Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Neither “lack of self awareness” or “victim complex” are insults actually. They pretty accurately describe your post.

There is no witch hunt. If you’re anti Biden, it doesn’t make you pro Trump. But your criticism of Biden is spurious at best.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,946 ✭✭✭✭JRant

What are you blathering on about?

I made a joke and you were part of a mini pile on to defend the good Jen's name. Here's a top tip for you, if someone makes a joke it doesn't automatically make them your enemy.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was? Where did I say something in order to defend "Jen?"

You complain about being generalized, while doing the work yourself to generalize "most posters here."

You misunderstand, what expectation do you have on someone else to constantly be changing their mind left and right? We're talking about being consistent, or explaining why we aren't.

Fixation on Pelosi's age is oversized and fails to pass muster in full view of Congressional realities: Rep. Don Young died this week while running for his 26th term in office. He was 88 years old, 7 years older than Pelosi, and no Republican ever raised one idle lily f*ck about the man's age, they just kept voting him in, hurah hurah hurah. If someone really is more concerned with the "gerontocracy" than they are with Nancy Pelosi, then they need to stop holding up Nancy Pelosi as their tent pole, and use Diane Feinstein, or Chuck Grassley, or Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Better yet, don't McBlame any names at all, since there's a bunch of politically elected and appointed officials across the spectrum in these age ranges being raised as a concern.

Fixation on the "performance" of VPs is bullshit. What do VPs produce? Really though. Without having to have a good McGoogle for it, I couldn't even tell you what each VP has 'accomplished' in office, other than taking over the Presidency for surgery or something. The role of the VP is being comically overblown in increasingly absurd ways to avoid discussing her gender or race imho. Nobody gave a **** about Pence's approval rating either, or Biden's when he was VP, they showed up to stupid photo ops, did stupid things, and went to go eat and **** on the dole while they played on-call backup dancer for 4 year terms. Media always made fun of them, the end.

• Advertisement

Ah. You're playing this game. Thanks but no thanks. You can keep your silly games. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Gaslighting, is it? Couldn't find your evidence, the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I guess he doesnt have 4 hours and 27 posts to play the game as you call it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The article you posted wasn't a treatise on the issues of "Gerontocracy" though , it was a hit piece on Pelosi , nothing more nothing less.

There is absolutely a conversation to be had about the age profile of the US Government - That applies across the board , not just for Pelosi.

You had Don Young from Alaska who died in recent days , who had been in congress since the Nixon administration!!!!

If you look at the 10 oldest members of the Senate and House you see the following.

Senate

Dianne Feinstein, Democratic 87

Chuck Grassley, Republican 87

Richard Shelby, Republican 86

Jim Inhofe, Republican 86

Patrick Leahy, Democratic 80

Bernie Sanders, Independent 79

Mitch McConnell, Republican 78

Jim Risch, Republican 77

Ben Cardin, Democratic 77

Angus King, Independent 76

House

Don Young - GOP , 87

Eddie Bernice - Dem , 85

Alcee Hastings - Dem , 84

Grace Napolitano - Dem , 84

Bill Pascrell - Dem , 84

Hal Rogers - Dem , 83

Maxine Waters - Dem , 82

Steny Hoyer - Dem , 81

Nancy Pelosi - Dem, 80

Jim Clyburn - Dem , 80

Both parties seem to have a very similar age profile in the Senate , while in the House , the top ten is dominated by the Democrats. Pelosi just about makes the Top ten by the way.

26 of the 100 Senators are over the age of 70 compared to 76 out of the 433 (17%) in the House.

There should either be term limits or an enforced retirement age across the board.

But the Douglas Murray article talked about none of that , it was just a list of all the reasons he hates Pelosi - Opinions he's entitled to , but don't try to tell me that it was anything more than just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

That opinion piece by Murray was creepy misogynism is all. Laughable that it got published, frankly.

Agree on retirement ages for Congress and Senate. Maybe some sort of term limits, too.

Fantastic, another mind reader found on Boards.ie. with a side order of passive aggression. Keep fighting the good fight. Joe and Jen need you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Why are you here, apart from to derail the thread with nonsense?

Ironic post to be making. When you find that evidence do let me know. Hitchens razor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Livestream of SCOTUS Confirmation for Jackson .... day one.... of four.

Jackson would have one of the most seasoned careers on the bench, if confirmed.

Here's the 'Gerontrocrat' in charge of trying to dissuade the confirmation of Jackson.

87 years old, he's been a GOP elected official since oh about 1959, in the Idaho Statehouse. He made it to the House of Representatives in 1975, and the Senate in 1951.

Here he is as Senator in the Reagan Admin, before the end of the Cold War, 1981.

You can read more bios here

The tweet thread above highlights Grassley has been in public office for over 1/4 of the USA's constitutional existence. This is true: (2022-1959)/244 = 25.8%

GOP seems to be using a lot of its key opening time to relitigate old sour grapes (rich, given Garland).

Can't shake the Django Unchained vibes Graham exudes in his opening speech, either. Complains about political money ('speech') spent on Jackson's nomination, didnt GAF about Kavanaugh's debts being paid off by who, exactly? He actually gets himself very worked up, and keeps slapping his desk, reminiscent of the Holy Cow Indignation routine Jim Jordan does.

While GOP spends their time trying to make the confirmation about a retaliation over Kavanaugh's hearing etc. we keep getting fun facts from the Dems - like the fact she was already confirmed by the Senate 3 times:

Voice vote, 2/11/2010 https://www.congress.gov/nomination/111th-congress/802

Voice vote, 3/23/2013 https://www.congress.gov/nomination/113th-congress/18

53-44 by recorded vote, 6/4/2021 https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_votes/vote1171/vote_117_1_00231.htm#top

Post edited by Overheal on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Its demented for sure. I'l cut him a small bit of slack though at least he can turn around and say "the seat is in trouble if I retire" as the Dems might have a chance if he does not run.

I still can't understand why though Feinstein ran in 2018 as its the safest senate seat going, their is genuinely 0.000001% of a chance of the GOP winning that in the next few decades . She was 86 at the time ffs.

Their has been some talk from both parties about term limits e.g Cruz and AOC and some others are in agreement, but looking at those who rule such as Pelosi, Mc Connell its a non runner.

Betting wise if we trust the odds the 2024 election will be contested between an 82 year old Biden and a 78 year old Trump. Not a serious country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Marsha Blackburn throwing everything at Judge Jackson in her opening statement: Radical Left, Pedophiles, Critical Race Theory, corrupting kids and then congratulates her on her nomination 😂

I'm still over an hour behind, even with the recess skip.

This man tried to smear OSHA as a "relatively obscure agency designed to regulate things like ladder safety on construction sites"

Even the conservative, hard working Americans listening at home or from work must be wondering "the f*ck is he playing at?"

Edit: Sen. Cotton (R-AK)

His broad remarks are demagoguery and fearmongering, Kids are scared of CRT, damn liberal judges giving equal access to due process for presumed-criminals, etc.

edit 2: Sasse has never had a working class job in his life, apparently

I guess OSHA feels relatively obscure if the least safe thing you do at the law firm is leave the parking lot at night.

Sen. Kennedy drags the entire room down by not preparing any written remarks, trying to adlib this - pretty decently, but it's off beat with the rest of this hearing. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

People born in 1959 would be at retirement age in a couple of years. That is when this guy started his political career.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Political jobs in 8 different decades. That's just crazy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That’s bizarre. I worked for a US company for 18 years so I had to comply with OSHA regulations. OSHA are actually brilliant at what they do, particularly on Electrical safety. Years ahead of the regulators in Europe.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The logic on display here is puzzling, unless is point is to say, "My colleagues in the oil industry, Akshually, should be sitting on at least 13,000 permits, not 9,000! End this tyranny and let my clients in the oil sector hoard even more leases and natural resources." ?

"Send word to Geidi Prime to begin selling our spice reserves. But slowly. We don't want the price to fall."

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

Enough of this trump v Bidem who caredls they all get Rich and we dont.

We are all Irish men we should stick together not be so divided about politics thousands of miles away.

What did you think of Dune?

The first one was a cinematic masterpiece at times effects and musically. It just clicked in a refreshing way so many times.

It is really building up to a monster second movie.

I haven't read the books yet so I just hope they get the sequel(s) right as I see so much potential that I have not seen since lord of the rings despite the two worlds being completely different but that's how high I rate this Dune universe.

• Advertisement

"We are all Irish men we should stick together not be so divided about politics thousands of miles away."

This is a poor assumption.

Read the books, they're great. So are the other films/adaptations

Advertisement