Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

It's not consolation compared to what Ukrainians are going through.

It's an ugly emotion but I too would feel grim satisfaction to hear of several missiles being launched into Moscow from wherever, let the ignorant Russian citizens (not all of them,but many) get a taste of what their government is doing elsewhere.

Like the bombing of Dresden: yeah, it's brutal, but sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

That's pretty pathetic. But wasn't there an issue with the ex-DDR Strela (aka SA-7) missiles which Ukraine requested, that they had been in storage for too long to be usable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

The Romanov tsarist dynasty collapsed from the top, not the bottom. So did the Communist imperium.

There is no reason to think that the Putinist kleptocracy will not follow the same pattern. i.e. we shouldn't be looking to the Russian street but more to the people in the shadows near the apex of their power vertical. Little discussion of this anywhere thus far...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Still looks a bleak enough end to this invasion Ukraine are fighting great but the chances of them pushing Russia back and out seem remote .I tune in each morning hopeing something has stirred against Putin but that seems wishful thinking .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Seems like downright carelessness......one , two or even three at a push.... but 9 ????😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Go out to feed the ewes for 10 minutes and come back to find 2 more Russian Generals dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Jamie Bryson deciding to make whataboutery an art form

BBC obviously not covering the story enough lately so - any chance to GET IN THERE - Jamie will pounce

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

what are the chances of revolt in some of the southern/ South eastern republics. Chechnya, Kazakhstan, Georgia etc. With the main army stretched in Ukraine they may never have a better opportunity to strike a blow. Hard to credit that Russia is able to maintain such a huge landmass with such a decrepit military. There must be areas of Russia that are wide open to invasion at this moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

• Advertisement

You can be damn sure that if the Americans are sharing intel, and publicly announcing it, it's no accident. Its deliberate and planned, its meant to have an effect, like a msg to Putin,,,, See Vladimir, what we know? Now guess how we know????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

Yesterday was the day to do it. Right into that stadium while Putin was holding his nazi rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

True, things look bleak and Russia has the advantage in any war of attrition, so on the face of it, you're right. However, that is not the whole story here. Russia needs to get Ukraine under its control to succeed, meaning defeating the Ukrainian army and installing a regime of occupation that would likely be internationally isolated and faced with an ongoing and vicious guerrilla campaign. Its present army does not seem to be capable of achieving that goal, both because of intense defensive efforts by Ukraine and their ongoing morale and discipline issues. In previous conflicts, an attacking army would have paused, consolidated their logistics and regrouped, and have adapted their battle plan to reflect the new situation. The Red Army did this numerous times in WW2 when fighting the Germans. However, given the strict hierarchical nature of the Russian Army, the peacetime rot, corruption and nepotism in its command structure and the dominance of Kremlin-connected yes men in the senior command staff, I have my doubts whether Russia will be able to pull this off. This is all the more true in a hostile environment where roaming infantry and anti-tank squads present an ever present risk to supply lines and where seemingly every tree has a camera-equipped smartphone that reports movements back to Ukrainian authorities.

Contrast that with Ukraine. They reformed their military post 2014, emphasising operational autonomy in the field, meaning that unit commanders don't need to check every potential move with HQ. The eight year brushfire war in the Donbas has produced a large cadre of battle-hardened soldiers, offices & NCOs, quite a few of which have worked their way up the ranks since then. Their supply chains are secure, they have excellent battlefield awareness thanks to their access to US satellite imagery, air-search & ground surveillance radar provided by US & NATO E-3 AWACS & E-8 Joint STARS aircraft, NATO ELINT & SIGINT assets, not to mention an extremely well orchestrated information warfare campaign that utilises amongst other things social media chat bots that allow citizens to send photo & video straight to the military. Their Air Force, whilst somewhat degraded in capability, is still operational on a daily basis and significant parts of the Ukrainian air defence net are also still operational.

For Ukraine to "win", it simply needs to survive long enough for Russia to bleed itself dry to such a degree that additional reinforcements would require mobilisation (likely not going to be popular and a potential flashpoint for the Russian Populace), or withdrawing forces from other regions (Caucasus, Central Asia, Far East) to a point were said areas were no longer secure from local uprisings or even vulnerable to invasion. That means selling every kilometre of ground as dearly as possible for the Russians, whilst minimising their own military casualties. I know this sounds callous, but that is, in my eyes at least, the current big picture situation. Ukraine has a long, bloody uphill struggle ahead of it, but I do believe that there is a slim, but realistic chance that they might "win" this.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Take a page from Putins copybook, plausible deniability, western version of the infamous Wagner group....and turn them loose on the Russian military, same terms and operational structure ( but not the same level of brutality ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I've watched a few of their videos and the one thing that strikes me is they seem to mostly be done at the gates to some Moscow University or other; and with people who look suspiciously like students.

Out of all the Russian demographics I would fully expect Moscow-based University students to be the most likely to have the least favourable views on the war: not sure it could be considered at all reflective of wider Russia. And even at that there are still quite a few who very pointedly won't speak out about politics whatsoever or who express some kind of support for the "special operation".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The Americans can be just as brutal as the wagner group.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

There d be no greater site than to see that cowardly f$&! Dragged out of the Kremlin to face justice, he wouldnt be so big then without all his back up and protection.

The best we could hope for is NATO to step in and stop the Russians in Ukraine but that would be a outside long shot. Would be glorious to see the Russian military get rinsed tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Hasn't the US been there since 2014 training and equipping them. Which is grand after crimea. Russia broke its word first more forcible. Side note i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I agree it will be very difficult for Russia to really keep control of the entire country its just the loss of life and destrution to the country has me very concerned as to what the outcome will be .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

• Advertisement

I guess if you think about the US or EU: different parts of these entities can have very different views on the world and how things should be done. Just look at voting and polling in the likes of Texas versus California or Massachusetts. Likewise Ireland versus Italy or Poland etc.

It just so happens that an authoritarian leadership is able to steer the whole in the one direction without having to moderate itself because certain parts of the whole don't agree; whereas the EU has to take a more softly softly approach and the US flip-flops between the Democrats and the Republicans with its core focus on the business of not-quite capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Irish ambulances arrived in ukraine today

Presumably airlines and pilots are also routinely changing their regular flight planning to avoid Ukraine wherever practical: I imagine they don't particularly want to be flying through airspace more likely to contain silent drones, cruise missiles, active anti-aircraft radar zones etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They just need to hold the pricks and keep giving him bloody noses. Every day with every loss of men and materiel and high ranking officers bleeds Russia dry in more ways than one. It also makes answering the questions coming up from the street and rank and file army harder to answer. Spin and rehtoric will get them to invade, it won't sustain them. The Ukrainians are fighting for their land and blood and too much of their latter has been spilt on the former. They have the support of the world, putin has Nth Korea and Mali. The Kremlin needs an out, some way to save face or putin's days are numbered IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fúck. Me. Has their utter bullshít no Off switch?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ahh now I get it.

"'A person suffered serious injuries in a car crash, and an ambulance was called and paramedics from the fire service attended. After waiting for 90 minutes, and having received oxygen, a family member had to transport the patient to University Hospital Kerry.'"

https://www.radiokerry.ie/news/kerry-crash-victim-brought-to-hospital-by-family-due-to-ambulance-delay-274100

I think the Russian approach to civil disobedience is just to nip any large gatherings in the bud and disperse them as soon as possible: they don't actually want to have prisons full of people who have to be watched and fed. The leadership and more prominent figures are the ones who get sent to the Siberian gulags.

Ukranian airspace is already closed for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Has anyone else seen this about the railway being sabotaged in Belarus?

• Advertisement

I would be very surprised if they had any boots on the ground quite honestly: in fact a number of CIA sources stated that they pulled out all their clandestine operatives and paramilitaries as soon as they started assessing that Russia was going to invade. No idea how accurate that is of course; but based on how quickly the US have shot down even the barest mention of sending personnel into Ukraine I would well believe it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement