Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

You should concern yourself more about the Amazon rainforest, China and India or the US to mention a few. I think we have made alot of good changes in this country and alot more than some of the countries mentioned when we all know if the above is not addressed no matter what we do will all be in vain. That's a Fact.

Sounds good and hopefully it's just not a proposal threw out there to keep people happy and not be acted on.Be interesting now to see how much attention is paid to this proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Change like evolution happens on a phased basis.

Green party supporters are happy to make excuses for, or ignore, that some of the major economies on the planet are responsible for the majority of CO2 emissions (64% of all hothouse gases) by their use of coal to generate electricity with few if any of them doing anything much to change, or if COP26 is anything to go by, even commit to changing that. Some even building new coal burning plants. Even for Europe with the present crisis some looking highly likely to increase their use of coal to fill the gap for unreliable and intermittent wind energy.

Yet these same supporters and the Irish Green Party somehow believe that Ireland can make the change from non-renewables to renewables in one fell swoop while ignoring the gap where it is clear that cannot be achieved. Renewables, or more accurately in our case, undependable wind energy is showing that on a daily basis and if anyone doubts that then take a look at your electricity bill.

Nobody is opposed to 100% clean renewable energy, but the question is how are we to get there. Even though there aren`t many others exactly breaking their necks or hurting their economies attempting to do it. The Irish Green Party are on a rampage opposing and banning any energy sources that can fill the gap,while being cheered on here by their supporters who when asked the same question have no answers. Blind faith is not going to change reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Hothouse gases 🤪, you can’t bring yourself to say greenhouse gases in case you go into meltdown.

Without the greenhouse effect Earth would be like the moon.

Agreed that Gormley`s presence would have probably made little or no difference, but I always felt that his phone being switched off was a convenient excuse.

He was a cabinet member so I knew there was a major problem brewing. Having his phone switched off to me left him more gormless than Gormley in that it gave him the "Nothing to do with me, I knew nothing about it and if I had......" excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

And yet you're here discussing the issue of energy generation, the need for additional energy sources in the transition to renewables.

Part of that answer for Ireland is indeed fossil fuels in the form of natural gas exploration. The green party have fuked up. It's now time that's fixed.

• Advertisement

Ya I’m discussing it what of it. burning the remnants of fish and dinosaurs that died millions of years ago as a means of extracting energy is not sustainable.

the Stone Age didn’t end for the lack of stones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Our CO2 per headcount is higher than all of them. So look after our own mess first and then we can point fingers at others

If you want to look at it in those terms, greenhouses are only heated by the sun, whereas hothouses are heated by artificial sources. On that basis I can only assume your answer to the point I made is that you see the sun being the solution of how we move in one fell swoop from needing non-renewables to fill the gap of unreliable wind energy to 100% renewables.

I can see where you get that idea from. With the Irish Green party rampaging around attempting to ban the use of all and everything non-renewable then there isn`t much else left to fill that gap and keep the lights on. But then how practical is that idea ?

Again I am all ears as to how you see that working.

Who is making any claims about sustainability? We're dealing with the here and now and the need to have a backup to renewables in a period of transition and possibly beyond.

So some of the top non renewable options on top of our current energy sources are:

*Nuclear. No fish and dinosaurs involved. Hugely controversial. Loved by some hated by others.

*Natural gas. Not just fish and dinosaur bits, but also decomposed organic plant matter and considered a lower carbon/cleaner fossil fuel.

*First two listed by the EU as being suitable as a means to facilitate the transition towards a predominantly renewable-based future

Hydrogen. A potential source but technology is uncertain at this point in time

Storage. Many issues including large scale electric storage is hugely expensive and comes with significant environmental issues relating to mining and known risk of fire.

Other inc & etc

Thats the reality at this moment in time. But yes without depenable sources of energy generation, Ireland and the rest of the world, will most likely start looking back to the stone age.

Maybe that's a solution, though not one I'd promote tbh.

You may want to look at your figures again

The C02 emissions per capita for the US is twice what it is Ireland

India whose given figure per capita is low is not believed to be in any way accurate and China whilst slightly below our own, now exceeds the EU average per capita emissions for C02 and is rising whilst overall Europe per capita rate is falling

The top five countries currently producing the most CO2 are China, the United States, India, Russia, and Japan.

If those countries fail to step up to the mark then we are simply pissing into the wind.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/092915/5-countries-produce-most-carbon-dioxide-co2.asp

I have heard this argument before. Now if you put up the amounts of CO2 produced by these countries compared to Ireland you would see unless these super polluters of countries drastically change, whatever we do is futile I'm afraid. I know that you don't want to believe this but it's true.

I didn’t say you where making any claims about sustainability.

Uranium is also mined to you know.

Gas at the point of combustion is cleaner then coal just don’t count the mining, transportation and storage emissions of the gas itself.

Hydrogen is doable now but only for industry.

when was the last time your battery in your toothbrush or cordless drill went on fire they have solved that issue.

Nuclear is hugely expensive

Thinking change in terms of cost is a fools game tge attitude needs to be a investment to a better society

From your username, assuming it refers to the part of country you come from, there is an expression used there that covers that.

Pissing into the wind

You sit are %100 correct. I was trying to be a bit more subtle. Unless the super pollution countries start to really get serious about Green issues and policys all the policys our Government are introducing are not going to have any impact on climate change and only impact on their citizens. All have to be in to really have a chance for change.

You can't complain about other countries when per person we pollute more. Every country has different size, population etc so the best rating is CO2 per person. So no idea how anyone in Ireland can point fingers when we are worse than most countries.

If we show the way and reduce our own CO2 then we will make Ireland cleaner but can also look then at other countries. Everyone points to China who is the manufacturing centre in the World and yet they are investing in renewable. Ireland doesn't have manufacturing.

Also our poor air quality is killing us all slowly. That we can change.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/rise-in-heart-and-lung-patients-due-to-poorer-air-quality-39298131.html

• Advertisement

China are investing in at least 30 new coal burning plants. U.S. increased coal production last year by 18%. Japan, who are building 7 more coal burning plants refused to sign the COP26 agreement saying the wanted to keep their energy requirements open. India where over 75% of their electricity comes from coal would not sign either until the wording was changed from "phasing out coal" to "phasing down coal" Along with Russia these four make up the top five emitters of CO2 on the planet.

Knowing all this the Irish Green party and their supporters still somehow believe we can save the planet single handed by making a magical jump to 100% renewables without nuclear, natural gas, LNG or anything else and not a single idea on how that can be achieved.

It`s magical fantasy thinking.

Whataboutery.

We are responsible for our emissions and we have the power to reduce our emissions.

Using the emissions, actions or inactions of other countries as a basis for an argument against us improving our own emissions is a fundamentally flawed approach.

Again we require a safe, secure and reliable source of energy to facilitate the transition towards a predominantly renewable-based future.

Btw nowhere did I say that was an exhaustive list of all the issues with alternatives. Rather an example of the alternatives we have to pick from and examples of just some of the pitfalls. And yes with mass battery storage - one of the known hazards is fire. Not me saying that btw.

Even with renewables there are significant issues with regard to mining and technology such solar panels etc being manufactured in places like China using electricity generated by means of coal fired power stations.

At the moment the main choices we have to facilitate transition to renewables are nuclear or natural gas. Take your pick.

It`s not whataboutery. It`s about greens here having the insane idea that while wrecking our economy we are somehow going to change any of the practices of 4 of the largest emitters on the planet and save it on our own. All four have shown they have no intention of doing anything about coal burning plants.

Meanwhile we have greens here expecting us to make a sudden jump to 100% renewable energy without non-renewables and not a single credible example of how that can be achieved. It`s fantasy nonsense.

Irelands CO2 level has dropped sharply in the last 12 years, its at 1980 levels.

It`s not whataboutery.

Yeah it is

It`s about greens here having the insane idea that while wrecking our economy we are somehow going to change any of the practices of 4 of the largest emitters on the planet and save it on our own.

Where have the Irish GP stated this objective? Have you a source or link, would like to have a look.

Meanwhile we have greens here expecting us to make a sudden jump to 100% renewable energy without non-renewables and not a single credible example of how that can be achieved.

Sudden? A 30 year transition is "sudden"? What does a slow transition look like?

No it is not.

It`s about the greens wrecking our economy when it will achieve sweet f a unless the four largest emitters, (with three of that four being among the strongest economies on the planet), who have clearly shown they have no intentions of dropping their use of coal for energy generation.

The transition we have managed so far certainly hasn`t achieved the low cost electricity energy we were told it would, nor will it with the pricing policy favoured by greens. So tell me where is this transition going from here.

How are we going to achieve the transmission to 100% renewable energy where practically all of our renewable energy presently comes from undependable wind that requires non-renewables to keep the lights on where Irish Greens have banned exploration licences, are attempting to ban LNG, will not even consider reopening turf burning stations, will not consider nuclear other than hoping they can scrounge it from elsewhere hoping it will be there at a sufficient level when needed, and plan to close Tarbert next year and Moneytpoint 2 years later. ?

Interesting if 100% correct. Very hard to know what facts and figures are correct, there is that much misinformation out there at the moment I find it hard to be able to determine what is true and what is false.

It's like a story I heard about peat moss being harvesting being stopped in Ireland but it then being imported in massive container ships from another country with hundreds and hundreds of lorries carrying it around the country. Can't be true surely.

Well with the report about how obese ireland is, taking a cycle might do all of us a bit of good

I again refer to the policies from the Greens and if you can point to any asking for Us to cycle 40miles to work

By the way, car sharing or pooling is done all over teh World, it was called “thumbing” when I was growing up.

This week alone to reduce fuel teh recommendations to car share and slow down has come from International agencies. Seems the Green got ahead of the rest with that advice

• Advertisement

The model of car ownership will change, the car dealership model is currently being eroded.

Comparing any Irish political party to the pol pot regime is completely reprehensible.

Advertisement