Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Corry, McMenamin and Johnston I thought. Andre Quinn for S&C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

O'Kane on Irish News saying that the decision will be reversed. Fair enough. However I'm not buying some of his clearly "unbiased" (ahem) coverage:

"It’s expected that a decision will then be taken that would hand home advantage back to Antrim and alleviate the growing pressure on the provincial body over the issue.While the decision to move the game was defended by Colm O’Rourke on RTÉ’s League Sunday on the grounds that “you could be expecting a crowd of 15,000 at a game like that”, a neutral venue was never expected to attract anything close to that figure. The 2pm Saturday throw-in coupled with live coverage on BBC NI and the April weather meant realistic forecasts had been set at around 5,000 spectators."

Post Covid crowds are well up for inter-county games, so I don't know where O'Kane is pulling the 5,000 figure out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Id say if it was in Armagh or Newry there be lucky to be 7 or 8 thousand at it.

The way we are going Corrigan might do fine!

Why is at 2 on a Saturday anyway?

• Advertisement

I’d prefer 2 on a Saturday than 2 on a Sunday. Have missed having any Saturday League games this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Unfortunately, the Northern journalists have really latched onto this one. I remember alot of people thought Thomas Niblock was far from neutral when he commentated on the Cavan vs Antrim game in 2020 and not too surprised to see that he has lumped in on it too.

The best decision for Cavan now is if it's reversed at this stage a good way before the game. I'm sure Antrim will use it as motivation but Cavan should also be able to in fairness.

Has anyone stats for attendances at previous Cavan Antrim games? The last preliminary round or first round Ulster fixture appears to have been 2008 but can't find an attendance online.

Post edited by Lemlin on

I really like Niblock and i think he wears his heart on his sleeve, but he's not remotely impartial. By and large, the BBC are very pro-6 counties when commentating on Ulster but are suitably partisan when any Ulster team is playing. From memory, Oisin McConville was very pro-Cavan in the Antrim game to balance Niblock and Harte.

But the hysteria around this is laughable. Antrim haven't had a home game in donkeys but post "Newbridge or nowhere" debacle you have rakes of armchair GAA fans who think this is the subversion of some deeply held-principle. When fundamentally it is about actual GAA fans getting to the game.

I assume that is a consequence of being in Division four? I really have missed a few Saturday night games (for logistics and, heaven forbid a pint afterwards, you know, for sustenance). For the Cavan diaspora a Saturday night game is a bonus to get down for a game, visit some family and possibly some post-match analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Where and when is the Antrim game fixed for as things stand now?

• Advertisement

There were some Division 4 games on Saturday evenings so I'm not sure why we didn't have any this year. A few years back in Division 2 in the middle of the last decade, we nearly had more Saturday night home games than Sunday games because Setanta used to cover some Division 2 games on Saturday evenings.

In early 2019 Division 2 we had a Saturday evening home game away to Armagh. We also had a home one against Westmeath and another away one to Fermanagh.

I saw in Armagh I think it is club players have asked to have all games over the Summer on Friday evenings. I do prefer a Friday or Saturday evening game to a Sunday one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Game going ahead in Corrigan Park

Have to say I'm very disappointed with the review of last week's game from the podcast. I realise it has been raised here previously that the lads are working in the county and don't want to trod on toes but, and the same happened two years ago when we had a bad loss to Clare, they shouldn't be making excuses for the players. There is no excuse for that performance and, like I said, I spoke to a player last Monday evening and they are very aware of that.

Just looking at the rankings page on this forum, and the lads have mentioned following other rankings tables that are similar to it on the podcast and you see the comment ''Tipp were the big winners of the weekend, with a solid win over a Cavan team that are consistently not performing according to their relatively-high ranking place''. That perfectly sums up our present team.

Cavan went into the Tipp game ranked 13th in the country. Tipp were ranked 24th. Our other opponents in Division 4 are Leitrim (26), Wexford (27), Sligo (29), Carlow (30), London (32) and Waterford (33). Wicklow, who beat us last year in the only game I think they have won in two years, are ranked 28th. New York (31) are actually ranked above our last two league opponents! How can it be said we shouldn't be able to beat all those teams!? I'm not interested in listening to crap about Tipp being in a do-or-die scenario and other such bull. It just doesn't cut it.

This isn't just a Mickey Graham problem either. In the 2016 qualifiers we should have beaten Derry at home. In the 2017 qualifiers, we had a bad loss to Tipp (I'm sick of hearing about them!) in a game where they were missing alot of players and Quinlivan was sprung from the bench. 2020 League our glaring loss was the aforementioned one to Clare - a game we should not be losing at home. Had we not lost it we wouldn't have been relegated.

I had a friend who had an issue with this under Terry when he felt that the media were in the team clique and didn't call people to account. I was a huge Terry supporter, my friend was not, but he did have a point - how can a journalist hold players to account if he's on the team jolly with them at the time to New York?

Surely these players now have the experience and are at a level where they should be providing consistent performances, particularly against teams where we are scraping the barrel re quality, and to make excuses for them when they simply didn't perform at the lowest level in the country isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I just caught up on the podcast last night. Look its an amateur game and you don't have players contractually obliged to speak to the media so you do need to maintain good relations. So I wouldn't be in favour of the lads calling fellas out for a poor performance too harshly - i think they got it right making a slight reference to James Smiths poor game the last day. What I was disappointed in is this nonsense of quoting the 4-15 (or whatever it was) that we missed the last day. Anyone who was at that match would be kidding themselves if they left the ground thinking we had a terrifically creative forward display and created loads only for poor finishing. Thats simply not the case in my opinion, we were slow and clueless in attack. Some of those "chances" were after 20 lateral passes and then someone like gunner or moynagh took a silly pop shot out of frustration way outside the scoring zone. They werent proper chances. In fact we were only 1 point down at half time and that was very fortunate as Tipp were easily 5 points better than us at that stage while having incurred a very harsh black card.

The truth is our forward play has been absolute crap and is not improving one bit and trying to suggest it has does that podcast no favours - we with 1-7 against a Div4 team, there is no covering that up or sugar coating it.

As for the contest for the "worst ever" This one sticks with me as one of the worst ever...

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2011/0625/281491-cavan_longford/

What made that Longford game worse was we had to watch Meath hammer Louth after it!

We were the curtain raiser at our own home ground to Meath and Louth.

Any team news for tomorrow's game?

After watching London in action last weekend I'll be disappointed if its not at least 10+ point win, but then again disappointment is nothing new to us!

Have a great weekend anyone that travelled

Named team is out.

Galligan

Brady Faulkner Finnegan

Ryan O’Neill Moynagh McLaughlin

James Smith, Clarke

Cian Madden McKiernan Gerry Smith

Conroy Lynch Caoimhin

We Are Cavan mentioned that a couple of players were dropped due to a disciplinary indiscretion and that allowed Caoimhin to get his chance. Conor Madden & Cormac O’Reilly would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Advertisement

Finnegan out for Luke Fortune

Oisin Kiernan injured and Ben Kelly in

Cormac O’Reilly in for Conroy

Ryan O’Neill doesn’t start.

Motoring nicely so far

James Smith black carded but Cavan 1-04 to 0-0 up. Apparently a strong wind but this is more like it after ten minutes.

4 or 5 wides is disappointing as Cavan need a statement win after the loss last week. Not that I’m complaining about 1-05 scored so far but would love to see us get ten points or more ahead by HT.

2 goal chances given away and London take their third.

That's a disgrace...

It was London.... Sideways, backwards etc

As for those pair on northern sound pure tripe too

Graham would to get his act together fairly lively

Graham should be ran at the end off the year.

I don't think Antrim will be to bothered playing us and will likely win if there isn't dramatic improvements.

I stopped listening. We just about struggled over the line against London.

Something isn’t right in the camp. It can’t be.

There won't be any improvement

I think you're right re Graham too, he landed us a brilliant ulster title but also landed us deep in the sh1te

• Advertisement

How the hell have we gone from a yoyo Div 1/Div 2 team to this rubbish. Is it the players or the management?

Advertisement