Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

@blanch152

I'd agree that residual anti-British fervour would be a factor in that. I believe it goes deeper than that though, that neutrality is in keeping the national character of the Irish as it developed after independence. We are not a people interested in advancing ourselves through violence, or helping others do the same. I think that is worth maintaining.

Our nearest neighbours and dearest friends are quite capable of defending themselves without our blood and steel; they are members of the most dominant military alliance that has existed in human history.

As for our own protection, there simply is no power we require protection from.

I understand we are in a position of geographical privilege. Ukraine, Taiwan, Poland and Estonia, for example, cannot afford such luxury.

We are lucky.

Some may call it cowardice, I call it wisdom.

Every nation-state that has existed has used its geographical position to its advantage. There's still no compelling reason we should discontinue doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I must say the use of the phrase "Westplaining" to describe the supine attitude to Russia from some is entirely amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I wouldn't describe it as 'anti British fervour', it is justifiable mistrust of the British and I would add American agendas and geo-political gameplay.

We are Westplaining again to the Eastern Europeans, are we?

I can tell you that Poland, Latvia are others are deeply grateful to the UK and US for the security they get from NATO. All very well to be sitting safe and secure in your Monaghan bunker throwing verbal darts at them.

I was discussing NATO with Eastern Europeans? How do you know that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there is no such thing as exclusionary nationalism apart from in your mind, so that is nothing to do with why we won't join nato and join in the nonsense that would bring.

by the way joining nato would equal an expectation that others would rescue us, however as has been revealed, there is no guarantee that other members would do so, nor as there it seems, an obligation for them to do so but to simply meet to discuss the situation of an invasion.

ultimately, we don't need nato to move away from our current defense strategy, we simply need to invest more in our defense forces and keep our military neutrality, ultimately we could never beat a big power in a military face off, so our best defense is to still invest in our defense forces and train them in the use of all sorts of tactics including gurrilla tactics, which would bog the invasion force down.

that is the only option open to us.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

An interesting intervention by Michael D.

Higgins remarks on Ukraine neutrality ‘out of tune with reality’ | Ireland | The Times

Not going down well with some, whose plans would be scuppered if neutrality brought peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sertorius

Should Ireland join NATO? No. NATO is an abhorrent organization.

Id wager many folks here have never been engaged in direct, violent confrontation. Nor do they have the stomach for the horrors of humanity first hand.

Asking the poor to die in a field in Eastern Europe so "democracy" can be brought to Russia and you get likes on Twitter?

Milqtoast stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

In fairness, Michael D was and is on the wrong side of history here given his past utterances and the reality is that Ukraine is a non-aligned country, but has not stopped the Russians from invading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No one is saying NATO wants and needs to attack Russia, but well done on the Putin talking points.

• Advertisement

Neutrality brought peace? Like it did to many countries in Europe at the start of the Second World War as they were invaded by Germany?

Seriously, Francie, you need a history lesson. You could bring Michael D with you.

'IF' Ukraine adopts neutrality and it brings peace then Neale and Leo's push will be scuppered as the value of neutrality will be underlined, the geo-political gameplayers will have to put the pieces back in the chess box too.

Higgins is right to broach the subject as we have experience, Dev's bravery in keeping us neutral meant the people (of a new fledgling state) won, the warmongers who wanted to drag us in to a war lost. History lesson indeed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Some of us have, mind.

I don't think the Ukrainians right now care very much whether or not democracy is brought to Russia. I don't think the Poles, Lithuanians, Estonians etc care much either, though there's a reasonable chance that should Russia turn democratic it will be less of a threat to those countries.

The goal is that whatever form of government Russia has, the other countries are left the hell alone. That doesn't seem to me like something which isn't worth fighting for.

The distinction between military neutrality and political neutrality has been made.

We did not militarily join in WW2.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That's up to my chain of command. The whole 'military is subordinate to civilian leadership' thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Surely having the UK, the RAF and the Royal navy between us and the Germans helped us more than neutrality in WW2?

Belgium and the Netherlands tried to remain neutral and both were rapidly invaded, defeated and occupied for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The difference between our political neutrality and military neutrality reminds me of Bill Clinton talking about smoking weed, how he smoked but did not inhale.

That point was made earlier, if somebody wants to invade us then neutrality is of little use. We were not a threat to Germany in WW2. Certainly the Netherlands represented a threat to Germany and the Ruhr Valley if left unoccupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

In the minds of the Germans the Netherlands posed a potential geographical and strategic threat to Germany. The Dutch did not threaten Germany. Their neutral position was guaranteed by Germany in 1939 - and violated in 1940.

Exactly what I said. The Netherlands unoccupied was a threat to Germany. They 'represented' a threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sutrapall

No upsides, all the downsides. It's a tough decision!

We're a small island located between the United States and the UK on the very outskirts of europe, nothing is going to happen here unless it's due to either of those two. And if that happened, we couldn't do anything about it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

We lost so many people in the Famine that we did well to sit out World War II imo.

Nations have interests which they follow a-morally, there is no altruism at the state to state level. Only on the surface would a decision such as this be motivated by 'friendship'.

We should be asking is it in our interest to join NATO or not. Countries like Britain, Finland, Sweden, the US will not be acting out of sentiment whatever they end up doing so we shouldn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The Irish state is in a very unique situation whereby we have only one historic "enemy" and those relations have improved greatly in these early years of our young state. We have the opportunity to be neutral that very few countries have. As soon as we participate in any war, we lose that forever, you can never get neutrality back.

Barry Andrews calling NATO out on it's 'adventurism' and expansionism was good to hear on Saturday View on RTE. Hopefully there are nough in government who can keep the NATO junkies at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Leaving aside Ireland for a moment, NATO "expansionism" to the East ensured that former Eastern bloc EU accession states couldn't get screwed around with. And if we set aside the hot air, you know deep down that a certain actor due-East would almost certainly be f*cking around militarily and politically with these EU states had they not been in NATO. EU membership secured by Article 5 guarantees are the best thing that happened to these states and they well know it. NATO secures the aggregate defence of the continent and EU as uncomfortable as that makes defence wallflowers.

We can afford the moral grandstanding, soapboxing, and sanctimony about our sacred neutrality out here in the Atlantic pretty much under the defence umbrella of another country without admitting it - accession states cannot.

Barry Andrews sets his stall out as a Foreign Policy soothsayer, and if he wants to make the case Ireland is better off outside NATO, that's a valid point that will have plenty of backers. But if he takes that sanctimony about "expansionism" to Warsaw, Prague, Tallin or Riga and see what response he gets he'd be in for a land.

And as for adventurism, the only time NATO really put a foot wrong was Libya - their operations in Afghanistan and the Balkans were essential and morally necessary. And while the weak-kneed and 'peace at any cost' crowd will decry them, reality bites hard when bad actors threatening global security are on the march.

The reason Ukraine is not in NATO is why NATO gets criticised for it's expansionism and adventurism. Since George Bush dangled membership in front of them (knowing they didn't qualify and the ramifications if they did) it is obvious they were pawns in a disgraceful geo-political game.

There will never be east-west peace until that game stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

"The reason Ukraine is not in NATO is why NATO gets criticised for it's expansionism and adventurism"

I'm not trying to be smart here, but what this mean?

If NATO was really about the protection of people then Ukraine would have been in it. They were more interested in the geo-political game with Russia than they were with protection. Ever hear the phrase 'poking the bear'? That's what Bush was at when he said Ukraine should join.

They poked and the bear reacted. It's no excuse for what Putin has done but it isn't a vindication of NATO either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Annascaul

Nato membership for Ireland would mean a bundle of military recourses Ireland could tap into and make use of. Ireland would only benefit from NATO membership.

Also, Irish airspace is already defended by the British RAF, but these contracts to do that are not known to most people in Ireland.

Real neutrality for Ireland would mean armed forces the likes of Switzerland or even Israel, and we all know that Ireland could never afford this expenditure.

Advertisement