Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options
1798081828385»

Comments

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I didn't say they were red herrings in my first post. I said a lot of the stuff never really mattered in the end cos it was so conveniently tied up in a bow. Just an observation about how the series promised much but ultimatley for me delivered very little.

The owner of the biggest corporation/employer in the area has a black one eyed man working as a butler/chauffeur for him and no one spots this in 35 years?

The bag is planted by Harris and it takes Hays ten years to realise this?

The town was referenced as being destroyed by the disappearance, schools close, homes get over grown, basically becomes a ghost town...for what reason ??

Hoyt's estate - everyone just ups and leaves. Leaves everything behind in the pink room as it was in the 80s.

Book conveniently falling and opening on specific pages.

There's a lot of stuff that jars with me the more I think about it. I did enjoy the first 7 episodes, great performances by Ali, Dorff...and McNairy!...but nahhh, everything is too convenient in the end for me.

I think we're getting at who the real villain is here; automation

yes the last episode was a panic-stations wrap up in terms of story

if the idea was to present an anti-mystery story and make it about the characters it needed to be more skilfully handled - the last episode really wrecked that concept.

for me the characters weren't complex enough and didn't change much over the 8 episodes - not sure where the "character development" actually was.

nic pizzolatto really needs to hand off the writing duties

his directing of episodes that he did was poor also on the whole (4 and 5). the audience figures for episode 5 dropped way down from 1.45 million to .88 million after that awful episode 4

the different timezones wasn't really that successful really either - West's character re-entry into the present day timezone was jarring and there were other issues such as intermittent introductions of further timezones outside of the main 3 - 80, 90, present day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Good review here of finale and season as a whole.

Interesting to note that Pizzolatto said there was no connection to Jacob's Ladder “Not inspired by that at all (never seen it, actually).

And when asked about Hays and his daughter: ''She and Wayne don’t have any problem other than neither of them is good at reaching out (Amelia was the parent who always called every week), and they’ve both been lonely without the other.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/02/true-detective-season-3-finale-review/583672/?utm_source=twitter&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_term=2019-02-27T11%3A00%3A34&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=the-atlantic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I'm seeing Scoot McNairy (could there BE a more redneck name?) all over the place now.

I'm seeing Scoot McNairy (could there BE a more redneck name?) all over the place now.

He's a decent actor and around a fair while.

The character that he played in "halt and catch fire" was such a drip that it out me off him a bit

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

He is a brilliant actor. Have a look at Killing Them Softly, good movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Great performances laid over a shoddy, muddled script. First episode or two showed amazing promise but it just went around in circles and the character development just wasn't there. Season 2 had its flaws but narratively it was way stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Butson

Overall I enjoyed it

Thought the 3 timelines were very clever and well executed. Sure some of the suspects were red herrings, but it wasn't a neatly packaged, laid out ending that neither confirmed or refuted peoples theories on individuals or the case. If you want that, about 5 new Hollywood movies come out a week so knock your heart out!

The acting made up for any weak points, and it probably could have finished an hour earlier, but the way some people carry on almost getting offended that Pizzolatto didn't make a show that they wanted to see....funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭rodders999

Started extremely promisingly, faded in the middle and bombed at the end. Really wish they stopped making these after season 1 which was brilliant.

I haven't ready back over the previous posts but I presume I'm not the only one who couldn't understand about 80% of Hay's dialogue?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Just finished it. Thought it was a colossal waste of time.

The wrap up of the Julie Purcell mystery was laughable. And the interactions between Haze and his wife became very tedious.

It was really a 3 or 4 episode show that they completely dragged the arse out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

glasso wrote: »
    the insults to get into the bar fight with the bikers were actual good lines and a good scene.

Great scene. That and the shootout were the highlights of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

True Detective' Season 4 in the Works at HBO From Issa López, Barry Jenkins

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I wonder where they are thinking of basing it then. Maybe New York or a second visit to LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I honestly hope they stay away from New York, Chicago or any big eastern city in that vacinity. Pre millennium Texas, Colorado or Oklahoma would be a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've to still start Series 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

Season 1 is still the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Unbelievably good season ,the others aren't a patch on it.

Season 3 imo is an utter drawn-out boring and completely pointless piece-of-shite of the highest order complete with time-shifts that achieve absolute nothing except to make it worse - worth a hard skip!

One of the biggest wastes of time in terms of a season of a TV series that I've ever gone through.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jodie Foster to star

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just got into this recently but there was a press release 23rd December last year with season 4 being set in Alaska, so could have Fargo (the movie) type vibes.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Advertisement