Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athletics 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Keely Hodgkinson is a phenomenal talent. Jenny Meadows, who is involved in her coaching, mentioned that she tore her quad recently. She believes that Keely could have run a second or two faster, had her training not been interrupted.

Athing Mu will have a serious rival in the coming years for sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Article from a few days ago but only saw it yesterday. Leon Reid avoids jail, aims to continue with athletics career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Rhasidat Adeleke won her section of the 400m final in the Big 12, clocking 52.33. She finished 3rd overall. Davicia Patterson won the 600yds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Molly Scott takes back the Irish National Record with a 7.19 at National Seniors following the re run of the final

Great to see Irish women’s sprinting reaching new heights.

On a related note, Phil Healy also ran 51:75 in the 400m final, just 0.01 seconds outside her recent PB. She’s getting consistent in the 51:7x range. If she can drop another couple of tenths of a second of her PB in Belgrade, she could be knocking on the door of the final in Belgrade.

Post edited by Hamachi on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Josh Kerr ran 3.48.8 in Boston University indoor meet. Savage running. He's going to have to be in contention for world indoors at that rate if he deicides to go. It will be a busy year with Euro, World and Commonwealth games on.

Edit to say Kerr broke Coughlan's european record that stood for 39 years. No fancy shoes back then!

Post edited by Ceepo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Hard to know what to make of it all with the shoes and fast tracks

Track is plenty interesting now with the new stars emerging

I'm in not doubt that track and shoe technology has came on a long way, and to be honest it doesn't bother me to much. We probably just need to have a mind shift around standard's now.

The point I was making really was how good Coughlan's time was, and other athletes in that era, that it took almost 40 yeas to break it. Kerr went through 1500m in 3.32.8. That's a time that still stands up well even by today's standard.

Ya of course sure Cram , Coe , Ovett would be competing for global gold today and prob running 1-40/3-26

Agree on the times they've just shifted because of the technology, merely requires a mental adjustment

• Advertisement

All Russian and Belarusian athletes excluded from World Athletics Series events for the foreseeable future with immediate affect. If left to stand that means no entry into Oregon, World Indoors or World Race Walking Team Champions. Not sure if it applies to the Diamond League.

In fairness the Russians shouldn't be competing anyway given their record

PB for Phil Healy in Madrid, 51.66, finishing 3rd. Sophie Becker won the 'B' final in 52.98. Sarah Lavin up shortly, already ran 8.08 in qualifying.

What’s even more encouraging about Phil Healy’s PB is that it was achieved with two blatant tactical errors. The first was at the mid-point break as she battled with Swiety-Ersetic and was pushed wide. The second was when she tried to pass again with ~120m to go and ran out of legs in the home straight.

I’m convinced that there is at least a couple more tenths of a second in her wheelhouse. Let’s hope she can bring it to Belgrade.

On a related note, Polish female 400m running is just amazingly deep right now. Kielbasinska set a new indoor NR of 51:10 a few weeks ago, Kaczmarek ran 51:15 finishing second to Femke Bol in Toruń, and now Swiety-Ersetic has just run 51:22. They can also draft in Baumgart-Witan for the relay. The US will have an almighty battle on their hands for gold, given the shape of the Polish women.

Another master class in Marathon running from Kipchoge and Kosgei in Tokyo this morning,. Kipchoge running 2.02,40 and Kosgei 2.16.02.

No doubt Kipchoge is the GOAT in male marathon running, and it could be argued that Kosgei is the female marathon GOAT

Significant result from the Polish indoor championships this weekend. Ewa Svoboda ran 6.99 in the 60m final. She’s the first woman globally to break the 7.00 second barrier since 2018. She has to be considered the gold medal favorite in Belgrade.

The women’s 400m final was also a barn burner. The aforementioned Justyna Swiety-Ersetic was victorious in a new national record of 51:04, despite running the entire second lap in lane 2. Kielbasinska and Kaczmarek were second and third in 51:20 and 51:24 respectively. Their fourth string athlete, Baumgart-Witan, is coming back from injury and ran 52:10. She will be faster in Belgrade. As above, they will be a formidable team at World Indoors.

Poland seems to be the European athletics powerhouse right now. I wonder is there something we can learn from their talent identification and coaching methodologies?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Nick Griggs becomes the first European under20 athlete ever to run an indoor sub-4 minute mile.

What a phenomenal talent we have on our hands. I don't think casual athletics fans realise just how fast that is for someone of his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Can Jakob break EL Gs 1500 and mile records with right conditions? I see he bagged indoor 1500 record

I just watched the race. What a phenomenon performance. Great race from himself and Coscoran.

Totally agree with your statement. Phenomenal talent

Yep. The fact Coscoran went wide down the last 50m shows how much respect he has for Griggs. The fact Griggs is running at that pace already is a great barometer for where he is in his development.

Does anyone have any information about Cian McPhillips. Haven't seen any mention of him in a long time, I don't think he ran any xc or indoors, Is he injured?

• Advertisement

With the right track and shoes ya , that's the way things are atm

Is Nick Griggs someone to legitimately get excited about, or is it still too early to tell? How do his times at 17 compare to some of the top runners today?

As with all these things, it's very hard to know.

But just to put his run last night into perspective. At 17 he is top 13 all time Irish indoors. And from I can make out is just over 1 second off a world u20 indoor record. Jacob has run 3.52 outdoors at 17.

Last night race was a fantastic run. And was more or less a time trial as he was aided by sitting on Coscoran. All be it he was able to and even challenged him over the last 100m. There is a difference in between that and having to race a championship race that might be more tactical or run at a slower pace. There maybe a number of other factors to take into account like injuries, burnout or many other things that life throws at you,

But for sure he's as good a prospect to ever come out of Ireland. Let's hope he can continue his progression

At 17 it's always too early to tell just how good he will be and how much he will develop.

However, what he's doing now is pretty much par to what Jakob Ingebrigtsen was doing at that age with the outdoor season still to come. It doesn't necessarily mean he will be at Jakob's level now when he turns 21 but, at the moment, he's only getting better.

Andrew Coscoran is an Olympic semi-finalist in the 1500m, the fact Griggs is running toe-to-toe with him at this moment tells you just how good he currently is.

So yes, it is absolutely right to be excited by him at the moment.

I'm loving this chopping and changing between Adeleke and Scott. Both of them just pushing each other all the time and it's only good for athletics as a whole.

Don't think Molly has the stamina to hold her 60m speed over 100m though but Adeleke definitely does. Very interested to see how fast she can go in the outdoor season because 7.17 must surely be converting close to a sub-11 100m, providing the conditions (wind speed etc) are favourable.

Adeleke runs in both 60 and 200 finals tonight. By the luck of the draw she's in lane 6 for the 200 final. Should be interesting.

I’m doubtful 7:17 or 7:19 translates to anything close to sub-11.

The now retired German sprinter Verena Sailer ran in around 7:10 over 60m many times throughout her career. However, despite being hugely motivated to crack the 11:00 second barrier, she never managed it.

In my view, 7:17 speed translates to somewhere between 11:10 and 11:20. I may eat my words later in the summer, but for now it’s best not to overegg the pudding.

Verena Sailer was a good starter and got into her running very quickly which is what you need for 60m but you need that bit better top speed and staying power to last 100m, which she didn't have.

I see her closer to the mould of Molly than Adeleke. I don't think Molly could run sub-11.

I’d like to see both go sub-11 in their careers, but let’s see what the future brings. I think Molly Scott plans to transition back to the hurdles at some point; hopefully, that flat speed can be put to good use.

Irish women’s sprinting is in a great place right now. In the 400m, Phil Healy is doing terrific things. If she has a good run in Belgrade, I can see her getting down to 51.5x or 51.4x. Sophie Becker and Sharlene Mawdsley have also run 52.xx this year. Can’t wait to see how they go in the relay in Belgrade. Looking to the future, it’s possible that we will have four women sub-52, with two of them sub-51 competing concurrently. This would surely make us competitive in the 4x400m, at least at European level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

BBC2 will be showing the world indoors next week

The draw for world indoors has been posted. Phil Healy has a total stinker of a heat in the 400m. In her heat, she has Lieke Klaver, Sada Williams, and Roneisha McGregor. I reckon she’ll need to run a national indoor record to make the semi-finals. The only positive is that she has been drawn in lane 6.

I’m hoping that Klaver is ridiculously exuberant over the first 200m and craters in the second lap. Perhaps the two Caribbean athletes are inexperienced indoors. Fingers crossed for Phil.

Sarah Healy has a reasonable draw in the women’s 1500m and has a legitimate shot at making the final.

Super run by Healy. Very cool! Scott through also. Becker's race was interesting. 🤣🤔

Agreed. Phil Healy looked good. She’ll get a decent lane in the semi final. Molly Scott bit below par, she’s through. The top 3 in Sophie Becker’s heat should be disqualified 😊

Sarah Healy very, very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

The standard of refereeing (or whatever it's called) is laughable. We had a women 60 heat where a poor athlete was disqualified for a false start on line 7, where very very clearly (both on replay, and on the data) it was lane 8. She had to protest for the mistake to be rectified. Poor girl.

Then we had a GB athlete woman disqualified in the 400 where she was clearly pushed off the track but still managed to finish 2nd. Got reinstated on appeal.

I am a newbie on these things but why are the decisions so poor? Is it always like that?

Was thinking of making a thread for World Indoors, but judging by the three posts here today there's seemingly not many watching?!

Fantastic gold for Mujinga Kambundji in the 60m, ran 6.96 to tie fourth on the all-time list! Favourite Swoboda wound up in 4th.

Great race in the women's 3000, Elle Purrier did very well to take the silver medal. Hailu was a somewhat surprising gold medallist with Taye taking the bronze. Debues-Stafford just missing out in 4th, to be honest I think she should've done better.

Femke Bol cantered to a win in her heat but couldn't get past McPherson in the SF, taking a heavy fall/dive at the line.

The potential Bol/Miller-Uibo clash was talked up a lot before these championships, but I'd be greatly surprised if the former manages to trouble Miller-Uibo, who basically jogged her way to the final.

Big surprise in the men's 3,000 was Aregawi being well beaten in heat 3 and finishing way back in 6th.

Not too much to say about the Irish taking part today. Phil Healy had a great win in her heat only to be completely outclassed in the SF's. Molly Scott did well to make the SF's also.

Roll on day 2!

8.03 PB for Sarah Lavin to qualify for the 60m hurdle SF's, which is coming up shortly. Hopefully closing in on sub-8 soon.

Israel Olatunde unlucky to miss out in the men's 60 metres, narrowly beaten out by Nigel Ellis.

Clérigh-Buttner unfortunately nowhere near contention, finished last in her 800m heat in 2:06.99. Síofra just seems to struggle at major championships? Never seems to run anywhere near her capabilities.

The Coleman-Jacobs battle in the 60m is shaping up nicely, although don't rule out Marvin Bracy springing a surprise.

Big shame that Keely Hodgkinson had to pull out with injury, would've been the heavy favourite for gold in the women's 800m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Sarah lavin into the final with a big Q and a sub 8.

Buzzing for Sarah Lavin. Great, clean run with 7.97. No expectations on her for the final. She can just go out there later and give it a lash. Hopefully, run another PB.

• Advertisement

Unreal for Sarah lavin, two PB's in two races today!

I know it’s not fair to single out a particular athlete, but I’m really not sure why Athletics Ireland continue selecting Siofra Cleirigh-Buttner.

She clearly doesn’t have the temperament to compete at this level. Why not give somebody like Georgie Hartigan a shot, who is in good form and seems like she could give a decent account of herself?

The two 1500m guys were pretty poor too. Andrew Coscoran put himself in the mix, but just didn’t have it at the end. Fair play to Sarah Lavin for raising her game and producing PBs when it truly matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Best interview in along time 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭4Ad

Miller-Uibo is such a great runner, she controlled the race from the start. She was hardly panting at the end.

Brilliant day for Sarah Lavin, two consecutive PB's to qualify for the final and end up in 7th place. Hopefully something to build on.

Delighted to see Jacobs beat the test-dodger 😎 Also hopefully puts to bed any notions of Tokyo being a fluke.

Something of a surprise to see Garcia take the men's 800m title. Well at least to me anyway, he wasn't on my radar at all. Not the first time we've seen Marco Arop go out too hard only to then get swallowed up by the pack. Led most of the race and ended up being dead last.

Easy enough for Miller-Uibo in the women's 400m, was never really troubled at any stage. Delighted to see Bol take the silver, she was always running for second place.

Agreed on Marcel Jacobs. He seems like a nice guy too, not carrying around a huge ego. Coleman was like a spoiled child in his after-race interviews.

Garcia wasn’t a surprise to me. He destroyed Bryce Hoppel over the last lap in the Grand Prix in Staten Island last month. He clearly has plenty of pace.

I usually prefer the women’s 400m vs. the men’s, but the latter was more exciting this time around. Nice run by Jereem Richards to run 45-flat indoors. Three guys under 45.40 is impressive. I’m a big fan of Femke Bol, but the media hyped her up far too much. She’s very talented, but never stood a chance against SMU in a flat 400m. Having said that, I reckon she is capable of running 49.xx outdoors and could potentially medal if she ever chooses to abandon the hurdles.

Biggest surprise for me is the American girl who took bronze in the 60m- Mary Beth Sant Price. Never heard of her before and she doesn’t look like a typical sprinter. She’s very slight, with little muscle tone compared to somebody like Svoboda or Kambundgi. Interesting to see if she can carry that form over to 100m outdoors.

• Advertisement

Fantastic effort from the 4x4 women. A huge new indoor record, but just missed out on the final. The men just missed out too.

A whopper of a world record for Rojas in the Triple jump. Beyond her own outdoor record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Any channels showing the worlds?

BBC 2 showing the final session at 3.30 today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement