Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's the same as asking why other countries should send their sons and daughters to die in Ireland because we haven't been bothered paying for the equipment for out defense forces to defend us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭jackboy

Very hard for them to surrender. How could they have any confidence that the Russians would not just execute them.

The part of the world that is sanctioning them is enough to do huge damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Reagan,Bush,Clinton, Bush Jr., Obama, Trump… would have any of the previous American presidents intervened with a more severe military approach ?

I find it horrible that the world is standing on the sidelines while people are being slaughtered/ raped and having their homes taken away from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Yep. My guess is they will try and bleed the Russian army as much as possible. Every inch will cost them men and materiel. If they have bunkers, I'd stay in them during the worst of the artillery, then come out, hit, and back into the bunkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They have held them off for 8 years so far and despite being outmanned and out gunned ,they fought like lions and nobody could fault them at this stage if they pulled out , but this is a sign of desparation on Russias behalf ,they flattened the area and still haven't beaten the Ukrainian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Awww *blushes

Seriously though, my only "advantage" is that I'm German myself, meaning that I can easily read a lot of the primary literature and know a lot of the subconscious subtext that German people would know but that would remain alien to Irish, American or other "foreigners" for lack of a better word that haven't lived in German society for at least the better part of a decade. I'm not a military man though, just an interested amateur, so I always advise anyone to double-check if you're having doubts.

One more thing that might add to the logistical stress for the Bundeswehr Germany is currently in the process of standing up roughly 15,000 soldiers for the German contribution to the NATO Response Force. The requirement for these units is to be fully equipped for war, which means that the number of available weapons systems and infantry weapons, such as Stinger missiles or the aforementioned Panzerfaust 3 is further reduced. Interestingly, Germany has also, for the first time in its post-war history, triggered what it calls "National Alert Measures" that include the prioritisation of military traffic on roads, railways, waterways and airports. At the same time, all of the webcams that usually show traffic on Germany's Autobahn network were turned off for security reasons. So, there are things happening in Germany that a lot of people outside the country might not have on their radar.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Here is Russian logic in the invasion of Ukraine

1.Russia didnt attack Ukraine,but Ukraine must stop defending itself

2.A special operation is not war,but economic sanctions is

3.Conscripts was not sent to Ukraine,but many was killed,captured or surrended in Ukraine

4.The Special operations are preceeding according to plan,but there are no resitance in Ukraine,but 20 days in Russia only captured

Kherson and have surrounded Mariupol.

5.The Maternity hospital was bombed because nazis was sitting there dressed as pregnant women

6.All Ukrianian planes was destroyed,but they managed to bomb Belarus 2 weeks later.

7.You are allowed to wish death to all Ukrainans on Russian tv,but on facebook its extremism.

8.Russian troops are not fighting civilians,but nazis,all 40 million of them

This is what Russians are being fed with in Russian propaganda on a daily basis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Russia says it has set a 5am deadline to surrender Mariupol

Ominous words - what are they planning?

A terrible humanitarian catastrophe has developed

Yes caused by you!

The Mariupol authorities now have the opportunity to make a choice and go over to the side of the people, otherwise the military tribunal that awaits them is just a little that they deserve for their terrible crimes, which the Russian side is very carefully documenting

I think you have this the wrong way round comrade

Not enough damage. Putin is already readying his population for the hardships ahead, positioning it as an unfair and unjustified economic war by the west, that has to be resisted. And half the population will buy that narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

?

NATO got directly (and rightly) involved in Kosovo and in the skies over Serbia on the pretext of human rights and avoiding a repeat of the early/mid 90s atrocities. You'll have many political cranks to this day throwing their toys out of the pram saying NATO overstepped their mark there. NATO defanged Milosevic's Serbian war-crime machine once and for all. That was a job well done and all the Chinese and Russian cries into to the universe doesn't move me one bit.

Similarly, the Afghanistan intervention was NATO-led for the longest time. The amount of NATO blood and treasure expended there was immense - and no matter what people say, coalition forces improved the lives of millions there. Was that all self-serving?

It's contradictory because you'll doubtless frame the above as self-interested action and decry what they don't do as standing on the sidelines provoking a fight (???).

Make up your mind, what do you want out of NATO? Do you want them to get stuck in full-on in Ukraine with troops on the ground and jets in the air over Ukraine? Would you rather it doesn't exist? What's the angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

That reply deserves more than just a 👍

Thanks for taking the time for writing such an informed response.

As greenpilot, (who's also insightful) says, it's a pleasure to read something when there is knowledge behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

For some of the military experts here I wonder now that Russia has used hypersonic missiles and thermobaric bombs along with the more traditional munitions what has it got left in it's arsenal that it has not yet used (nuclear aside).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Occupation authorities in Crimea confirm death of deputy commander of the Russian Black Sea Fleet Andrey Paliy

commanders and generals are falling like flies

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

NATO troops or planes or tanks on ground ie direct intervention could just lead to ‘the bomb 💣’ being used…..but shur it’s worth i.e playing a game of bluff with the homo (Sapian) in the Kremlin…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Including Israel. Scummy nation, doubt even Zelensky's powerful speech today will move them to act

Ukrainian civilians falling an awful lot faster. People constantly lose sight of the bigger picture due to these minor Ukrainian victories

• Advertisement

Not an expert, but they have enough artillery to last for years and will be making more. Given that they don't care too much about accuracy, the damage they'll do with this is sufficient. I don't think they have much more other than using more air and naval powers as well as drones. They haven't deployed those assets as much, either because they're not up to it or for whatever reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

People need to realise a lot of modern military technology requires a fair bit of training.

That is why the only aircraft you can give Ukraine are ones that their pilots know how to operate.

That means it has to be Soviet/Warsaw Pact kit: Migs, Sukhoi, Mils or Czech Aeros.

It aint like the old days where pilots got a few hours training in a new aircraft and wayhay off you go.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This is an extremely delicate one for Israel. About 15% of its population is Russian speaking with very large Ukrainian and Russian origin minorities.

Its coalition government -as always- is incredibly fragile, with Russian-speaking Jews being a critical constituency for the more conservative parts of the Frankenstein government they have cobbled together.

It really isn't a sign of desperation. It's a sign they have the city by the throat and are giving an option: surrender or die.

Yes, Biden put an end to that deal of sending them MiGs after he flip-flopped 20 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

They half measure everything. Get involved in Kosovo but allow a genocide to happen. Get involved in Iraq, under false pretences to pretend they were doing something about 9/11, half ass it and as a result had a fair hand in bringing ISIS into being. Going into afghanistan, promising a new world and democracy, then dropping them in the sh1t and for good measure leaving the documents which identified those who helped them during their stay. Yes I'm sure those Afghans were delighted to be promised salvation then thrown to the wolves in a matter of days. Getting crushed under or falling off planes they clung onto in desperation to escape.

And once again they are half assing it in Ukraine, we'll help you but not the way you want to be helped and have begged us to help. No we'll sit here with weapons that make the Russians look like they just came out of a cave but you can't have those as they're "offensive" weapons. We can only give you defensive weapons. Its the greatest crock of sh1t I've heard in a while and I've watched the States go through a Trump presidency and Covid so thats some achievement.

If they want to say they believe in something and stand for something then do so. Stop pretending you believe and stand for it because right now, no more than Putin, all I see is propoganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Anyone know if Baerbock and Karlov had any old meetings the past few months ?

Speaking of which I can't ever see any cocktails being named after Karlov.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭redarmy

A chilling new threat. Russia's Defense Ministry says Ukraine has until 5am on March 21 to surrender the besieged city of Mariupol, adding it'll let residents and troops who lay down arms leave. Anyone left behind "with the bandits" will "face a military tribunal." via RIA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement