Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Polish government are populists nothing more....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

We're talking of calls for a UN peacekeeping/ enforcing mission. Surely we'd sign up?

No, I am warning Europe about the threat. It is far from bizarre. It is a reality in Poland but no-one listens...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Yes, but these people are living in the West so interesting to see how little impact our perspective has on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

But a bad day for Mr.Putin and his regime. The future consequences for Russia are serious, they have caused a serious shift in geo politics. The ordinary citizens of Russia will slowly discover the truth of the last month and how will he quell that? You can stamp down on dissenters but not a suspicious & angry population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Don’t be kidding yourself, those suits would have been made months ago, nothing whatsoever to do with Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

A succinct and precise article by Allan Little. Best I have read to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Fascinating series of vox pops with ordinary Russian citizens in Moscow (this YT channel does them regularly). Interestingly, many of the respondents sense that the "special operation" is going badly and that the general outlook for Russia as a country is not good. Even the wall to wall propaganda from the regime might not be cutting through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭myfreespirit

Russia needs to be pushed back eastwards when they lose the war they started in Ukraine. The EU needs to expand eastwards, taking in all of Ukraine, Moldova, Armenia, Georgia, and perhaps the Russian Oblast of Kaliningrad (formerly Königsberg) for good measure.

Perhaps the Finns should also seek to have the illegally occupied territory that Russia stole from them in 1940/41 returned.

There may be a case to be made to repatriate Russians living in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, since they could be used as an excuse for Russian aggression in the future.

Remember that such harsh measures were taken in Bohemia, Moravia, and in Eastern Pomerania following WW2, when Germans were expelled from within the borders of Czechoslovakia and Poland.

Very unpleasant, but perhaps necessary, to ensure stable relations with a wholly untrustworthy Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Notmything

Or: they are showing that they will use something so powerful on a relatively low value target.

Ukraine now has to re-consider whether to redeploy it's air defence/anti missile assets to cover more possible targets, reducing their coverage.

Also shows that anyone can be at risk, might impact morale of new recruits.

Could also just be desperate to show that they are "winning".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think this is the wrong direction entirely. We should work to integrate Russia not further alienate it after any war. Imagine a European union with a modern democratic Russia at the center of it, supplying raw materials to industrial Europe. That's the long term vision, not building new iron curtains where mistrust conspiracy and propaganda can fester. I think this is probably the policy that Merkel was following when integrating with Russian gas, she was being optimistic. Unfortunately the Putin regime saw an olive branch as weakness and decided to destroy the tiny amount of trust that could have enhanced the opportunities and standard of living for all Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@joseywhales - I think this is the wrong direction entirely. We should work to integrate Russia not further alienate it after any war. Imagine a European union with a modern democratic Russia at the center of it, supplying raw materials to industrial Europe. That's the long term vision, not building new iron curtains where mistrust conspiracy and propaganda can fester. I think this is probably the policy that Merkel was following when integrating with Russian gas, she was being optimistic. Unfortunately the Putin regime saw an olive branch as weakness and decided to destroy the tiny amount of trust that could have enhanced the opportunities and standard of living for all Russians.

Which is precisely why your sat nav to Russian integration will NEVER work. At least not whilst Putin is in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

@myfreespirit

Russia needs to be pushed back eastwards when they lose the war they started in Ukraine. The EU needs to expand eastwards, taking in all of Ukraine, Moldova, Armenia, Georgia, and perhaps the Russian Oblast of Kaliningrad (formerly Königsberg) for good measure.

Eh, Kaliningrad is literally part of Russia. I know it's an exclave, but it's still a part of Russia. The only way you could incorporate it into the EU would be to incorporate Russia, or else change its constitutional status either by diplomacy or by force.

Admitting Georgia and Armenia would be a mistake as those countries currently exist, and I think Russia/Turkey know that and keep those countries poor and half-destroyed through endless border disputes. If you let them in, you suddenly have a load of Balkan countries going, "Hey, WTF! You let them in, but we're stuck in limbo?!", you would have plenty of Georgians and Armenians coming west to look for work and live better (and who could blame them), but those countries would be unable to offer much of their own in terms of work. And you would have EU countries having to get involved when Russia or Azerbaijan/Turkey turn the screw again.

There are reasons why the EU have membership criteria in place, and if those are contravened through well-meaning charity, it would probably be the beginning of the end for the bloc, and a Europe without an EU is a bad place because of what the EU keeps a lid on.

All attempts of Ostpolitik and economic integration with Russia by the West can be deemed to have completely failed - look at Russian geopolitical behaviour for the last two decades. invasions of Georgia Moldova, and now Ukraine, supporting dictatorships in Belarus, removal of democratic frameworks and rule of law (as we in the EU understand the term) within Russia itself.

Not to mention the wholesale slaughter and destruction in Syria.

Everything the Russian kleptocracy has done is malevolent and inimical to any possible future association, let alone membership of the EU.

No, Russia must be pushed back and prevented from interfering in Europe. Any relationship will have to be arms length separation; the Russian leadership have proven themselves as totally untrustworthy, anti-democratic war mongers.

Only Russia is to blame for this, no one else.

Kalingrad, also known as Konigsberg, founded by the Teutonic order 800+ years ago. Capital of PRussia. A German city, ethnically cleansed at the end of WW2. needs to be returned

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He was upset last week at that. Precisely because they are wasting limited weapons. The fact those cruise missiles are depleted is why they are now digging into their weapons stores. With stuff like this even if experimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hear hear. The fact that that Koenigsburg “exclave” they stole after WW2 is allowed still function to/from the “mainland” is ridiculous. Cut them off and hang them dry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Reports of hypersonic missile being used looks like a game changer, no defence for this type of thing

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

That's exactly what Europe tried to do in the 1990s and early 2000s, and it didn't exactly turn out to be a roaring success. We need to confront the fact that Russia has no interest in any political union that it cannot dominate at will. Given the rabid nationalism rampant in that country, even amongst generations that you'd think would be more open-minded, the west should not kid itself that Russia will become any type of reliable partner once Putin leaves the stage. Maybe things will change twenty to thirty years down the line but given what it took for Germany to give up on its fascist tendencies after a much shorter bout with extreme nationalism & fascism, I doubt I'll live long enough to see that happen.

Then again, I still remember sitting in the living room as a kid and watching events unfolding on a certain November night in 1989 together with my parents and grandma. I remember all of them saying that they'd never thought they'd live long enough to see the Berlin Wall come down. Here's hoping we see another such miracle.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

My desire for integration is based on the proviso that there is a war in which the leadership of Russia is overthrown and we try again for a democratic Russia, it's a long road but if we just give up on them, we are asking for further trouble forever basically.

Merkel wanted cheap energy but wanted it farmed out to Russia so she could pander to the woke “green” Agenda and climate change cult at home by shutting down local nuclear and coal production.

The more I now reflect on her legacy the worse it gets.

Post edited by road_high on

The article you linked to didn't mention a UN security council ratified/organised peace keeping mission, only a NATO one.

If there is a UN peace keeping mission then we could offer assistance including boots on the ground, but given who are the permanent members of the security council I don't see a ratified operation appearing any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Tbh, if they are starting to use their experimental stuff, they must be running out of ideas.

Absolutely. Another piece of land they stole and planted with subjects.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK, let's say they were. The normal jumpsuit colour for Russian cosmonauts has been blue going way back. So months ago they made up new suits in yellow and blue. No link to Ukraine. Then this invasion kicks off and the world with a tiny handful of exceptions calls them on it and calls Russia tyrannical invaders over Ukraine. And rather than go to backup blue - and they always have backups, those guys have been in training for years, their commander has been in space four times already - they go with the now infamous around the world colours of the flag of Ukraine and the crew and their groundcrew, nobody around them, don't think this obvious change might be seized upon? Plus before they docked with the ISS one of the crewmembers is wearing the usual blue flightsuit. They changed into yellow before they entered the station. Some sort of message is very likely being sent. What that message is remains to be seen.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Russia can fairly be described as a (failing) imperial power that has no history of liberal democracy, ever. Tsarist Russia, Soviet Union, Putin's Russia, were never true democratic States, in any sense.

What makes you think that a Russian democracy will emerge, blinking in the sunlight of a golden dawn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

It's more likely the Americans will go to war over this than hundreds of dead kids.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement