Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30k speed limits for all urban areas on the way

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Mature as always. You're probably a strong advocate for fact checking when any comment doesn't suit your narrative. It gets quite petty when posters insist that I cite radio interviews from over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fascinating how you can say with absolute certainty that it happened numerous times, but can't give any specific example.

I don't really ask people talking about something they heard on the radio to cite it with an example. They would probably look at me as if I had two heads. So, I just take their word for it. Then again, in the fact checking sphere, if it's not on paper, it didn't happen.....how wonderful that we have stooped to this level of granularity. Let's just move on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

All you've proved is he can't to provide a link to such comment, not that it doesn't exist.

Or can't be bothered which is hardly surprising after such pointless harassment.

• Advertisement

Whatevs....dude!

So, anyway, as I said a few pages back, I think variable speed limits should be made for urban areas as well as what will eventually, happen to motorways. Not as fast, of course!

So did you hear any of the numerous interviews yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Because he can't give any details.

That's how adult discussions usually work, if you make a specific claim, you back it up with facts.

Or maybe I should just say that I heard it on a radio interview.

Nagging someone incessantly is not adult anything.

He can't back it up. Move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Just because something isn’t backed up doesn’t mean it isn’t true, or didn’t happen.

I’ll ask again. How do you know it didn’t happen?

I’ll answer it again. Because he can’t give any details.

How do you know that the Pope didn’t announce that he was leaving the Church to marry his favourite archbishop?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Modelling carried out in the UK on 20 vs 30mph limits has shown that on typical car models, the lower speed limit flattens the acceleration needed for stop/start urban driving, which reduces carbon emissions — and fuel consumption — by a quarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's a little disingenuous to compare a crime that has a victim, to a "crime" that is usually victimless, i.e. exceeding speed limits. The difference should be obvious.

There's a difference between "he can't prove it" and "it didn't happen". One is unsubstantiated, the other is asserting a negative.

Exceeding the speed limit is a victimless crime?

A single occurrence can have multiple victims including kids and each victim can either have minor or extensive life altering injuries or death.

Victimless it ain't

Emphasis on the word "can" ... in reality more like "almost never." In total, according to the most recent estimates, there are only 3.1 fatalities per billion vehicle kilometres drive in Ireland. So, even if every single fatal collision was solely caused by excessive speed (which we know they are now), it would still take 322,580,645 vehicle kilometers before a a fatality is caused.

Now, this is not to suggest that drivers can or should take the piss, but the data are clear in both absolute and relative terms that road safety isn't really a major problem in this country, and the vast majority of drivers aren't a problem for anyone. There is zero road safety case to carpet bomb the country with 30kph speed limits. No case whatsoever.

Of course ... if there is another agenda ... then the drive for widespread 30kph limits makes more sense.

Drivers? Sure they’re great lads all the same. Stop being big meanies and picking on them.

If I had to guess I'd say that driver had stolen the car and was joyriding.

Even if that's not the case, how does it reflect on 2.5 million people? Because when last the RSA published driver licensing statistics, there were 2,563,758 full Category B licenseholders on Irish roads.

http://web.archive.org/web/20200924141228/https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Licence_stats/Full%20Licences%20Current%20on%2031st%20December%202016_%20by%20Licence%20Category%20County.pdf

So how many of those are you falsely accusing of being bad drivers on the basis of the above anecdote? Because the data couldn't be clearer. Irish drivers are generally good, as evidenced by road safety data in both relative and absolute terms. And when you have insane demands for nonsense like carpet bombing the country with 30kph speed limits, we are entitled to ask "is this measure proportionate in this country?"

You are falling into the RSA trap and making a fundamental error in measuring road safety using fatailities as the metric and holding up a low number as an indicator of success.

Expanding on that point, the focus on collisions, regardless of the outcome, is an inherently flawed approach to classifying road safety as it excludes a multitude of other factors and measures.

One simple example, % of people walking / cycling and the historical trending for these figures can tell you a lot more about how the safety of a road has improved /deteriorated or indeed the perception of it by locals.

One of the funniest aspects of the cycling revolution in the Netherlands was that it wasn't the target of the infrastructure improvements there. The drive behind those were driven by the number of pedestrian deaths caused by cars. By making it safer to walk (slowing down cars and reducing their priority) it inadvertently made it a whole lot safer to cycle.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

So after 2030 when only EV sales are permitted will this "Research" which will be used as a wedge to push through lower speed limits be disregarded and rules reversed?

I find it comincal how statistics compiled over previous years for co2 emmissions are being abused and put forward to argue future policy and regulation for road safety.

24.5% of all new cars in Q4 2021 in E.U. were phev or bev. In Ireland in 2021 they were 15.5%

also..."past performance is not indicative of future results"

• Advertisement

There is a certain irony in saying focusing on deaths is flawed then referencing a historical Netherlands that started with a focus on pedestrian deaths specifically children.

Well, that’s all right then. If the joyriders in the stolen car hits or kills someone, we’ll be greatly reassured.

Evidence of dangerous, incompetent driving is such a rarity. The should obviously have more hivis on.

What has a van wedged under a low bridge in Blakestown got to do with this topic. Vans don't generally levitate when driven at speed. Scattergun of whataboutery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Some (predictably) comical examples being posted in here - a van got stuck under a low bridge, hence millions of drivers should be needlessly inconvenienced every day. Jesus wept.

Once again this has never been about safety, it’s about cyclists wanting to be faster than cars (whilst simultaneously irritating motorists). They will deny it and deny it but that’s the prime reason. It’s why the main proponents of this are pretty much always heavily into cycling, it’s not a coincidence.

As SeanW notes above, the safety data simply does not provide a compelling enough reason to warrant such a heavy handed measure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hence millions of drivers should be needlessly inconvenienced every day. Jesus wept.

whatever about AJR's arguments, in urban contexts - which is the context we're talking about here; speed limits are not inconveniencing drivers. other drivers, junctions and traffic lights are. how slow you go on the slow bits has a far greater influence on journey time, than how fast you go on the fast bits. and in this context, 30km/h isn't slow, it's above your average speed.

it’s about cyclists wanting to be faster than cars

That doesn't make any sense. Cyclists aren't slowed by cars or traffic.

Its is more pleasant and safer to cycle (or walk) on roads that aren't congested with traffic. Neither side can make the case for Irish statistic's since we are very bad at collecting meaningful statistics in Ireland. But there is data from other countries. Physics doesn't work differently in Ireland to anywhere else. TBH other countries have done all this stuff. We don't need to re-invent the wheel.

nonsense like carpet bombing the country with 30kph speed limits, we are entitled to ask "is this measure proportionate in this country?"

Works the same in every country.

The problem is our speed limits are nonsensically applied, big roads with low limits, and small roads with high limits with no real reason. Mostly not enforced.

i passed a doozy of one yesterday, bohilla lane which is the road from kilmacanogue over the little sugar loaf to greystones:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1672805,-6.1296246,3a,75y,156.42h,87.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCXFOyWK1IOUeD2njasRYmA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

If you think vans and trucks damaging bridges and crossings is unusual, you have an awful lot to learn. Go back over the Irish Rail Twitter account and see how often services are disrupted by drivers damaging bridges and crossings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Why don’t you go for a nice long cycle? Preferably down the wrong side of a motorway

I’m not saying they’re slowed by cars or traffic, I’m saying if you’re in an urban area and the road isn’t overly congested they want to be able to cycle faster than the car is legally allowed drive. 30kmph is nothing difficult on a bike

Ok.

And what has this got to do with a 30km urban speed limit again?

cyclists want to be able to get from A to B safely and efficiently. the vast majority of them don't really care all that much if a car driver making the same trip does it five minutes faster or slower than them; that's an argument you've concocted in your own head.

What we really should be doing is trying to improve the housing crisis, improve public transport and move more jobs outside city centre in Dublin.

All of those things would really help to remove huge amounts of cars from the streets which is the real goal.

Sadly what we'll get is nonsense speed limits that are not enforced or obeyed while ignoring the big problems

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Who exactly is proposing to "carpet-bomb" the country with 30km/h limits (maybe provide a source please as I've missed it)? As I understand it, the proposal is to set a default limit of 30km/h in urban areas and any increases over that limit need to be justified. What exactly is wrong with that? Surely if a road can safely sustain higher speeds for motorised vehicles then surely there will be no problem.

In terms of the claim that it is cyclists who want to be faster tha cars - what is this based upon? As someone who both drives and cycles (including club cycling), I've not met anyone who has made this claim or anything like it. I'm curious where you're getting your information or are you just making stuff up?

As for safety, most parents won't let their children walk to school never mind cycle. The main reason is a percieved fear for fast moving traffic. We have created a car dependent society and the likes of the nonsense you've posted is simply looking for someone to blame for any attempt to change from that. Why not blame the IPCC because their report is more likely to force a change in our transport structures:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Are people obeying the 50kp/h limits losing control and ending up mowing people down on foot paths theses days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Can’t be done fairly without massive public transport improvements. All well and good if you only need to go in there once in a while by car. Not if you’ve to drive from 50 or 60 miles away for work every day. Nothing will change with congestion and this risk for pedestrians and cyclists until we have proper public transport imo.

It has everything to do with Seanie’s position of drivers being a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Who told you that this is all about cyclists wanting to be able to cycle faster than the car is legally allowed to drive?

This is the multidisciplinary MSc in Sustainable Transport and Mobility at TU Dublin informing the Oireachtas Committee on Transport.

"Overly Congested". Congestion doesn't effect cyclists like that. You're thinking from the perspective of a driver.

Average speed of UK cyclist is around 25kph. Google has it set about 16kph or so. Cyclists speed is mostly constrained by their ability to stop safely and not die.

30kph has no effect on cyclists other than safety. It changes driver behavior not cyclists.

Your username is poorly chosen btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'm actually in favour of 30kph speed limits in built up urban environments where there are lots of pedestrians and cyclists sharing the roads with cars, however, to say that a 30kph speed limit won't affect journey times because average speeds are lower than 30kph is a bit mistaken

The only reason the average speed is slightly below 30kph now, is because drivers can make up for some of the time stopped or crawling along, by travelling at 50kph in the less congested areas. If those areas were all cut to 30kph speed limits, the average speed would be significantly below 30kph and journey times may increase.

The potential upside of this, would be that as cars drive more slowly and uniformly, there might be more opportunities for traffic to merge from side roads and this might reduce congestion in this regard but this would need to be demonstrated or modelled as it could go either way in practice.

You're thinking about this backwards. If you prevent people from doing things they will create demand for alternative choices.

Look at all these places who didn't allow wfh until they had to.

The only reason the average speed is slightly below 30kph now, is because drivers can make up for some of the time stopped or crawling along, by travelling at 50kph in the less congested areas. If those areas were all cut to 30kph speed limits, the average speed would be significantly below 30kph and journey times may increase.

my usual example - DCU to UCD is an 11km trip (and it's an hour or two after rush hour), and at the moment is a 31 minute trip on roads which are 90% set to 50km/h limit. that's an average speed of 21.3km/h - on roads with over double that as a speed limit.

yes, the trip would be slower if the limit was 30km/h, but as the majority if the trip is already made at under 30, the effect won't be nearly as much as people think.

the absolute maximum theoretical difference on an 11km trip - where the driver is able to drive uninterrupted at 50km/h instead of 30km/h (no lights, no traffic, etc) is less than nine minutes. as the driver won't be able to come close to achieving this utopia, i suspect the actual difference would be easily less than half that.

Once again I ask what has this to do with the topic under discussion.

One of the reasons for proposed lower limits on motorways and smart motorways Is that a consistent lower limits actually moves traffic more effectively then speeding up and down.

Ever find it hard to pull out of junction because cars are moving too fast.

You don't drive in isolation. You're limited by other traffic. It's not what moves you faster. It's what moves everyone more efficiently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What is the definition of urban area?

For instance is the Rock Road in Booterstown to Blackrock included as it is urban area?

What about Stillorgan dual carriageway or the Wolfe Tone Quay or Victoria Quay out at Heuston station?

What about Dublin Road out by Parkway shopping centre in Limerick or the Ballysimon Road ?

Is the Lough Atalia Road in Galway part of Galway city that the Chief Superintendent wants to implement as a 30kph zone ?

And we all know why a Garda wants to bring this in and it is because it will be like shooting fish in a barrel for his lads to dish out penalty points and more importantly fines that will make his division and by extension himself look good.

Most people would consider these to be in the cities concerned, but yet they are pretty good roads and critical to moving traffic into and out of the cities.

A 30kph on these roads would be infantile, but we all know how some will go to any lengths to push their agenda.

Remember the clammer by some for a zero drink drive limit that would have your granny over the limit due to her sherry trifle.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

An 18MPH (30kps) speed limit was introduced along the full length of the main road in the Phoenix Park between Castleknock and the Quays. At the same time they have also installed those big spikes in the ground to "protect" cyclists at the same time.

I drove through the park the other night. It's now much much more dangerous. it's scary.

You're now trying to avoid the spikes, traffic coming towards you(also pushed out into the middle of the road by the spikes) and keep your eye on the speedo to make sure your not exceeding the ridicilous speed limit. All the while you're also trying to keep an eye out for deer who are well known for charging across the road in front of you in the dark.

Dedicated cycle paths down parallel to the along the main road about 5meters in from the main road a few years ago. Why don't they force the cyclists to use these cycle pats that was provided for them for their safety, instead of making the park much more dangerous place for everyone else.

The lunatics are well and truly running the asylum.

I've voted Green party every election up to this. I'll be very surprised if they're not wiped out totally in the next election, and they'll have completely brought it on themselves.

Once again, I'm not talking about the effect of congestion on cyclists, I'm talking about the effect of congestion on cars. It makes them go slower. Cars can go faster if there's less congestion to slow them down. If you've clear roads in one of these new 30 zones the cyclist will outspeed the car.

And oh no not my username! Why would you hit me where it hurts like that Flinty, why?!

How infantile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Another one that seriously needs to re think their driving if maintaining speed at a given speed limit is too difficult.

I can understand all sorts of arguments for not wanting the lower speed limit or the wands up the cycle lanes (I personally dislike them as both driver and cyclist) but the argument that "it is too difficult to keep an eye on your speed at 30kmph" just doesn't wash. If you struggle its time to consider alternative modes of transport. Maybe try cycling - the 30kmph limit doesn't apply so one less thing to worry about!

• Advertisement
Advertisement