Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Mac not able to browse Video Sites

Options
  • 19-03-2022 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

I'm hitting a brick wall with this issue, any advice appreciated.

I've a 2015 Mac Book Pro running Monterery and for some reason I can not access a load of video based sites such as the Rte Player, Virgin Player, Channel Four and Disney Plus. I just get a page that says "safari cannot connect with the server". I can't connect with Chrome or Fire Fox either. I thought it could be some sort of Malware but Bitdefender hasn't picked anything up. Anyone come across this before? The Browsers work for plenty of other sites including youtube, just not the above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I had the same problem on my pc I just downloaded latest Firefox and brave browser, eg rte player won't work on old browsers, browser must be latest version updated since drm won't work on old browser or browser not updated

See www.brave.com, I only use rte player I have no sub for Disney plus never visited virgin media website

Brave is based on the chrome api but sends no info to Google

Maybe uninstall Firefox reboot mac and just download the latest version of Firefox you are maybe using older browser Firefox version from 2020

YouTube works OK on older browsers cos it does not expect or require the latest drm in the browser

If I use old pc Windows 7 rte works on brave browser OK

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I went and downloaded the Brave Browser. Unfortunately I am having the same problem with it as I am the other browsers. I haven't got any proxies selected, having the Firewall turned on or off makes no difference.

Very frustrating

I'm not a mac expert my only idea is its a drm problem. My advice is apply all updates you can to the os, maybe try using a Linux mint os live cd, of a recent os version, if your mac has a cd, dvd drive and click Firefox go to rte ie see if that works go to live or player tv, livecd loads os into ram, runs os, does not touch the hard drive ,

Or Google mac Pro 2015 can't use Disney plus problem etc

I'm presuming mac can boot from dvd drive like a pc set boot device dvd from bios

Or contact Disney plus help centre customer support

Try making sure mac system updates are all up to date to the latest version

I think on rte ie player /help it says ios version 9 min requirements mac

rte player works ok on my pc Windows 7 brave browser

You Could buy an old laptop 15 inch windows 7 for 100 euro on adverts ie, laptops

quote from link above,

How to watch Disney Plus on macOS?

Chrome 75 or higher on macOS 10.10 and later

Safari 11 or higher on macOS 10.12 (Sierra) and later

Firefox 68 and above on macOS 10.9 and later

maybe you can install mac os 10.l10 or later macos on your laptop and chrome version 75 or latest version of chrome

• Advertisement

If you go to tvmucho.com.click Irish TV , rte you should be able to watch rte you have to make an account to use the service , eg submit email adress and password

but click rte 1 watch to see if it works first 5 minutes require no account

Watch 1 hour every day free try in brave browser first ads work in rte always because ads don't check browser DRM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi.

As the error is "safari can't connect to server" let's get a bit more detail on your network.

Is that all it says or is there an error code?

Can you list out everything on the screen when you click on rte player for an example?

Does this happen in the same way in other locations on different WiFi?

Can you watch all of the players on another device such as a phone on the same network?

Are you using anything unusual for DNS on the Mac or a VPN perhaps?

Tvmucho works in chrome , bravo browser, on my old pc windows 7, my experience with rte is it only works with up to date browsers , but. It ll show the ads then go to blank screen on older version browser, hence my advice to use bravo browser. I think older version browsers do not support the DRM required by rte player

You don't say what version mac os you have is it version 8,9. Or 10.1.?

Yes they did. It's 10.18. Monterey, the current version.

Tvmucho free account only requires email adress and password, maybe switch dns settings to Opendns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

The version of macOS isn't the issue as I was using these sites on a 2011 iMac running High Sierra which is 10.13

I don't suppose your system date/time is out by any chance ?

No harm in switching dns to Opendns just to see if it helps

• OP, have you looked at the location based settings on your pc? Eg, do you perhaps have it set to UK location? It might be as simple as this.

i just tried rte 1, on tv mucho, it took 2 seconds to load eastenders,, from chrome, no ads ,just live video.https://tvmucho.com/channels/

tv mucho, i did not log in, using windows 10, pc

works ,loads faster than rte.ie,live rte 1, on my pc.

on his posts he says 2015 mac,monterey os ,he does not say version no .

quote F

I've a 2015 Mac Book Pro running Monterery and for some reason I can not access a load of video based sites

you can try it free for 5 mins before it says please log in or make a new account

i have a free account

if i go to rte.ie live rte1 i always have to watch an ad for 1 minute before viewing the live video

Thanks to everyone on this thread who has responded with some suggestions, I really appreciate it.

I'll try and get through most of the questions...

The error says in Grey writing "Safari can't connect to the Server", with some small writing underneath saying that Safari can't open the page "www.whateveritis.com" because it can't connect to the server "www.whateveritis.com". This is the same error for Disney+, channel 4 and Virgin. With Rte, it loads a window box, but nothing inside it. No error code.

The error repeats no matter what wifi connection I use, in other peoples houses or when I tether to my phone for example. I have no problem getting those sites on my smart TV, consoles and Smart phone when at home, so it's not a router problem.

I'm not running any VPN nor have I done anything with DNS.

Because it's a Mac and I've signed in on my Apple ID which is linked to Ireland I'm assuming I don't need to change location.

I have the most up to date Apple iOs and therefore latest version of Safari, but as I said before the same problem occurs with Chrome, Firefox and Brave.

Other website work fine, but those are the four I've had issue with.

Keep suggestions coming!

Thanks.

The location that might be catching you out isn't your account location, it's a Mac network setting. I remember having a network problem a few years back and creating a new Network Location cleared everything up.

Take a look in the Network part of System Preferences for the Edit Locations controls. Add a new one and see if it helps.

As I said in previous post try switch dns to Opendns. I think it's due to your dns or location settings in the laptop os but I'm not a mac expert so that's all I can say

if you have the latest version of safari and the browser is updated to the latest browser version it should work is there a safari setting Re location or maybe look at network settings location

or try using safari without logging in to your apple I'd

One example every website works fine on my pc but I get in menu London weather rain temp etc windows 10 os

Try going to www.tvmucho.com .click UK TV watch c4 or e4 it works fine on my pc and laptop. Use chrome or brave browser I think that site uses a proxy so it should work no matter what location your browser., OS is set at

Eg it's designed for anyone abroad to use

To watch UK or Irish TV includes rte under Irish channels

C4 e4 under menu UK channels

No login needed to view 5 minutes of any channel

Problem Solved!

So I went into Network settings and just created a new Wifi Connection and rejigged the order so that the new one was the default, and low and behold, it has fixed the issue.

Thank you very much for your patience and help!

Advertisement