Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It says it at the bottom of your screenshot. It used to be the first price shown I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's the first price shown I checked it this morning. Maximum **** hawkery. You have to click buttons to get the real price.

Should be illegal. And not just tesla. All car Marques pulling fast ones with prices.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You shouldn’t have to click any buttons.

When I go to,the Tesla site, I scroll down to MY, click custom order and the OTR price is displayed in the bottom left (69,800). It alters as you select different spec, wheels etc but it’s not hidden or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I thought the cheapest Y was around 65K , so that's only allowing for " running cost savings " ?

Guy in video is pleased but certainly doesn't dismiss bumpy ride accusations

I remember the motors forum saying the same thing about MSport BMW’s over the years.

Yes, it’s a harder ride with the 20” wheels. It you sacrifice that for the looks IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Here's what it shows on mobile. Definitely makes it look like the cost is €63,990 and I'd imagine lots of people don't notice the actual figure at the bottom.

I suppose it’s the same on other makes sites when they add in delivery related charges after the initial price.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Bovakinn

It's also defaulted to the more expensive induction wheels which adds an extra €2300.

The website remembers your last selection. Probably cookies or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Ah here, I think you’re being overly generous - no other manufacturer is doing this. its nearly €10k more expensive, and it’s not based on fixed prices like delivery or features, its misadvertising based on an arbitrary calculations of fuel savings, which will differ for everyone, over an arbitrary period of years.

it’s simply wrong. the only reason we’re discussing it is because even Model Y fans or buyers here on the thread are struggling to figure it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

I agree. I found it confusing when we were looking at m3. Does initially give impression the cars have a lower RRP. As for that expected savings nonsense..

Im not advocating it.

I just countered that you didn’t have to click through menus to find the purchase price.

Theres 3 figures on screen. The €63k figure. I agree, this is confusing and have no idea what it is? I do have a feeling it’s the car price before VRT etc

The €72k price. This is the purchase price.

The “after savings” price should be banned. Completely agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I don't know why they are still using that. If anything it looks incompetent / unprofessional. As @sk8board says those figures are meaningless anyway as they depend on your circumstances. Car makers should only advertise the on the road price. Has no one complained about this (here or abroad) to an advertising standards committee? That said, it obviously is not on the same level of the deceptiveness as Toyota "self charging" ads - that are still allowed in Ireland but not in many other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭3d4life

Did a double take when I saw a white 221D MY on Shelbourne Road lunchtime yesterday

Is this the first in the country ?

Anyone here own it ?

Somehow it looks much bigger than a M3 ( presume there is more room inside too :) )

It is much bigger! They have the Model 3 and Model Y side by side in the showroom in Sandyford. Go have a look for yourself. I didn't even think the Model Y looked that much like a Model 3. More a slightly smaller Model X

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

I saw model y in maynooth today look a nice car in white.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Havent Hyundai adopted the 'self charging' phrase as well for their hybrid models? While its clearly questionable marketing spiel surely it's not factually inaccurate.. who else but the car charges the batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

I saw a shiny red one today around baggot street. Looked well with the black wheels. Grey one last Saturday in Naas too so there are a few knocking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭3d4life

Was it a Model X ? was my first thought.......so checked doors....didnt open up, so No..... not M3....therefore MY

"A slightly smaller Model X" is just it !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Saw a black one in East Cork on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

The petrol you put in the tank. The engine converts the thermal energy released by burning petrol into mechanical energy, some of it gets recuperated and converted it into electrical energy which gets converted back into mechanical energy by the electrical motor. Think of it as two tanks that communicate through a pipe. You put petrol in one and both are getting filled. If I put a diesel generator in my frunk can I claim I have a self charging EV?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Are these in Ireland already? Could swear I seen 3-4 of them on the motorway (opposite direction) today going towards Cork. Think they were all white, maybe 1 blue. Too big to be a 3, to many to be an X.

Yes they've been in the country for a few weeks now. Earlier in the thread were pics of what was the first batch landing off the ship. I believe there are two on Irish reg in Tesla Sandyford available for test drives

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Cool. That's was them so. Wonder were there Cork owners who went to Dublin to collect. They were spaced out about 15-20 minutes apart... Almost like one was handed over after another.

The White after white after white was a bit depressing. Is that too keep them within reach of the grant, or just because white is cheapest on what's already a pricey car?

Because white is the cheapest. No grants on the Model Y. That said, with this week's price increase of the Model 3, you can't have both an upgraded colour and any other upgrade, or you will lose the grant.

A bit like my brother in law who went to buy an Audi Q4 base model last month. He said "I want the blue colour". The salesman said: "no, you want the grey colour.". "No", said my brother in law, "that colour isn't very nice. I want the blue colour". Says the salesman "if you chose any other colour, the car will be €6000 more". Says my brother in law "I want the base grey colour" 😂

Unfortunately, even though he bought his car for Q1 '23 delivery, Audi cancelled the order on him. And on pretty much any other Irish buyer in a similar boat. EVs are still only produced in very small numbers and supply is even further limited because of COVID and war. While now everyone wants to buy an EV.

Many cork owners got to collect their cars from the cork pop up showroom. They don’t have to come to Dublin to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Sorry if it has been asked but any idea is a standard Model Y is coming to the Irish market - any timeline and any thoughts will the cost be at the same breaks as the Model 3 putting it at 67k ish?

Saw one in the flesh today I was blown away.

There is no standard MY at present. Officially.

There’s rumours a new EPA tested car might be but it’s an AWD car and they don’t normally be a standard car.

The MY SR was removed due to unacceptable low range seemly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Thanks Gumbo - great to see you are still dispensing the Tesla knowledge - I must say it looked awesome - really really awesome - I have booked a test drive in the meantime but really can’t justify the price - I have a year old Model 3 which spends all week in my driveway I feel like it’s a Sunday car.

Advertisement