Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I hope you are right but we don’t have any form for pulling these fake injuries under klopp and we tend to be way too honest to our own detriment with covid cases etc so I think it’s genuine injury. Why pick Trent out of players to fake an injury?

Trent had a really physically demanding run out against martinelli and wouldn’t be surprised if he did end up over exterting and picked up an injury. Trent history with types of injuries would mean he’s a serious doubt for City I feel. In really hope the injury list doesn’t get any bigger in coming weeks as beginning to see injuries cropping up again game by game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Avoiding the strongest team left in a possible final is a bonus, even if it's us who have to deal with Bayern in a possible Semi Final.

Manchester City, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, or Real Madrid in a final, if we were to get there, all easier than a one off game against Bayern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

How good are Bayern, anyone watch them regularly? I havn't seen one game this year but they're only 4 points ahead of Dortmund who got bombed out of the Europa League by Rangers! That hints to the Bundesliga being weak. And looking at their starting line up vs RB, they look weak defensively. They line up like that vs one of the better teams and they'd likely get ran over.

Robertson could play right back, or Timmy.

Playing Milner is silly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

We may just win the league cup this season, everything else is miles off imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I don't like Milly at RB, for some reason he's always seemed better at LB then RB, even though that makes no sense given that he's right footed.

At RB he just seems to be weaker defensively and I don't know, hasn't contributed going forward, while when he's on the left he always seems to do well. I might be wrong of course...

I'm guessing it's too soon for Bradley in the EPL? I like the cut of his jib when I've seen him, and it's always good to see an Irish man wear the red, but he didn't feature much in the cup games recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,653 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I can't say that overall, he'll be a big loss. But he has scored some very very important goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

What games has Robertson played at RB to prove to you he can play there?

Milner, Henderson, Gomez, Fabinho & Ox all have played at RB or RWB for a period of time in their careers at Liverpool or other clubs. Even Curtis Jones has played at RB at Liverpool. Robertson never has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Although I'd love to beat city in FA cup final, champions League final,and win the league on final day .. 😁

This!!!! Hahah no but tbf I agree with the sentiment of trying to cool the jets a bit. At the end of the day we aren't favourites for the league , we aren't favourites for the FA cup and with most bookies we aren't favs for the CL so we could easily end up with just the league cup. But being in them all still is some craic!

Have a holiday. It's a bit if fun. Klopp doesn't read boards, neither do the players.

And it's beyond obvious that anything less than an unprecedented 4 cups can be amazing.

And a close cousin, jinxs dont exist either 🙄

Finally, who is 'we' - we are not the borg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd have no worries about Robertson at RB - he clearly understands the position, and has all the tools needed (and ends up swapping sides with Trent fairly often in-game anyway). Logically Gomez makes most sense to fill in for Trent though, leaving Robbo where he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

The fact that the Quadruple has never been done before makes it very unlikely but as the saying goes, impossible is nothing, so everything is crossed and hoping for the best because it will take a bit of luck a d lots of hard work.

I wouldn't tbh. I don't get the impression that Robertson is comfortable being his swashbuckling self outside the right hand side and whipping a cross in. His finishing is quite poor IMO, so even if he does cut inside, I wouldn't be expecting too much.

Right footers playing at LB is common enough - Cancelo being the main example right now but closer to home there was Arbeloa & Dennis Irwin who were very comfortable on both flanks. Zambrotta, Azpilcueta other examples, even Glen Johnson for a while. But left footers playing at RB is extremely rare. I can't think of any off hand.

As you said, I'd much rather keep Robbo on his strong side and have Milner at RB or Gomez. Gomez brings the defensive solidarity but Milner brings some bit of an advantage in an attacking sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Wouldnt put Robertson at right back. I dont even think he'd do well in a rafa 442 at left wing. He's worked his ass off to become class in one position but thats his limit. Lots of other options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Left footers at right back is rare because there are far fewer left footers. So anyone left footed will always be put on the left. The number of right footers that can totally manage on the left shows that swapping sides is not that big a deal (Milner managed on the left despite being a righty with no fullback experience at all).

Robertson would of course be nowhere near as effective as he is on the left, but he has the legs and general football ability, which to be honest for a fill in is the main thing for us to do a job. I mostly don't want Robbo there because it would be such a big loss at LB, just as I don't want Fab at RB despite his experience there, because the loss to midfield is too great. I don't think the idea of Milner at full back anymore, he's just not got the legs for it these days against any sort of quality attacker. He can manage midfield with his intelligence, and redundancy's all around him, but I don't want him put in a position where if someone beats him they're through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Robbo to right back.

Nice work Toby.

Losing Trent at RB is one thing, but also losing Robbo at LB? Nope, we should have learnt from last year. Keep everyone in their best position and we fill in the holes. No TAA? Thats ok, we play Gomez at RB and give Robbo the freedom of the leftside as the they can become a 3 at the back, or you don't need Henderson at RCM covering for TAA, you give a more attacking mid freedom to get forward with Gomez behind.

The positions are fluid, there's no replacement for TAA, the overall system gets tweaked. Trent isn't a RB, he's placed there on formation graphics but he's not a RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What is he then? A goalkeeper? A centre forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭d1980

Any idea on line up for tomorrow? Full strength before intl break or squad rotation?

This could be the last game (hopefully) this season to give some first teamers a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'd rest Van Dijk and Robbo, definitely. They seem to be the most ever-present over the last few weeks.

Everywhere else we have backup.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Something like this?

Kelleher

Gomez Konate Matip Milner

Ox Morton Keita

Jota Origi Diaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd say Bradley will start and Gomez and Konate will be CBs.

Minamino will start as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If Trent misses out on the City game id go Tsimakas right back,

Most of City attacks come in the channel between CB & Full back so, theyd be coming onto Tsimakas good side

Remember back in the back Raf using Arbeloa on Messi for the same reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

I'd prefer Tsimakas to start against City regardless of Trent fitness.

I know we'd be missing out on his incredible thru balls, but for this one game I'd prefer the stronger defender... and Tsimakas ain't afraid of attacking.

• Advertisement

I'd take a guess of something like

Alisson

Milner Gomez Konate Tsimikas

Keita Jones Ox

Minamino Firmino Jota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Milner has no place in our back 4 these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

I'd say Eliott will get game time too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This, 100% this.

If it's a weaker opponent, play as normal with maybe Bradley if he's adjudged up to it, in a Trent Lite role, but if it's a stronger opponent play Gomez and let Henderson/Elliot/whoever off the leash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

What's the story with Elliott lately? Months out then comes back and gets a start against Inter, barely been seen since, has he been injured? Tough to get in the squad these days I appreciate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Is there any scope for recalling Nico Williams?

I was impressed with the few apperances he had for us, he would give us that attacking outlet that Gomez has'nt got, even though defensively Gomez is far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

With TAA possibly out for the City game, whoever is likely to fill in for him should play there against Forest, Watford and Benfica to get more familiar with the position and for the rest of the team to get more familiar playing with a different full back. Can't expect someone who doesn't normally play there to slot in seamlessly in a match that is likely to decide the title. If TAA is back in time for City game, obviously he plays, but, if not, give his deputy the best chance of success by playing him (whoever it is) in our next 3 matches.

TAA was missing for first game with City, Milner played, and Foden made a mug of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Very classy gesture there by Forest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Very Rafa like thinking there,

Trents ability on the ball will ensure City can not attack in the number they otherwise could, City have struggled against lesser sides than us with a decent counter attack and Trent is the ultimate weapon in a quick counter,

If they try to exploit him and fail he can ping a 40 yard ball and have then on the back foot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Loser thinking. Removing a major attacking threat to be a tiny bit more defensively sound? No thanks. Trent's one of the most creative players in the world. If he's fit, he plays.

Jaysis that's bizzare thinking, it's a match we need to win. If trent is fit he plays right back.

Very interesting graphic showing defensive actions and progressive passes per 90 mins.

Any guesses who's way out on his own? The useless Thiago who does nothing.

Edit: Reddit link wouldn't work so posted the direct link.

Actually sorry to pick your post again ,but I wouldnt even say Tsimakas is a better defender than trent. What has he done to prove that? What level has he been playing at? Yeah he looks good an I'm happy with him. But sick of this bullshit that Trent can't defend. Look at our defensive stats since he start playing regularly. Or just keep listening to Gary Neville and Gareth Southgate.

Trent has been a target in numerous occasions as the channel of attack by strong teams. There's no arguing that.

The only question is whether that frailty is worth it for his undoubted attacking strengths. Tsimakas seems the better defender to my eye, subjective I know, but Trent's is not his best position either. Trent, when fit, is almost always the answer, but against city I have my doubts.

Klopp - "If anybody says that Trent cannot defend then they can come to me and I'll knock them down. I cannot hear that any more, I don't know what more the boy has to do."

His side is attacked more because he's usually up in the RW or number 10 spot. It's not because he took a notion and decided to head up there for a laugh, it's because he's told to go and effect the game from there. If he sat back he wouldn't look as suspect but that's all it is, "looks".

Not sure anyone is saying he can’t defend, it can be argued though that defending isn’t his strongpoint. The days of fullbacks being solely picked to defend are gone, AWB at MU is an example of a good defender, but appalling at just about everything else. I don’t think there is any doubt that at times TAA’s offensive capability and instincts leaves him vulnerable to the ball being played in behind him. But we accept that happening because he is so good going forward.

• Advertisement

For the third time, nobody is saying Trent is not a fantastic asset to Liverpool. No one, so let's leave that there.

What I am saying is that he can be a weak spot against the stronger teams (of which I'd consider City and Bayern being among a very small number). The upcoming city game being one such worry.

Advertisement