Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

I don’t disagree with you. My earlier lost finished with saying there appears to be nothing anyone can do now. It’ll be months or years of a humanitarian catastrophe on our borders

• Registered Users Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A long war is very, very risky for Putin. The Russian public already sense the "special operation" is going badly after three weeks and if it stretches into months, they will know that to be the case. Becomes difficult for Putin to maintain the narrative when his own people realise the whole Ukraine thing has gone belly up and turned into a fiasco.

100% agree with this. I've said the political criminals that allowed this to happen have blood on their hands.

No. That's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying you're happy for someone else to fight your war for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Would Ukraine police be classified as racist?

• Advertisement

His irrationality increases exponentially if NATO attacks him. As I said, its a slim chance he does go nuclear... but slim is not zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

I hate to say this, but the Baltics are probably somewhat "easier" from a military standpoint than Ukraine is. The three countries are at the very edge of NATOs supply line whilst at the same time being close enough to major Russian logistics & industrial centres that supplying the troops should be a lot easier than down in Ukraine. What's more, the three countries in question are not particularly large or particularly well defended, even with the current NATO presence there. In addition, there are exposed and prone to encirclements. A quick pincer move east from Kaliningrad and west from Belarus could easily cut off the only overland route for NATO to the Baltic states. A massive push west and south from St. Petersburg would then stand a good chance of eliminating the NATO forces in the area before the west is able to organise supply convoys up the Baltic Sea.

Having said that, I doubt that Russia will be able to pull that off whilst the majority of its forces are tied down in Ukraine either for combat or "pacifying" operations. Even once these forces become available, they'd probably have to rely on overwhelming force of numbers because I doubt that their field commanders have the necessary operational freedom for any type of manoeuvre warfare, something that is unlikely to change.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They wouldn't be sending it if Ukraine hadn't wanted it and been party to discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭briany

Can't help but suspect that the thousands of Mariupol residents being reportedly bussed into Russia are not being bussed there with their best interests in mind. Wonder how many of those will ever get to return. Could be something the Russians do more and more with territory they've captured - just deport the residents. Make the country servile by disappearing its population. Scatter them to Siberia if they're lucky. If they're not lucky....

Feels like there is no point where the West will directly intervene because whatever line exists for it moves incrementally as Putin's behaviour worsens incrementally. So long as NATO territory is not deliberately encroached, and even then I can't be one hundred percent confident.

The problem for NATO is that a steadfast resolve not to directly intervene in Ukraine could really damage its foundation going forward. NATO will just look like an organisation that picks and chooses its battles rather than standing up for what is right and the supremacy of democracy, and people will be asking some serious questions the next time NATO is looking to get stuck into some rebellion in the Middle East or Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

You don't know how irrational mind works. Anything can trigger such response. Even no reaction from NATO...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Russian Deputy Commander of the Black Sea Fleet, Captain First Rank Andrey Nikolaevich Paliy, known as "Peter the Great", has been eliminated by Ukrainian Defence Forces while involved with Russian marine attacks near the port city of Mariupol. The first senior Russian naval official to be killed in the war so far. Paliy was born in Kyiv! Hope he sufferred.

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/ukrainian-defense-forces-eliminated-the-deputy-commander-of-the-russian-black-sea-fleet/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭brickster69

Easy to say when Ireland does not rely on Russia for gas. Try telling that to the countries that import 100% of it's energy from Russia. Try telling that to Germany whose manufacturing would grind to a halt in a week and cause massive knock on effects.

Hell even Italy carved out sending Gucci handbags and Armani suits from sanctions so hard to see countries going without energy for 6 months.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

There are NATO troops from many different countries in the baltics. Russia attacks those he'd be attacking all those NATO countries at minimum.

Russia can't get air superiority over Ukraine, NATO will have Air Supremacy over the baltics almost immediately. Any 40km (or such) convoy would be wiped out in hours.

Going on probabilities... attack from NATO is going to increase irrationality. Being attacked by NATO and backing down would be the rational thing to do. But, attacking Ukraine in the first place was unlikely to get a thumbs up from his therapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Well, exactly. We collectively need to be prepared to suffer economic hardship, of having manufacturing grind to a halt, of having brown-outs and so on. We managed to survive the economic carnage of a global pandemic, remember.

Such sacrifice is a pittance in comparison to what those in Ukraine are dealing with, and it's embarrassing if we're not willing to even do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Russia can no longer hold a veto over the UN security council as they do no uphold the tenets of this body, there needs to be a revolution in the RF so that the current regime is overthrown and the integrity of the security council upheld

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Not likely to be true. Ireland pays the market price for gas. If Russia's gas supply drops prices will increase. Do you think Ireland gets all the gas it wants at current prices and Germany doesn't get gas? It sure will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭rolling boh

It's not surprising people want NATO to get involved Russia will have to suffer massive really massive military defeats to maybe change something .Ukraine with only their soldiers have little chance of achieving that .They can keep fighting away but not enough to win out and with Putin having a fair level if support at home it's really looking grim . I see some reports of the Russians starting as they would see it cleansing the country that is another worry .I am rapidly losing faith that any other country can step in and broker a deal which before thought there was a small chance .

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@[Deleted User] - But anyone saying NATO should be attacking Ukraine should have the courage of their convictions and let us know how they intend to join up as part of a foreign legion

What a faux pas of an answer.

Believe it or not there are millions who hold the needless deaths of many thousands of women and children as being of far more significant a reason to intervene, than the veiled nuclear threats of a tyrant.

When exactly do you say enough is enough? All we are doing is allowing Russia to commit countless atrocities, and giving China carte blanche to do the same when it chooses to in the future. The nuclear threat will never go away, so do you just ignore the mass slaughtering of innocents for forever and a day?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: better to die fighting for freedom than to live under the jackboot of a despot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭briany

This is coming from the same company whose CEO once said that water being a human right was 'extreme'. To be honest, if they were currently producing MREs for the Russian soldiers, I would not be at all surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Those troops won't last long if the overland route for supplies is closed off. Supply via the sea will be difficult as well, given the presence and strength of the Russian Baltic Fleet. One of the reasons Ukraine is still going strong is not only NATO support but also the fact that most supply routes are beyond the range of Russian Ground Forces. Even if the crossing to Poland is closed, that still leaves the overland borders with Slovakia, Hungary and Romania. Any overland supplies heading to the Baltic countries meanwhile need to come through the Suwalki corridor, which is an obvious chokepoint.

I wouldn't be so sure about Russia not being able to at least temporarily gain air superiority either. NATO air presence in the Baltics is symbolic at best, seldom amounting to more than half a dozen fighters operating out of a single air base, with said air base being with in easy range of Russian long range SAMs. Will NATO be able to regain air superiority? Most likely, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Russia would be able to gain and hold air superiority for the first 72 hours of the operation, not least because they'd probably put a lot more "punch" into the operation than they did for Ukraine.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Good piece here on Putin from the BBC:

"Mr Putin's initial military plan looked like something devised by a KGB officer, one Western intelligence official explains.

It had been created, they say, by a tight "conspiratorial cabal" with an emphasis on secrecy. But the result was chaos. Russian military commanders were not ready and some soldiers went over the border without knowing what they were doing."

"Western spies, through sources they will not discuss, knew more about those plans than many inside Russia's leadership. But now they face a new challenge - understanding what Russia's leader will do next. And that is not easy.

"The challenge of understanding the Kremlin's moves is that Putin is the single decision-maker in Moscow," explains John Sipher, who formerly ran the CIA's Russia operations. And even though his views are often made clear through public statements, knowing how he will act on them is difficult intelligence challenge.

"It is extremely hard in a system as well protected as Russia to have good intelligence on what's happening inside the head of the leader especially when so many of his own people do not know what is going on," Sir John Sawers, a former head of Britain's MI6, told the BBC."

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Mariupol not looking good for Ukrainians at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

The Russians are not using encrypted communications so with the right equipment (a radio) people can listen in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think we might not be understanding the purpose of NATO. It is not a force to bring about democratic supremacy in the world. It's a defensive north Atlantic alliance. It has been carried along with the us a couple of times on some unrelated missions which were probably a mistake and would have led to divestment in NATO by European countries. NATO pondered for years before intervening in the Balkan wars. I don't remember a time when a NATO member has been invaded by anyone, I don't know why people are losing confidence in them now. There is no reason to believe that they would not meet their obligations. And they are not mandated to defend Ukraine. I have no doubt that if a NATO member is attacked that all of NATO will respond.

Stop saying it and actually do something. Is your contribution in the great fight against Putin's Russia to post on Boards.ie?

No, I've said the line is NATO countries. I've also said in the past we need to tackle China. China is a monster of the West's making.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭brickster69

What about Wall Street buying up Russian bonds and the Eu sending billions to Russia every week. You think not buying Nescafe is going to make any difference ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It’s insanity to be so reliant on Russian energy- there were choices - for example Germany shut down nuclear and coal fired production- Merkel pandering to the woke “the world is about to end” cult. Now we see what a real threat looks like.

This had better be a wake up call for all The idiots that revel in this nonsense. We also could do a lot more with wind and solar energy around Europe. That’s one area I think Ireland has done well with 40% of electricity now wind generated. It’s not without its drawbacks and issues but I’d a strong part of the overall energy mix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement