Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Excellent article by Douglas Murray today in the Telegraph about the liability that Pelosi is.

It is pleasant to see the rest of the world slowly waking up to one of my keenest hobbies. Which is noting the sheer weirdness of much of the American political class – and specifically the leading Democrat Nancy Pelosi. The Speaker of the House is now 81 years old, making her one of the younger members of the gerontocracy that inexplicably still runs America on both sides of the political aisle.

<snip> - copyrighted article - only 1 para plus link allowed

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Another copy and paste article, no commentary, topped off with an emoji.

I'm calling it even though we are in March - post of the year!

Post edited by Beasty on

No need for commentary mon ami.

Does everything have to be spelt out for such a critical thinker like yourself ?

I've made my position on Pelosi clear many times, she is off with the birds. A fruit cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Article was a load, and Douglas Murray just another (UK) Foxbot. Amazing he can denigrate an extremely successful woman and the Trumplodytes just lap it up. "Criminally insane." What twaddle.

Can you reply to a post without inserting bot, or Trumpist, Trumpite or a variation of that in it ?

Brush tar.

How about I have a go.

Radical Loony Left Commie Bots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I have two issues with his actions on Ukraine.

The first is his announcing ahead of time that the US would not get militarily involved. I have not heard any analyst give a compelling reason as to what benefit this announcement provided, and I have heard several say that it was a mistake (And I'm not talking "News TV talking heads", I'm talking people in organisations specifically oriented on this sort of stuff.). Even here on boards, you will see commentary as soon as he said that along the lines of "Well, he's just given Russia the green light to move in." Even if most of the world didn't think that the US would fight, there was no benefit to removing any possible uncertainty on the matter. The US's officially ambiguous position with respect to Taiwan would be the obvious equivalent.

Secondly, we are now showing that we are willing to fight to the last Ukrainian. We'll give them our weapons and our money, but not our discomfort. For whatever reason, US policy in recent years has been that we don't have too much of a heavy force in Europe. We've increased it over the past week, but now we are in a position where we can have a significant effect in Ukraine. It seems now more likely that the Russians will fail in their larger Ukraine ambitions, the question is how many Ukrainians will die, be injured, be dislocated, or otherwise the nation be disrupted before that happens. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the moral implications of the US's current position on that, nor the implication that "If you're strong enough, we'll not get involved" (Again, see China). A stated policy of "We're not getting involved" (after the fighting started) when we didn't have the capacity to do so was sensible. That situation, however, has since changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,558 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Think you are misrepresenting Bidens position.

Yes, a diversity hire, but not for a second suggesting that that does not mean that the person is not going to be suitably qualified and capable of doing the role.

As a slight aside, you asked the question earlier as to whether diversity hires are a good thing. In a perfect world, they wouldn't have to be considered because there would be no imbalance evident amongst genders, races, religion or whatever. Nut we don't live in a perfect world and bias has played a role in several ways since day dot with respect to genders and since the first people of different races started to live amongst each other without one side colonizing the other.

And even when people had moved past specific bias, there still exists both an implicit bias, and the reality that without role models, future candidates for a particular role have not the role models in place that they might aspire to emulate. And so, as it has been proven that long after specific bias was removed, the presence of people reflecting societies make up in roles that impact society do not show evidence of the diversity that exists in that society.

And so diversity hires became a thing. I think it is disingenuous (not that you are doing it) for people to rail against the bias of diversity hires as they ignore the presence of the biases that have created to this point. If it was a foot race, and one person got a significant headstart, can they really complain when an instruction is given that corrects that advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What's excellent with it? I lost complete interest by the time I read the author hyperfixating on Pelosi's alleged body language, moans, etc. in an innuendo manner:

>Now under a president from her own side, her performance has gone from gracelessness to quasi-sexual ecstasy. During President Biden’s recent State of the Union address, Pelosi grinned, oohed and ah-ed almost without stop. She tried to out-smile even the vice-president Kamala Harris. Pelosi made Kamala look like she had a face of thunder by contrast.

This is sycophantic pulp for people who already have a deep seated hatred with Pelosi, it's not written for "Critical Thinking" like you have insinuated.

edit: and the only fact I can extract from the pulp, is that there was a Bono poem, and a SOTU address. That's it. I can't even verify the claim about Iran with the link they posted, which is broken or missing. Everything else is a self-indulgent soliloquy from the author about how much they obsess over/despise Pelosi's guts as a matter of personally held opinion. In calling this excellent, I have formed an impression of your repute.

Post edited by Overheal on

Murray is heavily far right and has a pretty poor rep in general, so not exactly planning to take him very seriously on much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Imagine being a fan of Nancy Pelosi 🤣😂

Biden blames Putin for gas prices which have hit an all time record high. Up 81% since he was put into office. But peddling fake news is a common leftist tactic. These chain of events proves it;

“I guarantee you,” Biden told New Hampshire voters on Sept. 16, 2019. “We’re going to end fossil fuels.”

“Would you close down the oil industry?” moderator Kristen Welker asked Biden in the Oct. 22, 2020, presidential debate. He replied: “I would transition from the oil industry. Yes.”

Jan. 20, 2021: Just hours after Biden’s inauguration, his executive order killed the Keystone XL Pipeline and launched the Democrat War on Oil.

Jan. 27, 2021: Biden directed the Interior Department to stop oil and natural-gas leases on federal lands and in public waters.

Feb. 14, 2021: Interior Secretary nominee Deb Haaland declared: “We need to keep fossil fuels in the ground.”

Feb. 25, 2021: The US Senate confirmed Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm. She previously said, “We ought to be doing everything we possibly can to keep fossil fuel energy in the ground.”  

March 2, 2021: Climate envoy John Kerry told CNN that fossil-fuel companies “ought to be figuring out how do we become not an oil-and-gas company, but how do we become an energy company.”)

April 22: Biden unveiled a “Climate Finance Plan” to “promote the flow” of capital “away from high-carbon investments.” 

June 1: Biden halted oil and gas leases in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

Nov. 5: Asked about boosting output to curb gas prices, Energy Secretary Granholm replied: “That is hilarious.” 

Jan. 31, 2022: Reuters reported, “The Biden administration will raise the royalty rate that drilling companies must pay on oil and gas leases it plans to sell in the first quarter.”

• Advertisement

Brute, can you explain for me what impact you think Keystone XL would have on the price of retail gasoline?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I've noticed the price rising in my local applegreen, have you noticed it in your local petrol station? Did Biden increase them?

Still waiting on that answer to the question i asked you over a week ago mate....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That’s a weird attack on Pelosi. Not her political positions, which are worth questioning, her behaviour and demeanour. Has Murray nothing better to be doing. Is he tired of peddling myths about replacement or whatever he was at last.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

You are going to be waiting for some time.

Keystone was thankfully cancelled.

Even though it was going to transport tar sands from Canada to Texas and then onto China.

And not completed for years.

Zero to do with gas prices.

But this is where they go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,946 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

DONALD TRUMP HELD THE MOST BRIEFINGS PERIOD. DONALD TRUMP HAD THE BIGGEST PRESS ROOM CROWDS EVER, PERIOD.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Look pretty and make shït up like the previous incumbent I assume. It doesn't take much to impress them.

There's not much more she can do when she can't answer the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Seriously I thought that was a quote from Sarah Huckabee Sanders, but apparently Psaki says this. I think SHS was 'I'll have to get back to you on that one" and never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Imagine her not having every single piece of information to hand. Shocking. Do you know every single thing you get asked at work every day?

• Advertisement

How many questions did Stephanie Grisham fail to answer? What was her response when she couldn't?

When it comes to press secretary comparisons on this thread, the GQP loses as the pearl-clutchers said nothing when the press secretary had no press conferences for the duration of her term. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Advertisement