Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,523 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Absolutely.

Better have a bit of competition for Glanbia milk.

Can't have that Gibbons Danone supporting Putin company only dictating price to Glanbia. They wouldn't be the loyalist of companies globally supporting suppliers up to this anyway. I'd rather have a back up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭older by the day

Responsible job. If it's only now and again it's worth it. And as said if paid by check it will go against the tax. Reminds me of the father of the young fellow that rang in to the radio station here in cork a few weeks ago. The son was doing work experience on a big dairy farm. He was getting 122euro a week. Forgot his lunch one day and the farmer gave him the dinner. No more said till 16euro gone off the 122 at the end of the week. No wonder labor is scarce for some dairy farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

N derogation has been renewed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Part of the course of modern day farming, huge debt levels now on a good % of dairy units, expansion in numbers and lack of available labour means farmers are working twice as hard to standstill, soaring input prices and to top it all off the never-ending newscycle of highly profitable dairy farmers with the perfect work life balance who's biggest job is keeping money spent been portrayed by our farming media combined with the environmental element trying to shut you down leads us to the above .....

It gas even on here you try to argue the milking game this year could be a rough ride and you get picked apart about how highly profitable a year lads "should" have, for men and women that are struggling this obviously makes them feel like failures and see themselves as poor farmers and that's why things could be financially tight, while Jimmy down the road is setting up his 3 Rd unit and flying it, sure that Journal article on him last week said as much all the while Jimmy could be up to his eyes in it and nearly broke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Freejin

As things stand, if you had access to 10 acres to grow a crop of your choice for the year ahead,what would you plant? This is for a simple spring calving system where silage availability shouldn't be an issue. More something to replace meal in the diet next spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

I was talking to a man I know yesterday with 200+ cows. He was exhausted and said he wished he had 70 to 80. He had a young lad helping him for about 2 weeks before he saw the light and got a handier job. He was working late the night before to get an hour off for the parade. His first hour off since calving began. I don't think he'll last much longer at it. Felt sorry for him.

How many cows? reason for asking maize hands down, for keeping energy into cows and stomach's right, but if your only going to be feeding less then a ton freshweight a day and haven't a suitable long narrow clamp with walls you'll get a nice bit of spoilage and heating as the weather warms up into the Spring

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Maize and another 10 if u could get it ….lots may have silage but quality may not be best so any grass silage for most part this year needs to be top notch

beet another option …great feed bit bit of work with it ….wholecrop barley /wheat another option

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Freejin

About 100 cows. Aiming for good quality pit silage this year,lots left over this year. Would hardly have concrete enough for a pit of maize as well.

Baling whole crop could be an option, would deffo be less work than beet (no diet feeder)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Hard get the good lads through FRS though ,all sick of Frs we will all choose the farmer paying privately over the lad paying through frs 51€ for a sunday milking and 20%tax out of it all the while ye are paying 60€ish to frs Frs getting 10€ for just being the middle man you may aswell pay that straight to the milker and be done with it hel appreciate it alot more than just getting screwed by farm relief every way. Frs is grand to make contacts and get in with lads but soon get sick of them and if the milker is any good you wont need insurance with them anyway.

Few lads in leinster that bale maize also, I'd be terrified of rats getting into it myself the same with wholecrop, your adding serious expense onto crops that are going to cost big money to grow, but bales of maize with good silage and a bite of grass for fresh calving cows next spring would be a fantastic diet,

Lucky here ….got v good lad last year to relief milking through Fr’s ….have lad in morning for spring and likewise v happy ….no payslips etc to worry about ….Fr’s cover tax etc and I’m insured thru them for any accidents /fook uos ….only a very rare occasion I’d pay anyone cash

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Will have most of a pit left here, if I put in a forage crop second pit will be taken and most silage would have to be all bales then which I'm not set up for. Extra cost involved in bagging or baling wholecrop or maize along with extra cost of growing it this year would be significant also. Hard to call, if it wasn't for the fact supply could be a factor next spring I'd be of the opinion as good as silage as you can make and buy in whatever meal needed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Grueller

Availability of meal has me scared too I am at 4.5 cows to the ha on the milking ground and need to feed meal hard in the spring. I am in the lucky position that I have 10 acres of winter barley in the ground and will wait and see with it. I have no way to handle barley so am keeping an open mind about wholecropping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

You were very lucky. As I've mentioned here, I provide a relief milking service, Above board with invoice etc. I have 3 farmers on my books that would under no circumstances go back to FRS, Unreliable milkers and reneging on insurance cover, Granted I've only heard one side of the story but have no reason to doubt them either. Take home is to have your own insurance and be prepared to use it. Professional indemnity insurance is impossible to get from a milkers point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was talking to a farmer's wife last week. She was asking me how calving is going, I said grand. She was saying she has hardly seen her husband this last last couple of months, he's that busy at calving, feeding calves etc. I just said what's the point, no point killing yourself working. She was saying oh they all have to be calved within so many weeks, I said they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

I'm starting to wonder about it all myself, working like a slave everyday of the week for what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If its the same for a number of years something must give, but if its just until things fall into place either facilities or getting to the stage of taking someone on fair enough. Still a lot of uncertainty in terms of planning to spend. 500k could be spent here very easily even standing still on numbers, hard to go for it with current rhetoric

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Have these farmers any help at all?

ive dad here which is a massive help but it’s just me and him for a good size herd of cows

we’ve spent a lot of money making things as easy as possible and trying to save time

as busy as we are I managed to get out for a night at the end of feb for my birthday and was out last night with 3 friends who have between 250-550 cows, wrote off today but still great to get out and low off some steam

• Registered Users Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Jaysus …I’m not trying to be sexist here or dismissive or anything else but I’m sure she runs the house …maby has kids to look after etc …my wife would come out to help out if badly stuck but I don’t expect it ….bi like asking me to come in and do housework or some such job at milking time etc

I make an effort to finish early and once morning jobs done during spring if I e any small bit of time I’d help out in house .good nights out just don’t do them in spring …not worth it as getting older hangovers harder shake off and if there was ever a day for something to go wrong it’d be after a feed of beer …money spent on labour saving around yard very important …

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

But to be fair you have to put the head down and drive at it for a few months but by end of June it starts to tail off.from then on bar major infrastructure work it's easy enough.that said moved a good few calves off this week and you d feel it straight away as we had more than normal as our early calf buyer got locked up with tb .I find a big help mentally is to accept things the way they are and s##t happens.dont worry about the way things should be or what anyone else is doing or what things look like

• Registered Users Posts: 11,523 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

What do you mean you wrote off today?

The tractor and spinner was only hitting spots on the road.😃

It's gone to alot of lads heads. I know a few lads now with the wives trying to get them to cut back. I'm too tied to the fecking thing myself but my workload is more manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I have a 2 heifers and 2 cows off their meal quite skinny. Vet cleaned 2 of em out last week, hardly 4 twisted stomachs!!

Any cow not eating meal needs attention immediately imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Do they have a temperature. If not could be a displacement but it would be very unlucky to have 4 animals with it. Unlikely also to have 4 with twisted stomachs.

Advertisement