Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timeless watch channel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭scwazrh

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looks like his was already sold 😂 mint, full set, his asking was GBP22k (€26k)

Oisin posted a few days ago that he’s reducing his collection. He’s sold two yachtmasters and a sub up for sale today . Maybe he’s going all in on AP? Odd that he’s selling Rolex when he’s spent the last few months acquiring nearly one of each steel model available

And he always made out to be that his rhodium yachtmaster was his favourite watch. Didn't realise he had another yachtmaster too, I didn't think so?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Rhodium yachtmaster really isnt the thing, in fact i didnt really like the rhodium dial DJ41 either, far too little contrast imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I think his original YM was one of his first vids and one of his first Rolex, think just seeing the guy progressing his tastes as times goes. Sure everyone's had a watch they loved but sold to get other things.

He hasnt mentioned selling the Rhodium , Its the blue dial and the platinum dial.

I didn't think he owned a blue dial one? That would surprise me to be honest, as I seem to remember in his original video of his rhodium yachtmaster that he belittled the blue one as childish or something like that. He obviously didn't like it.

He’s been posting on his stories the last while that he’s basically been buying any stainless steel models he finds cause “prices are only going one way “

He hasn’t owned them long enough to be cashing out though.His recent watches have been more high value with the AP and gold sub so maybes he’s rolling some watches into higher end stuff .

Screenshot below of his blue dial for sale - just to surprise unkle

You are much better informed than I am, @scwazrh!

I only really watch his proper watch reviews and Venice vids, can barely even watch the unboxings without skipping through most of it and I hate any of those live streams or "collabs" 🙄 on any of the watch channels, even if they were just 10 minutes long instead of 3 hours I wouldn't have the patience to sit through any of that boring ****. And that is just YT videos, I ignore any other parts of YT or any other social media for that matter 😂

My memory didn't fail me though (10:08):

"A lot of people prefer the blue, I don't know why (sighs). Maybe it's got more eh loudness to it or something. Ehm personally when I see the blue, it looks a little bit childish next to the rhodium"

• Advertisement

Id rather the blue , Ive had the 39mm op in rhodium and currently have the 41mm datejust in wimbledon dial which is Rhodium.It blends in with the white gold bezel and doesnt pop in colour the way you would want it to .Id say its even more boring with a platinum bezel.But the Rhodium was his first Rolex and we all tend to remember our first in a positive way .

Agree with you on the live streams , cringefest is the best way to descibe them and thats not just his stuff , its all the watch you tubers "superchats".Id love to know how much they earn from them cause they all seem to love the pay per question format .

Nothing is forgotten on the internet, so expecting consistency is maybe asking a bit much. But sure if you cannot change your mind you are not using it.. .....sure when he has the rhodium he says its the best....I dont think any of his own watches he reviews are anything but the pick of the group....but thats us all isn't it. Confirmation bias. Sure there would be nothing for sale second hand if everyone kept all the watches they bought.

I am with you on scrubbing through the vids unkle...I could not give a **** what sycophant shipped you some smelly cigar, what bottle of "put on best italian accent" Burrroooolllllooo you are drinking or what Seiko you have stuck in with a Richard Mille to show you is still down with de peoples...get to the main attraction and stop spoofing.

I like the YM in all its variants, but somehow the bezel is wrong to my eye. I like the blue the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Thats gas…I thought i was on my own, even dissed the guy on oisins comments..was a loner😀..he and oisin are well met i fear…

His latest video is a bit of a laugh to be fair

€6k for a 1861 moonwatch ??

Not just any 1861....thats Oisins 1861. It was once in the presence of a man that was once in the presence of Van Halen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

There appears to be an Oisin tax on any watches he sells.If that should be an added tax or deduction I suppose is up to the buyer .That said an unworn 1861 should be €5k+ so he’ll probably get it

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

He has released some kind of ww2 documentary in connection with zero west watches! Ponderous dreck, had to unsub. Also the comment section loves him, I'm convinced over half of them would suck him in a second.

I haven't watched it yet....but here are my predictions. Cannot believe he is doing another feckin Zero West....who buys that crap.

1. Breathless sombre nauseatingly serious & intense narration, with massive pauses between sentences.
    2. Intro thats too long with loud triumphant classical music.
    3. Tenuous link to some crappy money grab watch that has nothing really to do with WW2.
    4. Irishman pretending that WW2 Brittan was the peek of humanity.
    5. Multiple inaccuracies that nobody in the comments section notices.
    6. Comments section call its a tour the force and thinks it should get an Oscar.
    7. Focus pulls, and macros done with a tube lengthener so there is no field of view...this is arty dont you know.
    8. Pitch of his voice is lowered in post.
    9. Fawning sycophants in the comments are spooging all over the place.
    10. Entire documentary is a copy of Clarksons excellent WW2 documentaries where it tells a story of some individual bravery with the format of "setup" "heros call to action" "hero overcomes adversity" "hero makes sacrifice" "watch has a fragment of the heroes testicle in the case and this somehow makes the watch historic".
    11. 4 minute long outro.

Give me a few minutes and I will see how I did.

• Advertisement

You see your supposed to just fan girl over him, not question him.Do you not know that he was a rockstar???

Id say you’ve hit the nail on the head with every one of your points.I remember on one of his older videos he said that when he’s thinking of interesting shots or narrative he does whatever the BBC would do.I suppose there’s no harm in that really as bbc were top of the game for documentaries.

I wasn’t a fan of his first few videos but have watched most of his unboxing and city visit videos which I enjoyed.It’s hard to deny that when he makes a video of an interesting watch , in an interesting place without being a di*khead , the result is good.There is some talent there for matching the right piece of music with the right camera shot but it is becoming repetitive at this stage.

Theres no excuse for these glorified adverts though , I see Paul Thorpe plugs them as well so must be a few pound in it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I didn't bother my arse watching it for those reasons. An hour long too IIRC. Though as Scwazrh notes he's getting a few quid from it and their tat sells out.

Zero West watches. The Franklin Mint of Timepieces marketed to morons. VIZ comic got it so right all those years ago. It's this with a strap. 😂

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

WHAT? He was in a rockband....he never mentions it...🤣

Agree he has some talent but its fairly limited, good for YouTube mind you. 50% Talent and 50% spoofing. When he does watches in Italy they are good vids. I like the Lenny stuff too. But the veneer of charm has slipped too many times for me now (French girl, ex girlfriend, no vaccine, livestream bolloxology etc). I am not impressed with his life story or lifestyle (and thats not sour grapes, I think its actually kind of lonely) so I watch for reasons other than hero worship.

He crawled up his own hole there about a year ago and now seriously thinks of himself as a great artist, documentary maker, producer and lifestyle guru. And unlike anyone that is genuinely gifted, he has to blow his own trumpet all the time. (Anthony from the timepiece gentlemen will do it for 80 USD I hear). His sub count is stalled bigtime, so I think he has captured all the followers there are for him out there. That the comments section is so saccharine only highlights further to me the sadness, lack of life experiance and gullibility of that proportion of the watch community.

Mostly I am disappointed. At first I though "hey this guy is a straight shooter, he is Irish and a bit mysterious" but familiarity has bread contempt for me. And just like Anthony from TPG it would seem he will do anything for money.

Wibbs "The Franklin Mint of Timepieces" - I like that and am stealing that phrase, thats exactly it 100%. The creating of collectables missing the point of why things are collectable in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭redlead

His latest waffle about the speedie has just made me unsubscribe. Incredible that someone could go from having my favourite YouTube channel to making me cringe everytime he opens his mouth in the space of a year.

He is trying to wear snobbery as a badge of honour because he thinks if you are a snob you just know more than everyone else. The irony of this, is that his own juvenile attempts to relentlessly tell everyone about his own perceived sense of knowledge and culture is infact snobbery. He knows who Gustav Holst is don't you know. Who but the great man himself could possibly think of playing the planets to promote planet themed watches. Even a great travel video which he doesn't bother doing anymore can't make me put up with this level of w@nkology anymore.

Yep pretty humorous for a lad to wax about "chasing the divine"(I tapped out at that point) while happy to pimp a brand like Zero West, the Franklin Mint of watches, in hour long mashups of focus pulls, "history" through the medium of crayon while intoning so breathlessly I fear he has consumption. And like all "snobs" who as a defence unironically call themselves out before anyone else does, my listening of his various forays into areas he thinks he holds some knowledge on strongly suggests he doesn't.

Last two comments have me spewing coffee at my screen laughing.

He also claims that his "projection voice" is less deep and thats why he sounds different on these vlog vids than in his studio ones.....nothing to do with the OBS vocal filter to make his voice deeper.

Total tosh in the latest vids. He has some valid points but they are always surrounded and drowned with self aggrandising cock wombling.

You would wonder where he believes his zero west sits in the nothing but luxury camp he loves so much . And now you mention it I’ve noticed in a few of his vids lately how heavy his breathing is while trying to talk and walk at the same time

You would wonder where he believes his zero west sits in the nothing but luxury camp he loves so much .

His belief is influenced by the few quid he gets and the feelings in his ego to be entrusted with such historic pieces. Lord knows we've seen how delicate his ego is. QV the hullaballoo with the French dollybird.

And now you mention it I’ve noticed in a few of his vids lately how heavy his breathing is while trying to talk and walk at the same time

More O2 needed for the brain to run both tasks at once. I also hear he "nearly died" from covid, so that's probably it...

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

He also seems to be attempting to redefine snob in his favour. He'd never laugh at someone for the watch they wear, because apparently that's not what a snob would do, while that's actually the behaviour of an asshole. That's a pretty tight Venn diagram if you ask me. Also I'm actually surprised he has chosen to have a go at rehabilitating the word snob, a much more on brand semantic trick would have been to define himself as a connoisseur, then he could have looked down on the snobs as much as he does everybody else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The only good(?) thing I have got out of this whole Oisin saga is that I follow the French one on instagram. Everything else is just waffle.

Perhaps in a 100 years they'll look back and think, wow this lad is the best thing to come out of Ireland since James Joyce, but I doubt it. Did he sell the YMs after, I can't be bothered to go find out for myself?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement