Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian warship, go f**k yourself!

Options

Comments

russia returns to picking on countries more of it's own size, Bosnia.

https://twitter.com/djrothkopf/status/1504448201780256769?s=20&t=vHGkqX5bT-7tn4vOWl37cQ

Surely a neutral Ukraine with autonomy for the two disputed regions is the answer?

No good side in a war. Should never have come to this. Thousands dead for nothing. Russia should never have invaded. Surely there is means to halt aggression on both sides for a week and have proper talks

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

The two disputed regions? That Bullshite. The Ukrainian people in those regions want to remain Ukrainian and free from Russia. Not one inch should ever be given up to them fuckers. Putin is a Schoolyard Bully, a War criminal. He along with all his Kremlin cronies need to be stood up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Problem with a ceasefire now is would Russia use it to resupply and move in fresh troops which will only make things worse.

• Advertisement

I fundamentally disagree with the inference that Ukraine shares any % of blame for being invaded by putrids hordes.

As to the neutral point, fyi neutrality had already been a part of Ukraine's constitution before the 2014 invasions of Crimea and Donbass, didn't help them one bit.

As @Tonynewholland rightly says, a ceasefire is just a pause to reload and reorganise for russia.

russia should not be rewarded in any way for it's war of aggression. Ukraine, with support from the West can beat russia in this war. But I would not be surprised to see putrid attempt to escalate more, possibly in an attempt to draw NATO into the war.

The solution is for putrid to be toppled, sent to The Hague, for all russian forces to be withdrawn from all of pre 2014 Ukraine and proper reparations paid to Ukraine, and democratic reforms implemented in russia with an attempt to solve their paranoia issues.

No one likes to see people die, but shooting and bombing civilians including children is a russian tactic to divide and weaken the resolve of Western nations to support Ukraine. I regard the "peace talks" as phoney as well.

It has been proven, time and again, that submitting to this tactic only defers a conflict to a later date and continuously increases the cost of each subsequent war.

In invading Ukraine putrid has opened a conflict that will hopefully consume himself. He is the cause of this war, and he must not survive it to remain in power.

Aside from this immediate conflict, ridding russia of putinism has two additional benefits to the world. India is a major arms purchaser from russia, but in recent times russia has grown closer to China and importantly Pakistan, India's sworn enemy. It may be possible to change India's perspective of the world to a more Western favour.

Should that happen, instead of a world where russia and China are "allied", with India possibly being nominally on their side, we could see a world where China's cough is softened by losing russia as an ally, and having an already unfriendly India pivot further towards the West.

The war has been going on for 8 years.

Why hasn’t there been a more combined effort to find a diplomatic solution?

300,000 died in the Libyan war, mostly civilians

500,000 died in Iraq because of sanctions

War and the threat of war is just a mechanism to sell more weapons.

Think about all the money that the Russians and Americans waste on weapons that could be used to improve the life of your average citizen.

I would have thought a neutral Ukraine was the best solution.

Everyone agrees that putin is insane for invading but could it have been avoided?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

That sounds like you've discovered world peace.

In reality, Putin likely won't be in the Hague from what I've read

This war will likely continue for a long long time unless serious concessions happen on both sides. Very unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 18,670 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

War is diplomacy in another fashion. Putin had no interest in diplomatic solution. Like all dictators he lives in his own understanding of reality. Nobody questions his decisions and he takes no advice.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

A War instigated by Putin. He doesn't listen to diplomatic solutions, he only uses any talk of peace to gain some form of an advantage from. The last time he got the west to ok Crimea being annexed. He acted the pure thug in Syria an elsewhere and got away with it. Now he's at it again in Ukraine. Next it will be Moldova, then the Latvian states... and after each time there will be some solution and all will be great again. He'll supply plenty cheap oil, Gas, wheat etc so you can be flying off to Spain for €25 Cheap Ryainair flight and eating Cheap steaks from cattle fattened on Ukrainian grain.

Putin seems to have thought it was going to be straightforward one week conflict and that there would have been no resistance.

I’d say the days of the cheap flights and food are numbered.

I think his problem is that he is a dictator. I mean did he not learn from the Iraq / Afghanistan disasters?

He must be surrounded by yes men. He had Europe by the balls with gas, oil and other resources

There's the saying, freedom isn't free. The reality of the world is there are dictators and authoritarian regimes that aren't well disposed to democracy existing anywhere. To repeat for the xxx-th time, Ukraine, previous to the 2014 russian invasions of Crimea and Donbas had neutrality written into their constitution. It did not prevent russia invading a nation that posed no threat to them. If you have been watching, in the phoney peace negotiations russia has said it must be one of the guarantors of Ukraine's security, they are looking to have the option of again invading if they see more Jewish nazis 🙄 or whatever BS they construct in power. This is not, and never has been about NATO. putrid believes russia owns Ukraine and despises seeing it as a free democratic nation able to make it's own choices in the world.

putrid thought, due to believing his own regimes corrupt BS, that he could walk into Kyiv in a day or two, install a puppet regime, declare victory and go home. Ukrainians are rightly fighting for the freedom of their own land. So no, once putrid made his mind up this war could not have been avoided. He is KGB, and a bit part of russian thinking during and since Soviet times has been "maskirovka", basically deception. Pre invasion of course he'd have been delighted if he had been able to stage a coup, or topple Zelensky in some fashion. But, once he had his army assembled around Ukraines border he was always going to invade. Had he climbed down he'd have been seen as weak, something he can't afford in the mafia state he has constructed. So don't be at all surprised to see more escalation in this war.

Putin may see Ukraine as part of Russia etc which is mad enough but the lunacy of mounting an invasion in the light of all recent invasions shows how badly informed he was.

George W Bush proposed that Ukraine and Georgia join nato back in 2007 which may have escalated things.

The militarisation of regions near or close to dictators or terrorists can give those individuals rationale for ramping up aggression.

I've seen this argument proposed mostly by the left. The problem with it is it gives in to bullying. It's condemning entire nations to living only as putrid see's fit. If russia were a peaceful democracy like Ukraine, this entire conflict wouldn't exist. The problem is russia is a mafia state led by a KGB thug. That such paranoid aggressive states exist is why Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Croatia, Czechia, Hungary(!), Montenegro, North Macedonia, Slovakia, Slovenia freely chose to join NATO and or the EU, for their own safety. I agree with another saying, speak softly but carry a big stick. putrid believes in forces, escalation, lies, and deception. The appeasement strategy didn't work in the 1930's nor has it worked with putrid.

There is an opportunity here for the world to be rid of putrid, we should seize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭epfff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Just going to be straight up. I have enjoyed @[Deleted User] analysis of this issue. Really, well informed and well rounded opinions.

The the longer this drags out, the worse it will be for Russia and Putrid. The west has been working for the past month on devising strategies to survive without russian imports. The sooner the gas supply is cut to Europe the better. This will leave the Putin with his pants down and a serious lack of funds.

Personally, I see the endgame as Putin will be taken out from inside or he will take himself out

Your forgetting the Chinese in all this. If they start supplying Russia it's all over for Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You'd hear about the Ukrainian tactics of engagement of tank and supply columns by hitting the first and last in line and then on the rest in the middle.

It was a German tank commander by the name of Michael Wittmann in WW2 that developed that technique of engagement with a convoy. Of course he and crew had a tiger tank when they did so.

He served on the Russian front in a tank with no moving turret first. Became known for his hits on Russian tanks even in this. Was given a tiger tank. He was able to fire on the go in the tank when advice was to stop and aim. He was brought back for training in tanks in Germany. Joined or put in the SS. When DDay invasion occurred served in Normandy.

Where he attacked a British convoy on a road from the adjoining field hitting the lead vehicle first, then the last and then the rest all the while firing as he moved.

He encountered little resistance to this attack that he and crew drove their tank into a town taken by the allies and destroyed more British tanks before finally retreating. It was only when their tank had their track hit that they buggered off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

China knows which side it's bread is buttered on. They need the consumer in the west buying to really keep them going. The dollar yuan rate is very important to this house of cards here. 1 little blip and it's down with the property bubble that exists

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think they've been watching carefully since day one to see how this plays out. They have similar ideas about Tiawan but I don't think Russia's experience will have emboldened them there. I think they are smart enough not to back a losing horse and will stay out of it.

I think they had okayed Putin to go ahead with the smash and grab, with the view that if it is successful then they'd do there own version later on in the year with Taiwan. What they didn't count on was the Ukrainian resistance and the reaction by the west. They are now being told in no uncertain terms that any help for Russia will see them under the same sanctions too.

I think they'll tell putin to **** off for himself now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,670 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Will they. Why back a losing horse. What help can China give. Unless it supplies troops with military hardware it unlikely that Russia can sustain the invasion.

China are looking on surprised I day at how poor the Russian army is. As well they must be wondering and thinking maybe it's better to grab a bit of Russian rather than Taiwan. It know now that the US is more than capable of defeating it and that Russia has limited ability as an allie.

Biden has a video conference with th this morning I say China will stay well out of it.

Slava Ukrainii

Nothing out yet (that I'm aware of) from the American side as regards to the Biden Xi call. Chinese apparently didn't overtly blame russia, there was some waffle about world peace.

China will do whats best for China. With the resources Russia have you can be sure that they will try to exploit the situation they could have Putin under their influence. Russia doesn't need much help to finish off taking over the south and cutting off Kyiv and then it's only a matter of time for for those that are cut off. Russia are hoping they will be supplied with Chinese combat drones.

Threats, no matter how apocalyptic, must be absorbed calmly and assessed on their true merits, not based on hysterical reaction. Precedent shows de-escalation and a willingness to negotiate only convinces Putin he is on the right track, while appeasement spurs him to make further demands.

https://www.chathamhouse.org/2022/03/negotiated-peace-russia-fraught-danger

Ukraine was hardly a peaceful democracy. They had a war there for over 8 years before this bizarre invasion.

Regime changes have killed hundreds of thousands and led to the development of terror groups over the last 30 years. Having said that Putin has obviously been in charge too long and has obviously gone nuts to pursue this invasion.

There is no doubt that military action leads to thousands of casualties on the ground. Ideally if it could be avoided. Perhaps if targeted sanctions of the Russian elite had have been introduced as troops were being built up on the border of Ukraine?

Europe should have been looking at alternative energy and resource sources than Russia. Putin probably thought these guys need our resources and will sit back and do nothing.

China may play a big role in resolving the conflict. Russia had to ask China for support.

• Advertisement

Ukraine is a peaceful democracy, it didn't seek to threaten or invade it's neighbours.

Idealists often find it difficult to grasp the reality of the world.

Advertisement