Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia Today

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭getoutadodge

Mackay's the Madness of Crowds soon to be memoryholed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

Both sides have enough of their populaces convinced they are seeing or reading more truth.

like many here convinced the other side is much worse.

Evidence does not credibly suggest so!

For example

1st Gulf war

300 babies removed from incubators and murdered by Iraqi troops.

25 mins in

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

How False Testimony and a Massive U.S. Propaganda Machine Bolstered George H.W. Bush’s War on Iraq

Russia Today is selective news / propaganda.

But so is most of what you watch, supposed news that has you convinced of something you have not actually witnessed! like enough of the Russians you just want to, need to believe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭liamtech

Its Official: Ofcom has revoked RT's license in the UK

Obviously it had previously been removed from most TV delivery services - but the removal of its license is the final nail in the coffin.

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Western media will make mistakes, especially in a 'first to get the news' kinda way. This is completely different to the likes of RT which is specifically tasked with peddaling government lies.

In comparison RTÉ and the BBC are completely different animals. An objective blind man on the far side of the moon wearing shades can see this. So, you're wasting your time Irish surname poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭myfreespirit

Seven thousand Russian families plunged into mourning as a result of a criminal war:

Estimates have been published that up to 7000 Russian soldiers have died already in Putin's insane attack on Ukraine, not to mention the horrendous death toll of innocent Ukrainian civilians killed by indiscriminate shelling and bombing by Russian forces.

This is Russia Today - a sad legacy of autocratic rule by a pitiless murderer.

Слава Україн– Glóir don Úcráin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

This is a poor precedent. While RT is a tool of the Russian state, having the EU ( and now British) authorities remove it is an overreach that rolls back press freedom that took centuries to build. Once, the fledging media could only print what was approved for dissemination to the public (source: Writing on the Wall by Standage) and this is not a state we should aspire to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭liamtech

Normally i would agree with you - but in all honesty take a look at the clip i posted a while back (liberation day). This is not a news station. Its pure propaganda and distortion. I find GBNews and Fox detestable personally but these are spin stations. Certainly i acknowledge too that CNN and BBC can be considered to do some spinning of their own. but RT sincerely crossed a line, and i cannot see any value in having them transmit using European Satellites or TV broadcast infrastructure - at the end of the day the stations are still available online so - those that specifically feed of RT, can still get their fix

Keeping RT would be the equivalent of allowing Neo Nazis to publish their news papers in Germany and Europe - we wouldnt allow that - and we shouldnt, IMHO

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Russia today is not "press" by any stretch. It's the equivalent to a troll factory wearing the guise of being a news station. If sites and authorities want to suspend it during the war, which is directly helped to promote, I see no issue with that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

And might I inquire what formal war is the EU currently involved in and who are the relevant authorities to decide what might / might not be news fit to print. their standing if one uses the language of law. By failing to adequeting qualfiying this and not understanding the long contensious struggle it had been up to this point to allow even dubious sources like RT to exist then this is an example of never letting a good crisis go to waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

ISIS had an online "news" channel. Would you support that being on the air and available to everyone?

Governments in modern democracies have to defend the public from harmful disinformation and hate speech in the same way they have to protect free speech and the free press. A dangerous Kremlin mouthpiece masquerading as "news" has been suspended/banned, a country is being invaded and people are being slaughtered based on the lies it spreads, and apart from the odd online comment I don't see a large outpouring of support for it to be reinstated. Russia, where the channel originated, is free to continue broadcasting it to their hearts content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Aren't you the same guy who started a thread in After Hours about obsession with Priti Patel?

I think you have a type and it appears to be fascist, darker skinned, brunettes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

I do like dark hair and sallow skin yes

Advertisement