Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Flying Donkey

Doesn’t look too far off what you’d expect the championship side will be, outside of Deegan likely being centre back and if/when TJ is back.

Good to see the Ballyhale contingent, Richie Hogan, Shane Walsh and Conor Delaney being back in contention. Makes the panel much stronger. A little concerned that we don’t have much cover for the full back line outside of Delaney as Darragh Corcoran and Matt Kenny are out and out half backs. Has Darren Mullen being brought in, does anyone know?

Great competition for the forwards if you can leave Donnelly and Eoin Cody on the bench. Any word on how long Tom Phelan is out?

I wonder if Buckley will be reprising his three quarter forward role (ie between the half and full forward lines) from the Dublin match (and part of the Laois match)? It seems to be giving him a new lease of life. His movement for the puckouts against Dublin was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Talk about overhyping a bunch of young fellas. Same talk last year for minor.

There was mitigating circumstances as to why 2021 minors didn’t perform to expectations. Centre back for the 2020 minors (and who would have played there for 2021 minors as well), Paddy Langton, was lost to injury in the Offaly match so they moved Gearoid Dunne from full forward to centre back. The forwards for 2021 minors really missed Dunne’s presence as he’s an explosive type of player who can win his own ball and bring others into it. They were over reliant on Ted Dunne to win the ball.

Well the 2021 minors had Alan Dunphy, Joe Fitzpatrick, Killian Doyle, Ted Dunne, Harry Shine, Ben Whitty and Anthony Ireland Wall on it who played for Kierans vs ASR so it’s not like these players don’t have talent. Getting to an AI schools final, winning Leinster minor, etc demonstrates there’s talent in the group. Winning AI minors aren’t the be all and end of all. For example from the 2008 AI winning team, Eoin Murphy, Conor Fogarty and Wally were the only players to make their mark for the seniors (Richie Doyle probably would have as well if injuries didn’t curtail his career).

Notwithstanding, we could do with Kilkenny u20s having a successful year just to give some confidence to lads coming through. Lyng has two recent minor teams which got to AI finals to work with so there can be no excuses about lack of talent. If they can overcome Offaly in the QFs, they’ll meet Galway once again in the SF (which has happened every year since Galway have entered the Leinster u21/u20 championship in 2018). As Galway have ended our minors AI chances every year since 2018, we could do with getting one over them if we can get by Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

The minors beat Galway in a challenge match in Banagher yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Darren Mullen is still recovering from an injury I'm told. Hopefully Richie Reid does himself justice and keeps Deegan out of the backs. As you said, it's more or less a full panel now. We should get a stern test from Waterford - their team and supporters are rightfully full of confidence.

• Advertisement

Our standards as a county continue to slip. Having lads on here talking up young players does not help. This happened with last year's minors and in the end they lost to Galway by 8 points who subsequently lost to Cork by 14 points. Cork and Galway are ahead of us underage for the last few years. Having such an easy route through leinster at minor does not help. Beat wexford and were into an all ireland semi final, possibly against Antrim. So people see Kilkenny in an All Ireland final and think everything is going great. Wouldn't it be better to have Galway in the leinster minor championship and some serious competition. Likewise with kierans. They have county minors on the bench, that's how strong they are and are competing with schools with alot less of a pick. Cork and Galway minor teams do not be so dominated by players from the one school. So people see kierans in an All Ireland schools final and think all must be good with underage hurling in kilkenny when in reality schools hurling is not the same as intercounty and they have come through a leinster championship with only 5 actual schools in it. Why not bring the Galway schools into the leinster schools championship and make it more competitive. It may mean less titles for kierans but in the long run it would be far better for kilkenny hurlings development of young players. So we have young players talked up on here and elsewhere about how good they are, they may get to the latter stages of the minor county championships but not win them and by the time they get to under 20 they invariably play Galway and the results there speak for themselves.

Hopefully Darren is not too far away from making a full recovery. Him and Richie Leahy have been cursed with injuries.

Interesting to see how Richie Reid goes. His distribution of the ball and positional sense is excellent. Similar worry to what I’d have with Niall Brassil at centre back is whether he’s physical enough for lads running down the middle and what would happen if he has to deal with a good ball winner like Jack Fagan or Aussie Gleeson under the puckout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Conor browne is back playing contact training after a lot of rehab.Leahy is a little behind him and Darren mullen is a good bit behind. Paddy deegan has a leg problem think hamstring but he'll be gone for a few weeks. It's a big day for Richie Reid tomor captaining kilkenny. Waterford have named a strong team also and with a big crowd and a fine day we'll have a better idea where we're at. Its good to see Shane Walsh on the squad tomor. Richie has also worked very hard to get to where he is I hope he isn't left rot on the bench but I my guess he'll see little gametime

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Ok, a few points of correction.

Ulster teams have not had entry automatic entry to AI minor semis for over 25 years and for the past 4 years have played in Leinster championship, so a winning Leinster team will either play Galway or the Munster runners up in a semi. Kilkenny minors have won the last 5 times they played Munster teams in an AI minor semi or final.

Of course Cork and Galway are likely to have a wider spread of schools represented at minor, they have dozens of secondary schools in their counties, we have a handful. It's more a demographic issue not a concentration one.

Even allowing for this most Galway minor teams will come from either Athenry, Gort or Loughrea schools. Limerick minor team will be more concentrated than KK/SKC with them absolutely stacked with ASR players.

There were 7 teams in the Leinster A schools this year not 5, and all 7 were good standard who would easily have held their own even against the better Munster teams.

Galway's issue with good minor teams not training on to u20 and senior is as bad as ours and significantly predates our fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I didnt mean to insult anyone in making my point about the Harty cup. Its an annual competition . When it's over the All Ireland is lacking abit in the media stakes and the local buzz isn't there. I think its more to do with the Harty veing so competitive rather than disrespect. It's abit funny that the 2 posters criticise my point even though I'm making the point after a Munster school has just won it. It's bizarre. A guy just said its like a guy getting turned down by a girl and claiming he didn't want her anyway. But Ard Scoil got the girl ...so the point has no real basis.

Flannans certainly liked to compete in the All Ireland and valued it but the Harty is better than the All Ireland series.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Not insulted at all but find it very hard to believe any team would rate a provincial title above an all Ireland..if that is genuinely a feeling it shows a lack of both belief and ambition..but to my eyes flannans , colemans and ardscoil ris have plenty interest in the all Ireland ..

A provincial win "is better than the All Ireland"?

FFS, that beats Banagher.

Question? Do you seriously believe there is a single person involved with ASR Limerick today who would swap their AI win over Kierans for a frigging Munster medal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

What your saying is the same as saying a Munster Senior Championship is more important than an All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I'm not sure why people are so 'touchy' discussing my point. It's similar to the schools rugby. You have the Leinster Schools cup and then the Ulster and Munster schools. No comparison in the media exposure or crowds. Leinster schools is different. I think the Harty in a hurling context is like the Leinster Schools in Rugby. It's the be all and end all. The All Ireland is an after thought. Again and not to Labour the point St Kierans wouldn't have contested 6 or 7 All Ireland finals in a row if they were in Munster. They would have had way stiffer competition.

And no the senior hurling All Ireland is on a different level than the Munster championship. That's Obvious. But there are counties like Clare in 1995 who's 'be all and end all' was Munster that year and the All Ireland was just the cherry on the cake. And there have been years where the Munster Championship has been better than the All Ireland series in Hurling. But no one would swap their All Ireland medal for a Munster one.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Perhaps the issue in recent years is that some Munster schools had very little else to celebrate other than a Munster title as they couldn't manage to win an All Ireland. To be fair to people with that attitude, how could they know any better? Ard Scoil Ris know what it's like to win Munster, to lose and, now, to win All Irelands. I can guess which title they'd choose as their favourite!

Have to agree with you. The leinster schools hurling championship this year had just two groups of three with one of the teams being Dublin south, so only 5 actual schools competing. Win one group match and you were into a semi final. I could be wrong on this but I think the junior schools championship has just 4 teams, so straight into 2 semi finals. And stiffer competition would be better for the development of young players in kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Good battle this today against Waterford. Waterford the better team for most of the first half but KK have fought their way back in to it. Few soft wides from Kk ain't helping.

Goal looked a bit soft from goalkeeper's perspective. Would like to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Waterford at nothing in the second half. Some awful wides and Dj Foran sent off half way through. They picked up a bit after that, but still never looked like pulling the game back.

Kilkenny played very well in second half and look like a cohesive team that know their strengths.

The Waterford goalie was very poor for Buckleys goal and could of saved the second one aswell with Billy hitting it on his weaker side. Despite all the doom and gloom it's being a good league for us and blanchfield and butler have being big finds. Kenny hasn't newing too bad either. Buckley and wally look like two players rejuvenated and one of eoin codys point was fantastic. Waterford still missing 4 or 5 important starters but this might dampen the talk about them a small bit and might suit them better in the long run. It's hard to know what teams want to do from here with the championship only a few weeks away. We're not to bad we've laois and westmeath first but the likes of cork and Waterford have much stiffer tests and a bad defeat in a final could do more harm than good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

This is certainly the place for doom and gloom. It was important to progress as we need the competitive games given our opposition in the championship. It was good to see Eoin Cody look something like his old self.

• Advertisement

Mikey Walsh said gave an interview with off the ball and he said the rumour is we have a home and away agreement with cork and it will be away in Cork next sunday

New players blanchfield and butler excellent again. It has being a really productive league for bringing in new talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good result and performance today. Blanchfield has been hugely impressive so far and Kenny had done a fine job in the midfield. Buckley and Walter Walsh have really come back to form. Eoin Cody scored some fantastic points when he came on. Defence was fairly solid after one or two shaky moments. Style of play is much better so far, very few aimless high passes, running game is certainly in development and looks a lot sharper. Still a number of diagonal passes where it's clear the player playing the pass clearly hasn't looked where he's hit it. But it's certainly an improvement on some of the play we've seen in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Good performance today. We could have had a good few more points on the board by half time but once we got to grips in our midfield and half forward line we pushed waterford back. Mullen missed a few points and looks a bit rusty. Eoin Cody was really up for it when he came in. Our backs hurled well and to be fair I thought mikey butler was close to deserving motm. I think he has improved over the last number of games and that's what the league is all about. Buckley and wally hurled well. Waterford missing a few but we were also. TJ and Deegan will improve things when they return. Kilkennys intensity was good and waterford found it hard to run their usual game.

All in all apart from the shaky start today we have to be happy with where we are after the last few matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

The two goals the difference between the teams. Wally and Padraig best of the forwards. Evan Cody's first touch and control was excellent. Our midfield was quiet, not sure we have any good options

Mikey Butler surprised me, he hadn't stood out for me when playing for OLG. Huw Lawlor was excellent again, David Blanchfield impressed also.

We won't set the world on fire, hopefully we can be competitive

A very good win and astonishing really when you consider how average most of the forwards played.

Keoghan was anonymous, Mullen again disappointed and Billy Ryan while busy didn’t hurl well at all, Alan Murphy was ok. Cian Kenny was also just ok, but he works like a dog and that will count big style with Cody

I also don’t know whether the praise for Buckley is merited, I thought his striking was poor (was the goal mishit?), but he has looked a bit better than recent years.

Otherwise, it was nearly all positive, Butler and Blanchfield were excellent. Huw Lawlor outstanding yet again. Walter Walsh yet another good outing. Richie Reid a bit shaky in first 15 mins but played a blinder thereafter, his use of ball is terrific. Padraig Walsh unleashed and liberated, scoring for fun.

On which point, you can never underestimate the value of an accurate shooter. For that reason, I think Donnelly and James Maher and Cody should be included next week. You have such confidence when they pull the trigger compared to a number of the starters today.

Ref had a very good game, pulled Gleeson twice for rugby style hand offs and nailed Waterford several times for throwing. I feel Limerick, Waterford and Cork will suffer most from the throwing clampdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Good stuff today in general but won't be getting too carried away. I think our biggest issue is our puck out at this point. A few of our defenders don't really know what to do with the ball when they receive it from Murphy and in particular in the last 20 minutes of games Murphy has a serious over reliance on going to Wally which has been the case for a few years now. It's also painfully slow at times.

Agree with the poster above about the diagonal ball being hit without looking as well.

Our inside forwards tend to make the same run a lot as well which ends up with a crowd of players in one corner (they also seem to make the run earlier than necessary as well which means they have to slow down to get the ball and struggle to get separated from their marker as a result).

On the positive side, Lawlor is top notch at full back and Butler was excellent on Hutchinson which was his biggest test to date. I'm a huge Blanchfield fan. Good in the air, superb at getting a flick in on a forward and more to the point has a real understanding of how the short passing game needs to work. Constantly looking to move forward and look for a return pass where a few of our lads tend to go sideways. Cody was excellent when he came on. His touch in front of the Kilkenny subs while holding off the defender was brilliant in comparison to some of our forwards who really struggled to win that initial ball.

Huge test ahead against Cork now.

"A few of our defenders don't really know what to do with the ball when they receive it from Murphy"

Practice makes perfect. We're clearly not practising the short pucks enough. It's so frustrating watching the players give their all despite the lack of a decent modern game plan. Heart, work rate and skill will only get you so far. A well constructed game plan is critical. The manager owes it to the players to up the stakes now or else!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Big difference and I'm open to correction is that there is no All Ireland schools in rugby, to win a provincial schools is the maximum ambition so that's why its the be all and end all, hurling and football schools obviously differen with all ireland series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I don't see the big deal about the Harty Cup / Croke Cup debate. Admittedly it's 15 years ago but my friends in college always said the same thing as well about the Harty Cup. That was the target. It was the most visible tournament for them and you were measuring yourself up against those around you. I'm sure at the time Flannans and Colmans targeted the AI because they were the best teams in Munster but for individual schools the Harty Cup was the only one they could dream of. And whether we like to admit it or not, our success in Leinster over the years has conditioned us as a county to measure ourselves against those outside Leinster rather than within it.

Put it this way. Outside of Ballyhale what is the target for any senior club in Kilkenny? Are they trying to win a county title or are they looking at the All Ireland club title? Ballyhale will target an AI because their success within Kilkenny recently makes that the ultimate goal. For everyone else, the All Ireland is an after thought as the ultimate goal, the one they talk about as a group, is to become county champions.

Advertisement