Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

They're using the conspiracy theory method on their own population.

Once you believe one lie it becomes easier to believe the rest, eventually. I doubt there's any semblance of reality in these "polls" but they are fed to the populace to give the impression that these are popular ideas. Those who have bought into the initial lie of the "special operation" then any others that follow will be believed if repeated enough.

Russians will be looking around with suspicion for who actually supports this and others will be actively looking to see who's against it. They'll pit their own population against itself to justify it's needs. There's nothing new here, Putin's rhetoric about weeding out those who don't support it ring true with this type of propaganda. Those who want to believe the lies will soon be calling the police about their neighbours who are subversive or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Bayonet way you casually suggest Israel should just destroy Russian forces LOL absolute madness. Israel is tiny .

Yet they have defended and beaten combined military armies in the region who at the time were heavily backed by Russia,

How many forces do you actually think they have in Syria ,and could beat Israel

Delusional -true colors in red white and blue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

How they are ahead exactly? All help Ukrainians in Poland are getting comes from normal people, Polish and foreign volunteers paying for everything themselves. Also from a big group of Ukrainian workers already in Poland.

What did they do exactly?

Ah, they wanted to give MiGs but bad Americans didn't agree (BTW it was to be at their cost, they would have to supply F-16 to Poland and take all the blame for sending MiGs).

Ah, we wanted peaceful mission but bad NATO and EU didn't agree.

I am really surprised that some people are buying it. Words costs nothing. Even there are polish citizens blocking trucks at Belarus border. Government has no will to stop them.

So give me one example what did they do? They even tried to add (in legislation concerning help for Ukraine) a point releasing them from responsibility of any wrongdoing earlier. And believe me they screw our nation a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

For sure the last thing the countries backing Ukraine is seeing pictures coming out from there showing Ukrainian military doing stuff like that. Just might mean some countries might pull support from them. There winning the propaganda war by far so they don't need to be doing stuff like this and for sure there will be atrocities committed when soldiers are taken I say thats a given now on both sides. How bad it gets will tell longer this goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

There is also a reply in this thread showing videos of people being punished by being bound to street posts and whipped/hit.

I won't link it here.

One side is saying they're looters of vacant houses.

The other side is saying it's the Nazis doing what Nazis do to people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And you are underestimating two factors - 1) the many close family ties between Ukrainian & Russian citizens and 2) the power of modern social media. Both these influences may be suppressed temporarily by the Russian state for the moment but the reality of this invasion will come out sooner or later.

Putin's administration has over reached and is going to be very damaged, no matter what happens. Gone too far and done too much damage both to neighbouring state and their own economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You are trying to divert from the fact It's their threat assessment that is important. Two nations bordering Russia believe Putin is bluffing about using nuclear weapons, A former Russian foreign minister believes Putin is bluffing - and not only that, but believes not taking action now is likely to lead to WW3, not prevent it - the very thing you think can't be risked no matter what the calibre of those assessing the threat. Gary Kasparov believes Putin is bluffing, and General Wes Clark, former commander of NATO believes Putin is bluffing.

We got to this point because Putin has tested the world's tollerance for intervention and it's responses multiple times and found them so high, and them so weak, he might well be lead to believe that there is literally no red line, if he wins - even attacking a NATO country - so he can do anything and there will not be a meaningful response because the world's fear of his big stick is like yours, totally paralysing.

This is likely what Clark, Kasparov and Kozyrez are vehemently warning that Putin must not be allowed to win. They understand that this will likely lead him to believe he can literally consume any Baltic or Balkan state he likes, NATO or not, and that NATO will balk and not respond out of fear of starting WW3.

These people understand that though Putin miscalculated Ukraine's strength and the level of sanctions, a win would confirm his core notion that the west's fear of his nukes is total and the west might as well not have theirs as they would never use them. He's proven he can miscalculate badly so they realise that inaction will likely lead him to make a far more dangerous miscalculation that does lead to WW3.

Cowardice will not prevent WW3, it will cause it.

“The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.”

― Albert Einstein

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭html6

https://twitter.com/most_ks_ua/status/1505867793413070856?cxt=HHwWkICzkfOx9eUpAAAA

Reports civilians protesting in Kherson have been killed.

For me that's a red flag. If NATO or the EU or any other army want to go into Ukraine on the Ukrainian side I wouldn't hold them back. Nukes or no nukes.

You are using Kremlin bot language about populists and nationalists etc etc.

And I am not using any Kremlin language. I am using normal language to describe, who they are. Now trying to pretend they are someone else...

What about rest of Europes Goverments,are they the same,Einstein

• Advertisement

They are at least Team players and don't endanger the situation with their reckless actions....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, I don't think it has even the dawned on them the scale of what their criminal regime has inflicted on their next door neighbour - they have gone so far down the rabbit hole of state propaganda, lies and brainwashing that they think it's just some tactical manoeuvre to secure Russia's ongoing defence.

I do think think though Ukraine will emerge victorious and the new Ukraine will be an even better version of what went before. Think of all the goodwill from around the world towards them and the countries that want to help them. It's good to hear too that the EU and others are planning on seizing the foreign assets of the Russian criminal regime to pay for the rebuilding of Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭briany

I wouldn't disagree with NATO or a joint EU force going into Ukraine on the basis of civilians being shot, but they're probably not going to. However, if the Russians decide to start using sarin gas or some other toxic agent, I think public pressure for western militaries to act decisively may become too much to bear.

The above gives us an idea of what a chemical attack entails. Do not read if of a sensitive nature.

Reported Russian losses ,if true definitely some of the worse losses of any (supposedly)modern army in recent times

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We get that you are not supportive of the Polish Government. There is no need to repeatedly say that throughout the thread. The thread is about Russia and in particular it's attack on Ukraine, not a soapbox for anti Polish government sentiment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭briany

That 15,000 troops figure would surely be the far end of the scale I've seen so far and something I'd take with a fair pinch of salt. That said, reading between the lines of the various estimates out there, the picture is undoubtedly that this is a pretty costly war vs. what casualties modern militaries would be used to taking in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Similar to Irish/English close ties etc? Or the fact that English people currently live in a free society where they could educate themselves?

Again you're giving humanity too much credit. Countries write their own history and we, the sheepish masses tend to swallow it whole and move on.

That's even more the case in a highly sensored, authoritarian state like Russia. So I won't be holding my breath for the average Russian to realise they're the bad guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭html6

Yes chemical attack is a big no no. The west will give them some time(not too much) to respond and if there is no clear evidence to the contrary then they will have to move.

With regards to the tweet above does anybody know if that was a live grenade or was it a stun grenade.

I am in no way anti-russian. Right now their government, military and public are digging a big f@@king hole for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

And IMO so they should be winning the propaganda war, they are the ones who have been invaded for no justification at all, and are seeing the horror of their homes, hospitals, ect being bombed out of it, killing countless civilians.

But my worry is that this is going to take its toll on the population of Ukraine, maybe within the military or civilains. And their will be some who will only want revenge for whats happening, unfortunately it may lead to revenge atrocities committed from the Ukraine side.

Anything that does happen will be played down by the Ukrainian side but more than likely be used by the Russians as proof for why they needed to invade in the first place. (Which of course would be ludicrous, but I think its what we may see as things pan out)

There's videos doing the rounds of Russian military buses passing into Belarus supposedly Carrying dead soldiers 10 or 20 buses at a time and usually only seen late at night,

We know senior officers are being confirmed killed but no acknowledgment of the soldiers fighting along side them

• Advertisement

The Russians have already lost the propaganda war. There is virtually nothing the Ukrainians could do to make public opinion switch to "there are two sides to this argument" or "they are nearly as bad as the Russians". They were a neutral and peaceful country and violently attacked and invaded by a country that is three times bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I fear the plucky memes of tanks being dragged away by tractors and grannies making Molotov cocktails will be overshadowed by what is ongoing and what is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Russian soldiers opened fire on protesters in Kherson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

Looks to be true unfortunately. MilitaryLand dot net have vids which I'd rather not post. What a way to win Hearts and Minds.

We're already into a Bloody Sunday type scenario then and a blatant war crime. This will go down very badly in all the western countries.....opening fire on innocent civilians is a big 'no no'.

How many Russians know about the Holodomor? Just using that example because it should be the easiest for a lot to know about in this context. How many of those who have heard of it have any clue of the scale and how of how deliberate it was? Because it really seems like Russians only react to bad things with a shrug.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

He said they could, not should, and he's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

How long will world stand by and watch these atrocities ?

Einstein said that in 1953 - when nuclear MAD was not... assured, this only came later when ICBM subs ensured neither Russia or the USA could have their retaliation strike ruled out. So, we don't live in the same World as Albert was talking about.

I have no doubt Putin has got a shock, how could he not? Would he be emboldened to take Moldova - possibly, would he resort to Nuclear strikes if attacked by NATO, I'd say a good chance of it. Whether he strikes a Nato country with nuclear weapons is less likely. But, it cannot be ruled out - if Putin fires even a small tactical nuke into Ukraine, will NATO launch a preemptive strike, hoping they have all Russian subs etc taken out (you'll notice they seem to be trying to monitor them). They'd also need to carpet bomb Russia to take out mobile nuclear weapons. Can you honestly say this scenario is craven Chicken Little thinking?

I think it less likely for Russia to hobble to victory in Ukraine and decide on world domination than a nuclear conflict happening if NATO get involved. You have it the other way around - fine. You call that cowardice - fine, I'll still be on the side of mitigating the risk to 8 billion people. And I don't buy into the argument, 'if there's nuclear war so be it, it'll be what humanity deserves' - I don't think it was you that said this, but it was expressed in this thread by those advocating a NATO intervention.

If Poland, and other non nuclear countries enter Ukraine, that's less of a risk (but not entirely removed) and I'd wish them well.

We know that Hitler (I don't think you'd disagree with this) would have used nuclear weapons if he had the capability*. Are you risking Putin is not that psycho - that's a risk not worth taking imo.

*someone answered that Hitler wouldn't have had the loyalty even if he had the weapons. That's irrelevant (possibly not even true), he would have used them if he could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

The absolute refusal of western powers to send in troops to assist Ukraine will come back to haunt them in my opinion. The longer this goes on, the more brutal Putin will get, and it would not surprise me if we do see a chemical attack at some point.

If that point comes, and NATO or other independent countries with military capabilities refuse to enter into this, then ideals that western countries base themselves on, will come crashing down around them.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement