and we cheer them on and some go on to say ah well, yes they were nazis, but now something like only 20% of them are, so that's OK then. AKA "our" nazis are troubling, but still allies in the fight against "their" nazis.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

propaganda, most definitely, but always worth keeping it on radar seen as Russia 1 have pretty much telegraphed most things that have happened in Ukraine....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

A commander of Russia's elite paratroop regiments, Colonel Sergey Sukharev of 331st Airborne Kostroma Regiment, has been killed in Ukraine. His deputy Major Sergei Krylov has killed alongside him, along with several others from the Kostroma regiment

That's 4 Generals and 6 Colonels killed so far.

Well then are the West going to sit back and do nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

I watched a report last week where they were saying "western hysteria" is saying this is what Kiev looks like, and they cut to pictures in Kharkov, then cut to the live webcam of central Kiev....

They didn't even mention Kharkov in the report, even though it was being flattened.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

The current materiel losses by Russia are unsustainable. Additionally, Ukraine are about to be supplied with more lethal drones and ADs. Things are going to get worse for Russia once those weapons come into play. Russia's goals have already shrunk from the first days where I and many believe the goal was to take the whole of Ukraine (or certainly seize the capital and overthrow the government) unless something radically changes like an extra 100,000 troops brought in or massive air campaign, Russia cannot achieve that now. I don't believe Russia's airforce is capable of a massive campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

No, but if the West arm the Ukrainians and the Chinese arm the Russians it's clear that the war will be prolonged and get worse. This is a key moment also in Chinese-Western relations and global politics in general

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

At the barest minimum there is a known hitlist of at least 2 million Ukrainians who make up the core of their civil society who are to be expunged. This list was compiled before the invasion and was know to close Russia watchers. This is straight out of Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot's play books. The only effective counter to insurrgency is to punish the famliies and communities of known insurgents. The Nazis did it wholesale in WW2, the British practiced it and the Israelis do it to Palestinians in the somewhat milder form of bulldozing the homes belonging to insurgents families, and that's just scratching the surface of practitioners.

So we have a bare minimum figure of 2 million, then add war casualties and then add the loses from years of counter-insurgency measures - hello Grozny.

Millions is not hyperbole, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

That is an excellent question. If the Sub was towards the North of the sea, to the east of Crimea the missile would remain in Ukranian airspace..

This is behind a paywall. Little point posting unless you can at least give some context. More than 2 dozen Senate Republicans love Ukrainian food?

Again... lovely picture of well turned out people. Might want to post in a fashion thread.

When I get to my laptop I will give it a try, can't do that on my phone.

But, do yourself a favour and write a little on your url dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Also since march 10th Kaliningrad has looked like this on FIRMS. Interested to hear a reasonable explanation for this.

"WARSAW, March 18 (Reuters) - Poland will formally submit a proposal for a peacekeeping mission in Ukraine at the next NATO summit, Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki said on Friday."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/poland-propose-ukraine-peacekeeping-mission-nato-summit-says-pm-2022-03-18/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

@greenpilot

Is Putin going to make a play for the Suwalki gap?

Just to reiterate - that would mean a direct incursion into NATO territory from either Belarus or Kaliningrad. If there's any sanity left in Russia, they'd surely think that a land bridge to a parcel of land is not worth risking that kind of war.

That's IF there is any sanity left in Russia. 'Russia' meaning the Russian leadership. 'Russian Leadership' meaning basically Putin and whatever his inner circle has dwindled to...

...do Amazon do any decent fallout shelters?

interesting debate going back to 2014 when Russia annexed Crimea off Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It is going to be telling what road China takes. What's happening currently is destabilising for all including China. Do they build relationships with Russia to form a greater power block and prolong what will impact further on them? Or let Putin's scheme implode and have a weakened Russia, which might also suit them. You'd think they'd likely sit on the fence and try to play all the parties. Maybe they'll just give Russia minimal assistance to keep the Kremlin happy but also not really engage to keep their other world trade partners sort of mollified. Neither one thing nor another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Not surprised - Poland has been making all the noises. Now will wee little Ireland with our supposedly worldwide famous reputation as a peace keeper, be sending over our troops? Put our money where our mouth is in terms of neutrality and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Oh, I'm fully aware what happened in the Balkans deravarra....I was in Srebrebica just before the massacre, and in Belgrade when Arkan was killed in the International Hotel. Ditto I was in Trg Republika amongst the crowds cheering when Kostunica overthrew Milosevic. And as for the others you mention, Radovan Karadjic. he is serving life in prison, ( in the UK after his appeal was rejected and the previous sentence was increased to Life) Ratko Mladic, has also been sentenced to Life, and he will serve his sentence in one of the EU Country's who have agreed to take prisoners convicted in the Hague. And all rightly so, I could not agree more. Slobodan Milosevic died in the Hague, so he escaped justice in this life, but ( depending on your religious convictions) not in the next. So yes I know very well what happened and I'm not trying to whitewash any part of it,,,I'm not a fan of any of them, for sure, but war brings out the worst of the worst ( as I mentioned previously ) and there were atrocities carried out on all sides, and that's not an attempt to down play what the Serbs did. Every time I look in the mirror I see a souvenir from a Serb soldier. I have seen the same atrocities happening in Libya, Chechnya, Liberia, Syria etc. Only difference is the scale.

Oh, and to add just a little bit of balance and I know its from an earlier time. but during the 2nd world war, Croatian Ustase killed an estimated 500'000 Serbs, in an attempt to create an ethnically pure Greater Croatia.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes, because demilitarising Ukraine in 2014 would have stopped all this 🙄

His solution is basically ask them nicely to leave. He is a simpleton.

Corbyn saying there has to be a demilitarisation of Ukraine, just after Russia used it's military to annexe Ukraine. The absolute gobshite. What the F does he think a sovereign state is and how it stays that way?

Corbyn is an absolute wa​nker.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We can disagree all we like, putin has and had no intention to actually occupy Ukraine. If things had gone to his plan he would have ousted the current government and stuck in a puppet one, a government more amenable to his needs, while paying off or "disappearing" those who weren't. Like he had there before. No need to get bogged down in an occupation. America tries to do that because they have this long standing misconception that other cultures want the American Dream(tm) they buy into like a faith and that others will eagerly take it up if they're exposed to it enough. A misconception that has been proven wrong time and time again.

But things didn't go to putin's plan, because the Ukrainians threw a huge angry fly in his soup and the world supports them and villifies and excludes him, yet even so he still has enough control over Ukraine to get the world screaming for talks, peace and an end to his bloody violence. Talks where he will get concessions that neither the Ukrainians nor us want him to get and what he didn't have before(NATO membership off the table for a start)and enough for him to get a short, even medium term "win" with his subjects back home.

If history is any judge Russian generals and colonels tend to be like shark's teeth, abundant, disposable and easily replaceable. Never mind the quality, feel the width. The evidence of their quality is to be seen by how many have been killed so far.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

When a country is invaded, why would it matter what a battalion did 8 years ago? It's irrelevant.

If Ireland was invaded tomorrow, would you stop former paramilitaries from fighting?

All this Nazi talk is just rubbish that Putin is peddling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Talks where he will get concessions that neither the Ukrainians nor us want him to get and what he didn't have before(NATO membership off the table for a start)

Its a completely empty concession. Ukraine were nowhere near joining NATO beforehand.

Also "The world" may be screaming for peace but a) not at any cost and b) it is not important - what is important is what the Ukrainians are willing to accept.

Russia will come out of this absolutely massively in the negative overall.

It be interesting to hear his view now in 2022 after Russia invades the whole of Ukraine. Should Ukraine be demilitarised now?

Of for... The West are doing something. Lots of somethings. It seems pretty clear the Ukrainian resistence are getting intel from Western sources. They're getting big shipments of arms and humanitarian help and safe homes for their women and kids. They've turned Russia into one of the most sanctioned and excluded nations on Earth and did so near overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

I believe all of the far right political groups amassed a whopping 2% of the vote in the last Ukrainian elections.

Let's not forget that in the 2009 European Parliament elections, the BNP received nearly 1 million votes and had two candidates elected. That was 6% of the electorate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement