Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You were doing so well until you namechecked the Journal. Like most "straightforward news media websites" they have their own slant when it comes to anything beyond Just the Facts, mostly UCD student type politics. The Kyiv Independent most certainly has their slant, and not exactly surprisingly considering. Now I'd trust them far more than any Russian outlet. I'd trust Russian outlets about as far as I could throw one of thier tanks. However the Ukrainians have been, again quite naturally, throwing their own spin on things and have spouted some BS themselves. EG non existent fighter aces not just the "ghost of Kyiv", the rescue of a mayor by their forces when it turned out to be a prisoner exchange, wheeling out Russian POWs to back their cause while so many of us lapped it up, even though it goes against several "rules of war", including the Geneva convention. And few questioned their testimony because it agreed with our cause.

As is always the case in such things when it comes down to it: "Our" side always tells the truth, "Their" side never does. One of the greatest benefits we hold by living in free societies is that we can publicly ask questions. And we should. Those who automatically shout questions down should remember that. And remember this too: Russians don't have that choice. If there's anything we should be fighting for so far away from the actual battlefield it's this.

Down the thread of a tweet posted earlier was this.

And it holds much wisdom and things we should always be aware of, even when we IMHO rightfully condemn the twisted "logic" of a sociopathic pirate oppressor like putin and his facist state now laid bare and plain for all to see. And how do you know ywe're not living in a fascist state like his? We will see things we disagree with, even hate to read, our elected government will see things they disagree with and hate to read. And nobody will be thrown in gaol for it, or poisoned, or shot in the street like a dog, or "disappeared". Even the biggest conspiracy theorists and tinfoil hattist loons who rattle on about censorship on "MSM" and all that have a voice, and a loud enough one. So loud(and they can't grasp the irony of course) it's hard to avoid them. Be bloody grateful for all that.

There have been a few posts and posters in the thread that had me thinking have their meds worn off, or are they trolls, or just plain thick and no doubt my witterings have been received in similar fashion(to be fair...). And right after those thoughts passed through my brain, I've been grateful to see every single one of them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

BREAKING - IRISH FORUM MEMBER REVEALS NATO PLOT

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭omega man

This thread seems to have been hijacked somewhat by certain posters who appear on the face of it to be anti NATO but yet want them to “do something” by intervening directly against Russian forces.

Perhaps I’m misinterpreting comments…

A good site overall which a former U.S. Ranger that is on our team in the states mentioned to me. Have been reading their content in relation to Ukraine, but some of the content requires becoming a member (which I am not)

There has been no direct NATO/Russian conflict. Note direct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

What does it mean direct?

would wouldn't NATO get involved in a war in Europe? They have before, what is stopping them now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Iv wandered into this out of curiosity - and i have read a few of your posts - and, i have struggled-

Genuinely - Do you have anything solid? At all?? Extraordinary claims require Extraordinary evidence

If you cannot provide any - Hitchens Razor Applies

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement

When have NATO forces fought Russian forces in Europe/anywhere since the 70s?

To spell out, NATO and Russia both full to the gills with nuclear weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d echo this….

Supposedly 77,5 % of Russians who voted, voted for Putin. 56.4 million people.

he isn’t there because he won a competition…

his position has been enabled by the Russian people…deciding that he is the man to lead and be responsible as their head of state.

in the name of Russia he is attacking other sovereign and peaceful nations without just cause or provocation…

Subsequently…in the name of Russia he is threatening those who disagree with him or criticise him…

Ukraine now ? Where next year, who next year ? Could the EU become a target ?

A country about to be joining the EU is a target, the rest of us ? Why not ?

Russia was not in military conflict with the west during the Korean or Vietnam wars, and there is a big difference between mercenaries/stray jets and direct conflict with Russian special forces/the Russian Federation.

I mentioned Korea, giving specifics. When did it happen in Vietnam?

Russian mercenaries are not Russian forces, and don't count, same as US or even Irish volunteers currently in Ukraine not counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Wibbs

As is always the case in such things when it comes down to it: "Our" side always tells the truth, "Their" side never does. One of the greatest benefits we hold by living in free societies is that we can publicly ask questions. And we should. Those who automatically shout questions down should remember that. And remember this too: Russians don't have that choice. If there's anything we should be fighting for so far away from the actual battlefield it's this.

Because war is an existential matter, (for the directly sides involved, at least) it doesn't really surprise me that the search for objective truth goes out the window. Self-preservation and self-interest become paramount when fighting to preserve your life and way of life. Whatever can buoy the morale and minimise the enemy will be used. The objective truth of it is that we're all going to die eventually and fighting over a patch of ground will only hasten that for some. This, however, has not really stopped humans from waging wars for thousands of years.

It is, in my opinion at least, a good thing that we live in a relatively free society where questioning things is tolerated, but that, as we've seen here and elsewhere, is also being used as a cover by bad actors to plant little thought seeds and discord, in among the many people asking honest questions. Questions are good - up to a point, but they should achieve answers, and when it's a case of war or some impending crisis, these should be achieved sooner rather than later. There isn't endless time to moralise and philosophise.

A good read on the Russian sanctions and where they still need to be applied. One of the last major ones that could be applied is to Sovcomflot, the Russian shipping company. Block that from Western ports and from trade with western companies and it'll be devastating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Nato should step in and do something or leave the fold and allow Ukraine align with like minded countries such as Poland in this prelude to WW3

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm guessing that the Mariupol ultimatum is because the regime thinks if it can take the city, it will be the first step to overthrowing Ukraine - it seems to hold major propaganda value for them (they can sell it to the disciples back home as a major victory).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Neither do I. Any use of nuclear weapons or the threat of their use would oblige the UK and USA and the UN Security Council to become involved.

If they did not authorise military action to support Ukraine it would send the message to every other nation that if you want security you need your own nuclear weapons and do not give them up under any circumstances.

The Russian Federation will not want to risk bringing the UK, USA and other UN countries into the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I don't think many people are "turning a blind eye" as you're suggesting. It's about risk versus reward:

Right now the immediate risk is Ukraine lost to Russia with large numbers of displaced Ukrainians throughout our nations; and the reward is Ukraine crippling Russian forces and forcing a settlement from Russia which leaves Ukraine relatively intact with the support of the West but without the West needing to get involved in direct military action.

Now that statement doesn't fully capture the devastation being wrought on ordinary Ukrainian people in places like Mariupol but it nevertheless remains accurate from a macro perspective and, crucially, if you take the emotion out of it.

NATO engaging Russia directly dramatically changes that risk versus reward picture because Russia can then legitimately target NATO countries all over the globe. Think about every coastal NATO military installation or "military-industrial" target; because every single one of those is at immediate risk to Russian missile boats. And that's ignoring the fact Russia clearly has zero qualms about hitting civilian and infrastructure targets which don't seem to have much military or strategic relevance. What effect do you think that will have on the globe? To global economies and supply chains? To food and essential medical supplies? How many extra people around the world do you think will be at added risk of famine and disease and death?

And if NATO starts to hit Russian soil and sufficiently degrade Russia's military forces that ticks two different boxes of Russia's checklist for using nuclear weapons even if no weapons of mass destruction have been used against Russia first. Can you not see how this squarely places the world in clear danger of a nuclear World War III?

The benefit of waiting before acting is that we can make our decisions based on what Russia is actually doing; not on what people are afraid it might do. And by acting on what people are afraid it might do we might just very well be the trigger that precipitates that action in the first place; i.e. we're enabling a bunch of self-fulfilling prophecies.

• Advertisement

I think this is more along the lines of what the West might have to do to apply pressure on Russia.

However this only works effectively if we can get buy-in from the likes of India and China; otherwise they'll just pick up the slack at tidy little discounts. And if China and India start playing ball economically with Russia you can bet military assistance mightn't be that far behind.

If the West weakens itself too much to try and in turn weaken Russia we could leave ourselves in a precarious position in wider geopolitical terms.

Naturally I haven't a clue what I'm talking about; but as I've said before none of this horrendous **** is happening in a vacuum and there are more entities than Russia who have it out for Ukraine and the West in general.

The idea that Russia would be able to organise and build-up forces for an assault on NATO and/or other European countries without the rest of the world knowing it is a little ridiculous.

It took them months to prepare for Ukraine and we can see how well that played out; and we now know that intelligence was predicting the invasion as far back as early December with a high degree of certainty.

Add to that the fact NATO is now at a significantly increased readiness level which is likely only to improve over time and I don't see how Russia would have any chance taking on NATO or the EU in a conventional conflict as things stand.

And of course as you say they still have to "finish up" in Ukraine somehow without having to commit significant numbers of its forces there for security purposes.

President Duda: According to @ZelenskyyUa, Russians from Syria are coming to Ukraine, and mercenaries from the Middle East supporting RU. Syrians are the most numerous. In this context, more NATO assistance to Ukraine is needed. But this also illustrates Russia's weakness and is an interesting signal for Turkey

the war in Syria must be over, Syrian regime has lost much

Dundalk, Co. Louth

There is nothing stopping Poland from joining the Ukraine in fighting Russia, outside of what ever legislative requirements they have to meet in terms of participating militarily in a foreign conflict.

They won't however be able to call on other Nato countries to defend them under the articles of NATO if they do so and the Russians start to attack their cities.

The same applies to any other like minded countries.

I do wonder if we shouldn't start sanctioning Western companies who continue to do business in Russia; especially anything related to luxury brands, electronics, non-essential foodstuffs like alcohols and soft drinks and confectioneries etc. Not sure how feasible that is or if that would just be a part of a complete trade ban.

In any case it seems like we should be firing off a new round of sanctions to remind Russia that this isn't going away anytime soon; targeting the oligarchs and senior politicians doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

first they came for the Georgians i said nothing then they came for the Ukraine i said nothing then they came for the Moldovans i said nothing...then they came for the Irish

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Would the Polish army occupying Lviv and surrounding countryside be a good strategy? This should be clearly notified to the Russians as purely a peacekeeping force.

This would prevent the Russian army from going right up to the Polish border. It prevents Russia from absorbing the entire Ukrainian state. It provides a safe base for the continuation of the Ukrainian government. It gives leverage to the west in negotiating a settlement.

You couldn't get out of Russia in the days of the USSR without government sanction, unless you defected, and it is known that members of the Russian airforce flew missions in Korea against U.N. aircraft.

They also provided munitions as well as military personnel in Vietnam, as did the Chinese. There was even a potential flash point when a Russian ship called Simferopol was hit during American bombing on Haiphong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

or trump makes a comeback and **** hits the fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Putin won't allow it to carry on that long, nevermind just to avoid the threat of Trump again in Washington.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement