Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Western = wealthy

large parts of spain and portugal are much closer to Poland than Dublin in terms of wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

The spare stock is all in the wrong places, west of Ireland and dead rural towns instead the major cities and their commuter belts where the demand is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

And the stock in demand goes to the poor mammies with no baby daddies who have never worked!

Proper order! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,309 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

are those houses truly habitable, theres physically fine vacant houses vacant near me, and they most certainly aint habitable? yes many people are hoarding land and property, polices have been favoring this type of behavior, including taxation....

there is not plenty of stock in the country, we need to be building 30k+ units per year, for the foreseeable, in order to keep up with demand, these figures come from respected commentators and analyst's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭PommieBast

From my time looking at property pre-Covid a significant portion of the stock should really be condemned and replaced. Not necessarily uninhabitable but certainly uneconomic to bring up to whatever the notional expected standards are these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

The other side of that is an excess of demand, but we're not allowed to talk about that side of the coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

David McWilliams with a timely reminder in the IT today how our economic problems began before the Russia Ukraine crisis as people are already starting to forget that we had high official inflation pre-crisis from phenomenal government spending during covid and even before covid the cost of living we all felt was rising even if the CPI gaslighted us, in particular with respect to housing costs that are astronomical and rising at a frighteningly unsustainable velocity. And he also mentions again how this is entirely a manufactured housing crisis.

The message is just not hitting home to our politicians that our economy is literally teetering on the brink because of the housing crisis; all of the new jobs being announced quite simply won't happen as there is practically nothing at all for these workers to rent. And this is not hyperbolic. The need to put the housing crisis on par with COVID is not an exaggeration and it is a race against time or else we'll be caught with our pants down when the tide shifts.

Edit: what I mean by the tide shifting is that the corporate tax boat will pull away a little or a lot and then we won't have that GDP inflating cash cow to enable us take loans from the capital markets and then we will be stuck with a bloated public expenditure which stifles investment in areas such as education, infrastructure, housing, childcare - all of these areas of course need cash thrown at them right now even if that cash amounted to the billions upon billions borrowed during covid, investment in these areas is essential.

Ireland is the least densely populated country in western Europe with amongst the highest land prices. This makes no sense and reflects the artificial inflation of land prices, which enriches landowners and rewards land hoarding. Add to this urban dereliction, itself the result of not encouraging the use of land but encouraging wasteful accumulation not productive application.

Post edited by Amadan Dubh on

At this stage, I have utterly no hope that the "crisis" can be resolved by manual intervention. It is not a crisis, it the result of deliberate, malicious interference in the free market backed up by shocking levels of incompetence or simple indifference. The people who created this are the ones still steering the ship today, so we may assume that short of some sort of Road to Damascus moment that affects every senior civil servant and politician in Ireland simultaneously, nothing will be changing. Likely, there's some economic iceberg sitting out there that Ireland is steaming towards, and when the collision comes, it will be a disaster.

For my own part, there is an element of reaping what one sows to all of this. For decades now, the Irish electorate has voted in a devilish mixture of mad lefties, globalists and charlatans into power whilst the civil service ballooned with legions of the same. Even if a radical party got into power, it would make no difference as the entire state apparatus is set up simply to perpetuate what's been happening here for years. It was all hunky dory back in the 00s when people were able to take five holidays a year, have multiple cars and watch their "property investments" rise in value. However, these days, we're paying for the Faustian pact that was globalism, and the price is the future of people who were with not born or were too young to play any part in creating this.

Alea iacta est.

Post edited by RichardAnd on

Exactly the price is being paid by the good time seeking immigrants who are lured in to the country with good jobs only to find out they'll never get a foothold here to settle and raise a family as they're just being used for their PRSI and corporate tax paying employers who need to justify their tax presence here. As well as those young enough to not have had a part in the mania pre-08. But this is where the clash is going to happen; further decay of the middle classes or house prices and rents correct materially with supply increasing significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭jj880

You should go eat a Hang Sengwich while you can still afford it. Apologies I forgot... its different this time.

Planning is widely cited as a reason for the Intel decision to not further expand in Ireland. The decision to build its megaplant in Germany has been widely acknowledged as a massive blow to Ireland Inc and its future expansion plans in the country.

While the IDA have made statements about the housing situation and how our "competitiveness" is a big threat to continued high levels of FDI, I personally think the housing situation is a big reason that Intel did not choose Ireland for its big expansion.

As far back as 2016, Intel spoke of a rental crisis in Cork which would impact future growth there. Fast forward 6 years and the rental crisis is catastrophic by comparison to 2016 when it was already bad. I don't think Intel will be the last to hit pause on massive investment in Ireland, particularly with companies who don't pay their employees €100k+ on average and it is clear that supporting the current levels of house prices and rents is to directly say no to FDI funded jobs into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭JDigweed

Intel workers are being put up in hotel rooms of local towns due to lack of accommodation. I'm not surprised they are scaling back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Why don't intel hirer a builder to construct accommodation like Guinness? If they really wanted, I'm sure they could find a solution.

This is interesting.

Does this mean that the era of pre sold apartments is coming to a close. Really interesting writing in SBP on the abundance of unaffordable 1/2 bed apartments last weekend.

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

why should intel & other companies be forced to solve irish states mismanagement of housing and other resources when they can very simply vote with their feet and go elsewhere ... which some are now starting to do .. its called national economic competitiveness and we simply dont have it anymore....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭wassie

In terms of the the decision of building a new fab, this would have been a factor but not the main one. Had the Oranmore site been seriously in the running, the Galway planning scheme could have been amended to accommodate such a large scale development given the time frames involved. Also the Govt can always legislate for a special development zone if they were serious about getting this project, not only for the development itself, but all the supporting infrastructure including housing.

I'm reliably informed that our energy infrastructure and access to a reliable electricity supply in the long term was the biggest concern amongst other things.

This was also a highly sough after project and the governments of rival countries in the running (Germany, Italy, Poland & Spain) offered significant incentives to attract the new fab. The Irish Govt may have really missed an opportunity here, but they may have also perhaps been reliably informed that they were never really in the hunt.

It's been a while but as I understand it these are new build apartments being offered for sale to the proletariat instead of being bulk bought for the rental market - is that accurate? I think it's something like 90% of new build apartments don't make it to the private market for individuals to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

There was a development somewhere round maynooth that was going to be sold for entirely sold for rentals last year.

There was loud political and media mayhem over it. Howling outrage for a fortnight at least. The full works on social media.

I knew at the time that a lot of rentals would be needed for the latest intel project so the whole thing left open mouthed at the stupidity of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Elessar

Seems so but this is a high end development in an expensive area - only for the wealthy. AFAIK high end units are more likely to be offered for sale - don't expect to be seeing new build apartments in more affordable areas being put up for sale to the plebs.

Interesting SBP article today which points to the new density requirements forcing builders to build apartments where there is no demand for them, in urban areas. And costs being so high that nobody would buy them anyway, well except the REITs. Many approved apartment projects may not now go ahead as they are no longer financially viable, again due to rising costs:

“What we're seeing now is that apartment schemes that were granted planning permission where the viability was evident are being built. But it’s getting difficult to see how future developments are viable,” he said.

“Even for those who are active at the moment construction cost inflation is rife, and we don't know where that's going to go in the next six months. What we do know is that what was marginally viable last year is not viable any more. Steel has gone up nearly 60 per cent in some cases in the last couple of months alone, for example.”

More than 81,000 apartments have been granted planning permission in recent years, according to an analysis by EY Economic Advisory. Only one in five of those apartments have been built or commenced. Sean Reilly said buying sites with planning permission was not commercially viable for his business because the projects would barely turn a profit.

“The high density stuff in the suburbs is too expensive to build. To make even the smallest margin, 3 per cent of the home price, is difficult. Density rules mean you're forced to build apartments people don't want,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Developers will access funds wherever they can. With our "left leaning" culture of generous welfare State, refusal to evict non paying mortgage holders, non paying renters both private and social.

The States refusal to deal with problem social tenants and the areas that are socially destroyed by the minority of individuals. What/how exactly do you suggest we do to resolve or at least to improve the housing situation.

If society thought the recent past was hard economicly (especially last two years and covid) we are all in for a world of tough times over the next three to fives years of severe austerity/reduced spending and increased taxes.

• Advertisement

The housing crisis, or whatever we want to call it will not be resolved through manual intervention until we can be honest about what's happening. The only allowed solution for discussion is "BUILD, BUILD, BUILD!". What about social housing? What about uncontrolled immigration? What about pension funds? With the exception of some talk of investment fuds, these are proscribed topics, and heaven help anyone who tries to bring them up when the Twitter harpies descend.

Until I hear the following words stated as a policy, I have zero faith that the state even wants to change anything: "Our goal is to make houses cost less."

I agree if supply increases price decreases. This is economics 101. But it won't happen I am not political but due to bad political decisions of the past we are doomed to make more in the future.

Because of the housing crisis Sinn Fein are forcing the Govts hand as they fear Sinn Fein and their main topic of housing. The Govt will promise "housing for all" ironically to the cost of those supplying the income financing the "housing for all plan".

The property market should be allowed find its equilibrium and those unable/unwilling to house themselves should not be part of the "market" rather should be housed in State built and State owned property.

It is sad to say I fear this will never happen. I hope I am proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LJ12345

‘Punitive’ LPT for vacant property and possibly backdated. The fact that revenue will be engaged in getting this tax gives me some hope that it will make a difference to bringing back unoccupied homes into the system.

https://news.sky.com/story/irish-housing-crisis-new-vacant-property-tax-to-be-introduced-as-soon-as-possible-and-has-to-be-punitive-says-govt-12570896Irish housing crisis: New vacant property tax to be introduced 'as soon as possible' and 'has to be punitive', says govt

blob:https://www.boards.ie/8bb7acf3-6a23-4989-a3ce-f5bee7949cbe There was an error displaying this embed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

It’s good to see it being introduced but I am sceptical that it will work….bet you their will be to many loopholes for it to be effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Amazing how 1 sector is allowed to choke the whole economy even after breaking the country in recent history

We deserve everything that is coming, even that sector itself should realise that they are on a kamikaze path

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

More houses won't necessarily reduce prices, its an excess of supply that might reduce prices a bit, we are still way off building enough houses to meet the demand that is there at the moment so even if we built 300% more houses in the right places this year and next year that isn't going to reduce prices any time soon.

Honestly with material costs skyrocketing new houses are going to keep getting more expensive and they will keep 2nd hand prices up too as people who can't afford the new 3 bed semi that went from 310 to 340 will have to buy 2nd hand.

We need to approach this situation from a number of angles in my opinion.

Build one bed properties to encourage downsizing. I emphasise the word encourage.

Encourage small landlords to remain in the rental market until the situation improves.

Better utilise the properties we have. Reduce regulations for properties to a requirement for them to be habitual (not to the current high standards demanded in the rental sector).

Why have the capital expense of water, power and infrastructure when these already exist in existing under utilised stock.

I feel if owners of properties that are vacant for whatever reason are "forced" to act in a particular way then it may not have the desired effect.

The fixing of the property sector will take time if a plan is agreed and actually followed through. The constant changing of plans is damaging the sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

While I'm not familiar with the chip manufacturing business - that's a damning indictment of absolute governmental mismanagement if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LJ12345

Based on pre 2007/2008, excess supply might not be enough to reduce prices across the board, less desirable houses possibly but not those that are desirable... we all know it just takes 2 bidders to add 100k onto the price of a house. The main thing that will reduce prices overall is reduced capacity to borrow or banking restrictions from a recession which isn’t desirable but fairly likely in the next few years and then we have to worry that investment funds will swoop in with cash unless they’ve been burned too badly. The government needs to be more restrictive with these funds, they’re far too active.

Yes, materials are skyrocketing, but so many changes can happen globally which can affect these prices and we also might get to a point that everything is so expensive nobody buys, prices come down... There’s so many scenarios just now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Whenever anyone talks about recession now they expect it to be as bad as 08 with banks collapsing but that is highly unlikely to happen. If the exact same scenario played out as 08 the banks wouldn’t collapse today or need to be bailed out by the government.

There have been plenty of recession in Ireland where property values haven’t fallen so it’s not guaranteed.

Advertisement