Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That can't happen, because trans is not significant. You can have a 'Gay Games' but you can't have Trans Games.

Gender discombobulation is a very very niche thing, and always will be.

It is the Left that are promoting it as an important demographic, because they've run out of minorities to champion.

In the Left's quest to promote minorities, they are now promoting drag queens of late. So embarrassing to be a gay guy these days when the Left are 'platforming' drag queens in their desperation to have a minority to fight for. Cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well this is utter nonsense. What top sports women are advocating to get rid of women's sport?

Nobody said anything about top sports women advocating to get rid of women’s sport. You’re not picking holes in any argument I’ve made which is why I was wondering where you were going with your earlier post that I figured wasn’t worth responding to, as there was nothing to respond to. You just appeared to be throwing it out there and I figured “Ok, whatever!”

You didn’t address my question about Jenner, instead you chose to completely avoid it to make the point that Jenner wouldn’t be interested in my opinion. I didn’t ask whether Caitlyn Jenner would be interested in my opinion or not, I asked whether you thought it was reasonable to suggest that Caitlyn Jenner would be in the position they’re in now if they had chosen to compete as Caitlyn Jenner in the 1976 Olympics. They wouldn’t, and you know damn well they wouldn’t. The only comparable test case from around the same time is that of Reneee Richards, who sued the USTA for the right to play. The USTA used the same junk science as is still being used some 40 years later, and the opinion of the Courts then was almost prophetic -

Judge Alfred Ascione agreed, and in a 13-page decision he ruled that, as a woman, Richards was free to play in the U.S. Open without taking a chromosome test. He also rejected the USTA's bizarre claim that allowing transsexual players to compete would unleash an army of male athletes seeking gender reassignment in order to infiltrate women's sports. "When an individual such as plaintiff, a successful physician, a husband and father, finds it necessary for his own mental sanity to undergo a sex reassignment," Ascione wrote, "the unfounded fears and misconceptions of defendants must give way to the overwhelming medical evidence that this person is now female."

https://www.si.com/.amp/tennis/2019/06/28/renee-richards-gender-identity-politics-transgender-where-are-they-now

I have never, not once, ever argued that transgenderism and homosexuality are the same thing. You’ve never been given that impression from any of my posts either because I have never, not once, argued either in terms of ‘gay rights’, or ‘trans rights’, or ‘disabled rights’, or ‘womens rights’ or ‘mens rights’ for that matter. I have always, and consistently argued within the framework of Human Rights. Within that framework I have argued against discrimination. That’s what is the common thread that each distinct group within society faces - discrimination on the basis of characteristics.

Discrimination fuelled by prejudice and ignorance, claims about their behaviour which are based upon nothing, no evidence whatsoever, but perpetuating fearmongering and prejudice in an attempt to justify the reasons why people belonging to those groups should face discrimination and why it is entirely justified. That is not regarding all people as equals, it is perpetuating discrimination based upon regarding people belonging to different groups as a threat to social norms. Each of those groups face similar discrimination in terms of education, healthcare, housing, employment, etc. It’s nothing to do with being woke or any of the rest of that nonsense to recognise discrimination which has the effect of people being treated less favourably than others on the basis of characteristics, discrimination fuelled by prejudice and ignorance, not by science, but because of a lack of science, which is a tool used in the pursuit of knowledge, not a tool used to justify discrimination.

You make the point that if people want to be prejudiced for fun, they might be better off focussing their prejudices on people they encounter in their own lives, but here’s the thing - people can do that, AND at the same time they can focus their prejudices on whatever the Daily Mail serves up on a platter, AND when their appetite for being a miserable cnut is still unsatisfied, like JK the billionaire author of children’s fiction who appears to have fcukall better else to do with her time, they can scour the internet for things to be miserable about, and even use it to their own advantage if their motivation is that they should be able to exercise free speech and mock and belittle people, and encourage others to mock and belittle people, and troll the hell out of people, and if those people respond in anger, then you have a whole audience of ‘followers’ to join you in condemning those people as uncivilised and undeserving of human rights like all of us civilised folk in ‘polite society’. I dunno man, there’s always just something ‘off’ for me about the whole idea of celebrating and rewarding that kind of behaviour towards other people. It’s always struck me as the complete opposite of civilised behaviour towards other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Nobody said anything about top sports women advocating to get rid of women’s sport. You’re not picking holes in any argument I’ve made which is why I was wondering where you were going with your earlier post that I figured wasn’t worth responding to, as there was nothing to respond to. You just appeared to be throwing it out there and I figured “Ok, whatever!”

I have you on this one and you know it. That is why you've written an essay and asked me questions about Jenner to distract.

I'm not going to let you off the hook on this one. So I'll repeat. You think women's sport is a thing because of discrimination. If there weren't discrimination there wouldn't be any gendered sports.

So, why aren't you fighting against that discrimination such that there wouldn't be any gendered sports at all.

"Ok, whatever" is your answer to that.

Well, "Ok Whatever" yourself, if you think I'm going to bother to respond to your further points, as if I made some nonsensical point not worth responding to. Everyone else gets it, dude.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It’s only when people who are transgender wanted to participate in sports in accordance with their gender that people got tetchy about the idea - they don’t have any interest in women’s sports themselves, and they don’t want people who are transgender participating in sports. They want to eliminate any evidence of people who are transgender because it doesn’t fit with what in their view are ‘social norms’ which must be upheld.

This explanation doesn't make sense for those who have no problem with transmen competing in male sports.

Also yes, there is limited research or evidence on specifically professional trans athletes. There is, however, plenty of evidence on trans people in general and no reason to assume professional/high level athletes would be any different.

You want to argue for inclusion of transwomen in female sports then fine - there is a perfectly valid rights-based argument for it. Just don't argue they don't have physiological advantages over women and accept the downside for women of their inclusion. This attempt to make it seem like the only reason to oppose it is bigotry is pathetic.

You were making a nonsensical point not worth responding to, and you’re still doing it, and by your own standards you’ve “lost the argument”, when you’re trying to tell me what my argument is, and then asking me why don’t I fight against discrimination such that there wouldn’t be any gendered sports at all, then saying that means I must give examples of top professional women athletes who want to get rid of women’s sports!

I’ve never argued any of that, because it makes no sense. Instead what I can do is correct your purposely taking whatever I’ve said out of context, and putting it back in it’s proper context. There are women who want to play sports with men, for whatever their reasons, and they are not permitted to, by the governing bodies rules.

Because we’re generally speaking about discriminating about athletes who are transgender, harking back 200 years to a time when women were excluded from participating in sports because they were considered the pursuit of of men and boys only, explains discrimination against women in it’s historical context. People who are transgender participating in sports isn’t new. People who wish to participate in sports without discrimination on the basis of gender isn’t new either. People being discriminated against on the basis of gender, but being told it is on some other ground such as sex, is an attempt to introduce a new standard which didn’t apply before, primarily because nobody thought of it, in the same way as women were never considered when it came to sports, because sports were for men, the hell would women be doing participating in sports, you having a laugh?

It’s obviously not the same people, because they’re long dead now, obviously, but for the newer generations of young people participating in sports, they’re still coming up against the old rules which are discriminatory against them, and why politicians are scrambling to introduce new legislation to keep it that way, and why sports organisations are scrambling to introduce new rules to make sure they don’t get caught off-guard like that again. Nah, not to protect women and girls or anything like that, but to protect their own income from sports, to protect the image of sports as a men’s pursuit, and if women really want to participate, they should be more like men, as that’s the only way they’ll earn recognition and respect in sports.

That’s why you don’t hear about Mack Beggs and their campaigning in the same way as you never heard about Chris Mosier and their campaigning, in the same way as you’ll never hear about the many hundreds of children who are transgender participating in sports and who want to continue to participate in sports in accordance with their gender, not the gender anyone else says they are, but the gender they say they are themselves -

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/18802987/mack-beggs-transgender-wrestler-change-laws-watch-wrestle-boys

Really it’s not a surprise you’ve never heard of them.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Mr Bumble

This is the single biggest problem with all of these debates.

It's simple enough I think.

If there is unfairness, it is because there is difference.

If there is difference, then the trans argument that there is no difference between a woman and a man identifying as a woman falls.

The difference can never be acknowledged so we end up talking about gobis that change sex. Sea horse males give birth. So what?

None of these things have anything to do with how human beings have evolved.

The vast majority of humans are hetro, about 10% (maybe more) are gay and a tiny % are trans. Even with more openness about trans, it will still be a tiny %.

BY insisting that black is in fact white, trans rights will ultimately suffer because good people will be put off by the pure stupidity of the arguments being made.

Perhaps it would be better for trans activists to understand that nobody has 100% of their rights upheld all of the time, that unfairness is just that and not a stick to beat with and that trans people have the same responsibility as everyone else to avoid doing harm to other humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Some people do have a problem with trans men and boys competing

The fact is there are not enough elite trans athletes competing across a wide verity of sports to provide enough data to enable any absolute conclusions to be drawn. The research is in the early stages and much of the data used is from the U.S. military using specific tests designed to test the fitness of soldiers - not athletes.

There are so many caveats and qualifications added to the research results as to render them far from conclusive. But the one thing even the most concerned scientists agree on is that there should not be a blanket ban on allowing transgender people compete as the gender they identify as. Interestingly there is a study that shows transgender men do have a slight advantage in some sports over cis men - yet, this as you say, is rarely a problem.

And tbh - as someone who was lucky enough to compete in a very physical team sport at the highest level every single person I played with and against had some advantage over the people who didn't make it. Our abilities (a combination of physical and mental) gave us an edge and we used it to our advantage. Didn't mean we always won. Didn't mean every individual player played to the highest level every time because that never happens. There are always variables. Off days.

All this talk about 'fairness' in elite level sport as if a level playing field is even possible is, to my way of thing, nothing but a nonsense platitude similar to giving everyone who competes a medal. The reality is every single person engaging at the highest level already has several advantages over the average person - advantages that give them the edge in their chosen sport. As I said earlier - a left handed tennis player has a huge advantage when serving. Should they be banned to make it 'fair'? No - because the reality is they do not always win.

My point has always been that it is not a given that a transgender player will win.

To claim they will is to imply that cis women athletes are just not that good really.

Thomas - the latest media focus - won one race in a specific swim meet. She is not the world #1. She isn't even in the world rankings. She has been beaten by cis women who also have 'advantages' that got them to where they are, and used them to their advantage. Which is what all athletes do.

Thomas didn't 'rob' anyone's spot. She swam faster then them on the day. Those she beat did not own the spot. No one owns a win until the race is finished.

Those who claim their interest is in protecting women's sports seem to only care (some honestly have stated they have zero interest in women's sports) about those sports where the media has made a fuss about a transgender woman competing - or perhaps I missed the plethora of posts about the Canadian volleyball team... and also seem to have a very narrow view of what constitutes sport.

Am I misreading this?

Your argument seems to be that transgender people should shut up and put up with not having their rights protected because no one has all their rights protected?

Do you extend that to all minority groups?

Seems to me, as a member of a minority group who had to fight for a very long time to get our rights protected and a not minority group that had to fight for a very long time to get our rights protected that this seems to be an argument coming from a position of a life where the majority of the person making the argument has their rights protected.

Easy to tell other's that life isn't fair deal with it when one is a member of the life is pretty fair rights wise group.

Some people do have a problem with trans men and boys competing

Fine, I don't.

To claim they will is to imply that cis women athletes are just not that good really.

No it isn't. It is to claim that men are bigger, faster and stronger than women, which is true and one would like to think an uncontroversial statement. And of course a transwoman will not always win - they may not be anywhere near as good. I, obviously, would not win in a race against Shelly Ann Fraser Pryce but thousands and thousands of men would, including some teenagers.

In many ways, sports is about finding out advantages and separating out unique talents. The problem is that the sex differences generally swamp any other advantage. Whatever the history of segregated female sports, that is the reality today and why they need to be kept separate. There are also (quite valid) criticisms of "forcing" athletes to take medication in order to compete - which is essentially what the hormone blockers do. I would like to think there would be no argument that completely unmedicated transwomen have a massive advantage (though I'm sure someone will try). The IOC however are even moving in that direction.

Ultimately, there is no particular reason to segregate out sports by gender, rather than sex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Yes you are misreading it. It's what you do all the time.

• Advertisement

It is absurd to conflate sporting regulations with human rights.

Human rights: life, liberty, fair trial, privacy, own property, etc

Sporting regulations: Only ____ can enter this contest (men/women/under 18s/over 18s/amateurs/professionals/ranked/unranked/drug free/etc)

Biological males should not be allowed to enter contests intended for women. This is common sense, nothing to do with depriving anyone of rights or dignity.

You’re reading it correctly, but due to what appears to be their own blind spot, I don’t think that poster is aware of the fundamental flaw upon which their argument is built -

If there is unfairness, it is because there is difference.

I genuinely don’t think it’s intentional, it’s just such a lack of understanding of how discrimination and prejudice is perpetuated.

It’s not that life isn’t fair, it’s that people make rules which are unfair. The whole idea of anti-discrimination legislation recognises that people are different, and the law prohibits organisations and employers and so on from treating people unfavourably on the basis of any of the protected characteristics recognised in law.

I’m not put off by the stupidity of their argument (they’ll see what I did there 😏), but the bit about having to accept being treated unfairly while also implying that if the people being discriminated against weren’t treated unfairly, they would be responsible for harming others… I get the logic behind it, but I don’t think that poster understands the implications, rather they see discrimination and unfair treatment as some sort of benign idea that’s good for the majority of people in society or some shyte.

It’s a good thing for me that my mother didn’t listen to sort of shyte, and insisted I be educated in a mainstream school with other children, as well as educating me herself, and so when @Shield or anyone else points out that I’m being incoherent or my posts are too long to read, I know at least it has nothing to do with being dyslexic, because they couldn’t know that, and so I’m not being treated unfairly or any differently to anyone else. They’d say the same of anyone else rambling on 😂

I can’t say the same for my experiences in employment (I’ve been incredibly fortunate though that employers provided private healthcare insurance) where I have been discriminated against unfairly on account of struggling at times, it’s difficult to hide something you have no control over. But nowadays because of having met and knowing people who are more understanding and who didn’t treat me unfairly in employment, it’s easier to talk about things openly and not feel like I’m being a burden to others and being told that it’s unfair on everyone else if I’m expecting special treatment, when it wouldn’t be necessary to put that responsibility on anyone if everyone is treated fairly in the first place and nobody is subjected to discrimination because of a policy which is upheld by tradition and prejudice.

Rather than having a go at me how about you clarify how I am misreading it?

"It is to claim that men are bigger, faster and stronger than women, which is true and one would like to think an uncontroversial statement."

Are ALL men bigger than ALL women?

Are ALL men stronger/faster than ALL women?

No.

Are strength/speed/size the main factors in ALL sports.

No.

You may like to think your opinion is not controversial - it is demonstrably untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do all lions eat all all gazelles?

No.

Do all gazelles escape all lions?

No.

Some gazelles escape, but to use the ones that escape to somehow prove to yourself the lions and gazelles are equal is absurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Are ALL men bigger than ALL women?

Are ALL men stronger/faster than ALL women?

No.

Are strength/speed/size the main factors in ALL sports.

No.

There will be edge cases, but in general, men are stronger/faster/bigger than women.

Sports often relies on strength/speed and size, especially at the elite level.

Just for an example, would you advocate that a woman fights a man in a pro boxing match or in the UFC?

In the trans-gender debate, its never transgender women competing with men and winning, it's always the other way around. Why is that? I honestly don't care about this debate, but the circles' people try and square reminds me that it's becoming a bit of religion to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Humans though, cannot, by any thought process, biological procedure, or magical metamorphosis change their sex.

The animals named all go through a biological change that is not physically possible in human beings.

Obviously not, it is a point I have already referenced. However, are the top few percentile of men bigger, faster and stronger than all women? Yes.

Also, there are very few sports where strength/speed/size will not convey a massive advantage.

Person who doesn't care uses example of sport where a very specific set of physical attributes are required to make a general point.

Would you like to fight Katie Taylor in the ring Mark?

Or Joanna Jedrzejczyk?

Surely most men would be able to beat either of these women. That appears to be the general gist of the men are faster/bigger/stronger trope.

Transgender women competing against men? I honestly don't know what you mean by this. Transgender women wish to compete against other women. Transgender men have been forced to compete against women - and have a notable advantage. In 2017 and 2018, Mack Beggs, a trans man, dominated the Texas 6A 110-pound girls wrestling division, capturing two state championships while compiling a record of 89 wins and 0 losses. Beggs was barred from competing against men - despite repeated appeals.

There's very few sports where hand to eye co-ordination doesn't play a huge part but no-one mentions those.

The top percentile of women athletes would beat the average man hands down.

The very top percentile of male athletes will beat other male athletes hands down.

Because all athletes are not created equally.

To reduce it all down to men are bigger/faster/stronger is nonsense.

SOME men are bigger/faster/stronger than every one else. Including other men.

• Advertisement

The average man is bigger, stronger and faster than the average woman.

That wasn't the question I was responding to - that question was do any species change sex.

The answer is yes. They do.

Can humans, biologically change sex, as per the other examples in the animal world?

Since when are athletes 'average'?

Or have people lost sight of the topic of this thread which is women's sport and whether transgender athletes have such an advantage they will always win.

The argument is yes they will because cis men are bigger/faster/stronger.

Not always they aren't.

With the intervention of medical science humans can change gender.

Just like we can fly, or travel at the speed of sound, with the intervention of physics.

Do you advocate human's stick to only what is possible within nature?

You'll do your back in moving them goalposts all over the place. The FC Dallas U-15 boys team were not elite athletes, they hockeyed Rapinhoe etc. 4-1. Newcastle Jets U-15s were not elite athletes, they beat the Australian women's team (ranked 4th in the world) 7-0. Most of these boys will never play at a higher level than their current academy. Ireland's best amatuer boxer (not an elite athlete, someone with a hobby and a job) in Katie Taylors weight class would probably beat her, and beat her well. Men don't have to be "elite" to beat women in a lot of sports.

"I was sitting there [in the tournament office] when the girls were saying they could beat any man ranked outside 200," Braasch told Fialkov. "I said ‘I’m 203 in the world and we can do it if you want to'. I [lost in the first round of singles and doubles] so I had another five days in Australia and had nothing to do."

The bearded Braasch, wearing glasses resembling swimming goggles and a baggy Reebok shirt, looked more like a mad scientist than a tennis pro as he squared off against Serena on Court 17 at Melbourne Park in a match played before a few hundred fans without linespeople, a chair umpire or TV cameras.

The quirky lefty's herky-jerky serve and masterful skill shifting spins and creating obscure angles befuddled the teenage Serena as Braasch prevailed, 6-1.

"I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's Tour and he got to them easily," Serena said afterward. "This time next year I'll beat him. I have to pump some weight."

Venus, who supported Serena from the stands, challenged Braasch immediately after the set to only a slightly better result. The German, who had a fondness for smoking Marlboros during some changeovers, extended rallies and deployed the same disorientating array of spins defeating Venus, 6-2."

Sorry, but a)what has gender got to do with either medicine or science? and b) maybe re-read the question I asked and answer that one??

My bother is an average man.

I am faster than him. He is stronger than me. Our sister can whip both our asses in tennis. She regularly beat an Irish male player who qualified for Wimbledon.

Brother can beat us both to a pulp in squash.

I have never lost to him in a sport primarily needing good hand to eye co-ordination like darts, shooting, archery.

There is a hell of a lot more to sport than big/fast/strong.

How many of the male competitors were taking testosterone reducing drugs?

Because that is the key.

Transgender women are not allowed to compete unless they have been taking testosterone reducing hormones for approx 2 years.

No one is saying testosterone doesn't provide an advantage in many sports - we are saying after 2 years of hormone reduction a transgender woman cannot be compared to a cis man in term of how much of a testosterone fueled advantage they retain. And there are sports where testosterone does not grant a notable advantage.

• Advertisement

Gender has quite a bit to do with medicine, science, law and indeed if you were to combine all three disciplines, it becomes a specialised field of study all of it’s own -

https://www.ul.ie/gps/course/sport-exercise-and-performance-psychology-msc

Advertisement