Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,592 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

They said themselves they wanted something to get them away from the wife.

It's important to know yourself though what's harming (going to kill you) than something to give you an interest and mindfulness and a pastime to potter around.

Whether we will all know the difference and able to make the decision is another thing. There's the fear of loosing out in every way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I heard a professor on the wireless earlier talking about tillage and what he said made no sense to me at all... He was talking about cost of veg and pasta going up because of whats happening in Ukraine...

He suggested the Government could have a food ombudsman to monitor price of imported veg etc to maintain a higher price for basic everyday supermarket goods... How can we monitor the price of goods not produced here...

Personally i want us to grow our own spuds etc... he pretty well ruled this out....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭straight

I do but i am not a real farmer that can supply the masses... that's done abroad... so something we are good at we get others to do for us...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

Sounds like he wants another quango...wouldn't be surprised if he would be "advising" or "a board member" etc

Too many chiefs living off the back of too few Indians if you ask me....how well he's not thinking of monitoring food waste and low prices paid for indigenous produce etc....maybe encourage irish farmers by offering them a fair deal to produce what we can produce well and market it properly, maybe someone should get it in neck for closing down sugar beet industry etc etc..........

• Advertisement

A farming friend described farming to me once like an an addiction to drink or drugs... if its in you will not be content unless your at it... His toys are modest just a 10 year old jeep and a tractor....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,605 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My dad is 78, he comes down at bang on half 9 each morning , does a bit around the yard. Comes down around half 2 then either does the cow mats or brings in the cows. He gets a bit of farming in and can then go back to his garden or whatever . Keeps him in tune with things on farm and a bit of a break from his own house

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

You don't have to supply the masses, plant enough for yourself and a few family members and get them involved and that's all you need to do, I grow a garden myself and while it doesn't provide what we need year round it provides enough for a lot of the year for 2 people with no great labour output, a lot of farmers and rural people with a small field out the back could become more self sufficient but I see a lot of lads are helpless if a job can't be done from the seat of a tractor/digger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Could you imagine what it would do to your dad if you told him ‘sorry Dad but I don’t want you coming to the farm again’……….

it’s his therapy, medicine and health all rolled into one.

same for the lad shaking the €860 ton of 18.6.12 for 7 sucklers. It’ll won’t make him or break him but it keeps him occupied, happy and I’m sure a lot healthier than if he stayed cooped up in the house all day or doing stuff he didn’t want to do.

• Advertisement

I actually think our home grown veg better than imported so i think if the guy i mentioned earlier said Irish get agreed price for producing i would be happy to pay alot more for what i buy and wouldn't bother growing anything... There is a machine for almost everything now if the Government wanted us to be secure as regard the food we eat...

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Funny my father has the same opinion..my father had a story of a neighbour he was good friends with now decased years. Back in the day cattle were going bad and the "advice" was to cut back. The neighbour said now is the time to stick in to them and stock up.. He was right cattle, went mad dear after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Problem is a lot of us are slaves to it...........can’t go anywhere worrying about the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/arid-40828265.html

Always enjoy his comments,

https://youtube.com/shorts/wbGSg2Oa-Lk?feature=share

Another witty man, nothing to do with fertilizer thought

You have to learn to cut off from it for a while. Finished up here each evening by 5.30, unless calving. Off at weekends to games etc. There's more to life than bring a slave. No ones going to get a medal for killing themselves working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Agree,prime example ITV racing commentator telling us Rachel Blackmores father checking the cows on his phone 5 mins after his daughter won the champion hurlde....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

Stories about enjoying small farming reminded me of this parable….

An American investment banker was taking a much-needed vacation in a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. The boat had several large, fresh fish in it.

The investment banker was impressed by the quality of the fish and asked the Mexican how long it took to catch them. The Mexican replied, “Only a little while.” The banker then asked why he didn’t stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican fisherman replied he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs.

The American then asked “But what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman replied, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos: I have a full and busy life, señor.”

The investment banker scoffed, “I am an Ivy League MBA, and I could help you. You could spend more time fishing and with the proceeds buy a bigger boat, and with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats until eventually you would have a whole fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to the middleman you could sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You could control the product, processing and distribution.”

Then he added, “Of course, you would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City where you would run your growing enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But señor, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15-20 years.”

“But what then?” asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You could make millions.”

“Millions, señor? Then what?”

To which the investment banker replied, “Then you would retire. You could move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,592 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Dairy farming the stock always come first.

Dairy farming can make you antisocial hidden by the farming. Don't ask me how I know..😁

Example I gave above previously the family asked me to have a word as their health has decreased and workload increased. They know longterm what is needed but habits and the farmer business head won't let them even as their body says otherwise. The family want him to grow old watching the grandchildren grow up.

I know the posts and thanks saying let the old and not so old hobble along at their own pace. My own father at 85 does the milking with me and never misses a beat. I wouldn't stop him he knows what he's able to do and if he doesn't do anything I'll be doing it anyway.

It's when you're on your own farming and the head is writing cheques the body can't cash and it's getting risky day to day with livestock maybe we all should be looking for a retirement or a reduction in work. The French farmers dream of retirement in their hunting lodges. Here we wonder how the calves will be fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

But he's in Cheltenham...proof that a farmer can get away..

• Advertisement

spin...spin... spin... he was at the races... If i was his employee i would not be happy as it shows he clearly does not trust his staff... maybe it was the wife at home looking after the stock...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I'd say he thinks a Woman's place is at home cooking, cleaning and rearing the kids. A right blast from the past!

I would not expect thinking be one of your better traits.

Are you asking about managing the farm "hands on" or remotely from the racecourse...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭straight

Reality starting to bite....

https://www.agdaily.com/insights/perspective-europes-farm-to-fork-strategy-hits-the-wall-of-reality/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

When there are empty shelves the green and vegan agendas won’t get much air time.

I have being argueing for years that a nations first responsibility where possible to provide food for its own people but most people think i am silly... (maybe they are right) We do not produce any flour... very little veg... i do not know if our climate suitable for grain to make flour...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youllbemine

There's a few small mills about the country. There's one local to me in Co. Louth called Dunany Organic Flour, Irish Organic Mill are based in Co. Monaghan. Quick Google search throws up lots of mills. Funny how we actually do have our own mills but hear in media that we don't produce quality grain to make bread. Seems to me that we don't 'produce' unless it is deemed an exportable quantity.

Advertisement