Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It really has ,to lose that many senior officers is damaging in the short and long term view especially when it comes to morale on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

Yeah thats a fair point i know its the whole nuke threat but id still wager scum like putin are too self serving to kill themselves in a nuke war, thats why i think NATO should go in, in sneakier ways ala "little green men" with covered armbands or to peacekeep.. ect they need to do more anyway but in a more creative way than offically going to war imo anyway.

Can you/others debate without pejorative? It's this childish boorishness that makes me wonder if it's kids I'm debating with playing with toy soldiers.

We can each pick advocates for our positions...https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/08/mad-or-bad-a-deep-dive-into-putins-psyche

On balance I don't think Putin would launch nukes, but there's a statistical chance.

The problem with this is that if it comes to pass its effectively the death of 8 billion people and untold unborn. All these people won't die immediately some may take weeks/months to die slowly.

Now, can you answer my question why do you think NATO command have decided not to engage directly? Can you answer me that? Are they, with all their intelligence, chicken littles?

He was killed in fighting in Mariupol,he was on the ground and not aboard the safety of a ship

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

The problem there is the damage that would be done to this small countries would be significant and unlike Ukraine where we saw troops heading in first this war would be through the air, like the Americans did in Baghdad. Any retaliation would be on Russian soil which massively increases the chances of a nuclear reaction.

In Ukraine they have the chance to give Putin a right good kicking without ever threatening the motherland. They'll never get this chance again. They don't even have to commit a signal soldier on the ground. There's more than enough Ukrainians to do the grunt work. Nato would just work the machinery end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Let's be honest I can't see Russia invading any other country after this Ukrainian invasion. Its still ongoing in Ukraine and there still loosing a ton of material and soldiers the longer this drags on. If they had of won the war after a few days then a different ball game, might of moved on other non Nato countries . It will be years and years after this ends before the Russian military will be back up to levels in material and proper training for the military to invade a country again and that's before there loosing more and more each day. Hearing on this thread they will invade Poland etc. after Ukraine, I honestly can't see that happening. It won't, not chance it will so no point going on about them invading a country in Nato as that won't happen, even non Nato countries they probably won't as they will more then likely military be in any position to do so.

No. I think NATO have to hold to their stated aims of defending NATO soil.

In the mean time sanctions will continue to severely damage Russia's ability to wage war.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

In the end though they will have to negotiate with Putin and Russia will still exist. It's about minimizing suffering now but also not rewarding Russia for it's aggression. This could drag out for a long time.

We've been through this and it's waffle. Could take 12 to 24months to have an effect. Ukraine won't exist when your sanctions take effect. Any decent sanction that would hurt immediately we've avoided as we won't take any pain ourselves.

I don't think NATO would want to engage now even if nuclear weapons didn't exist, the outcome could still be millions dead with conventional warfare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Russia flatten everything, force a third of the population out of the East of the Ukraine, the rest dead or subdued.

It may break Russia to do it but they can win the longer it goes on.

In another 10 months Europe will be dealing with an arc of hunger, revolution and economic instability from Nigeria to Afghanistan.

The longer it drags out the worse for Ukraine,us and the world.

Russia certainly are making it difficult for themselves and have been outfought by the Ukrainian forces. They'll resort now to long distance shelling, siege starvation and mass murder of civilians.

@RGARDINR Let's be honest I can't see Russia invading any other country after this Ukrainian invasion. ...

Putin would be still be stupid enough to try ,he's not going to stop at ukraine or he's at least going to nuke part of Ukraine he's not living reality anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bidens son didnt die in Iraq or in combat, he died from illness. It's easy to think otherwise given the way Biden goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,373 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I imagine it would feel terrible.

However if NATO gets involved this would cause WW3.

We are only a short hop to nuclear war at that stage.

I would urge you to watch the 1984 film threads, I will warn you though it’s pretty horrific but shows what would happen in the event of a nuclear war.

See theres the problem, we have started the habit of accommodating putins bullshit, we need to remember and remind putin we have nukes too, otherwise putin can essentially invade anyone that isnt NATO and no one can stop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I would be more inclined he might go the nuke option in Ukraine then invading another country. I can agree on that, but no I can't see him invading another country. I suppose with the nuke option it would be more I think if his army was in a complete route and Ukraine was advancing on every front and even going back into crime then I definitely could see him using them then. At the moment I'm not 100% sure as his forces are still doing major damage in Ukraine. More of there was a total retreat by Russia then yeah I could see him using them then or possibly in the west of Ukraine to show his complete anger with NATO weapons etc. Coming across from there.

Nato is ran by the US, France and UK. None will suffer if Ukraine falls and none of them have the political stomach to bring their country to war. The Eastern block would go to war in the morning if they thought the big boys would back them. Which they won't

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My bad, I was completely wrong footed by the way Biden would bring it up, juxtaposed with talking about US casualties in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I agree completely. It's possible that us would have more appetite because they feel relatively safe even in an all out war but western Europe will never agree to a war unless they are forced kicking and screaming into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

It wouldn't be millions dead in conventional warfare. We've seen that Russia can barely even manage an effective invasion of Ukraine. NATO's move against Russia would indeed be swift, but to be specific, I wouldn't see a NATO intervention going any further than pushing Russian forces back inside their own friendly borders.

• Advertisement

We cannot buy our security, our freedom from the threat of the bomb by committing an immorality so great as to say to 44 million human beings now being massacred by Russia, "Give up your dreams of freedom because to save our own skins, we're willing to make a deal with your enemy. Alexander Hamilton said, "A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one."

Ronald Regan's speech is fairly applicable in these times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Apparently, in an intercepted conversation of a Russian soldier with his girlfriend, 8 Russian soldiers have died in a special baking operation after a Ukrainian babushka treated them with some lovely pirozhki (little pies/pastries). They turned out to be poisonous. Babushka would have access to and could have used mushrooms, rat poison(fitting), pesticides, or leaves from poisonous shrubs that come from that part of Central Europe. The Russians obviously don't fear Baba Yaga but at least they were loved to death by the babushka

I think Russia would consider it an invasion of Russia, they would mobilize the entire country and even when pushed back, you would be dealing with years of fighting and missile launches and naval battles with submarines, assainations on NATO soil etc, everything would come into play as the Russian propaganda would be a fight for Russian freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

I've posted this on the Ukraine thread but I'm posting it here as well, because a few hard nosed posters on here don't seem to comprehend the level of suffering of the Ukrainian children.

There are doubtless thousands more horror tales much worse than this account. But for all those on this thread who keep pushing the rhetoric that we should not intervene, just stop and think for just a moment - instead of believing at least you and your family would be safe if we sit back. You ignore it at your peril... it could be a child of yours that suffers in the future in this way if we let butchers terrorise the world unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Russian stock market is set to open tomorrow. I don't think it will be the Armageddon people think. There will be nobody to buy the stock for it to be sold. If the stock drops so much in value, it wouldn't be worth selling right now either. The people that will suffer will be folks who are due to retire soon. The wealthy folk can hang onto it.

NATO would make clean **** of the russian military they are an embarrassment

Like I said, Russia won't leave its borders to attack nato so essentially you'll have to attack Russia which leaves you with a much greater chance of escalating to the level everyone wants to avoid. Do it now. Fcuk him up on Ukrainian soil and we'll reduce alot of hardship on all sides , including reducing the risk of nuclear reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

He is near guranteed to take at least Moldova if he gets Ukraine. There are Russian troops currently in the Moldovan breakaway region of Transnistria, fomenting trouble to serve as a pretext the same way Donbass and Luhansk have. There are Russian speakers in the eastern parts of Finland that I'm sure could come under attack from the not Russian Finns, and who obviously would need to be protected also.

Thats just it, theirs alot of picking and choosing who's worth saving and who's not it is sick and we should be threatening Russia with a full force response and the destruction of everything russian within ukraines boarders not pandering to appease Putin.

• Advertisement

If that isnt worth going to war for we may as well scrap NATO, wheres the line drawn at this point?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement