Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

Watch out for taxi drivers there fecks for putting on there indicators and then changing there mind.

It happen me at lidl was trying to turn right a taxi driver comes along indicating he was turning left into the lidl but keep going straight with his left indicator still blinking.I think he was hoping I drive out in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sure everyone leaving Dublin in the M50 southbound or M4 westbound always sit at 100 on a 120 motorway, plenty of people driving slow. Just as many speeding around the place in urban areas.

Only EV related drivers I've seen taking the piss driving slow are Prius taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Once it went mainstream the amount of poorly driven ev’s became very noticeable. That had a knock on effect of increased inconsiderateness at chargers.

I appreciate that in the early days there were less ev’s to see but now they just blend in with all the other pr**ks who don’t indicate, tailgate, break chevrons, overtake on solid white lines and all the other things that break the golden rule of not being a dick.

Drove from Carlow to Shannon to West Clare in the Tour 5, 77 Kwh id3, went to Ennis fast charger, it was down, went to AC point for 35 mins and got around 7.5 Kwh, Got all this distance before charging in Ennis and had 45% battery left before plugging in.

From Carlow - M7 I drove 80-100 Km/Hr, then 120 all the way as much as possible to Shannon with some 130 stints and the limit the rest of the way.

Anyway, I didn't need to charge in Ennis but wanted some extra juice because I wasn't sure what driving I'd be doing over the weekend but it's likely I will have to rely entirely on AC points for topping up, being able to use the granny charger is a big +.

It's when you're far from home you really realise how absolutely terrible the Public charging infrastructure is in Ireland, when you need it it lets you down or just doesn't exist. When the fast chargers are down, it's mad in 2022 we still have only a single DC point in most places in Ireland, absolutely disgraceful.

I am absolutely delighted I got the 77 Kwh battery, the difference is just amazing and means I have to rely a lot less on the public infrastructure.

On the way down the Obama plaza had 1 EV charging and 1 waiting, we stopped in because the lads were getting hungry, I wouldn't have bothered plugging in at around 75% anyway, again, only 1 single charger in a busy motorway service station, The same car was still charging by the time we left. it's beyond a joke at this stage.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Will Front Assist in this car bring the car to a complete stop rather than letting it collide with a car in front? Can’t find an answer to this in the onboard manual and don’t want to test it out for obvious reasons. From what I have seen of it’s behaviour, it doesn’t seem like it would.

i know it will stop the car if ACC is on, but what if it’s not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Only ever experienced the car stopping me to a dead stop in a car park where the sensor freaked out for some reason, I was going super super slow, but the brake just enagged and I stopped dead. Not sure if thats what you were asking, but like you not willing to try it out :)

With travel assist it is 100% capable of bringing the car to a stop, it does for me all the time on the gridlocked N7, however, you need to pay 100% attention all the time in traffic situations like this because if the car 2 or 3 cars in front locks up the brakes your car can't detect this as it can only see the car in front and in this situation you will rear end the car in front as the laws of physics still apply, if there isn't time to stop no computer can stop the car but the key difference in this situation is that you can see the brake lights come on 2 or 3 cars ahead and it's up to you to take over if you think the car won't stop. But for most situations my tour 5 can bring the car to a complete stop in most situations. I don't think any car with similar systems can stop the car in time in a situation where the cars ahead lock up the brakes.

There's no reason to think an id3 with Adaptive cruise can not bring the car to a complete stop but others here who haven't got travel assist should be able to tell you.

If you can set a larger gap then this works better as it gives the car more time to think, but on the N7 this really annoys people, even setting it to minimum distance to the car in front can upset some drivers as if leaving a couple of spaces in N7 rush hour is going to make a difference.

Sorry, I should have been clearer: will front assist on its own (with no travel assist and ACC turned off) bring the car to a complete stop if it senses a collision? I know it slows the car. But it doesn’t seem like it will stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It should in as that is what it was tested for but like everything you shouldn't rely on the car to stop for you and it should be you pressing the brake at all times. They are aids to help in an emergency situation and not installed in car so you can just let the car do the braking for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

And it seems to be getting worse. I drove to three different chargers in Dundalk today. One was giving an error message on screen, the other seemed OK but when plugged in was not charging, no maintenance and only gonna get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Do you not have a hybrid? If so then no need to stop and just top up at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The short answer is no, it wont.

It will try, particularly if it "sees" it in time, but its not meant to substitute for the driver.

Put another way, you wont be standing in front of a judge saying "Well, your honor, the car had front assist but it still crashed, therefore its VW's fault!"

😀

No absolutely not! If the system isn't engaged in the first place then no it won't work.

The car can't detect a collision, even with ACC engaged, only with ACC on and if the car in front slows down and if it slows down in time for the id3 to react then the car will come to a complete stop but only if adaptive cruise is activated.

If I remember correctly I've seen videos where the id3 will brake if it detects you are going to hit a pedestrian at a crossing for example and I have had situations like this where the car seems to brake itself at a crossing or traffic controlled pedestrian crossing, but I've never thought the car would brake itself with ACC off.

I just wanted to know if it does attempt to stop the car. I never had any intention of relying on it to do so.

We stopped in Lahinch today and tried to use the fast charger, nope, 1 car there charging and 1 waiting, same story on 3 occasions I checked. Really bad situation if someone really needed the charge, it would be a very long wait.

I got to around 60% on the granny charger last night and didn't want to use it again tonight on account of having some gap in the window and it causes a draught, anyway, looks like tomorrow I will get some Kwh from AC points. I have 50% left which the Gom is telling me is good for 250 Kms.

Today I averaged around 14 Kwh/100 Kms on the roads of Clare, it was very mild today, highest temp according to the car was 16 deg C which greatly helped. I can see being able to get 450 Kms or more from the 77 Kwh id3 at that rate in Summer, off the Motorway of course. Saw on one occasion over 10 Kms today 10 Kwh/100 Kms.

If I could get 14 Kwh/100 Kms which seems possible with that kind of driving off the motorway in milder weather then this should give me 550 Kms and if that was the case that would be more range than we got from our old 2000 Honda CRV Petrol.

Hopefully they get to grips with the battery heating sooner rather than later.

Some help, trying to plan a return journey to sligo from Galway, 58kWh ID3. Had planned on charging at a charger at Drumcliff - Yeat's tarven. I checked on my app, its grey, I checked on ESB app - its offline, I checked on ZapMap it was reported working 4min ago. I have no idea how Zap Map gets its info.

I think 100% will just about do the trip, but would like an option to charge that will not leave the other passengers bored, or worse an awful opinion of EV driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

You could charge in Tuam on way back if you need to. Few options there. Charge to 100% and take it handy.

Just read this

Battery Life has his video up now, seems everyone needs to bring their car to the dealer :( I collected mine in Feb :(

Post edited by jogdish on

It will take them months to get through all the cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

it sure will. and there's no start date yet for this to happen beyond 'Q2'.

having watched battery life video i can say it's all good news - better temp control for the battery (would have been handy 5months ago) and (praise be) timed charging is to work. and faster charging for the 58kwh batteries. they're even throwing in a new 12v battery. boom.

i don't understand why this information is coming from a third party though? i'm sure yer man from battery life is sound and all but why is he now in charge of customer information for VW and why would VW allow others to dictate the information that get's released? seems a cack handed way of managing things to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Link to what it does.

My missus had an Ateca with it and got rear ended in slow moving traffic.

The front assist locked up the car before she did. Just avoided the car in front. So without it, she would probably have hit.

Should definitely not be relied upon

For those with a 77kWh ID the 2.4+ software will allow upto 135kW charging rate and they have given some small print around it...

"Charging with a maximum of 135 kW DC charging power for the battery variants Pro and Pro Performance, as well as at an ambient and battery temperature of approx. 23 °C and an initial SOC of approx. 5 percent; e.g. at an IONITY station."

For me in the 58kWh it needed 20°C and ~15% SoC to get the 100kW. I'll be interested to see what it is like with the 2.4 update but the above is very clear info on whats required for the 77kWh variant to hit 135kW.

5% charge % to what ? 10 ? lol, it's meaningless anyway if the charging curve hasn't improved.

Need a way to warm the battery too, from the above it doesn't look like there is an option to preheat or if it's automatic or whether it preheats only when it's plugged in to DC, that will take too long and the SOC will be too high for decent charge current.

Update on our trip in the id3 77 Kwh over the holiday weekend, set off 17 th returned yesterday afternoon 20th.

Carlow to West coast coast of Clare, stopped off in Shannon first, and driving around Clare, total trip unknown, never recorded, id3 makes trip reading difficult without resetting long term. But there was a decent amount of driving around Clare.

Charging was 35 mins on AC in Ennis, as DC was dead.

At Holiday Home granny lead over night to 60%

1 hr 30 mins AC point in Kilkee

On way back 35 mins Obama plaza to 60% got back home 35%

Motorway speeds all the way with some 130 Km/hr stints ( clock speeds )

Fabulous car, and thank God for the 77 Kwh, the extra range is just fantastic but the public charging infrastructure is disgraceful and an embarrassment to the Country and there is not going to be a big improvement any time soon. It's just really great to have so much range to begin with as it greatly cuts down on public charging.

Imagine not even a single ac point at the Cliffs of Moher ?

It would be nice if VW installed a 20 Kw AC charger, I can't imagine they will but if many other countries have 22 KW AC points then this is a tremendous waste of infrastructure, or just replace them with 2 x 20 Kw DC units but I'm not sure if any with CCS and CHaDeMo exist in the one unit ?

Edited to include Shannon stop on way to Ennis, so got from Carlow to Shannon to Ennis and had 35% left, all 120 and 130 Km/hr stints.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

To avail of the future faster speeds, 5% battery is too low. I would be very reluctant to go that low on a journey unless I was sure of Ionity or SuC. Or perhaps AC charging, but that negates the need for speed..

I think most people would think the same, I guess VW think slow charging DC is good in 2022, a 84 kwh battery should in my opinion be able to charge in a much shorter time, perhaps not this one, in my experience fast charging the id3 is a very painful experience when connected to a high power charger its just not worth spending the extra money especially for esb.

maybe the warmer temps in summer might make a difference except when you go to the west where the coverage of hpc is non existent and 50 kW are very rare and only single charger sites, absolute joke the esb.

5% charge % to what ? 10 ?

I think you misunderstand it. What they mean is that to get the peak rate you need to plugin at 5%.

They havent mentioned anything about the charge curve or how long it will provide that peak.

In the same way when you reported getting low rates when you plugged in at 40%.... the same applies here just now you are being told exactly whats required for that battery. You wont get the max rate unless you hit the right battery temp(23°C) AND plugin at a low SoC (5%).

I know what they meant that's why I suggested maybe the peak rate might fall off at around 10%.

At 35% I expect more than 50 Kw in fairness, but got 60KW from Ionity same SOC, not good enough, it's a joke! But temps were around 13 Deg C which won't help.

Forgot to mention I got 2.3 finally.

My id3 will probably get 2.4 in 2023! 😐️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Advertisement