Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service Mileage Rate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

😂😂😂

If you're not already in a propaganda role, you should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Expenses are tax free for everyone, public and private sector, within Revenue limits.

My neck is positively fragile in comparison to the brass one you're sporting but then that is the nature of institutionalised public servants.

And no drum required-taxpayers do pay your wages. The taxes you pay are like a bankrupt ponzi scheme-paying in a tiny fraction of what you cost.

If the public service was a business it would have gone bust years ago; it's essentially bankrupt and bankrupting the country.

"Drawing the PUP" is what some of us were forced to do when the government closed our employers and businesses. Unlike swathes of public servants who were unemployed but still got their full pay, while "working from home", "contact tracing" and other such silly euphemisms for being unemployed but on full pay.

I would gladly have swapped with any unemployed pubic servant and taken their (grossly overpaid) salary and let them "draw' the PUP but there wouldn't be many takers.

I know that-the private sector is irrelevant unlike the public sector paid out of the public purse

• Advertisement

As is the PUP and the dole you've been enjoying while preparing your clever responses.

Did you apply for any of the many vacant public sector roles while you were lazing on the couch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I contribute to the public purse as a tax payer.

As already stated, you pay a small proportion back of the cost.

The origin of the taxed income is public money so it’s like a bankrupt Ponzi scheme, at best

Says the lad who sat out the pandemic on his couch on the PUP, complaining about nurses not doing enough work.

I’ve paid significant taxes all of my working life from privately generated income unlike the ps who are in a permanent type of high level welfare/dole for life.

I have used my time extremely effectively to retrain in order to generate even higher taxes to be swallowed up by the grasping insatiable public servants.

As for lazing on the couch, unfortunately not as I haven’t had time unlike the public servants at home since March 2020 watching box sets while on their full welfare.

As for a role in the public sector, that could well be an attractive option in the future if I fancy a no-pressure active retirement type of job. Might drive me mad through being amongst the institutionalised 40-year schemers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭KaneToad

These debates are often characterised by private sector "mavericks" who don't fully understand the role of the public sector in facilitating a private sector.

They are also usually "self made" mavericks who honestly believe that it is solely their unique talents that have gotten them to where they are today.

They say ignorance is bliss...

Must have been great to have all that free time at the State's expense to educate yourself, while the rest of us were keeping the country running, keeping essential services going. Awful shame that your education didn't help you to understand the reality of what is happening in the public service today, with people moving in and out of private sector roles all the time. Maybe you need to educate yourself a bit more?

Yes I did put the forced and unecessary employment loss to good use. I didn't laze around scamming the taxpayer pretending to be "working from home" while on full public servant welfare, invisible from the unemployment statistics but a much greater burden to the taxpayer and adding to the national debt.

I do understand that the government is being forced to gradually privatise/contract out many previously-public services due to waste and intransigence of the not-fit-for purpose public sector. This means the services are delivered efficiently, staff deployed where required rather than where it suits them, can be dismissed and held accountable; all of this being the antithesis of the public service.

The public sector is facilitating the private sector-the state of the former is leading to private sector growth as services are having to be contracted out.

I would gladly take ignorance over knowing the stark reality of how the public service works.

I didn't laze around scamming the taxpayer pretending to be "working from home" while on full public servant welfare, invisible from the unemployment statistics but a much greater burden to the taxpayer and adding to the national debt.

This means the services are delivered efficiently, staff deployed where required rather than where it suits them, can be dismissed and held accountable; all of this being the antithesis of the public service.

You mean pretending to be "working from home" like the way these public servants did?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/passport-office-staff-redeployed-to-covid-19-roles-1.4278845

I find its always those who think they know the most, who shout the loudest, - that turn out to be the most utterly clueless.

I'll put money on it that you had no problem with the private sector employers who paid their staff full wages fully subsidised by EWSS, when they had little or no work at all. Someone actually started a thread on it HERE, about how they were literally sitting on their ass at home during the pandemic and getting paid for doing nothing.

Now personally, I don't begrudge them the money. It was an emergency situation, that is now winding down. But you can be pretty damn sure theirs wasn't the only employer who took full advantage.

So, why don't you head over to that thread, and berate the OP for taking the money?

If it was 'forced and unnecessary', why didn't you sign up for many of the public sector roles that were recruited over that period? All too handy to be sitting on the couch on the PUP 'retraining' yourself. Was it a Springboard course you did, or what? I'm not sure why you think you get brownie points for it being 'forced and unnecessary'? That was a decision of 'the real economy' that you're so in love with, so surely you'd see that as a good thing? Do you think public servants who found themselves reallocated to a variety of different roles were 'forced and unnecessary'?

That's pure nonsense about the Government being 'forced' to privatise. Where do you get this stuff from?

Government has chosen to privatise some services, generally new, additional services rather than existing ones, with mixed results, and dramatic reductions in working conditions, racing to the bottom to ensure that only the privileged few have the chance to actually get a house or anything luxurious like that.

Yeah I read that article at the time. The ps propaganda machine was cranked up due to growing public disquiet over many public servants being off work on full pay. The article couldn't be more vague using terms such as "some" and "dozens". It's a circular argument about public servants being unemployed on full pay and virtually impossible to prove, which public servants know full well of course. An FOI request could be made but I doubt it would be of much use with much redaction and GDPR clauses.

There just couldn't be an official record of publicly paid employees being off work on full pay while anyone in the private sector had to survive on the PUP-there'd be uproar which would perhaps bring about the long-overdue reform.

As for the EWSS, I know business that profited from such state supports and while this is annoying, it's a one-off as was the €60Bn spent on propping up the financial system. Whereas public sector pay is €23Bn a year, every year and rising exponentially.

Redaction and GDPR apply to personal data, not to roles, organisations, staffing numbers, reorganisations and more. Fire ahead with your FOIs there. It will be fascinating to see the results.

It becomes more and more obvious with every post that you have no actual information to base your nonsensical claims on.

Businesses and employers were forcibly shut by the government not themselves 😂. I know public servants exist in a cosseted bubble but surely even you must know this?

The private sector carries out many state functions now-local development companies and agency nurses to name just two. The cost is high but not in the long run as there's no superannuation to pay, staff deployed when and where needed, services available when they're needed. In summary, public services to suit the public not the cushy lives of public servants.

"Reductions in working conditions" = actually fulfilling the purpose of the public service (which FYI is not to pay wages)

"Racing to the bottom" aka the market rate for the job rather than some makey-uppy time-served incremental rate 50% above the private sector equivalent.

I'm familiar with FOI requests and know how they work hence my post. As stated, there'd be no official record of public servants effectively unemployed but on full pay. The real government, senior civil servants, would never allow that to happen.

But it doesn't matter anyway-you've got away with it as you do with everything else. The only consequence is the hardening of public cynicism towards public servants, which is most unfortunate for those that do have a work ethic in the public service. It must be soul destroying for them surrounded by ineptitude and indifference.

• Advertisement

Public Offices were forcibly shut too, but we adapted and continued on working at home.

But you proved my point - I was right, you're perfectly fine with the fact that private sector workers were receiving full pay at taxpayers expense for literally sitting on their asses at home, (you call it "annoying") - but when shown proof that public servants were NOT sitting at home and were, in fact, being redeployed to other roles it's "vague" and "PS propoganda".

Such a double standard. Actually, I think hypocrisy describes it better.

I don't know what the significance or relevance of "sitting on their asses" is. And I don't know anyone who has such an animal.

Whether public servants were sitting or lying on their couches watching boxsets while on full pay is equally infuriating.

Vague articles are not "proof" and that article is propaganda.

And yes, the state supporting businesses that didn't need it is annoying, but again, it was temporary and a one-off. The cost of government cars, drivers and flights et al are annoying too but all of the above are fiscally insignificant compared to the money pit that is public sector pay.

Nitpicking, is that all you have left now?

But seeing that you brought it up again, I find it interesting how you specifically targetted the Passport Office in one of your earlier rants, but didn't mention reading the article about those staff being redeployed at the time.

Basically, you're making it up as you go along. You have no facts.

You should put more of your time and efforts into your jobseeking. You obviously have too much time on your hands.

Nitpicking back at you and your evocative terms and hyperbole.

You must be confusing me with someone else-I haven't ranted once rather lamented over how the public service works or rather doesn't work.

You really are stuck on that article aren't you. How many times do you need me to repeat my response to it? This is worse than trying to get some action from a public sector department.

Feel free to ignore my posts. I'm sure you're earnestly working away in the PS, I wouldn't want to distract you.

Feel free to ignore my posts. I'm sure you're earnestly working away in the PS, I wouldn't want to distract you.

Best suggestion you've made all thread.

By the way - it's a public holiday today. But you probably didn't notice on account of the fact that you've been sitting on your ass at home - sorry, I mean "retraining" while claiming PUP for the last two years.

can i ask a mod what this is even doing in state benefits!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Had 2 public servants out to visit my place of work in the last week, arrived in separate cars. Is this because of Covid?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Separate mileage claims.

However at least they came in two separate cars rather than one and then claiming individually.

I've seen public servants attending conferences (during the working day on full pay, of course) 4-5 travelling in one car and each claiming mileage and meal allowances as if they'd travelled in their own vehicles.

Oh did you think there was an obligation to reply? Most unusual for a PS employee to reply even when they are obliged to.

I don't own an ass. Do you have a thing for the horse family?

Public holidays are a challenge for many public servants as their productivity level is about the same as a working day. Same goes for retirement.

And now with the added difficulty of "working from home", it's been one long public (servant) holiday since March 2020.

• Advertisement

I've seen public servants attending conferences (during the working day on full pay, of course) 4-5 travelling in one car and each claiming mileage and meal allowances as if they'd travelled in their own vehicles.

So now public servants are not supposed to be paid for mileage or meals or their salary while attending conferences during their working day?

But more interestingly, pray tell us all how you somehow managed to gain access to the details of these public servants personal mileage claims? Seeing as you're not a public servant yourself.

Remember, to claim for meals, a minimum distance away from the office location must be travelled to qualify.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement