Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Postlewaite and Osborne will be fighting it out for the Ireland jersey soon. With Ringrose having such an injury plagued career, it could well be these boys in situ in about 4 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Haha...let's wait and see if Postlewaite gets in the Ulster team first. I reckon he could end up on the wing to be honest.

Hopefully he goes to SA and gets a run out there.

I wouldn't mind seeing McCloskey and Hume in the centres Lowry at 15 and Baloucoune and Postlewaite on the wings in one of the matches.

By the way, on Osborne, I saw him in the flesh for the first time last weekend and I thought he was a class act in terrible conditions. Again, how does he break into the Leinster side?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Hume would have something to say about that scenario. Postlewaite impressed me the most out of our bunch though, he was always a threat with the ball in hand and he has soft hands for someone his size. Him, Hume, Moore and Carson all favoured the 13 jersey coming through I think, so I'm curious about who the coaches will try and move to 12 in the long-term.

Postlewaite has the size to be effective in heavy traffic at 12, but I like Moore's footballing ability at 12. Hume could play either comfortably enough, but he is on fire at 13 at the moment so I'd have thought they'd keep him there.

Then there's Addison and Marshall!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

And Curtis. And Moxham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Hume is the best defender as well, so I think he's hard to move from 15.

I'm always hoping for good news regarding Marshall and Addison but the injuries will take a toll on them eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Postlethwaite looks outstanding. Huge lad, great footballer and incredibly physical on both sides of the ball. I think they'll try him at 12. Could be McCloskey's long-term replacement. But big Stu probably has a few years good rugby left in him. I'd love to see what Postlethwaite and Hume could do together, they could be outstanding.

I must say I liked the look of Moore at 15. He wasn't perfect, but he had some lovely touches and has the skill set I think to be an excellent 15. The only problem is Lowry has been brilliant and has the 15 shirt nailed down.

And there's McIlroy who I think is a class player, but he can play on the wing too. But then what happens when Stockdale comes back?

Ulster really have an embarrassment of riches in the backs. Good selection headache to have, trying to fit all these guys in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Are Ulster gonna send a full strength squad to South Africa? Seems like it's needed if they want any more then a couple of points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭launish116

Indeed, few scalps have been taken over the last two weekends.

Was there ever a medical update? Vermuelen etc?

In the photos, I've seen Jordi, Marty Moore, Stewart Moore, Lyttle, McIlroy, Hume, Lowry, Burns, Cooney, Timoney, the Rea bros, Andy Warwick, Tom Stewart and - I think - Herring. So it should be a decently strong squad.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think it'll be pretty much the full compliment or close to it.

None of our players played for Ireland enough to warrant being left at home to be honest. Even Henderson should be there IMO.

Fully loaded team indeed:

The Ulster Rugby squad (below) travelled to Cape Town yesterday ahead of the upcoming URC games against the DHL Stormers and the Vodacom Bulls.

Forwards: Alan O’Connor, Andy Warwick, Bradley Roberts, Callum Reid, Duane Vermeulen, Eric O’Sullivan, Gareth Milasinovich, Greg Jones, Iain Henderson, Jordi Murphy, Kieran Treadwell, Marcus Rea, Marty Moore, Matty Rea, Mick Kearney, Nick Timoney, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Tom Stewart.

Backs: Ben Moxham, Billy Burns, Craig Gilroy, Dave Shanahan, Ethan McIlroy, Ian Madigan, James Hume, John Cooney, Luke Marshall, Michael Lowry, Nathan Doak, Rob Lyttle, Stewart Moore, Stuart McCloskey.

Sam Carter was unavailable to travel because of recent COVID-19 infection.

Luke Marshall has reintegrated into full team training and is available for selection again following the knee injury he sustained in November 2020.

Tom O’Toole has also reintegrated into full team training following the hamstring injury he suffered four weeks ago.

Squad updates in association with The Ulster Independent Clinic.

I think we are literally only missing Addison, Baloucoune and Stockdale of our best 23.

Delighted to see Marshall back.

Bobby B must be injured or something, strange that he's not listed unless it's a mistake

No McCann either

No Izzy

Good to see Kearney retained.

That's a good outfit going to S.A it's going to be tough dealing with the heat and altitude.

Luke Marshall back is fantastic. He's quality and like Addison has had a bad injury plagued run.

Delighted to see Kearney going too! Has he been re signed?

I can't see Kearney having been re-signed given we've the 26 year old coming in from France. Henderson, O'Connor, Carter, Treadwell, new guy, Izzy, Sheridan

It's the one position where we are maybe lacking a bit at Academy level. Although as I said last week that Campbell second row in the Schools Cup Final looked a serious player.

• Advertisement

There's Sheridan! Fine prospect and certainly McNamee could be a good prospect. Glasgow came out of nowhere to make the u20's squad! Who knows, he could progress if given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Charlie Irvine and Joe Hopes look quality prospects.

Got to say I had high hopes of Sheridan also, if even pushed to blindside. He was very good at u20. Had hoped he would of sneaked some senior game time this season.

(15-9) Mike Lowry, Craig Gilroy, Stewart Moore, Stuart McCloskey, Rob Lyttle, Billy Burns, John Cooney;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Kieran Treadwell, Greg Jones, Marcus Rea, Duane Vermeulen.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Callum Reid, Gareth Milasinovich, Mick Kearney, Jordi Murphy, David Shanahan, Luke Marshall, Ethan McIlroy.

Strong team, great to see Marshall back!

Jordi Murphy back too

A lot to like about that team.

Marshall back.

EOS at loosehead with Reid as back-up.

Tom Stewart on bench.

Good to see Stewart coming on! Luke back too! I hope Ulster win this going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Doak injured or just rested?

Theres a big opportunity here for Eric O'Sullivan to rediscover his form over the next few weeks and put himself in the shop window for the NZ tour given Ireland's loosehead situation. Hopefully he takes it.

long afternoon head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This is going to turn into a hammering if Ulster don't start winning collisions.

The first Stormers try was just a great counterattack from them. But the second one was the Stormers pushing the Ulster defensive line back in every phase.

Getting killed at the breakdown too.

Advertisement