Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The fact that Sexton is so much better that the others is stunning! It's not even close! That in itself, is a problem. When Sexton retires, we could be bolloxed

Healy should be capped in July! If only to keep him away from the Scots. He only took a 1year deal. So, he's keeping that option open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Sexton is a once in a lifetime player. So was BOD. So was POC. To be fair so was ROG.

We have moved on after all of them. We don't need someone better than Sexton. We just need someone who is close to Sexton. After watching the Italy game with Carbery and then Sexton coming in it was remarkable the difference and I am a huge Joey fan. Some people will say Italy started to get tired etc but all rubbish. It was a massive step up.

We have players, we have lots of options. We just need to stop messing around. Carty/Burns/R Byrne at this stage are not the option. They are quality players and in reality would be more than capable against majority of teams Ireland play, but when we come up against the top sides thats the issues and Ireland at this stage are coming up and winning against those teams.

I have watched Sexton a long time, maybe it was 2008 or 2009 when I first seen him play live for Leinster, I have to admit I never seen him celebrate a try like he did the last one yesterday. Even in Cardiff in 2011 when he was right in front of us in stadium after the first try, it was less of a reaction. Still shows he is enjoying his rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭ersatz

You’re right about Carty/Burns/RB not being the answer, but you can add Carbery to that list. He’s been around the team for 6 or 7 years and has never delivered a game that he dominated, he’s solid is about all. People have been waiting on a run of games without injury literally for years and we got it this six nations. He didn’t deliver, absolutely no better than Ross Byrne. I’m really hoping one of the young lads steps up and gets a chance in NZ, otherwise, though the team has lots of promise, we are a sexton injury/form dropping off a 38 year old cliff from a disaster in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

VdF nominated for player of the tournament, other 2 nominees are Dupont and Alldritt. Personally I think Alldritt deserves it, he's a ridiculous player.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This 6N has, IMO, has cemented the fact that Carbery is not the solution.

Against Wales, was only brought on when the game was dead and buried. Played v France because Sexton was injured. Was ok at best. Hauled ashore after 50 minutes against Italy, this was a terrible performance. 30 seconds against England. Brought on at full back yesterday despite Sexton not having one of his better days.

For me, the only difference between Carbery and the other pretenders now is that Carbery is a bit of a sunk cost who has been given the lions share of opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Yes, we're f**ked without Sexton but we're f**ked sticking with him for the W/Cup as well. I feel he's going to leave it too late to exit on a high which is a pity considering all he's done for rugby in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

I'm expecting his body just won't hold until the WC.

It won't be form or a bolter that loses him the Jersey. Come the time, I fully expect that he physically won't be able to play professional rugby due to one last bad injury.

(And hope I don't need to say it but would love to be wrong.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Whether Carbery is the solution depends on the question.

Is he a replacement for Sexton? Absolutely not.

Is he the next best we have? To be honest, I don't know but this 6N seemed to confirm that the coaches definitely think he is. Carbery was decent against France, but still Carty only got two minutes. Even after the Italy game, it was never a possibility that he wouldn't bench in Twickenham. Other guys just aren't on the radar at all.

I know coaches aren't infallible but I just don't understand how Farrell has done a really good job of identifying and fast-tracking talent in every other position but could have this mad blind-spot at out-half. He can't be unaware of Carbery's flaws but still picks him.

So in a way, our biggest issue isn't that we don't have something to compete with Sexton, it's that we don't even have someone to compete with Carbery.

(BTW I really don't think Carbery was hauled ashore against Italy because he was playing badly, IMO it was planned because Sexton needed minutes.)

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

As I said, he's a sunk cost. We have put so much time and effort into him at this stage that we just have to persist, it is too late now to change.

I think being hauled off after 50 minutes in a game at home to Italy is a terrible look and I don't believe for a second that Sexton needed minutes. He was fairly abject in that game, and it was the perfect match for him to show something.

He is an unreliable player, both in terms of his performances and his ability to stay fit. I have a very hard time seeing how he's going to be the answer to any question we have at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,422 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Carbery or whatever out-half we want to move forward with as back up to Sexton needs lots of game experience. That's just an example.

You really don't know how good anybody is until they play alongside starters. There's often a case that two or three players are better together than the sum of the parts and you'll never find that out by only picking the same fifteen.

You wouldn't have given Dan Sheehan a game ever before and wouldn't have gotten that performance against Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Coaches should get a very good idea in training. The problem is that we don’t see that. So it’s us that won’t know until they play in a strong side. That’s the difficult element to us discussing selection and depth because we all know that coaches aren’t infallible but we also don’t have the same info that they have either. So our opinion may be backed up by a certain amount but may also be missing vital info too. It’s why we should all be mindful of taking our opinions too seriously, but at the same time not dismissing them entirely (unless they’re totally nuts).

It absolutely isn't too late to change. We have 18 months and probably 13 or 15 matches before the World Cup. That is loads of time, even assuming Sexton plays a good chunk of them. It took Dan Sheehan about five months to go from uncapped third choice to rivalling for first choice.

The problem is that we have no-one to step up. Carbery is the answer until someone better comes along. We're nearly six years waiting for that someone to emerge. Like, in two posts (correctly) pointing out Carbery's flaws, you haven't named another OH because there isn't one.

We have to put someone in the 22 jersey. Unless we see someone improve significantly soon, that's likely to remain Carbery.

I can't remember who was discussing it recently but the view of giving people minutes as if they are suddenly going to be transformed doesn't really work. Yes some players will get better with minutes but I can't remember a player at international level that has massively surprised everyone at just how good he is after he gets 20 caps. It just doesn't happen.

Hence why I think we are wasting time with Carty. He is always going to be an excellent club player and a good international but not good enough for what Ireland want.

We know we have good young players available. Give them minutes at club level and then international level. Stop faffing around with alternative in the hope at some stage they might surprise you.

Sheehan has been picked out since he was a grasshopper as a player for Ireland. It wasn't a huge surprise he suddenly is giving these performance, he is just fulfilling the promise people seen in him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I think the problem statement for Johnny Sexton's replacement should be:

"Who will be the best placed to steer the team from outhalf in the next World Cup."

To me, the answer to that at the moment is Joey Carbery.

He has shown he is a good goal-kicker, particularly under pressure, and he has a great temperament, he will link well with people around him.

The solution to the overall problem of how does the team adapt to not having Johnny Sexton at out-half, is make the out-half less important to the strategy. There are lots of ways to achieve that, and I think we've probably already seen that going on, decisions being made by other players, calling moves without Sexton's input.

Already a plan in place for that, first receiver now can be multiple players

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Uncapped players who might get a chance to break into the summer tour squad:

Joe McCarthy

Cian Prendergast

Nathan Doak

Ben Healy / Jack Crowley ( who ever plays more for Munster in between)

Niall Murray / Gavin Thornbury

Jack Boyle if Leinster fast track him.

Josh Wycherley

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I have to disagree about Carbery being best placed to steer Ireland through the next World Cup. We've not seen anything from him to suggest he has the skill or ability to function at 10 at a high level. He didn't impress in either starts against France or Italy.

Yes, we're moving away from seeing Sexton as first receiver every time the ball goes beyond a pod of forwards. But we still don't look as good without his influence. Again I'll point to the France and Italy games where.so many promising attacking opportunities were missed because Carbery or whomever was first receivers didn't spot the opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If the summer tour has 5 games as has been suggested then it could be a great opportunity to have a mock World Cup. Keeping the squad reasonably tight numbers wise with a small bit of rotation for the tests and getting a good couple of runs for a weakened team as would happen at group stage, might be the making of the squad.

Would Doak be an option at out half? The idea of Sexton being so old at the rwc is alarming! I can't see him being as effective or good, nevermind his body enduring the physicality of the world cup.

Carberry will most likely travel. He is not good enough at this stage. His durability is questionable too.

There's no easy solution. Nobody is raising the hand and demanding inclusion. I hope that Healy or Crowley start showing their potential. Healy is the kind of 10 that would suit us, imo. As for Carty; RB, Burns and HB they aren't good enough. HB is talented but hasn't shown he can last physically.

Farrell is in a bind here, just like at lh. The players simply aren't there!

If we do that then we have missed a massive opportunity, not just for the WC but for the 2023 6 nations

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

we have a great chance to do the grand slam in next years 6n.

we play our best team available in all those games.

Is there any point for taking Healy, Sexton, Murray and Earls to NZ? Would we be better off including fringe players and some lads playing well for the provinces?

An opportunity is calling for someone like Carberry or Ben Healy. What better place to earn the caps than NZ.

I would like to see one of the tests with a side that is green, so to speak. Maybe starts for Lowry, Hume and Ben Healy in the backs and a pack with Timoney, Coombes and T.O.T starting.

I think players like Prendergast and Kendellen should travel. If the squadvis to be 40 or so, then I think there could be 6 or 7 new players included.

Not uncapped but I'd love to see Marty Moore get a recall. He's a good prop who's starting regularly for his province, needs to come in from the cold.

Likewise I'd love to see Jack McGrath stake a claim in the coming months by showing he's recovered from his nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There is a point to bringing them if they are likely to be in the WC squad. Otherwise it’s just handing out caps to people that aren’t getting time with people like Sexton on tour. Now Healy and Earls may well miss out on the WC but the other two will be picked if they are fit, so not bringing them would be pointless. Endless lists of players who should be looked at are pointless, those players have to muscle their way into the starting 15 for their provinces and earn the look at, not be given it because everyone is keen for the next shiny thing to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The other options are either less experienced or unproven.

So with 18 months to go we have to make a decision now and stick with it, so at this present time the only option is Carbery realistically.

If you want to go down the route of starting from scratch and finding another player then it's about as risky if not more risky than just sticking with Carbery.

If there were another player that was clearly better than Carbery then the situation would be different.

The end of season schedule is 28th May Heineken Cup Final, the 3 weeks following are the URC playoffs, then 2 weeks of a gap to the 2nd July for the first test against New Zealand.

The logistics and team selection for that test might be a bit difficult to settle if any of the provinces go far in either or both competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Personally I'm not sure there's much difference between Carberry and Sexton, at this stage.

Our attack looked weak against England with 14 men and, again against Scotland. We did alright against France with Carberry. The issue for me is Lowe is not as good as Hanson at loop plays, other than that I don't think 10 matters too much in this system. Sexton makes plenty of mistakes, but it seems that guys here are blind to the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Who else always skips comments where you see "Sexton", "Carberry", "Byrne", "Carty" etc ?

Who else posts, expecting people to see what they themselves admit to not reading? Note, I've left context out of this so you'd read it :D

Our attack looked weak? we scored 4 tries. Probably left another 2-3 on the pitch. Mostly from offloads at the wrong time or poor passing. Also the disallowed try for Doris could have gone either way.

Ireland scored the most tries, conceded the least tries. Had try bonus points in every match apart from France away. F**k me if our attack looks weak what are the other nations at?

• Advertisement

It basically looked the same with Carbery as it did with Sexton, unless there's other issues people are slating Carberry for? Have a look at the previous posts for context.

Advertisement