Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Much as it looked like same sh!t, different day, the disruption caused by the injuries and substitutions was on another level. Maybe we are just getting back a bit of luck that deserted us in earlier matches. Still laughing at Wolves manager explaining that they were too worried about the Leeds player on the ground for the 2nd goal😂……..Sweet baby Jebus, where do they get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

They were calling for the ref to stop the game for that goal, definitely wasn't for the good of the health of the Leeds player. Got awful luck vs them last season, now it completely changed with injury time goals in both games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Huge, absolutely huge. I think the best part is where we won it from and how we won it. 2 goals down and got physical, no fair play b*****, get stuck into everything.

Harrison and ayling had big second half performances.

Bit of needle in the game, with a sprinkle of agro and players putting in strong challenges, I don't think we would have had that under bielsa, I think at half time the instruction may have been an old school "let these f***s know they are in a game".

Sending off was very harsh, the high challenge on Dallas was more of a yellow and got nothing.

No we wait and see the timelines for recovery with these injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I notice he didn't mention that Dallas was down because Moutinho had studded him high on the leg! That was a red in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Cresswell & Klaesson did well, even Greenwood's control to set up the second goal. I spent half-time anxiously mulling over Burnley's remaining fixtures, but things are looking more hopeful now, thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

That was utterly astonishing, and the morale in the camp must be at all all-time high now. Noises from the manager are that none of the injuries are serious, though I don't believe that re Paddy. If true we're close to our first eleven v Southampton.

Some thoughts:

Not a second yellow. Kevin Friend did us a favour for once.

Lage not a savvy manager. We had 3/4 first-choice players on the pitch after 55 mins. We were there for the taking. Wolves were playing a team with the spine removed (Meslier, Llorente, Phillips, Bamford). A more adventurous coach would have pushed them on, they'd probably have scored again and won. They just sat back. Abject irresponsibility. But of the kind I love.

Ayling has redeemed himself.

Klaesson is good. Very good probably.

We're staying up. We may even climb the table a little bit.

Nights like these, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Wow! Big shot in the arm that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It was individual errors rather than a negative approach that cost Wolves. They were coasting until the sending off. It's difficult to see any significant improvements under Marsch. The commitment of the players has always been there. It's just that Leeds have too few with the requisite quality at this level.

Nope. They just sat back and waited for us to attack. Appalling management. Deliciously so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Not having that we were lucky. We deserved that.

More shots, more possession, more corners, made more tackles, won more headers.

That jiminez tackle is a yellow all day long. And even if it was debatable, moutinho on Dallas was a straight red.

• Advertisement

Daft of Jiminez to go for a 50/50 tackle when already on a yellow. I'd be furious with any of our lads doing that. But not a card for me, no intent and either could have come off badly. I agree on Moutinho and I also have no sympathy for Jiminez given his incessant diving, including for the free-kick leading to their second goal tonight.

And I don't think we were lucky. We deserved it. They just invited us to have a go. Made no sense tactically.

Wolves are not a very likeable team, are they? Burnley are cloggers and you can respect that given they're working with limited resources and talent. But Villa and Wolves, the diving and feigning injury is too much. Thus an extra smile tonight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Watched it back last night. We were ok for the first 20 minutes, then Bamford goes off and they score 5 minutes later. Paddy is for me, without doubt, the biggest loss to this and Bielsa's plan. When he's there, he holds up play so well, and allows the rest to flood forward. We have no-one else that can do it, maybe Bielsa believed that Roberts could. As soon as Paddy goes off, we still pile forward, but lose the ball instantly, leading to pressure on the back 4. Mistakes follow from Llorente, Struijk, Dallas. Passing goes awry, because we are trying to inject too much urgency into the passing - its forced, not fluid. Switching off for the 2nd is unforgivable. Then the sending off, and Wolves become Leeds. Panicky, no thought, no control. Sa, who is normally excellent becomes a headless chicken - charging around the penalty area not knowing what he was doing. Their passing goes awry and they start trying to force it.

First half was nowhere near as bad as Neville and Carragher said, apart from the 2 goals from individual errors. It did look as we could take another battering with heads dropping. I didn't see us do a whole lot differently in the second half, but we had more room for the passes and a free player, which we made use of. Rodrigo, Harrison,James, Forshaw played very well. 2 brilliant saves from Klaesson kept us in it. Cresswell and Greenwood did well, although Greenwood got lucky for the forearm on Saisse.

How many points do people think are needed? I think 34 will be the number this year, so less than 2 wins worth over 8 games. Considering the fixtures, should be achievable. I'm basing 34 on Burnley getting 2 wins from the 3 in hand, which is very generous

I don't see what Jiminez could do to not collide with Meslier, the ball was 50/50. For me not a yellow. The question was asked last night - If Jiminez had got there a half second earlier, and Meslier had gone into him the same way? Probably a red for stopping a goal scoring opportunity. We got a bit lucky last night with some of the decisions, but we surely have earned some of that this season. If Don was around this year I think he'd have the gypsy back looking to lift the curse.

Great to see Summerville in celebrating, must be tough on the lad sitting on the bench, but he looked genuinely ecstatic last night with the rest of the players. I would be giving Ayling some boot up the arse for that celebration last night - Trying a running cartwheel with our injuries? Quick throw in, just got the lead from 2-0 down? That is really brainless stuff. Rodrigo 8th booking of the season, again for celebrating. At least something we are good at, collecting yellows.

And fair play to Jesse for making brave subs - Greenwood and Cresswell - We know he probably had to with Joffy not being 100%, but even still. Brilliant ball from Kock to Ayling - genuinely didn't think he could do that. And that Moutinho needs a really good slapping too, dirty little git.

Brilliant, brilliant result.

Sorry for the long posts - As the great Vinny said - It's been emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

No apologies necessary. It was a massive result and might just be the one that makes the difference.

Mrs Two Times was asking me why I didn’t go mental after the winner. Just drained and had nothing left after the last few weeks. Just sat there quietly praying for the whistle.

Couple things though. We’re mentioning individual errors as being the cause of their goals. Not sure I agree. On each occasion when the Wolves player has the ball in a wide area, we flood back to the area between the peno spot and the six yard box en masse. Watch it again. No one seems to be switched on for the cut back and looks for their free players. We had plenty of players back for both goals. Just not picking up any opponents. Maybe it’s a transition from the old to the new tactics but it needs solving and shouldn’t take an awful lot to rectify.

Secondly, even though we took the lead in injury time, and had the extra player we still coughed up decent chances and were dependent on the keeper to preserve the win. Was the same on Sunday. Be great if we could just take the lead and see the game out safely.

I definitely think Jiminez challenge was a yellow. If you go with that force,are second to the ball and take the player it’s yellow all day long.

Finally, I mentioned before the Leicester game that we are not the same as other clubs, that we really do have a unique identity, on and off the pitch. Challenge anyone to dispute this after the last few weeks.

Just love our club. Can’t wait for Southampton.

WAFLL.

Dallas moved forward leaving Trincao the freedom of the park to bring it in. For the 2nd, nobody looking at the ball - that was about 7 individual errors right there. Plenty of defenders around for both, but we let them in like a fox into the henhouse.

I think the Jinenez one was a yellow. Yes it was 50/50 and he should go for the ball, but if all you do is collide then you've to expect a card. Only a deal being g made of it cos it resulted in a sending off. Also, Meslier won the ball on his left side and was collided into on his right. It was a man or ball collision.

The bitterness saying that Friend won Leeds the match is some joke. Moutinho should've been off too, dunno why that logic is overlooked when claiming a ref is one-sided. Should probably focus on their collapse and how the loss of 1 player decimated a tactic to time waste and dive at every opportunity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Jiminez was absolutely a yellow. There seems to be a view for some reason that because he didn't explicitly move his leg in a tackling motion that it shouldn't be a yellow. Meslier got there first and was taken out of it as a result of it. If Jiminez gets there and Meslier takes him out then its a red for sure.

Players know the consequences going in for a 50/50 like that. If that happens between two outfield players and nobody was on a yellow there would be no complaints about a yellow for the person getting there second.

There are lots of butthurt Everton fans online saying that it's all part of a conspiracy to bring them down. Wolves supports trust put out a frankly ridiculous post about the "shameful" decision.

• Advertisement

The definition of a yellow is if its reckless. And that challenge was reckless. Doesn't matter about intent, getting the ball (really annoys me when commentators mention the player got the ball, that has no bearing), if he meant it etc. For me that looked reckless.

From the FIFA laws of the game:

Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed

Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned

Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and/or endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

Sometimes I have sympathy for referees when they are trying to work out the differences. If its a Leeds player we want Careless, when its done by Jiminez we’re delighted for the ref to see it as reckless. The more they do to clarify the rules the less clear they make it.

The suggestion is out there that the Wolves fans influenced KF, thinking they were going to get Meslier done for it. Delicious irony if it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

It was a yellow all day long, I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise. Two players going full on for a ball and one is late and makes no attempt to pull out of the collision and injures the other player so badly they have to be replaced, if that isn't a yellow I don't know what is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Unbelievable stuff, haven't read back thread yet but presume the pessimism was here at half time. Really think we will be safe now. Have gave out about ayling alot and will again but cant question his desire, to keep following that ball after heading back in unreal.

Post edited by newhouse87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Next round of games is massive.

We’ve Southampton, Watford have Liverpool, Burnley have Man City, Brentford play Chelsea and Everton have West Ham.

If we can manage a win the should increase and give us some more breathing space.

Hopefully Vardy and Co can sort out Brentford tomorrow too.

• Advertisement

I'd prefer a draw tomorrow. Leicester only four ahead of us (obviously with games in hand but very mixed form). We can pass both of them with a good run. The higher we finish the more cash we get and the more likely we are to retain and attract players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Dude, are you on crack ? Let’s just concentrate on staying up !!!!

We're staying up. The next two fixtures are good. Time to start looking up the table and see where we can get to. I think we'll retain the players we want to (bar Raphina) and a strong finish to the season (like last year) greatly helps with that. Or do you really not believe we can pass teams greatly out of form like Brighton and Southampton? A few million extra for improved league position will help financially and in terms of morale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

With all remaining fixtures being weekly, we'll never have a better opportunity to have proper preparation for those fixtures. Players will have the best rest opportunities

Of course we'll retain all our players.

There isn't gonna be a huge queue considering the way they've played this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Squad needs expanding so finishing too high may not be ideal as board will once again think the squad is better than it actually is, happily take 15th tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

I can't believe the difference in prize money between 10th and 11th last season - 16m. About 3m gap between all other placings

Given his injuries there's been no transfer chatter about Bamford recently. Meslier, Phillips and Raphinha however continue to attract attention but I think we'll at least hold onto the first two. And I hope you're right, we retain all and buy a couple in and I'd be very optimistic about next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was a yellow but Wolves' inability to reorganise themselves after that was baffling. They just wanted to keep going mad about the card. Given how well their players are trained in falling over or getting cramp they got the tactics all wrong.

We also have the delicious irony of the Wolves bench appealing for a card against Meslier.

And their tactics were staggeringly off. They were effectively playing our reserve team after 55 mins. Had they gone for us they'd probably have grabbed a third. Instead they just invited us to attack which has to be blamed on Lage. And for which we are eternally grateful.

If we don't sell players the squad won't need much expansion at all. Get Aaronson, another attacking midfielder and a back-up striker and we're there I think. Lots of compeetition for defensive places.

Gelhardt, Bate, Drameh, Summerville, Cresswell, Hjelde, Klaesson, Greenwood and others will be competing for more game time next season and we don't want to lose any of them by overloading the squad. We surely can't have another season of injuries like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Read Phil Hay's piece today about squad additions and along with CF and midfield he thinks both full-back spots might be looked at. Think Firpo could definitely do with a strong alternative alongside him (Dallas, Struijk or Hjelde are not natural LB, I would prefer someone that is). On RB I went looking for info on how Cody Drameh is getting on at Cardiff and either his agent also happens to be a Welsh reporter or we could be on to a very good thing with him challenging Ayling: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cody-drameh-footballing-freak-cardiff-23414180

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Agreed, FB are positions we are lacking cover. That article on Drameh sounds a bit OTT but if he is even half as good as it suggests then that has to be good news for us. TBH I didn't see it in his few appearances for us but hopefully we do get back a player who is ready to start at RB next season. Ayling has some great qualities, especially his leadership and drive. However he has been found out a number of times and his passing is very hit and miss so maybe Drameh can make that position his own next season. At LB I still think Firpo is good enough but he has missed a lot of games so cover there is needed and I would prefer if Dallas could be kept as an option in midfield (and Struijk and Hjelde don't really fit there). So get Drameh back, sign a LB, Aaronson and a quality CF and I would be happy enough with that. If/when Raph goes then we need to obviously get in another AM as well.

I would have thought Hjelde would be the LB option with Firpo? Or is he more CB? He looked comfortable at LB when he played for the first team, but he looks a big unit.

Drameh got off to a shaky start in his first 2 games, but they seem very keen on him in Cardiff now.

Can't Cresswell also play at right-back when needed, pretty sure he's done so on occasion for the U-23s?

And I agree with the three you pinpoint. We get them, hold onto our best players, avoid excessive injuries and we could have a very good 2022/23.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Yeah, he's a left sided CB so enough for Bielsa to get him looking alright at LB. Just think without Bielsa we're not going to get the fluidity of players changing position. It didn't always work for Bielsa either but he definitely had every player ready to cover 2-3 positions.

Haven't seen Cresswell at RB but he'd be like Dan Burn wouldn't he, a massive unit looking a bit out of place. Given how Antonio spun him a few times, tricky wingers could have a lot of joy from him.

You can't just turn CBs in to LBs or RBs just cos of what footed they are. It harms their development.

Firpo is a LB who can also play at CB or RB

Koch is a CD who can also play as a DM

Dallas is a LB, who plays everywhere, his development unhindered by being switched from a right-footed RB early on to an inverted full-back on the left.

Hjelde is a LB who also plays CD.

Ayling is a RB who also plays CD.

Llorente is a CD who can also play DM.

And so on. These guys often learn multiple roles. It doesn't stunt their development but gives them, and the manager, more options. MB deliberately signed adaptable players, and it worked.

Lots of outlets (mainly from Spain and Brazil) reporting that Raphinha has rejected a contract extension and has agreed terms with Barcelona. Probably true but the transfer amounts are derisory particularly given we rejected a £50m offer from the Hammers in January. His current release clause is supposedly £70m so hopefully we get close to that if he has to leave but how do you replace a guy like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Pretty easily if we take his current form into account.

9 goals and 3 assists in 27 games, from the wing. Sought by most major clubs in Europe and a certain starter for Brazil in this year's World Cup. Plenty similar knocking about at cut price I guess.

I’d love to know where Barca are getting the money. Apart from Ferran Torres everyone they get is on a free.

Saying they 'can' play there is a stretch. Has Firpo played CB for us? I dont remember him doing so. He is struggling at LB tbh. The best players pick one position and play there. We need specialised full backs now. Lads who could change worked with Bielsa as we changed formation annd people filled in everywhere. But we have moved on from that now

I wouldnt be too worried about any reports from Spanish media tbh. But I would say he has rejected a contract or at least is stalling. Why would be commit to us now? By all accounts he has no release clause, thats why we wanted to get him to sign a new deal, to get one in? But lets be honest, we will get around £40-£50m for him. Its what wingers go for. Mahrez was one of the most expensive and he was £60m and had pretty much won the league with leicester. Diaz just joined liverpool for £37m (rising to £50m) and has performed n the CL for a few years and in the Copa America last year. We arent going to get near £70m for him imo, he has had one and a half good seasons in the PL. We obviously rate our own players higher than anyone else and he is a superb player. But his stats over the past 2 seasons are the same as Jarrod Bowen at west ham (same age, same position) yet no one thinks he is worth £60-70m. No one is irreplaceable, I would be confident we will do ok without him

I doubt they can afford £60m, hence if he leaves it'll most likely be a PL club or PSG.

• Advertisement

Firpo is very adaptable and played in several positions for Barca as these stats show. We've got at least five CDs in the squad so he's never been required there. Many players pick one position. Many others are more adaptable so they have more opportunities. It doesn't hinder their development as you said. They're professional athletes and are adaptable. The same players that MB signed and trained to be adaptable are still at Leeds. And after four years of moulding his team we have not moved on from Bielsa in less than four weeks. That won't happen until next season.

And I agree with you re Spanish media, probably also South American press but the latter are likely getting first hand info from the two most important Brazilians here, Deco and Raphinha. And we probably won't get £70m for him but several sources are saying it's his current release clause which is great work by Orta if true. Newcastle, Man City and PSG may also be willing to pay that amount. And yes, no one is irreplaceable but don't underestimate how good he is. If he's leaving there'll be a bidding war for him and it'll involve a dozen CL clubs across the continent, though some may already be priced out.

Advertisement