Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 nations and world championship 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Why are all U20s not on tonight?

Sunday usually tends to be a dead type of day for rugby games. Atmosphere not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

How do you lads compare this edition to previous sides? It is tough to gauge these players and not all make academies.

However, I believe there's a couple of future international players amongst this crew. Certainly quite a few that will do well in the urc and Europe.

For me. Culhane has been the pick of the crop. Followed by Campbell and Crothers. There's no shortage of talent here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I think Culhane has been the most eye-catching, but I don't know that he's been the best player.

Boyle has the hype, and is indeed very good, but I like McGuire. Thought he really stood up in the England game. Campbell I think has been patchy - some great moments, some not-so-great.

Postlethwaite seems to be the real deal.

Of course, it's hard to tell. Lewis Finlay was really good for the U20s, and has gone to some English championship side.

Yea! It is difficult to assess. Boyle has been good. The pack have been great. Last years were great too!

Ulster do have a gaggle of forward talent to bring in! I really liked Wilson. He looks a fine scrummager. These lads will hopefully be the backbone of Ulster in 4 or 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Aitzol King certainly made his mark last week. Hope he can build on that

Agreed. But someone asked why he wasn't starting for the U20s, and the answer is he started against - and looked very ordinary against - France. So hopefully this last performance is the level he can play at consistently, and he just needed to settle in.

'Cause he was a bloody beast against England.

Probably the wrong thread but I watched 2 Leinster sct matches. Kilkenny v St Mary's and Newbridge v Belvo. Great entertainment! Newbridge are very plucky and well drilled. Belvo couldn't get a call if their lives depended on it! Kilkenny are good also, but St Mary's looked more dangerous with the ball.

Bernard Jackman is so annoying! He trips over his tongue and he's good for "in fairness to....." a dozen times a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

In fairness to Jackman, he’s a total bluffer. Who does zero preparation and just brings everything back to anecdotes about his playing days or coaching days. He offers little to no actual insight or punditry to the modern game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its on the rte news channel again i take it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,102 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Couldn't disagree more, he's easily one of the best in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lfcheaven-1892

Thoughts on Tector throughout this year's Championship? The UK Indo claimed he is one of the five U20 players to be reckoned with in the future, but I've noticed that he has been criticised on this thread a number of times.

He's been good, but I wouldn't have him in the top five "players to be reckoned with" in the Ireland team, never mind the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Only 18! Jaysus!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ah that pass was a mile forward.

This is gonna be a rout.

Scotland as bad as they have been throughout the tournament. Reminds me a bit of the senior team's game against England in 2018 - Grand Slam in the bag before half time.

You really have to ask what the Welsh and Scottish development setups are doing (or not doing) in recent years to be consistently producing teams that are this bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ireland have just been so good in this game against Scotland. The tries in this game been amazing. They have had a great setup all tournament to win the Grand Slam this year.

There is no doubt out there that the lads in this Irish setup are going to become very successful rugby players within the Men's setup in the future.

Also well done to Scotland for scoring that try. At least it's something for their efforts.

• Advertisement

Congrats to all involved. Great to see them rewarded

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

I've been really impressed with the two starting props - Boyle and Mcguire. Both could have huge futures at international level. Mcguire being 6'4" and 118kg, could fill a gap in the market for a big hulking tighthead we haven't produced in years. Boyle just has everything you want in a loosehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Very well prepared team. It was like watching J4’s against firsts. Fantastic to see the development pathways working so well.

I wouldn't be hanging about in terms of getting Boyle involved in Leinster games, the sooner he starts playing URC rugby, the sooner he will be ready to push for the senior squad, because we're light at loose head and longer term he looks destined to be a senior international in any case. Might as well get the process started.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Well done Ireland , great achievement all - same as Seniors, Italy bet Wales , they should have a decent competive team in a couple of years I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Rey Hot Fork

I'm nit sure that's really how it works. Particularly at prop

Great effort by a truly great team. Very well coached and very cohesive. Each of the last 4 or 5 u20's have been very good.

Of course, how this translates into senior rugby is still to be seen. I would hope these lads all get the chance. Some are already in academies and going into year 2.

Of the lads not in academies, I think Devine is a cert for Connacht. Maybe a couple of others will venture out west.

Ulster have a crop of really top rate talent amongst this crop! Wilson should make the academy as should McLoughlin, MacNabney and MacNamee! Hopefully, Glasgow and Hanlon get the opportunity.

For Leinster, Culhane should be picked up! Tector probably will and Gibbons and Brownlee also.

Of the rest, there's Michel, Mallon, Morrissey and King. Perhaps Leinster take a couple. O'Tighearaigh is just 18! He's likely to do sub academy.

Connacht could pick up some good players.

The future looks bright.

P.S If anyone feels like uploading the matches....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tector always looks like he's playing in wellies or something. Good player but not the most graceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Shehal

Advertisement