Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea it is a conundrum, unfortunately I think Lowry will struggle to accumulate caps unless something drastic changes. Keenan doesn't have Lowry's quality when in possession, but he's very robust and reliable under the high ball and defending, it's hard to see him being dislodged.

Who would play 15 for Ulster if Lowry played 10? Addison is the only one I can think of, and he can't stay fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

McIlroy is the next best, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

McIlroy is the only one I wouldn't be worried about starting there tbh. There's Rankin in the academy, who was fairly poor in his little game time for the u20's and there's Aaron Sexton, who doesn't seem to be trusted yet by the coaching staff, at least not at this stage of the season anyway. Lyttle can't stay fit and I'd have a heart attack if I was Gilroy's name on the teamsheet at 15.

If Stewart Moore is capable there it would definitely solve a problem.

Jake Flannery joining us from next season, apparently.

Good signing, he's a handy player but he's behind two young flyhalves so game time is difficult to come by even with Carbery being made of chocolate. I wonder if his focus will be on 10 or 15 - with Lowry away with Ireland presumably we have no decent backup 10.

It's a good move for his personally I think, he'll get more minutes and there's a clearer path to being a first choice flyhalf - beat out Billy Burns. Addison is always, so McIlory is probably his competiotin for fullback when Lowry is away. Mind you, I'm sure Munster have done their homework here, they were happy enough to let Bill Johnston go as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'd be happy with that. One of the young Munster 10s were likely to be a target. Flannery or Healy were the two most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Good idea from Ulster. would be good to see this happen in Munster and Leinster as well to get those playing schools rugby now into clubs for the future..

https://www.facebook.com/RSDRugby/photos/pcb.5853699284659482/5853699211326156

Scrappy enough Schools Cup Final so far. The Methody FB looks a good player as does their 7.

The Campbell second row just made a sensational break as well. Ireland U18 apparently. Ryan Bairdesque.

Thought it was a fairly good quality game in the end. Campbell were good at creating overlaps and defended brilliantly in their 22, but Methody probably the better team on the day.

Those 3 are all Ireland u18 I think and are probably the standouts. Other players in one of the ireland u18 squads are the 2,8, 9 and 15 from Campbell. I thought the 8 for Methody was a great wee player as well.

Yeah it turned out to be a great game in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Fantastic tackle on MCB right winger late in game to save what looked a certain try. It would be hard to see a better tackle at any level this season than this.

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Campbell 9 was very good, absolutely cracking pass on him.

I thought the winning penalty was very dodgy tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Agree re Campbell scrum half. Superb service.

Regarding winning penalty my son who was with me at the game saw replay on big screen and said it was definitely hands in the ruck and was correct call.

Methody did very little kicking out of hand and ran virtually everything while Campbell were the opposite and final play of game showed how dangerous their backs could be with ball in hand.

I watched it back and the final penalty was fair. The campbell player must've thought that he won the ball before he went off his feet, but the absolute worst thing you can do after the ref says hands off, is to keep playing the ball on the ground.

I will say, that having been sniffy about him in the lead-up, I actually thought Carson was very good - particularly defensively, where he was busy and had a couple of cracker reads, snuffing out attacks well behind the gainline. That's made me think more generally about our U20s.

This U20s team is likely to win a Six Nations Grand Slam tomorrow, having played France and England away, and have dropped one single point out of a possible 20. Lots of posters on a number of forums (absolutely including yours truly) have been saying that they're not a vintage team, downplaying their individual skills, drive and talent and instead talking about them being "well-coached". I mean, they absolutely are very well coached, but maybe it's time to give the players themselves a bit more credit.

These are brilliant young players - I wonder now if it's just that they haven't been as over-hyped as previous years. It would be easy to see why - we simply haven't had the opportunities to watch these lads play as much, because of Covid. Less opportunity to get over-excited. Also, I do think looking back, there was an unspoken assumption amongst some that the prevalence of Ulster players must imply that it was a weak team. Having less high-profile Leinster schoolboys than usual demonstrably does not equal a mediocre team.

Well, mea culpa. I have really enjoyed watching these lads play. They're fast, decisive and skilful. Hopefully they earn the Grand Slam tomorrow night.

Edit: they'll win nothing tomorrow night. Sunday night!

I've always been lower on Carson and thought he was ok the other day but I know a few people who've had plenty of praise for him, so it it what it is. Experts don't post in boards.ie and here I am lol. That injury must have been awful to deal with, especially as he's just starting out his professional career and looking to impress amongst several other talented centres we have. Can't have been easy on his mental health.

The u20's have been more than enjoyable, I love the pace they play at and the way they throw everything at the other team. Even against a huge French pack there was no fear taking the ball at pace into tackles and there were few of those nervous knock-ons at the gainline. I definitely agree that people assumed this wouldn't be a vintage side because they've played so little. People didn't know what names to look out for going into it and I think the lack of truly standout players has maybe coloured peoples views of this years team. In previous teams I remember watching a few players and just thinking to myself '50 caps.' There hasn't been the same sort of obviousness this year - I think Culhane is playing incredible has been our best player but he looks a little gangly and doesn't fit the traditional no.8 appearance.

I like to look at u20 teams in two ways - what they put out on the field during the tournament, and what those players can then go on and do for the provinces and Ulster. What they've put out on the field has been fantastic so far, no point worrying about the second part.

It was suggested on another forum that certain players were left out because it was a 50-50 call with an ulster player and there happens to be an ulster coach in the squad. Couple weeks later praises are being sung about the coaching. Alrighty then.

For me, the whole first choice front row, Crothers, Devine (although he really needs to sort box-kicking), Mullins have all been very noticeable, as has Culhane, obviously. Postlethwaite is something else, but has only just been parachuted into the team.

Thought the U20 team showed more leadership and smarts than the senior team did when both struggled against the bigger French packs and in the lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭launish116

Have to say I’ve also really enjoyed the U20 games! Genuinely exciting heads up rugby and great to watch!

If Crothers can overcome his size, he genuinely could be world class. That’s a big boast but he has the leadership, brains & games management. Punch well above his weight! He just seems to read the game perfectly, not forgetting the numerous occasions he has provided last ditch tackling/turnovers saving the U20s.

Still look with envy at Munsters young pack developing, we’re still a couple of seasons away from the academies revamp reaping its reward!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Agree re: Crothers. Fine player but, he's similarly built like Penny? Penny will be an international soon enough. I think Crothers could be a great player.

Also MacNamee looks a good physical lock too. Not the biggest but, he puts himself around very well.

I don't worry about size (oo-er matron etc etc).

Mike Lowry just earned his first international cap - in the Six Nations, mind, not against Canada. Harry Sheridan was absolutely motoring last U20 6N despite being a not-huge backrow playing second row.

I think fans tend to focus on heights and weights because they're something quantifiable that they can empirically compare (if any of the given stats are actually accurate). Will Crothers make it? Dunno. If he displays the same leadership, nous, indefatigable energy levels, technique and rapport with refs he's shown this competition, he'll be infinitely more valuable than any number of 6'4" back row flat track bullies.

• Advertisement

Crothers reminds me more of Van De Flier/Darge (big future in Scotland) build. Neither are not huge, but just have so much involvement in the game.

Am I right in thinking McNamee is a year young also this season? McLoughlin appears to have leap frogged him.

The Best Buy being all these guys are winning based on skill/brains and not just lumps bullying teams. The S&C from u20/academy to seniors is really intriguing and how the likes of these guys fill out for potential senior rugby!

100% - they're being selected on skillset. And winning.

McNabney (backrow) and Wilson (TH) are the standouts that might be back next season, from an Ulster POV. Having said that, I remember being a bit underwhelmed by Crothers last season at U20s... when he was a year underage and we were beating everyone. Sometimes you just need to give yourself an uppercut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

McNamee turns 20 next month so not underage next year

Hope McFarland has paid attention to Munster's SA tour. We really don't want to replicate their results.

South African teams really coming back into it now, good for the league though. See us getting man handled in a few games!

I've noticed this attitude as well amongst some.

Whatever about future Irish players there looks to be a few future Ulster players in this group, Wilson, McCormick, McLaughlin, McNabney and Postelwaite all look really promising. It's great to see.

We look to have a good conveyor belt working now.

There looked to be 2 or 3 really promising players in the Schools Cup Final as well.

The Irish U18s and U19s squads are usually announced around this time of year so it will be interesting to see how many Ulster lads get picked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The current crop of Ulster u20's are great. I can see some very promising careers ahead. I particularly like Wilson and Crothers. Wilson appears to be a solid scrummager and Crothers is athletic and a good leader!

I think McNabney will be some player! McLoughlin too. But, I hope the 2nd rows get into the academy, Ulster need some lads to come through. MacNamee has looked decent and we didn't get to see Glasgow. Glasgow is a big lad. He could be a future star!

Definitely a nice core building, hopefully they can push onto the seniors and don't go awol.

The way finances are going, you can see a lot more emphasis on identification and making sure these guys progress into the seniors.

Yeah, you can see why Postelwaite got a 4 year contract!

McLaughlin impressive

• Advertisement

Postlewaite has been very good! He's been that good the rest of the team/support runners have struggled, he's been making ground for fun!

McLoughlin has a bit of dog about him!

Advertisement