Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Because the problem is not that NATO has no reason to go to war with Russia; it's that it does not want to go to war with Russia.

Aside from the fact that NATO and the majority of the democracies in the West are supposed to value the rule of law.

In that Trump would most likely stop any financial and military aid from the U.S. to the Ukraine would indeed be the sh1t hitting the fan for them.

There's a distinct difference between caring and being aware that actions have consequences.

If there's an apartment block on fire and filled with thick smoke but people are trapped there's basically nothing you can do; if you go in without equipment you're likely to become overcome yourself. So now not only have you failed to rescue anyone trapped inside you're now actively hindering the effort to save those people when the fire brigade eventually do arrive.

Just because you don't run in to almost certain injury or death does not mean that you don't care. Likewise if you're a bystander trying to tell other people not to go in it doesn't mean you don't care; and the same applies here.

Just because people like me are arguing against direct NATO intervention doesn't mean we don't care; it means that we can see the potential for much more significant consequences both for Ukraine and the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I answered your question but you still haven't answered mine. How about it?

Looks kinda like there might be another page after that one; interesting that we don't get to see it?

I mean I don't know what the "shelf life" is for military gear but some of the Soviet stuff (as the name suggests) is from the 70s/80s and is still being used so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Yeah I saw it. Thought it was a bit mad to be fair. Was more was thinking if Russia had of done that what would be said about it. Ukraine don't need to go down that route, will give propaganda value to Russia to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

NATO will not attack Russian forces over what is happening in Ukraine.

The strategy will be to supply a guerrilla warfare campaign of attrition at the same time isolating Russia economically and in international relations.

I mean it's easy to say "NATO no-fly zone doesn't need troops" but the reality is very different.

NATO would need to control any airfield from which operations were being conducted: this means security personnel, it means logistics personnel and equipment, it means flight crews and all associated personnel and facilities.

It also means they need air supremacy at and around the airfield which means NATO ground-based air defenses, logistics crews, engineers, transports, and security.

Securing air supremacy also means a certain radius of secured ground control which means NATO ground-based anti-artillery and mortar radars, security, etc.

Then they need to be able to supply these airbases which means supply and logistics flights and convoys which need to be able to GET TO the airfield; so you need to secure these supply routes from both air and ground offensives.

And then you have the mechanics of the actual no-fly zone itself:

• How does NATO identify Ukrainian anti-air assets versus Russian anti-air assets?
    • How does Ukraine differentiate between NATO and Russian aircraft and missiles?
    • How does NATO identify and differentiate Ukrainian aircraft and missiles versus Russian aircraft and missiles?
    • Outside of standard Ukrainian units how do you stop Independent Territorial Army Unit #2344 from firing MANPADs at NATO aircraft?

Granted I'm an idiot and far from an expert on these things but none of this is as simple as people seem to believe.

Yes, Germany offfered to send Ukraiine hundreds of 35 year old obsolete Strella anti-tank weapons before asking their military. When they checked on them, the storage cases were so moldy they had to send people in protective clothing to get them out. Out of 2700 Germany promised, they ended up sending only 500. So if those photos are purporting to show dismayed Ukrainians shocked at what they got, they might just be propagand. The Ukrinians on learning they were obsolete, said said send them anyway, so they wouldn't have been surprised or annoyed at what they got.

NATO declares a "theatre of operations" which cover the borders of Ukraine only

They launch sorties from Nato airfields in Poland

Escalation of the war to a WWIII scenario is protected by the MAD (mutually assured destruction) scenario

Russian nukes probably don't work anyway. Have you not seen the clips of the Russian convoys?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

There is a lot of bad blood between the polish and Ukrainian’s especially with older generations.

Poland will only get involved if there is a direct threat from Russia.

Wasn't that region once part of the Polish/Lithuanian empire?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

😂

Oh wow the Washington Post, definitely an organ of NATO then. Is this the evidence you spent the last few hours digging for?

Educated in the West?? Heavens above, you've cracked open the entire stinking conspiracy CDQ!!

(Don't think we didn't see the deleted post where you said some of the journalists were educated in France, thus making them suspect. I did a summer in France as a pup, am I an unwitting NATO sleeper cell too?)

You'll be quick off the mark furnishing us with a credible source that other journalists are Azov Batallion members (it would help if you spelled it right btw). Fetch...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

🤣

FYI, after doing a little bit of low-effort Googling, you even got the wrong American outlet she had a byline in. And she was never employed by them.

Pony up the evidence of the Azov links, we're waiting...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Saying that NATO can't defend the Suwalki Gap, or even Lithuania as a whole, which is a possibility depending on the circumstances, does not immediately imply that NATO is not willing to take (and capable of taking) a counter-offensive. The place would be a battleground either way. "There would be many casualties". Yes. There would be. Wars tend to do that.

That's not how Western militaries tend to work, nor their political systems. They exist to conduct the operations desired by their civilian leadership. there is no requirement that the leadership, nor those they represent, themselves partake. If getting involved is the right thing to be done, then it's the right thing to be done and the military will salute and move forward.

Worrying that the Russians would get even more unhappy with the West is a silly reason to not get involved. They're already plenty pissed at us for the sanctions and because our weapons are killing their men and equipment. It seems that the end result of the current Russian offensive is more and more likely to be a Russian defeat. If that's so, then the thing that NATO can control is how many Ukrainians are going to die, and how much Ukrainian infrastructure will be destroyed before that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

"Since civil war broke out in Syria in 2011, Israel has carried out hundreds of air strikes on Syrian territory, targeting government positions as well as allied Iran-backed forces and Hezbollah fighters." https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/02/08/israel-missile-targets-syria/

Given Israel has F-35s, I doubt Russia has control over Syrian airspace. Israel would wipe the floor with them if the Russians ever took a shot at an Israeli plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

The Chinese ambassador to the United States says that China will not send weapons and ammunition to support Russia’s war in Ukraine and that Beijing would “do everything to de-escalate the crisis”.

Qin Gang's comments come after US President Joe Biden warned his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping on Friday that there would be "consequences" if Beijing provided material support to Moscow.

Beijing denied reports last week that it was open to providing Moscow with armaments as "disinformation", but China has been reluctant to rebuke Russia for its invasion.

Speaking to US broadcaster CBS, Gang complained that public condemnation by the West "doesn't help" and that "good diplomacy" was needed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60802572

• Advertisement

"Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki and Norway's Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere (not pictured) attend a news conference in the government's official residence in Oslo, Norway March 8, 2022. NTB/Stian Lysberg Solum via REUTERS

WARSAW, March 18 (Reuters) - Poland will formally submit a proposal for a peacekeeping mission in Ukraine at the next NATO summit, Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki said on Friday."

Not just Mig-29's.

I don't think we've seen direct evidence of Russia using large thermobaric warheads yet. They have definitely used their TOS-1 thermobaric rockets. Many of their smaller man-portable devices also have thermobaric versions which have been documented in Ukraine to varying degrees; but in the grand scheme of things they wouldn't be particularly powerful individually.

Russia does however have thermobaric versions of many of their other weapon types such as their cruise and ballistic missiles; I'm not sure if any of those have been used or how many they might have. Russia has in the past claimed to have tested the largest thermobaric weapon in the world which is more powerful than the smallest nuclear warheads; but presumably even if it did exist it probably wouldn't exist in significant quantities. I also believe it can only be dropped from its strategic bombers which are unlikely to be allowed close enough to drop any as things currently stand; although it might be a possibility in Mariupol or in the East.

One thing they haven't used (certainly not extensively at least) is incendiary munitions; particularly white phosphorous munitions. There were some captured on video but it was suggested they were conventional incendiary munitions. Obviously using these over large suburban and city areas could cause significant destruction due to fire.

As far as I can tell Russia have used effectively every type of conventional munition at their disposal in Ukraine at least once. Cluster bombs, thermobaric weapons, incendiaries, "suicide drones", sea and land mines, etc. There have even been documented prototypes in Ukraine which are believed to be the only ones of their kind.

They have also used what appeared to be civilian grade tear gas against protesters; which is technically a chemical weapon.

So what's left for them to use? In order of likelihood maybe something like large thermobaric warheads, larger-scale or military-grade chemical, nuclear, and biological.

I mean operating from Polish air fields only adds lots of new challenges and makes others even more difficult; and doesn't really address any of the other problems with NATO operating over Ukraine.

And the thing about the Russian military stockpile is that most of it works at least for a little while; or for at least one use. Would you like to take a chance that 0 out of ~6000 nuclear warheads aren't in good enough working order to fly in the general direction of something important and go boom? For all their failures in Ukraine they have managed to cause quite a bit of damage; in case you hadn't noticed.

That's good news; assuming they actually keep their word of course.

I do wonder if they might supply MREs, protective equipment, trucks etc. though; which are arguably likely to be more important to Russian operations in and around Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Russia hit the Sumykhimprom chemical plant in Sumy a few hours ago which is now leaking Ammonia, nasty stuff that.

There was this a few days ago:-

Was it deliberate?

Speaking of chemical weapons:

And naturally enough two days ago Russia were talking about this very chemical plant being a target for Ukrainian "nationalists":

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭eire4

It always makes me shake my head when I read about people like this living in open western societies. If your love affair with authoritarianism is so intense why are you not living there then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I've read that Finland and Poland together have the biggest field artillery in the whole of Europe, also Finland is an arms supplier and is so well prepared if russia were to attack.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement