Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

Obviously they had their reasons.

It's one thing to condemn the invasion. Or to argue over their reasons, or disagree with the morality or strategy behind their reasons.

However to say they did it for no reason is daft. It's the same as people saying Putin is "crazy" or unhinged. If you chalk an invasion as some random thing with no reason and disconnected from other events, then you absolve yourself of any responsibility to understand the conflict. And you won't see the next one coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Ah right - no problem -im really sorry i bothered you, i know its a busy time for you (un)intelligence Guru's

Not even the semblance of good faith - ridiculous tbh

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

When all will be said and done Putin will achieve his desired result 

You think Zelenksey will no longer be the President of Ukraine in 30 days? That was after all one of Putin's main goals from the very outset of this "special military operation".

I think Putin (and you, no doubt) will be disappointed on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭myfreespirit

Nitpick: It appears English is NOT your native language.

The correct/usual phraseology is:

"When all is said and done..."

Further nitpick: Military commentators in the West are expressing opinions that Ukraine may be able to fight Russian forces to a standstill and that Russia cannot now win the criminal war they unleashed.

Therefore, Putin will NOT achieve his war aims, but will only succeed in further impoverishment of most Russian people, as economic sanctions cripple the Russian economy.

Already, we read that around 2700 Russians were made redundant in one fell swoop by Accenture when they closed down operations in Russia.

This bleed out of the Russian economy will continue and get worse as long as sanctions last.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

If it's too much bother for you to back up the Horlicks you spout, why are you even here?

Realising the roubles in your paycheck don't go as far as they used to? Has the Scottish restaurant across Glavset shut shop?

Post edited by Detritus70 on

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Predictably enough Putin seems to be doubling down in his efforts. The rally saying he will prevail and the recent use of hypersonic missiles. What next thermobaric or tactical nukes? The West needs to prepare an adequate response as Putin won't back off unless he sees a certain absolute red line being set.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

The only way to get Putin to give in, is by setting red lines, give an absolute ultimatum and a warning shot across the bow. Should he wish to test the resolve of his opposition he must get an immediate bloody nose and a very credible threat of further action.

He will not react to anything else, other than Russia being completely isolated and unable to function due to shut borders, frozen assets and sanctions that bite far deeper than the current ones.

Anything else is just inconsequential, polite back and forth. That man has to be back to the wall with a knife to the throat.

There is NO other way. And he will have to be permanently neutered.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,537 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The expectation among analysts is that he appears to be planning for a long war of attrition in Ukraine. Goodness knows what his actual end game is at this point and what he would deem a 'victory' to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

He has little to loss now. Pride is all but lost as well

Pride and vanity are destroyed in reality - of course one dare not say it to him

(unless one has a gun aimed at the back of his neck)

When i hear Putin's bluster though - i do think it could be an example of MadMan theory

I have noted its been mentioned in relation to this situation

• Advertisement

Personally yes, same as I would support sanctions against the Israeli government for actions they have taken and most likely will again.

However this hasn't got anything to do with the thread topic despite how hard the conspiricy theory believers and various right wing groups want to show horn it into the conversation.

Masterclass in WHATABOUTERY on display from Jamie Bwyson Bryson - Yes - he ACTUALLY COMPARED the UKRAINIAN-RUSSIAN WAR - to the northern ireland protocol......

Whataboutist's should take note and learn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

That seems a bit silly even for him. A case of tweeting 3 sheets to the wind on a Saturday evening? Or some gremlins from the kremlin got into his account!?

I think its more likely the lack of attention being payed to his .. 'cause'. Im a political anorak for sure. I tend to watch current affairs and politics TV shows a lot, along with reading of course. And the NI Protocol was a big story - or should i say, the over hyped nonsensical claims of Jamie et al, was a big story. That and the meanderings of the DUP and Jim Allister versus the UUP - etc etc - you could guarantee at least one noteworthy screaming match a week, and more some times

FAST FORWARD: Sovereign Democratic State invaded by Russia - World engulfed in crisis. Possible sinister implications for everyone.

Jamie - suddenly no one is listening - and he decides to try and champion a 'comparison' - without even acknowledging how the Ukraine is fighting FOR THE RIGHT to join the EU

ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

edit: It is disgusting alright. I didn't think of that aspect. Yes, you are right even the hard brexiters in the UK who've always coddled them and paid the anti-protocol contingent in NI great attention are distracted and have bigger stuff to worry about at the moment, let alone the UK govt. and the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Nordner

I just read it there. Had listened to a few interviews with Putin alteady and his mad essay on Ukraine and Russia's shared history as well as John Mearshimers analysis from 2015.

Noam Chompskey flagged the whole Ukraine situation years ago and outlined many of the same arguments, from Russia's perspective, as Putin outlines in the speech you shared.

Basically, as Putin sees it, first they (The West) came for Saddam, then Gaddafi, then Assad. He is probably thinking, not unreasonably, that he doesn't fancy being hung (as per Saddam) or pistol whipped, raped with a bayonet, beaten and shot in the head (as per Gadhaffi).

It seems to me that US and Nato have been playing the long game in relation to Putin. Muted and toothless reactions to Georgian invasion, intervention in Syria, annexation of Crimea, shooting down of passenger plane, Salisbury poisonings and support of Donbas rebels...maybe drawing Putin into Ukraine on purpose in the hopes that the ensuing carnage, sanctions and hardship would encourage ordinary Russians to rise up and overthrow him....if so, Ukraine is being used as a sacrificial lamb and, if things do not go to plan, we could be facing a nuclear winter...

Every country may very well have a right to sovereignty and self-determination, however, the survival of the planet surely trumps those rights hands down?

Would it not have been better for US and NATO to have negotiated a deal on Ukraine with Russia back in 2014? Even if that meant Ukraine being neutral, losing Donbas and Crimea but being under the protection of The UN or some other international alliance to ensure Russia never invades again...

I dunno, just seems like a bad idea to back a lad like Putin into a corner when he could destroy the entire world, especially if he has nothing left to lose.....

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

excellent comment you are so right on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Or, the more likely explanation... the West was hoping Russia would just play along and enjoy the riches it was getting from Germany etc for resources - spend it in the south of France and London. Didn't want to rock the boat.

But nope. Putin had to go full 1930s on it.

Russia? Backed into a corner? One of the largest countries in the worlds with an arsenal of WMDs? Really?

Yeah it'd be great if Russia and Ukraine could sign an agreement where Ukraine agrees not to have nuclear weapons and Russia agrees to respect it's territory (including Crimea). Oh wait, they already had that and violate d it multiple times...

Based on this justification, the West should have neutralized Kalingrad by now.

NATO is a red herring here. If this was only issue, it could have been addressed at a summit. Ukraine in NATO for purposes of protection but not as a platform for offensive weapons. Kalingrad could have similar status...

This all started when the last Russian stooge was run out of office in Ukraine - not for a NATO vote, but for trying to block a trade deal with the EU. It is about whether Russia has the right to treat as a colony and pillage it at will, and determine its future. Or whether Ukraine is a country free to determine its own fate including joining the EU.

But all this has been explained on the thread multiple times and still Russian propaganda cues get repeated...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Will Belarus invade ukraine to support Putin?

That's the worry I'd have

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I don't think Lukashenko has enough troops to spare for something like that considering the state of his country in general...

• Advertisement

Check out how much money Zelensky has, as outlined in the Panama papers leak.

He did not get that from being a bad comedian dancing in high heels !!

This situation in ukraine has been simmering for years since the US backed coup in 2014 and even before.

The US government spent 5 billion dollars on "democracy building" in Ukraine funnelled through NED and other such organisations leading up to the Maidan coup in 2014. Furthermore Victoria Nuland wife of Robert Kagan co author of "Project for a new American century " ( you know what that is dont you ) Was up to her neck in dirty dealings in Ukraine during the Maidan coup handing out cookies & money & later was caught in an intercepted call with Jeffery Pyatt the ambassador, arranging who the new "free" Ukraine government would be.

`This is all known and quite uncontroversial. look it up, don't take my word for it.

The icing on the cake is this clip showing the same Victoria "cookies" Nuland admitting to the dangerous biological programs in US labs in Ukraine.

Lets listen to what a real partriotic american woman has to say about the situation in Ukraine

and the 26 dangerous american funded bioweapons labs that were found to be operating in Ukraine

The Ukranian parliament overwhelmingly backed a trade deal with EU. It was the Russian stooge who tried to defy the will of the Ukranian people as expressed through parliament.

This is not a coup. This is what democracy looks like, despite the lies spread by those who never met a Russian propaganda lie that don't repost.

really? Democracy? Ya think?

Only if democracy wore a nazi armband and carried guns and baseball bats!!

#and before you accuse me of being a Russian sympathiser, this is the BBC I'm linking you to!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Ah here the trolls and "whatabouterists" have arrived again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Please provide evidence that Zelenskyy (note the spelling)'

The transliteration with the extra 'y' tacked on is just embarrassing.

Clearly we are all communicating in English here, so 'Zelensky' is a clear translation - not some attempt to undermine him.

I'm not aware of any Irish people who insist on the use of 'Padraig na bPiarsai' exclusively, and find 'Patrick Pearse' objectionable.

you cant address my points which i backed up with links & info, so instead to resort to cheap as hominems, pathetic.......

I just want to steel man you if I may. I asked anther user - this question

Please provide evidence that Zelenskyy is a CIA asset

For reasons unknown, you appear and address this question - by

• Sharing a music video
    • Sharing a leaked call - which says very little really (id love to hear what YOU THINK it says though, aside from the fact the US was monitoring what was going on in Ukrainian Politics - guess what? Most people on this thread are.. monitoring what is going on in Ukrainian political circles - so is Russia btw)
    • A Tucker Carlson piece (Tucker being a right wing populist *******T peddler of unrivaled caliber, who has been saying for a while he is 'rooting for Russia' - so much so that several sanctioned Russian media 'pundits' have cited his show)
    • A video about someone admitting there are bio labs in the Ukraine (I THINK you may be confusing the word 'BIOLAB' - with the words 'BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS DEVELOPMENT FACILITY' - let me break it down for you. Yes a biolab would have pathogens, in order to facilitate research - a BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS DEVELOPMENT FACILITY - develops Bio weapons - The former is benign, the latter, very dangerous - and the latter is also what Russia is accusing the Ukraine of - along with yourself seemingly)
    • A video where "real patriotic american woman" Tulsi Gabbard says a few sane things (labs should be shut down) - before rambling off down a rabbit hole of *******T - (obviously frequenting Tuckers show is contagious - who knew)

I mean i could debate the above - it would be utterly pointless to do so, and would undoubtedly lead you to reply - probably condescendingly that i am 'gullible and stupid', and 'You know the truth'... etc etc etc - so i wont -

I do have a question for you though - if i may

• How does any of this signify that Volodymyr Zelenskyy is working for the CIA?

Check - youtube link dump

Check - but I'm not a Russian sympathiser

Check - references nazis in Ukraine but shows zero interest in the Russian nazis Wagner group

You're wasting your time here. We can spot a mouthpiece for Russian propaganda when we see one. Maybe go back whoever is feeding you this crap and get some better instructions because when Russian forces daily commit war crimes and you come along here to defend them, well, it puts all your other posts into an interesting light. Let me guess, never found an alternative narrative they didn't accept without question.

The Ukranian people have demonstrated in their democratic choices - choices not allowed in Russia or their colonies like Belarus - that they want to align with the EU.

Not a single post on this thread has been able to challenge this - so they resort to Russian lies and conspiracy theories and nonsense about coups.

How did he get his money, i addressed that by pointing you to the panama papers. He has a 39 million mansion in the states. H e sure has a lot of money for a failed comedian in heels. maybe you can tell me how he accumulated such a fortune. Also the oligarch Kolomoisky pays his salary do you know who Kolomoisky is ? the guy who owns the in famous Asov battalion, known nazis operating in the Ukrains, interesting NO? So much for hero of the people, he does what the yanks want which is to make his naive people fight Russia to the last Ukranian.l

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

I am sick of reading and addressing blatantly obvious Russian bullsh** propaganda.

Advertisement