Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What big companies do you think will not be around in the next 5 years?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tesla fanboys.

The globally lauded and recognised JD Power Dependability global survey for 2021, the most recent survey, placed Tesla 30th out of 33 manufacturers.

31,32 and 33 were Jaguar, Alfa Romeo and Land Rover. And boy are those brands terrible.

The metric for Tesla was 176 issues per hundred vehicles.

The top performers were Lexus, Porsche and Kia at 81, 86 and 97/100 respectively. All serious Tesla rivals themselves and all now with electric models of such quality that they should make Elon Musk turn pale!

Not many companies have an industry wide study in how not to do things, commonly known as "Production Hell", from the Hollywood movies term. It is taught as a cautionary tale as part of the Harvard MBA. I'm not even joking.

So either buy the Porsche Taycan, or the Kia EV6, or even the excellent Skoda Enyaq if you want a car that will just perform day in and out, or buy the American sh1t box with the ludicrous mode and you can entertain the boys in the golf club. Until its towed away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ps5 sales are obliterating XBox 17.3 million vs about 12.

sony is the company not PlayStation, that’s only a brand.

Sony are making unbelievable products at the minute… bought a TV a while back to replace my kaput Samsung that was 12 years old and the Sony Bravia I got is unreal, best purchase is aeons...picture quality and sound is unreal.

Think Tesla will be around, went from 3 years ago to seeing one a week to a couple a day now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We have probably reached peak coffee, so I guess the johnny-come-latelys, weaker chains and mom & pop horsebox operations may founder first. When things get tight, the expensive treats will be first to be ditched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Tork

Some of the smaller coffee chains and franchises in shops could go if inflation continues in the way it is currently. When people have less money in their pockets or sense there's a recession coming, the first thing to go are these treats.

I can see some agri machinery manufacturing go down the drain, especially cultivation equipment like ploughs as farmers move more to less tillage and direct drilling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

If a couple of quid for a coffee becomes unaffordable we really are f**ked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Except it’s more like €3.50 plus these days. €2 I could live with. I’ve certainly reduced my purchase of pricey coffees much as I like them

Post edited by road_high on

I think the likes of nail salons (seem to have popped up everywhere) will be fcuked. Totally dependent on discretionary spending on treats. With whooping energy bills this stuff will be first to go or at least very much paired back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Dublin prices ? Can get a decent coffee for 2.70 in Cork 😁 though I drink americanos…

Tesla doesn’t surprise me- and for purely electrical cars they should in theory have less issues as there’s far fewer mechanical issues to go wrong. I really like their brand and image but the look and feel of the product just doesn’t impress me. Cars are tactile and give you a feeling of robustness (or not).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The treat rebound in recessions is exceptionally quick though. There were loads of articles on how takeout pizza recovered rapidly here in ~2011 as people started using Xtravision (Netflix only came here in 2012), Apache and cans to replace cinema, restaurant and pints.

Back on guessing what'll go - there's got to be streaming service mergers, people are not going to pay for eight-ten-whatever total services.

Kilkenny so just as bad really!! There’s no where that does a barista coffee for under €3! Cheapest might be €3ish in a sole trader type place, machines obviously a bit less.

the chains like costa are most expensive buy to suppose that’s same everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Tork

It isn't just one cup of coffee we're talking about here though. It's people who have got into the habit of treating themselves regularly to a coffee and maybe something to go along with it. That adds to quite a lot of money over a month if you do the sums.

We took pay cuts in my workplace back in 2009 because of the recession that hit around the time. The first things to go for most people were the deli rolls and lunches in local pubs and cafés.

This downturn is different though- it’s a cost of living crisis, whereas 2010 was more an unemployment crisis. If you managed to keep your job then you were mostly doing fine albeit there were common paycuts. This time we have people are even reasonably well paid and in very good jobs being hit hard by spiralling costs. Something has to give and it will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tesla's big problem is the other manufacturers have pretty much caught up with them in terms of battery range and design. The other manufacturers have vast dealer networks all over the world in all big cities with a big support team should anything go wrong, Tesla will never scale up to this and so will need to eventually merge to stay alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was chatting to a guy recently at a charge point, he was charging his id4 company car. He said his company owned about 8 evs. One from each major brand.

Apparently when the delivery lorry called to their office to drop-off their latest Tesla, the manager came out and checked the car over. He pointed about about 4 or 5 immediate things that were finished poorly. The delivery driver told him it was one of the better ones they had!

Guy was saying the Tesla is well behind the vw in terms of build quality. He even said the kia's were more solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Tesla won't be gone, but they will most certainly have gone through major change and maybe merge over the next 5 years I'd predict.

Way overvalued, rapidly catching up legacy manufacturers, constantly missed targets, awful support network, awful aftersales record, awful build quality in some cases and sketchy reliability etc. are all red flags that take time (and a fat wod of dolla) to remedy.

Anyone I talk to who have invested in Tesla always roll out the "well they aren't a car company they are a tech company" - well their technology looks awfully like a car to me.

As far as big companies that may get the chop but probably won't be 5 years - I'd be looking at the likes of lyft, peloton, wework, uber. Their day of endless unprofitability will stop, might take a major event but will come.

If there was a company I'd hope would be it is facebook, utter tumour on society. I hope their metaverse crashes and burns & their megalomaniac management team crash with it. Very close second is tiktok, the world would be much better off without that nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Toyota buying Tesla, haha funny thread! Tesla is the #1 most valuable car maker in the world. Worth more than Toyota (#2). If anything, Toyota could very well be gone. Maybe not in 5 years, but possibly in 10. They are very far behind in the electrification process. They don't make any EVs at all. Except a car made by Chinese company BYD that is rebadged as a Toyota and only sold in the Chinese market.

For years, I was afraid that BMW - my favourite make of all time - might be a gonner too because of their diesel loving gobsh1te CEO Harald Krüger, but they finally kicked him out and are putting all their efforts into EVs now. And the only reason VW will survive is again by virtue of their current CEO Herbert Diess (ex BMW) who is going full steam ahead with the electrification, despite a lot of resistance from workers and unions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Tesla are like that all the time, people have waited so long to get one and then are desperate to share on Twitter etc…look at my new Tesla….they just ignore the issues and say sure it will be grand.

I was actual told once what was the problem because you can just bring back to Tesla and they will fix. These are 50k+ cars and you have to bring back to get fixed because they can’t build right

A lot of them want to buy it and bring to golf to show off, problem is now everyone wants th BMW electric

After the fanboys buy it up the market will dry up and Musk will move on. I can see a VW buying them out, dumping the US factories because they are shite. Then just run the brand as separate for as long as it makes money.

• Advertisement

If I had a spare 65,000… which is what a Tesla model 3 costs, base price…. I’d be getting a Mercedes instead… Mercedes have C-class coupes starting from 60,000

come on, that or a Tesla ?….

I think there is a novelty about Tesla, loads of Tech heads and environmentally conscious people love em, grand, but .. they are not a lot of car for quite a bit of money. How much does a charging point cost, prob a grand. Tesla novelty wears thin, so might their finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Gah. I hate the trend for big screens shticking out over the dash

They look gash… got to be distracting even with brightness control..

Tesla have done a great job of marketing themselves, and becoming a 'brand'.

Even young kids now, who know nothing about cars, know about Tesla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

That’s true,

however young kids or not many are in a position to be able to get behind a Tesla wheel.

again, if they in time have 70,000, the fûck, Merc vs Tesla ? It’s a no brainer.

• Advertisement

If it was an electric Merc, it would win everytime.

Someone in Los Angeles rented a Tesla and did this on Saturday night. It's quite a video.

Personally, I think it's a metaphor for the fortunes of Tesla Inc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Toyota buying Tesla, haha funny thread! Tesla is the #1 most valuable car maker in the world. Worth more than Toyota (#2). If anything, Toyota could very well be gone

Just because their current "value" is high, or that they are "worth" x more than another car maker it doesn't mean that they are in a better financial position.

That "value" could drop like a stone based simply on what Musk could wake up and decide someday.

Read analysis of Tesla's market cap by Forbes or Barrons or the likes and you'll see very easily understandable ways why it so overvalued.

If they are worth $1.x Trillion, then the overvalue is one trillion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I'd say the HSE will be gone soon. I havent stayed at a hospital since I was a baby so not sure how they've lasted this long. The hospital network could be taken over by Odeon and turned into cinemas, which I attend regularly

(am I doing this right??)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

Hopefully the RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

RTE will be getting bailed out by all our money. It will not be allowed to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

John Lewis in the UK looks like the next big retail/dept store to go.

Hewlett Packard.

Their laptops and desktop machines. build quality issues. persistent component issues.

Creative seems to have faded away, well, still there in the background - Realtek make all the soundcards now in PCs. Yep, Creative will be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

HP has been FUBARed ever since 'The Bitch in Heels' took it over and that was not today or yesterday!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

HP are still the dominant vendor of business PCs. They should probably exit the consumer market.

Creative have refocused on speakers and headphones - they'll probably last in that market. They do still make PCIE soundcards but basically nobody uses discrete soundcards anymore. Pro market uses USB interfaces, broadcast market uses AES67 AoIP implemented in software, consumers use whatever onboard they get - or bluetooth. It isn't an important part of their business anymore.

Lots of the "Realtek" sound cards are Realtek software on Intel or AMD silicon, its fairly rare to have an actual Realtek chip although they do exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Would a PCIE soundblaster be significantly better than onboard audio?

No. Better at all is questionable unless you have specific needs - digital out, or 7.1+ (onboard is usually 5.1 capable) or similar. And in those cases a USB interface is probably easier.

If you're an "audiophile" that buys oxygen free copper, gold connector ethernet and HDMI cables and gets laughed at by actual audio professionals you might convince yourself you'll hear something better. But you aren't.

Aer Lingus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I think using the machine and waiting is much more convenient than using the till. Love the Big mac but I don't know how people still eat the rubbish macdonalds fries

Wendys failed in Dublin before - think their only branch in the city was what's now Anns Bakery on North Earl Street and was the Earl Mooney pub before it was Wendys. It was the US chain, not a knock-off.

edit: Also one where Elverys is in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Didn't they have one at O'Connell Bridge, on the Bachelor's Walk corner, early 80s? I think I had my first ever work lunch there.

Think that was Wimpy? Wendys came here in '86.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

eBay is a possibility. Their policies and commissions/fees have made it less and less attractive to sell for any private person. All you seem to find there are professionals and loads of cheap rubbish from China.

I could be wrong but I feel eBay as it was is dead and they're now just milking a half dead horse til its gone altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I said it was more convenient as I'd rather sit and wait for my order while on my phone rather than stand at the counter for a few mins and I certainly don't want the hassle of having to queue. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and saying you have to use the machines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I'm surprised to see so many people talking up Netflix when it released some Q1 2022 new subscriber warnings and is raising its prices to try to make up for the losses in new subscribers (which obviously risks alienating existing subscribers). But I think the likely US recession this year will hit Netflix hard as consumers unwind some of their less important expenditure. Will they be around in five years? Maybe in some form but their peak with their current model has passed.

Facebook/Meta for me, for the last few years, is one of the hyper tech stocks that is hard to understand just how it is so valuable. It is just an advertising company, nothing more, based on its revenue anyway. It has been plagued with (self-inflicted) bad press (eg Cambridge Analytica) and is arguably the reason that regulators want to clamp down on the power of Big Tech Cos. Younger people don't use it at all. Further, last year there was a story that Facebook could in fact be misleading advertisers on the extent of the reach of the ads they purchase; in effect that Facebook could be a bit fraudulent. The second last point is on WhatsApp. This also contributes to the valuation of Meta but this valuation contribution is largely based on potential monetisation given the large user base rather than actual revenue earning (via WhatsApp business and whstapp pay for example). My last point is on the Meta verse. This project is an acknowledgement that the current Facebook model to date has no future and therefore the company is pivoting into something entirely new. For me, for a high profile company that is probably not going to be around in 5 years in any form like it is currently, it's Facebook.

Other notables that we would've heard a lot about in recent years that aren't that great, in my view; Deliveroo (can't turn a profit in the pandemic then they have no hope, especially with the gig worker model being under threat), Peloton (too expensive and needs a lockdown to thrive), Tesla (as someone noted above, they can barely make a profit and the traditional car companies are catching up), Deutsche Bank (just wait for the liquidity squeeze in markets to see this scandal-plagued bank struggle), Salesforce (no one knows exactly what they do and will be targeted for its tax practices in the US), Indeed (jobs website, will get turned upside down should the booming jobs market reverse) and LinkedIn (not quite sure how this social media platform is so popular, it's basically a recruitment tool).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

People who mention Netflix as being vulnerable must remember that they have pivoted before and made a huge success of it.

Netflix were originally a web based DVD rental company.

You bought a subscription online, which gave you access to a certain number of DVD's per month.

You ordered your DVD through the website and returned it in the post within a certain period.

They were doing that in the late 1990s in the US.

They then moved into streaming when the tech made it commercially viable.

So I'd expect them to be able to keep up with the Joneses given their history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

And also not to forget they then pivoted from streaming to production. I personally don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon, it will be a slow decline if any

Advertisement