Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I agree, the refs need to keep blowing for throw balls. But they badly need Croke Park to back them by speaking out in their support and to tell the likes of Anthony Daly to cop on. The media need to get on board and stop putting the blame on the refs. The coaches are cheating not the refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,579 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yup this is it exactly. If anything, we need a statement from the GAA/Croke Park on the situation and not having Donal Óg, Anthony Daly etc with the 'ah lookit we'll see come Championship time if they'll still be calling for them'

A real telling point would be a Championship Quarter/Semi/Final. If they indeed are calling for throw balls then fair play. My worry would be the 'criticism' they'd get if one is wrong (while being ignored for the multiple correct calls of course) and being labelled a 'cheat' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Its a sad day when Brian Cody's old school, and the nursery of many Kilkenny and Village stars, have to go into Roinn B in the primary schools competition.

It's strange and sad that there are so few hurlers in a school that has traditionally been so strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Hopefully not a portent of the trajectory the county goes after his stewardship there ends.

The following extract from the GBCallan website is very telling. It demonstrates what can be achieved if the priorities are right. A relatively small school punching above its weight but willing to take on the big guns and thus improve their own players. Roinn A titles followed, as did success at minor and under 21, and then 2 Senior A titles. The alternative was to play away in lower grades at primary school level and perhaps win more titles down there - highly unlikely the success they had would have followed.

Extract -

The arrival of Jim Neary to Kilmanagh National School in 1974 saw the parish primary school set off on an unprecedented period of under-age success. Hurling at Roinn C level when he arrived, he soon had the school competing at Roinn A level. The school contested twelve county finals in a row, winning many titles.

Post edited by Grats on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ttowncat

The primary schools hurling in kilkenny is totally broken, ruined by the size and pick that canices have. It's no wonder so many schools are scrambling to get into roinn B. It's totally pointless trying for silverware in roinn A.

And is it true that canices are getting extensions and new buildings to grow in size?

It's not doing the canices lads or the rest of the county any favours as young lads are disillusioned with it.

And not a damn thing can be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I heard Canices and the Gaelscoil are playing in a league with the Roinn B teams over the coming weeks. But as things stand in the schools championship ( if that's the correct term) only those two schools are in Roinn A so its a one off match to win it, while there are a good number of teams in Roinn B.

Hopefully some of the country schools will move up to Roinn A once they see how they go in they league.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,867 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

There is a solution where canices could field two equal teams recognising in the process that nobody gives a toss really about what school wins the roinn a and that developing lots of players is way more important. That would also mean more other schools willing to go into the roinn a so lots more meaningful games.

It's funny though, when I was in canices we would play gaelscoil in challenges because it was the only match up either team could have where they wouldn't get a hammering from someone (and in my class the were more lads playing soccer than hurling). Things have changed a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I think part of it is that a lot of sliotars are made in sweatshops in Pakistan etc. and by agreeing to this, the GAA are trying to sort out the ethical side of it.

I agree 100% in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Let’s just say Pats is no longer posh enough for the parents of the locale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Although Waterford have already qualified for the semi finals I've no doubt both teams will go for it. Waterford have a few big names to come back so this will be a great test for our younger lads. It will be intresting to see how teams approach things from here.Cork/wexford and Waterford would love a bit of silverware but as people have rightly said it's a very quick turnaround before the championship starts. Cork have Limerick In the 1st round. Our first two games are against laois and westmeath so if we lose Sunday this will be the last real competitive until round 3 of the round robin.It looks like deegan could stay at 6 and blanchfield and carey have plenty of energy and can get up and down the pitch.its a pity Tom phelan pulled up the last day.Donnelly could start instead of him but wallys form is encouraging. Padriag is also a addition in the forwards . We'll probably see a few of the shamrocks lads back on the panel and hopefully eased back into things its after being a tough time for them. Does anyone know what's the story with tj did he have the operation or how long is he out for?

Mention of TJ, I imagine as soon as an update of his likely surgery is posted here, John Fogarty in the Examiner will report a "scoop"!

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

It's a race between Fogarty in the Examiner and Denis Walsh of the Sunday Times. To be fair the Examiner is a great paper for the hurling & GAA in general.

Thoroughly agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Kierans match is on tg4 today..its a fantastic station for sport in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Best of luck to Kierans. Regardless of my previous comments on them I do hope the young lads get it done on what will be the biggest day some of them will ever have in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Not to be. Better team won.

Kierans deservedly beaten I'm afraid but without wanting to labour a point the throwing of the ball by the Limerick school has been unbelievable.

The pass for the goal was a clear throw. If players of this age are not penalised for doing it then I really fear for what the game is going to look like in years to come.

Ironically the only time the ref blew for a throw was against a Kierans player - and it was a throw as well.

Kierans left their best hurling behind them the last day which was something I thought might happen. Some players didn't perform at all and just couldn't turn their periods of dominance into scores. The missed goal before HT was the turning point.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

The better team won. Kieran’s lack of goal threat today was fairly evident. Even after their best player the full back went off injured kierans didn't look a threat. Kierans really lacked a top class forward. Worrying from a kilkenny perspective as many of these players were also starters on last year's minor team who despite alot being expected of them ultimately were very poor. You would have to wonder where the next tj is going to come from? On the other hand joe Fitz at centre back was superb.

ASR deserved their win, but Kieran’s will be desperately disappointed with their performance and game plan. So many forwards didn’t turn up. Just 0-6 from starting forwards is highly unlikely to win an AI in Croke Park on an almost perfect day for hurling.

Eaten alive on both team's puck puts all day, I'd say puck out stats were nothing short of a calamity for Kieran’s. It was yet another day when a Kilkenny team looked like it had no real game plan, conversely ASR had their game planned to a tee. Two ASR supporters in front of us knew exactly where puck outs were going, what a player in possesion was going to do with ball etc. A classic recent development where a KK team looked like they were tactically deficient agaisnt a Munster team that had spades of work done and duly applied it well.

ASR full back line were very good but helped by awful quality of ball into Kieran's FF line. Bad day at office for some highly rated KK forwards, but Joe Fitzpatrick looks a serious prospect, lots of hurling, big as a house, looks like he can shift and a great striker. Fingers crossed he has a big future.

PS

Not denying ASR their deserved win but agree with previous poster that they did indulge in a lot of throwing of the sliotar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

A bit of perspective on Kieran’s. 5 of that forward line are in 5th year and eligible for next year. They also lost their full back earlier in the year. He was missed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Yeah ard scoil needed that more. They lost too many finals to Kierans and the Harty final aswell. In all fairness Munster schools probably value the Harty more than the All Ireland . That's true. But Kierans are a great school ..just ASR had abit better coaching and were more developed physically.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Something which I observed yesterday which I hope doesn't become part and parcel of the game was the rugby style patting by ARS players on the head/back of an opponent whenever a free (usually fairly dubious one to boot) was awarded against Kierans or when a free was missed.

You have to imagine this was coached into their players with the rugby tradition that is on Limerick. Harry Shine was clearly singled out for this so I'm guessing it wasn't an organic thing that just transpired on the day.

Yes, it is ugly and unsporting but sadly widespread and even sadder as you say that it is obviously being coached. Shine did get a lot of "attention" and Ireland Wall was twice dragged to ground when introduced, Joe Fitzpatrick when moved forward late on was greeted with an immediate dig, gave one back and the ASR player when down like he was shot (ref saw incident and waved play on).

On the poster saying Munster schools value a provincial medal more than an All-Ireland? Frankly I think this is untrue. I feel when Munster schools lose AIs they conveniently cite this one. Even if it were true, it would be madness (and insulting to schools in other provinces), valuing a provincial medal over an AI. Seriously?

Hard luck to Kieran’s (especially to lads who won’t be back next year) but they will be disappointed at how they performed, especially forwards. There were aspects to ASR play that I don’t like, and feel are symptomatic of some of the ugly elements of modern coaching, but they were the better team and had some smashing hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Better team won yesterday and you wouldn't begrudge them a win after a few losses.. ...you have to remember these lads are only children and once the first ball goes wide confidence can drop very quickly..if kierans lads had started better could have been a different story altogether..

As for lads claiming that the provincial means more than the all Ireland it's a bit like being turned down by a girl and telling the lads you weren't that keen on her anyway 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Rubbish St Flannans always liked wining all irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

KK v WAT 

E Murphy 

M Butler H Lawlor T Walsh 

M Carey R Reid D Blanchfield 

C Kenny C Buckley 

W Walsh P Walsh A Mullen 

B Ryan M Keoghan A Murphy 

Subs 

D Brennan 

D Corcoran 

C Delaney 

J Maher 

M Kenny 

J Donnelly 

E Cody 

R Hogan 

T O Dwyer 

J Bergin 

S Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Village87

A highly rated bunch who were very poor for Kilkenny in the minor Championship also. We really needed this bunch to deliver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

Still plenty of time for the lads to develop. Think people overemphasize underage results at times here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 The Flying Donkey

Re: Kierans v ASR: I believe 13/15 of Kierans are eligible next year and it told in the physical stakes. For example, Shane O’Brien is an excellent hurler but it will be interesting when lads catch up to him size wise. Plus the ref let the game go which suits the bigger side invariably.

ASR were more efficient shooting wise which was really the difference. Kierans missed chances that they would normally put over in their sleep.

I thought Kierans have a few lads who should become senior hurlers for KK if they develop a bit further - Joe Fitzpatrick (great long range shooter), Padraig Lennon (great hands and balance), Killian Doyle (reminds me of his club colleague Derek Lyng), James Carroll (excellent to win dirty ball out of rucks), Ted Dunne (serious paw on him) and Harry Shine (not his day on Thursday but you can see the talent and he’ll learn from a day like that). Anthony Ireland Wall looked electric the couple times he was on the ball; may need to learn not to take too much out of the ball. He’s minor this year so it will be interesting how he fares. Plus when you take the 9 Kilkenny lads on the Good Counsel team as well, there’s a good base to work with. I have real high hopes for Marty Murphy (he’s a great ball winner) and Billy Reid is lovely stylish wing back.

Advertisement