Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

destinations to cycle to with decent options for bike security

Options
  • 12-03-2022 10:29am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭

my wife is showing much more interest in cycling now she has an e-bike, but is paranoid about leaving it locked as it's quite obviously expensive looking. she'd be far too nervous yet to go into (dublin) city centre, so i was wondering what recommendations people would have for her and other people in her situation about where would be a nice place to visit, but where you'd also be comfortable enough leaving your bike locked for an hour or two.

i'll start with the botanic gardens - she's been there a few times, and the bike rack is reasonably prominent/visible in the car park, and it doesn't seem like a first choice for bike thieves. plus, it's a nice spot to visit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Firstly, don't think the Bots is safe from bicycle thieves, my wife had her bike stolen from the car park a few years ago.

Nowhere in Dublin is totally safe, you need a good strong main lock and fix the bike to something sturdy, then use a looped steel cable to tie the front wheel to the bike.

I'm presuming you live on Dublin's northside so suggest cycling the cycleway in Clontarf out as far as Howth going over the hill if up to it. Another route I take is along the Royal canal as far as the 12th lock or leaving it at Ashtown and going for a cycle in the Pheonix Park. I could suggest going further on country roads but better to stick to the above for now.

You could take the commuter train to Maynooth and cycle the Royal from there. The further out from Dublin you get the less likely the bikes will get stolen but you should still lock them if you intend being out of sight for any length of time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, we've cycled out to howth also, i was glad of being able to shelter behind her e-bike on the way back, into a 40km/h westerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Try the south side of the Sutton-Sandycove coastal route. It's not as contiguous as the north but still a pleasant cycle going as far as Killiney. You could also turn left off the Clontarf cycleway to Portmarnock, Malahide and then follow the back roads west of Swords returning to the city by the back of the airport and Ballymun.

There's always Enniskerry and the Dublin mountains depending on whether you're up to climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

With an ebike you could carry a motorcycle lock on a pannier rack. Assuming the battery is removable it would be an unattractive target?

Remembering my couple of cycles over the years moving my "stationary" lock to new workplaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

If the display unit on your eBike is removable always remove it and take it with you. Same with the battery if its practical. An ebike that needs the battery and display replaced is less attractive to try to sell on than maybe a nice regular hybrid.

Always remember the principle of meeting an angry bear in the woods with your friend. You don't need to be able to outrun the bear. You just need to be able to outrun your friend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Convention Centre has decent bike parking, though it’s not easy to find.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Having worked in the area for close to a decade. Not much of a destination either

Advertisement