Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You do realise that Obafemi is stringing form together?

Nothing wrong with a debate about the squad selection. Freindlies are a chance to blood new players. Daragh o shea for example is included. Should he not have to string games and form together too?

Scott Hogan has zero form atm.

The form argument is out the window.

I think the argument for inclusion outweighs the argument for his exclusion.

The same goes for Jimmy dunne. I think he deserves a chance.

100 percent. Looks like Kenny was calling him up. Fairs fair and a good move. Id have assumed he'd have been in for Scott Hogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Kenny's made the correct call. How could he possibly be taken seriously as a manager by the rest of the players if he calls up a player who tells the U21 manager that he's too good for youth football? Obafemi barely played any first team football for 2 seasons and now because he's found a scoring touch for the past few weeks he's suddenly declared himself too good for the Ireland U21s?

The idea that Obafemi is so good that we have to call him up despite that is in my opinion completely absurd. He's not Robbie Keane lads.

We have very few strikers in form at the moment. To be fair a debate on his inclusion/exclusion is warranted. I havent read anyone saying he is the next Robbie Keane? The fact is we dont have a Robbie Keane at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Kenny and Crawford have said before that Obafemi even has his own modified training schedule because of his injury problems when asked about him when naming squads. He has looked leaner lately though so hopefully he's making the changes needed that club managers have mentioned and can keep himself injury free.

Robinson will probably lead the line as our CF like he has done when Idah isn't available. Don't see Hogan getting many minutes and probably will only get a few off the bench against Lithuania.

We're in dire straights in terms of player quality. Really worrying and very little to be getting excited about in that squad. Apart from our GKs who all could potentially play in the PL the rest of the squad is underwhelming. It is what it is I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Obafemi and Connolly both need to show maturity over a longer period of time, especially when they don't get what they want or feel they deserve. One way in which they could show maturity is by not taking to social media after being left out of squads, especially to question the decision of the manager, or contradict what he says.

I would really hope that they both just stay silent or show support for the squad that was chosen and just get on with what they have been doing for their clubs.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Similar Arron Connolly seems to be carrying a knock. Kenny says he's not training and playing games with some pain.

Says Obafemi was never in the picture for this U21s. Probably didn't stop the likes of Pundit Arena from running with Crawford's comments and making it sound like he turned him down again. Says he had a good conversation with the player at the Bristol City game and again this week.

Also says he would have liked to announce a replacement for Barry today but should be announced in the next few days.

• Advertisement

Anthony Scully amd Kieran Sadler must be close to call ups. Playing regularly in League 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He doesn't have 4 in 8, he has 4 in 4. Or 5 in 7. Or 6 in 9. Whichever you prefer.

I really hope what's written in the tweet above is as it reads - that he was contacted, and they agreed between them that recovery time was of more value at this stage. It does at least sound like Kenny has grown up a bit in terms of actually reaching out to useful fringe players and keeping them in the fold (something he was woeful at early on!).

However if he did actually want to be called up, then it would be baffling to me. He's starting a lot more games than much of our squad, and playing really well for a few months now as well. We also only have 1 goalscoring number 9 in the squad as it stands in Robinson, could've done with another. We've a tonne of these support or link players like Ogbene, Parrott, Keane, Hogan, and Ronan, but really only one player with any expectation of being up on the end of a final ball.

?

No... that's correct, and shows exactly what I said... 4 goals in his last 4 games, 5 goals in his last 7, and 6 goals in his last 9.

That's all great to hear, exactly the right noises from everyone involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

hmmm, not confident. I'll believe it when he starts or gets in to a game.

The reality is, given the quality in our squad, any half decent potential will be giving serious consideration to whether their own prospects are best served switching allegiances if they have that choice.

It's an inevitable consequence of where we are.

I think of all players he's earned the benefit of the doubt at this stage. No-one with multiple real options on the table has ever come out as effusively certain about wanting to play for Ireland as he did at 18. I'll never forget how refreshing that felt in the aftermath of the Graelish and Rice debacles. From those various interviews etc, it sounds like that hasn't changed. Of course you never know for sure, but he's backed it up with actions in the past, so I'm content to believe him now.

• Advertisement

Its a mature choice from Obafemi and Kenny. Lets see where he is at the end of the season in terms of fitness and form and take it from there. The last thing he needs or we need is him being injured in a freindly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Don't think there's any comparison with lads choosing England over Ireland and Nigeria over Ireland.

But I'd say he's definitely choosing his career over Ireland which is fair enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Bit harsh. He is no good to Ireland if he has no career. Given his injuries over the last few years he is probably terrified that another will ruin his career altogether

Good to see Enda Stevens back on the bench after missing the last 8 weeks with a calf injury.

Eiran Cashin starting his 8th game in a row for Derby. Pity he's not a couple of months younger and underage for next season's U21s. Abankwah is the only CB playing senior football and he might find himself in the reserves next season at Udinese though.

Rooney came out yesterday and said Ebosele will be signing for a team in Italy soon so looks like Ebosele and Abankwah will be teammates at Udinese next season, and probably Watford the season after 😂

I wonder if Jason Knight has also made up his mind to leave. It seems a bit odd to leave him on the bench otherwise.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement

Has another year left on his contract. Don't think Rooney knows what to really do with Knight, and it's why you see him playing in different positions more than others. But most Derby players are probably off in the summer anyway. Fans expecting to be starting next season in League One with a 15 points deduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yeah which is why I said fair enough.

No issue with him choosing his career over what is the equivalent of volunteer work when you think about it in our PAYE lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Yet another clean sheet for Travers today. Thats 15 in 36 now.

Surely he'll get 90mins in one of the games with that form.

Bazunu is something similar. 14 in 34 i think albeit at a lower level.

You'd feel that Kelleher will have a decision to make in the next 6 -12 months about getting out somewhere for football if he is to stay in the race for number1/2.

With Travers looking likely to be in the PL next season he could easily be our number 1. Depends on what Bazunu does of course. He'll more than likely be championship.

I think the ball-at-his-feet stuff will keep Travers behind both of the other two, as long as their form doesn't drop off.

Not sure myself. Kelleher will need to start playing more at some stage. Travers distribution has improved no end this season. Its probably not as fashionable to want a shot stopper but there you go. Its more important to us i think. There is a huge differ knocking the ball out to VVD and TAA than Enda stevens or Shane Duffy. If we have a PL keeper doing well it will be a huge plus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

WD and TAA?

There is a huge differ knocking the ball out to VVD and TAA than Enda Stevens or Shane Duffy.

All the more that you want your keeper to be better with the ball at his feet and pick out passes beyond the defence.

Plus why not have a keeper that can do both. Bazunu has shown he's not only comfortable being that extra player at the back to recycle possession, or pick out a pass into midfield but has come up trumps with some big saves.

I'd agree with you about Kelleher being Kenny's preferred no1. If Bazunu wasn't performing so well for us Kelleher would be straight in as number one. Regardless of his game time he suits how Kenny wants a keeper to play.

You reckon it's gonna be 45mins a game with Bazunu also playing against both, or could the lads get the full 90. Think myself it might be Bazunu 90 against Belgium and Kelleher 90 against Lithuania.

Virgil Van Dijk and Trent Alexander Arnold

No Kelleher in the Liverpool squad today. Would be his luck if he missed the international games.

• Advertisement

Seems to be nothing online about why he's missing, but Andy Robertson is missing through illness which probably means covid so could be a chance Kelleher is missing because of covid. Whether he has it or just a close contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

What’s the rules on Covid now? The variant that’s there now is no different than a mild head cold. No one should be missing work due to it.

Maybe Klopp just wanted to let Adrian sit on the bench this week in order to boost his morale.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭roverjoyce

Not sure where else i can ask this, i have season tickets but cant make it up next week

How or where can i put the tickets up?

Not looking for full price or close to it

Cant put up on Ticketmaster Exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

What sort of price you looking for? DMs open. Season ticket holder for 8 years but didn't renew as baby on the way this year

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Himself and Hendrick would have been teammates for two seasons at Derby before he retired from injuries. Probably why Hendrick ended up at QPR instead of Boro.

Could be another very good appointment this. Was offered the Swansea job last summer but turned it down. With some of the names linked to them last summer the one thing that stood out was they were looking for a young progressive manager that wanted to try and play technical football.

Seems he was on the same FA Pro License course as Anthony Barry so possibly someone he suggested or who Kenny asked him about as a possible replacement.

Might also put in a word for Jimmy Dunne.

Hendricks has been brutal for QPR.

• Advertisement

Given the form QPR find themselves in since February Dunne has other stuff he needs to worry if they're to make the play offs.

Would be our luck if they sacked Warburton in the summer if they miss out on the play offs and Eustace is offered the job.

Couple of interesting names with Baba Adeeko getting his first call up, plays with Wigan and has been around the first team this season. Made his senior debut in the EFL trophy and got a few minutes in the EFL cup.

Glory Nzingo with his first call up since his move to Stade Reims. Has only played U15s for us.

Alex Murphy and Sean Grehan have only played U18s for us so their first involvement competitively. Though Murphy was with the U21s when they had to call up a bunch of LOI players when they weren't sure if UK based players would be allowed travel to Montenegro.

Ollie O'Neill though, wasn't he called up to the U21s or do we have two Ollie O'Neills.

The times reporting that the UK and Ireland will be named as hosts for Euro 2028 as no other bid has come forward and the deadline is Wednesday. Italy look to be hosts for 2032, Turkey didn't bother putting a bid in, and Russia were but decided to invade Ukraine instead. Talk that there will be no automatic qualification for any hosts.

A five year deal, how far does he get into that deal before he's a Watford player though 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Maybe 2 years on loan, before an official sale if he's doing well?

• Advertisement

I'd say he'd be lucky to get a year, and will be off to Watford after they're relegated. Can see Abankwah going on "loan" to Watfords 23s in the summer. Their way of circumventing FFP by having move to Udinese first.

Theres a few more of the squad could have stayed with their clubs if thats the case.

Lets hope he actually stays at udinese which is doubtful. Would be good to have some players like himself and cullen playing abroad and not in League 1 or lower championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Unless he puts in a very good pre-season, he still looks a bit too raw for Serie A to me. A loan period would be fine, the important thing for him is that he's playing competitively next year. Kids football would be a waste of his time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement