Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

161 Audi A6 EGR valve gone (again)!

• 25-03-2020 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

My 161 Audi A6 had EGR valve replaced at approx 100,000km (2 yrs old). It now has 178,000km on the clock and EGR valve needs to be replaced again. Is this normal? Am I being contrary to think this is an unacceptable failing in a car that portrays a reputation of quality built :confused:cars?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

Gorteen wrote: »
    My 161 Audi A6 had EGR valve replaced at approx 100,000km (2 yrs old). It now has 178,000km on the clock and EGR valve needs to be replaced again. Is this normal? Am I being contrary to think this is an unacceptable failing in a car that portrays a reputation of quality built :confused:cars?

Quite normal unfortunatly. The cars are well built its just the parts are rubbish.
    Was a genuine part used last time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Gorteen

vw4life wrote: »
    The cars are well built its just the parts are rubbish.

I might suggest to Audi Ireland that this statement should be part of the Vorsprung durch Technik advertising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

Gorteen wrote: »
    I might suggest to Audi Ireland that this statement should be part of the Vorsprung durch Technik advertising

Honesty is the best policy.
    Great cars to own and drive so I think its worth dealing with a few major issues from time to time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

Is this .all covered under.warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

EGR's in them are mega prone to failure.

If you paid for the first one to be fitted and it was an Audi genuine part, the parts have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty so it may be covered.

When those EGR's go bad, they can damage the DPF so I'd make sure the DPF looks ok when doing the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

What causes them to fail? Is it driving style or just rubbish parts? Is their any preventative maintenance that can be carried out to make them last?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

151 A6 here with the same issue. Im being told there are 2 egrs in these and its the low pressure one that needs replacing.
    They even mentioned having to remove gearbox to get access.
    Anyone heard this before

It's claimed to be a by product of driving style but nobody ever confirms the driving style as you see various cars (like OP's) which are relatively high mileage that still have failures. I think it's more like the older 1.6 tdi EGR's that are just a badly designed part.

With this failure you generally get a DPF fault P200200, remove the low pressure EGR cooler, look at the deposits on the entry side and if they are light grey/ white then it needs a new cooler.

It is an unpleasant job but gearbox removal isn't necessary. Book time is around 8.5 hours iirc, so ad 25-30% for a competent tech in reality, add 50% or more for your first time at it.

Would using Dipetane help or another additive help? I have a 161 so that's why I'm asking..

Cheers.

The garage removed mine this morning and showed it to be.
    All clogged up with soot and carbon.
    All being done under warranty as i only have the car 2 months.
    Being replaced with a genuine Audi valve so hopefully that will sort it

• Advertisement

To be fair I dont think there's anything preventative you can do that would be any use. Best thing to do to might be to put away €50 a month under the mattress for when it happens and just deal with it if and when. Audi seem to be making goodwill contributions of the cost of parts to anything fresh enough with a main dealer history which takes the sting out of it.

Not sure if my image will display but this is a photo of mine for anyone curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

sann wrote: »
    Not sure if my image will display but this is a photo of mine for anyone curious.

Sweet Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

When mine went for the second time with only 120km on the clock I got it deleted. 80 euro job done. Sorry environment bit my diesel gate vehicle is already bad for you and it's VW's fault not mine.

dodzy wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus

Not what you would expect after 60k miles!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Thats really bad.
    Out if curiosity what ,if any , is your regular diesel and what is your driving style.
    I ask as I remember taking my egr off my 05 E class when it was throwing a EML light and was really surprised at how clean it was and that was after I clocked up about 60k kms on it. Was using Applegreen diesel.

koutoubia wrote: »
    Thats really bad.
    Out if curiosity what ,if any , is your regular diesel and what is your driving style.
    I ask as I remember taking my egr off my 05 E class when it was throwing a EML light and was really surprised at how clean it was and that was after I clocked up about 60k kms on it. Was using Applegreen diesel.
    My driving style would not be a factor as i only bought it about 8 weeks ago

ah ok!

Any EGR valve in any car with a few thousand miles of driving will be carbon coated on the inside with gunk like that. You need to look at the inlet side of the EGR cooler. If you are getting white deposits like this, it's indicating the cooler is blocked.

d358629b_d9cf_47c7_bd31_93a7a8d8ee02_a60dd58a0e80fea8287799f5db790f0ae2642c4b.jpeg

Update to my own situation. After changing egr and still having trouble i got the dpf inspected only to find someone had gutted it and there wasnt one actually in it!!
    Looks like they got some coyboy to carry out the remap as well.
    What a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Update to my own situation. After changing egr and still having trouble i got the dpf inspected only to find someone had gutted it and there wasnt one actually in it!!
    Looks like they got some coyboy to carry out the remap as well.
    What a disaster.

What are you going to do? Get it remapped properly to eliminate the egr? That's what I would do.

will the fact that there is no dpf present be an issue at NCT time?

To be honest there is a new egr gone in to it under warranty so wont be doing delete. The DPF missing shouldnt be an NCT issue as there was no way of knowing without removing it as it has the guts removed.
    Will probably fit a new Dpf but not sure yet.
    There are alot of guys advertising the dpf delete which is straight forward mechanically but they have not a clue about the mapping side of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Be prepared to pay a few quid if your going to fit a new dpf. You'll be better off without it in all honesty.

Be prepared to pay a few quid if your going to fit a new dpf. You'll be better off without it in all honesty.

I'd have to agree, I know all the tree huggers will be up in arms but a car continuously going into limp mode would drive you crazy.

But if i fit a dpf, it will solve all of my issues.
    That will be a new egr and new dpf.
    It is not costing me anything so i would be happier to get it put back.
    Also i think it is illegal to sell a car without a dpf so might only end up causing me more headache down the line.
    I understand where you are coming from and if i was going to keep it for a few years i would consider it.

But if i fit a dpf, it will solve all of my issues.
    That will be a new egr and new dpf.
    It is not costing me anything so i would be happier to get it put back.
    Also i think it is illegal to sell a car without a dpf so might only end up causing me more headache down the line.
    I understand where you are coming from and if i was going to keep it for a few years i would consider it.

It's really difficult to say if it will. I honestly don't think so as it looks like something has blocked the egr and would have done the same to a dpf had one been fitted. Fixing dpf or egr problems takes time and a real understanding of the components involved. Getting someone in a garage to follow logic and check everything is not going to be easy as most just want to keep throwing components on to the engine. It's a bit like fairy lights, everything has to be correct before it works properly. It could be something like a faulty injector or even a cracked pipe/hose that's preventing regeneration thus allowing soot to build etc...

Definitely see where you are coming from and with only few more months left in warranty.
    To be honest, i have lost all love for the car and will probably trade up in the next few months anyway.
    Back to petrol as well id say as i dont really need to go Diesel from a milage perspective.
    Thanks for all the opinions 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

To be honest there is a new egr gone in to it under warranty so wont be doing delete. The DPF missing shouldnt be an NCT issue as there was no way of knowing without removing it as it has the guts removed.
    Will probably fit a new Dpf but not sure yet.
    There are alot of guys advertising the dpf delete which is straight forward mechanically but they have not a clue about the mapping side of it.

I was told by a garage man that the nct woud be looking for cuts and welds that are out of the normal on the dpf.
    Supposedly when lads are gutting it they cut the underside so its not visable

• Advertisement

I will be getting it in writing that a dpf has been fitted on x date by garage x.
    But i presume with a new dpf being fitted it wont be showing any signs of interferance anyway.

Engine Management Light has just come on this mooring and is now not on.

I'm thinking this is the EGR valve again?????

I wouldn't panic just yet. It could literally be anything. 3 EGR's would be savage unlucky.

3 EGRs doesn't even get considered as savage unlucky in my mind!

I bought the car new in 2016. Within 18 months it needed a new gearbox and a new water pump. Later issues with electric windows.... If this latest fault is the EGr valve, this will be the 4th EGR valve since new (including the new one in the new car I bought in 2016).

I have driven some serious heaps of sh**e in my life but I was never inside the cab of a breakdown rescue truck until I bought a new Audi A6!!!!! Car always Audi dealership service when due. Not driven harshly or abused.

Savage unlucky??? Or serious manufacturing and quality issues???? I can safely say I have never been more disappointed in a make of car... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

Has the car gone into limp home mode ?.

Did you get a new dpf fitted under warranty in november ?

I must check my receipts, but pretty sure it was last done in March 2020. Car driving "normally" and now engine management light has gone off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Why don’t you just get the EGR mapped out?

Don't know enough about that. If it means bypassing the EGR in some way, surely that may impact on NCT? Or maybe have consequences for engine running???

No impact on NCT and engine runs a lot better without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Whocare

If you bypass egr valve. You can't do forced dpf regenerations something to bear in mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

Would the NCT obd check not show that the egr was mapped out?

• Advertisement

If the map is done properly everything should look standard to a scanner, NCT just check for stored faults, always get any codes erased before the test.

Touch wood I've 150K on our 161 and not a ounce of trouble yet!

Happy to hear that for you.

That's the kind of trouble-free motoring I expected when I bought my A6 from new. :(

😆

Gotta love this site especially the mods, probably get a lash from biko next....

Exactly, it isn't like they're exactly cheap cars, hopefully you'll get sorted.

I probably shouldn't have fed into your trolling.

If you dont love it, why dont you leave? Nobody's keeping you here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

The above post is somewhat relevant to be fair, you always hear horror stories more so than the majority who have few issues

• Advertisement
Advertisement