Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Brock Lesnar debuted on the main roster 20 years ago today. It’s a testament to Brock that 20 years later he’s still the most believable superstar wwe has.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It's unlikely they will be. They, according to their manager are meeting next week to set up and start 3 weeks of pre-production for their 7th studio album, to start tracking it for the end of April.

Doubt they'd want any outside distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

He is the most entertaining guy they have on the roster right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

What is it about Dolph Ziggler that WWE doesn't give him much of a chance on top? I mean he ticks off the boxes for someone who could be an effective main event for the company yet WWE always keep him in a certain position, never really taking a chance or giving him a big push. I mean he's very good in the ring, good on the mic, he has a decent look and he's a veteran of WWE too. Seems like the only chance he ever had was when he won the world heavyweight championship from Edge, but even his world title reign was lackluster because of his booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Nothing about him feels real, he's the lead character in a 2k game, and that really translates, it's why People like him as a challenger but don't buy him as the guy.

Name your top 5 ziggler matches?

• Advertisement

28 years ago today wrestle mania 10 happened from MSG. There is the amazing opener with Owen hart vs Bret hart which imo is the best opening match in mania history, and we had the IC title ladder match with HBK vs the late Scott hall(that still feels weird) and the macho man vs Crush in a match that sounded better on paper than in reality which was a shame.

and we had Bret hart win the world title to end the night and this time no hogan to steal the spotlight. I do wish the ending was better, because Yoko falling off the second rope by himself was stupid. We had the woman’s title match between Alundra Blaze and Leilani Kai which is now the only match from that night where all the competitors are still alive.

True, he's always been good as a challenger but that's why I think he's good as someone who can work the main event scene. He can give people good matches and put on entertaining performances. He doesn't necessarily have to be a top guy, but at least give him better consistent booking instead of making him a jobber. I know he won the NXT Championship but that was a bit of a downgrade tbh.

As for his matches he had a really good match against Rey Mysterio at SummerSlam 2009 for the Intercontinental Championship. His match against Edge at Royal Rumble 2011 for the World Heavyweight Championship was one of the best of the night, and his match against Daniel Bryan at Bragging Rights 2010. That's all I can remember tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Is it just me or does Carmella have the worst case of go away heat? She's done the same gimmick since she debuted, small deviations not withstanding, and now an awful reality tv show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Ziggler is one of those stars didn't see right in front of them. Talk about white hot when in crashed in his MITB.

A post mania crowd yes but the roof nearly came off the place. He had everything. Bumped like a boss, a super blonde "look", genuine charisma and main event believability.

It's funny cause unlike Cesaro WWE really did a Triple H on him and seemed to really wanted to create a legit main event. He had a few false starts but the Dolph gimmick had a rocket to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Apart from the post mania crowd it was mostly crickets after though. He could connect with smart fans but not the regular joe soaps in the crowd and so never got to the next level. If becky hadn’t hit on “the man” gimmick we would be saying the same about her today. Workrate and talent don’t mean a thing unless they find that something special for the crowd to get behind,

look at reigns, he had the full force of the Company behind him for years but only properly clicked with the tribal chief gimmick. Good worker, well liked but in no way over till then,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That's sad about Scott Hall. Says he was laying on the floor for a few days with the broken hip. That basically says he didn't really have anyone in his life. Fair play to DDP for checking in on him.

Sad. Like Scott Hall is a legend in wrestling. He wrestled in front of thousands of people around the world at one point, to having THOUSANDS of fans... to when that was all long ended, getting high/drunk/whatever during the pandemic (as Waltman eludes to) as it hit him hard (assume being on his own) to laying there for a few days also on his own injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Elijah Burke should've been a star. I'll die on that hill.

Looking back on Booker T's in-ring work, he was pretty a unique wrestler in that he had the body of a heavyweight but used a lot of cruiserweight type moves in his arsenal, and was very agile in the ring. I don't if Booker is underrated but he's a guy who tends to get overlooked when people talk about great in-ring performers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Elijah Burke a top star??

He was great and so over as da Pope at the start of his TNA run, but of course TNA had to mess it up

He had a great look, a lot of charisma, a cool finisher (Does anyone use the Elijah Express? They should) and a cracking theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,045 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Looking through the women's roster I notice how many seem to have disappeared and just occasionally show up randomly like Shotzi, Xia, Alexa, Aliyah. A couple have more appearances like Doudrop and Nikki. I'm sure they'll be thrown into tag teams at some point. But it does seem the women in the Mania matches are the ones that get attention on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

It's strange how they're just doing nothing with Alexa given how much of a focus she was a few months ago. She's solid enough in the ring and obviously looks like a movie star so I'm not sure why they wouldn't make use of her.

Bizarre that she's not doing anything. Fans love her.

They rushed her back for the Saudi show when they had no further plans for her, especially since they didn't even bother changing her character.

• Advertisement

Trish rolling back the years at a house show last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Trish still looks incredible. Fair play to her.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Surely a Becky/Trish match in the works down the road. SummerSlam would be a great time for it.

35 years ago today at this moment wrestle mania 3 was taking place and this is the opening and even though I’ve watched this so many times, that initial look at the silver dome is iconic. And no I don’t think there was 93,173 there but neither do I believe the 78,000 number that meltzer and others have put out. I say that because the stated capacity for NFL blackout rules by the lions was just short of 81,000 so I don’t see nearly three thousand empty seats. The wwf and the silver dome did put out a press release six days before the event saying it had sold 88,000 tickets which doesn’t sound that off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I watched a raw from 2002 last week and Trish was on it. She was incredible looking. Even back in the day I thought she was hot (who didnt) but you could really see it more so when you go back.

Amazing to think 20 years later and she still has it. I reckon every wwe wrestler was looking to get it on with her. But that's something you never heard about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

The only thing I didn't like about him was the drag factor of being paired with Sylvester Terkay the Manbearpig. Only found out about his botch reputation long after he was gone from WWE but I don't recall seeing it at the time as opposed to your Sin Caras and such.

Elijah Burke is just one of those wrestlers who I think got lost in the shuffle in TNA when Hogan and Bischoff took over. All of a sudden they brought in their own guys like Jeff Hardy, Rob Van Dam, and Mr Anderson, and started pushing them. Then Robert Roode, Austin Aries and Bully Ray got pushed and before long Burke was an afterthought. I don't know if he had a reputation behind the scenes but it seems to me that politics played a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I was never really gone on Burke/Pope, he just had that type of charisma that seemed incredibly forced.

I'm a genuine believer that the cream rises if they're committed enough. Just look at LA Knight as a comparison, gave it socks on a free YouTube channel not so long ago, on the same show as Pope and around the same age, and now he's surely about to be a post Mania call up.

Is Pope still on NWA? Haven't watched in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

It's 10 years ago since WrestleMania 28 happened.

It was one of the those WrestleMania where the road to it was amazing, but the show itself was not all that great.

Advertisement