Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

matchbox2021 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Wow the ignorant clown actually called Irish stupid. This absolute disaster of a President! I await the usual deflection and crying from Biden apologists on here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Your evidence for Biden calling Irish people stupid is a video of him not calling Irish people stupid? That’s good detective work

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well he said the exact same thing 2 years ago and received some backlash then. Because yes, the inference is there. Anyone who understands english would see that surely! Probably forgot about that. Lots of older people repeat the same stories I guess.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/biden-in-hot-water-for-saying-i-may-be-irish-but-im-not-stupid-jxz63vk75

• Advertisement

Guess it’s not that much of a “disaster” then, since he went on to be president.

The inference is that Irish people have been painted as stupid by the English and US Wasps for centuries, but it isn’t true.

Irish people being stupid is a common racist trope that still goes on today. Biden isn’t saying Irish people are stupid, he’s saying he’s Irish and not stupid. It’s hardly that difficult to understand.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Strange but not surprising you would see it that way I'm sure you would be foaming at the mouth if Trump had said it but when Blundering Biden calls you stupid and you give him a pass.

If Biden called me stupid, I wouldn’t give him a pass. You’re prepared to believe the worst about everything Biden says or does. I never reached that level of bias with Trump. Never mind foaming at the mouth.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its clan not klan unless you are disingenuously trying to imply the KKK.

The Biden team floated "Russia interference" when this broke and pretty much everyone took the bait and fell in line most notoriously twitter who banned the NYP because they were fighting "misinformation".

Joe himself said it was a "Russian plant" "a bunch of garbage" and that it would only be believed by "Rudy Giuliani"

Well Joe what do you have to say now ?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

If anyone wishes to discuss Hunter Biden start a thread on him

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Well that puts to bed the "she was only appointed because she's a black woman" narrative but no doubt the usual suspects will try to spin it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Really enjoyed President Bidens little reality check on Putin. Said he is a war criminal. Which he is. Likely drove the Kremlin nuts because when the President of the USA says something like this it still really matters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

You mean he didn’t call his actions genius?

How odd.

Biden has been strong on this from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Agreed. I think Biden will come out of this well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Joey standing up to the dictators.

Common sense is back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

No it doesnt. It merely means that, like many other candidates to include the most recent appointee, Barrett, she gets best possible rating the ABA has to offer. It doesn’t imply that she is the best of all the candidates, even of all the black female candidates.

Biden was very upfront that he would select a black woman. That doesn’t mean that she won’t make a good Supreme Court judge, it does mean that she was only eligible for consideration because of her race and gender.

I never said she was the best of all candidates, merely that the diversity hire rubbish thrown at Kamala Harris by some posters here won't wash in this case either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

• Advertisement

That’s not how it works. The question in the US is not whether or not she was a “diversity hire”, she very evidently is because the primary pre-requisite for consideration was race and gender, only secondly was the narrowing down by capability. The question of whether diversity hires are a good thing, however, is one which has adherents on both sides of the spectrum. Biden’s position, and that of many others, is that selection on the basis of diversity is a good thing in itself because increased diversity on the court (or corporate board, or university staff or whatever) is beneficial. He’s not attempting to deny it.

I have not mentioned Harris, except to say that as a San Francisco resident during her time as DA and later a Senator, I was not impressed by her and would not have voted for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,152 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What did she do or not do, Nicholas, that persuaded you that you wouldn't have voted for her?

That's not an attack, BTW, merely a question. I have no real opinion on Harris either way. To me, she's been fairly innocuous. Neither someone to rave about or to damn.

Yes, Biden said he'd appoint a black woman but It just demeans her qualifications and experience when she's constantly referred to as a token appointment. And there are those that will revel in doing so. There's nothing to suggest she wouldn't have been on the list of candidates if there was no regard shown to race or gender.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Who was the best candidate Biden could have put forward, then?

I've asked this question of anyone who questions the appointment of Jackson and nobody has been able to answer it thus far.

Biden making this appointment is no different to Trump appointing Barrett, when he said he would appoint a woman to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg and those throwing out the 'token appointment' trope weren't making it then.

On a personal level, I disagreed with a number of her policies varying from immigration enforcement to firearms, more so than most other Democrat candidates so by Primary time I had already resolved to go with another candidate even before she had dropped out. She would also crop up in local news a lot more than you would hear in the national news for smaller decisions or statements, which I can't recall specifically a decade and a half later but definitely left a 'taste'.

The more controversial issues which were a liability for her from people who were more inclined to agree with policies vary from her 'on again/off again' positions on things like police cameras, prisoner release or capitol punishment, questions like "Why did she refuse to prosecute Mnuchin's old company and happen to be the only donor recipient from Mnuchin" or her covering up malfeasance in the SF crime lab (over a thousand cases had to be dropped as a result), or when State AG, her office's acceptance of prosecutorial misconduct (eg Efrain and Baca both involving perjury by prosecutors). You will find a number of articles in various media if you do a search for something like 'Kamela harris controversial history' or the likes.

An ultimately minor development in the house, the Representative from Alaska has died.

He’s been in there forever, since the 70s, when his democratic opponent disappeared in what is I guess a cold case, because their plane was never found.

I wonder what this means for Alaskans, and if this will be a battleground state for its single House seat?

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/alaska-congressman-don-young-has-died/

I have absolutely no idea. There are 178 other Federal Appeals Judges, before looking at other possibilities like State supreme courts such as Kruger's potential nomination, and I certainly don't know more than a dozen by name. Jackson may or may not be better than all 178 of them. However, at least 166 of those were eliminated from consideration before any discussion as to legal merit was entered into, or even consideration from lower courts (Is Childs, from the lower District level, also interviewed as a potential nominee, better than all 165+ ineligible Circuit Court judges? I think it unlikely). An attempt to argue that Jackson is or would be a better judge than any other is inherently unfounded on the information we appear to have.

Obviously Biden had other criteria in mind than just pure legal ability. Maybe he feels that having a more diverse makeup on the court will increase public faith in the court as an institution and that that will be a benefit which more than makes up for just being a 'good enough' judge instead of 'the absolute best.' Remember, part of the argument in the US is the argument between "Affirmative action is sociologically good" and the legal principle of "we are supposed to be color, religion and sex blind." Both positions have some merit, and arguments against also both have merit.

Bascially, and to his credit, Biden's position is "this is a diversity hire" and he's owning it.

IDK why people still act shocked by it either, Trump promised to put a woman on the bench, too (and he did).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,133 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Biden is doing a great job in my opinion. I'm very happy with the sanctions on Russia and no troops going in. Nobody wants a world war and the right thing is being done.

I'm still worried that US/Russia relations are in a bad place but hopefully all the sanctions put Putin back in his box.

As regards the comment about him being Irish and not stupid I can't see how anybody can see that as him saying Irish people are stupid.

As for Ketanji Brown Jackson, as the ABA said, she's a well qualified candidate. It's great to have a diverse candidate whose that highly qualified and thought of.

• Advertisement

Had a dude this morning complain to me she legally represented gitmo terrorists. And that she had the audacity to defend her client “zealously” - as they put it. Which is literally the job role of a lawyer, zealous advocate. The attacks on her character are really quite desperate.

Advertisement