Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

South of limgrave. I followed a gold ghost. Kept going down the cave and bam bear hug

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I thought it looked amazing but I only ran around outside to the rear of the buildings. Was to low a level to actually do much.

The controls aren't clunky in any of the older games. The movement is probably the most precise outside fighting games I've played.

Don't get me started on Rockstar control schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I hope I don't get carded for this but that bear is a douche.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was loving the area, but once you're spotted by the f*cks with the arrows, you're toast. Too many of them about, they can hit you from too far away with insane precision (even when you're full sprint on Torrent), and their arrows do immense damage. At one point I lost the chance to get my runes back, so just took it as an opportunity to sprint to light one brazier thing per life and just let them kill me then. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

• Advertisement

If I remember correctly I think the merchant down near the braziers sells some decent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

loving this game but my god there was a difficulty spike at stormveil castle, think ill be coming back to that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

I have gone on a bit of a mad tangent and was doin ranni quest and have got to a boss that's been annihilating me for around 2 hours yesterday, when I eventually beat it I have a seal door and no idea where to go :(

I'm just there now and should be tackling the boss today. It's a brilliantly designed area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

that area alone feels like a darksouls game tbh, so many paths and ways to go. those big knights are ruthless though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah that's the north shoreline of the weeping peninsula. You can explore the Weeping Peninsula early enough in the game, most of the enemies aren't too bad.

Some of the AI tracking in the game is ridiculous, and those guys stay agro for ages and at some distance. There's a red lightning spell later in the game that once you agro the caster they can track and hit you between rooms and even floors with.

You should have been given a key. Search your key items and read the descriptions. There's a chest you would have come across previously that you couldn't open, you now have the key for it.

I tried leaving a message in front of the seal to hint at other players where to go. The best I could do with the word limit was "seek teacher".

The Raya Lucaria Library, beside Rennala.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I still can't kill this bloody tree sentinel in Lingrave and I want his Golden Halberd. I'll have to try and get gud like this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Yup this is what I'm talking about. Just riding around minding my own business and suddenly get impaled by some massive arrow from an enemy I didn't even see because it only materialised 5 seconds ago. It's the closest thing to unfair I've felt so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

OK, so played a few more hours last night. I understand what the game is now. Its Dark Souls 4, open world edition. I can understand if you're a fan of previous games that this is probably the best Souls game yet. But it's still a Souls game.

I encountered too many moments of BS in my exploring, including a large dude on a horse surprising me as I went across a bridge, he jumped from the side of the bridge. There was nothing but a chasm on either side. BS.

I dont mind running into an area and getting killed, my fault. But a giant dude on a horse jumping from the ether.. nah. That's BS. Just like the teleport chest. I don't find that fun.

Again, I'm delighted that people are loving it, and I'm sure if I had nothing else to play that I might put more time into it. But there's the problem, there's always something else to play, and to me I'd be wasting my time on a game I'm not really enjoying.

Trading it in now, and if I ever come back to it I'll do what I did with Hollow Knight, and follow a rough which-way-to-go guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm not a "Git Gud" person but I don't like that they seem to have shifted balance towards summoning a lot.

They've given you free agro/damage sponges in ash summons and calling people in easier since its not attached to valuable resources like humanity etc.

You don't have to use them but a lot of the bosses have bullshìt tracking and stalling. Plus the bosses have been uninspiring so far.

I'm liking it but it's nowhere near as good as Bloodborne, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Yeah, I feel the same way

I think if you come from the previous games having played 1v1 you would expect to be able to have the same experience here, but they've lifted the skill floor for 1v1 way up where you have to grind some very arcane combos over and over to figure out the openings, particularly hellish for greatsword players so I hear

After a while, I gave up and just summoned for a bunch of fights. I find it turns fights from these really intense and difficult duels into more of a formality. It's either too hard or very passive, there's no middle ground. Ruined my first playthrough tbh

But I'm having a better time on playthrough 2, cause I kinda know the mechanics of fights pretty well now to figure them out without summons. But it's the worst part about the game imo, and a point that gets missed when people say 'just summon if you find it difficult, or grind'. It's not really possible to get that same feeling out of these fights as the old games provided, where they were obstacles but didnt' feel like you were 'labbing' each outcome and finding the best answer to every mechanic and AI quirk, so to speak

I'll say tho I'm impressed by some of the AI of bosses, the way they alternate into branching combos depending on your position. But I also hate how much 'gotcha' combo strings they have

Summoning actually can make things worse. You're mimic tear while no longer as aggressive has way more health than a human player and doesn't add to the bosses health.

I'm in the I've come too far with a greatsword to stop now mentality. It's how I've liked to play these games but things have changed I've spent 3 hours now on a late game boss and struggling to see a consistent opening in the second phase. There have been more than a couple as pure melee I could not have done without something/someone drawing aggro.

It's kind of soured my experience a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Took me till level 40 odd before I took him down - I think I might be real bad at this game though, I still can't kill Radahn, post-nerf and I'm like level 100 lol. I took out Margit and Godrick easy enough and much earlier on too but the later bosses I dunno, just not getting the patterns correct. Also got owned by a Huge vulture Boss, that has nasty freeze magic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I have to admit, I done this too! I saw a video on it and though that seems a lot of hard work just to get there, but once I started following the guide it was pretty simple, and worth! I would never kill him besides, I mean he one shot me when I entered first

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

I managed to get him last night. I got the skeletons from the flooded village off the lad in the boat. They respawn after being killed so they kept him busy while I chipped away at him

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Level 47, Radahn repeatedly kicking my ass. Went back to the tree sentinel after all the talk on here and handily dispatched him. With new gained confidence, went back to Radahn and.. still got wrecked. 6 deaths later, i finally got him, tough sob. And on we go.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Tree Sentinel wasn't hard on horseback. Just keep moving and its grand.

To hell with fighting him on foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Starscourge defeated today, after a lot of tries. Ended up summoning everyone that was available. It also didn't help that I'd forgotten about rune arcs.

Had him down to a bare sliver and I was all out of flasks, and found it hard to close the distance to get hits on in phase 2, I believe it was Alexander who actually got the final blow on him.

I've actually found in late game it can be easier fighting horseback enemies on foot. If you get a decent dodge and have a powerful enough move to counterattack with, you can do big damage. It's just about knowing where and when to dodge. But horseback is definitely the way to go foe the first tree sentinel until you do get more powerful in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The lobsters with sniper rifles in the lakes area were infuriating.

Final boss, yeah I need a rage brake ffs.

There's no reason for Radagon not to stay dead there. Then straight into a fight with a boss that runs away when you get close and spams range or takes you out with aoe if close. The best damage you can do is physical the rest it absorbs at high %ages

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fire Giant down so heading into late game territory now.

I’d agree this is probably the worst Souls for people who come to the series primarily for skill and challenge - it’s the polar opposite of Sekiro in many ways. But that’s why I kind of love it - it’s the most indulgent and ridiculous RPG From has made yet, with insane possibilities for weird builds and tools to break the game wide open. The game gives you so much stuff to even the odds it really is quite the ride. That and it’s obviously the biggest, broadest Souls game yet in terms of stuff to find, secrets to discover and weird subquests to tackle. There’s definitely balancing issues with some bosses and areas, and cheap shots here and there. But on the whole it’s just pleasingly chaotic.

Sekiro was pure skill - no shortcuts, just a need to master the basic and limited mechanics From put in place. This is ‘everything and anything goes’. I love both approaches for different reasons. I don’t think this is an ‘easy’ game or anything, but it’s refreshing to have had these two From games one after the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Started Liurnia of the Lakes. I don't like it. Even though there is no mobility penalty, I just have a dislike for watery swampy areas.

Advertisement