Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Gametime and performances should come with your province. Not at the cost of international games. Carberry has got plenty of gametime and failed to use it. As have Burns, Carty and to a lesser extent Byrne. It hasn’t made any of them a viable option to take over from Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It absolutely didn’t look the same. We were far more effective with Sexton at 10. The difference in the Italy game was almost night and day. And that’s the most direct comparison that we have. Carbery simply doesn’t run things as well as Sexton. And that’s probably to be expected. He’s got far less experience and his last few seasons have been badly hit by injuries.

I wouldn’t be as quick to write him off as others as I think elements of his game can improve with a good run of games, e.g. staying square, getting his positioning off pods right etc. If he’s able to address some of those issues and build some confidence off that then he could be a good option at 10. But he’s going to need games (in red mainly as there’s more time available there) to show he’s addressing that stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Are we really that much surprised that shooter sees things differently than is plain to see by everyone else?

Anyone who thinks that carbery brought the very same to our game plan as Sexton clearly doesn't know what to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Or here's a thought.....maybe Italy were knackered after playing the game up until then with 13 men?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I watched all the games, rewatched a few. No it didn't look the same. No point looking back over previous posts to be honest. Please note I am a huge Carbery fan as well so I am not in for slagging off players.

I just think he is a good 10 but a great 15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I can find one instance in 6N history of a team scoring more that 24 tries in a tournament and that was England all the way back in 2001. But our "attack looks weak" apparently. Just utterly embarrassing nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Well then. what's all the complaining about Carberry about then? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

With all the hype about Sheehan has it occurred to anyone that the fall in performance of the front row could in part be due to Sheehan being a weaker scrumager than Kelliher?

Currently all the blame is either the ref, or Healy, or Kilcoyne. Opinions welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

not if you listen to the likes of jackman and wood.

Both said that the English targeted Sheehan by pulling healy out and giving sinckler that alley to drive on the angle onto Sheehan.

Like most things in rugby though, its a systems problem rather that on particular persons error.

• Advertisement

A lot of the podcast/etc I have listened to all mentioned that Sheehan could be part of the problem. Plus his height might be an issue for Furlong etc who are not used to been with him in front row like they are with Kelliher.

Sinklar, Genge and George have been around the block a lot longer than Sheehan. Especially George who a few picked out as maybe he should be getting a lot more praise than everyone who focused on Genge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

His inability to do anything positive v 14/13 man Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

He needs to somehow stay fit for the next 18 months and get 15+ starts between Munster & Ireland to iron out these problems, unfortunately I wouldn't put money on it.

And they just happened to go from not knackered to knackered at the very moment Sexton came on? Some coincidence that.

That’s the big concern all right. Fingers crossed he can stay fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Not disputing that they must be starting in the provinces, but that would nullify Baird.

Prendergast is brilliant. He's going to break into the squad soon.

Timoney needs an opportunity.

I'd be inclined to bring one of Loughman or Dooley. Loughman, I don't know much about. If he can scrum, he's in with a shout! Kilcoyne can't scrummage and is a liability at scrum time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Nope. Carbery had a shocker in a game were it was all set up for him to pull the strings with acres of space to exploit

Sexton came on an instantly did what carbery failed to do and that's a huge issue

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Who are our options to bring as back up props for the Summer tour? At loosehead bringing both Healy and Kilcoyne isn’t the way to go. Loughman and Dooley as mentioned above are 2 options and Josh Whycherley and Jack Boyle are 2 younger options if they can get game time with their provinces and impress. At tighthead, Tom O’Toole travels if fit. Is Bealham at a high enough level do people think? Could Marty Moore be brought in as someone mentioned? Any younger option here, maybe Knox or Tom Clarkson? I think these positions are very important for Ireland going forward and we must develop players in these positions so they are more than capable of performing at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Ah come on, he didn't have a shocker. He was perfectly adequate, he just didn't put them to the sword like we would have wanted him to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

But this is again just lists of players, you name 2 backrows who are playing very well and I’m sure will be looked at but our backrow is functioning well and we have depth there, these players will struggle to get into squads not because of them not being very good but because they are behind others that are playing very well for province and country. If everyone that people on boards want looked at were to be looked at we’d have a pile of changes and no continuity. The team is going well and the squad is progressing nicely too, there are some obvious issues at depth for props and at 10 but throwing lads in where we have depth just because they are playing well doesn’t really push us on at all.

To be fair if you had played the majority of the game with 13 players and then looked over to watch a sub like Sexton coming on I am sure a few players said "aahhhhhh F******K "

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

We had a ton (exaggeration) of scoring opportunities when Carbery was playing but others butchered them with dropped balls, miss passes, etc. Most here would agree Carbery is not as good as Sexton, equally, he's not as bad as some here paint him to be. But then giving him 20 seconds in a game will never do his confidence any good, other than adding to his caps what use is it to the player or the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We spent most of the game moving from side to side making no yards. You can paint it anyway you want, that changed as soon Sexton came on. So other people dropping the ball wasn’t the issue. It was like we were playing a completely different game plan once Sexton came on.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's not that much time, when you consider that Sexton is going to play the overwhelming majority of minutes. That time is 1 summer tour, an AI series and a 6N.

Realistically, this summer tour to NZ is absolutely vital. Right now, the only viable choice to play here is Carbery, since nobody else has anywhere near the same experience to go on that tour and get a proper lash at it.

Does anyone really think if any of the other players were to absolutely tear it up between now and the end of the season that they'd have any chance whatsoever of going on the summer tour ahead of Carbery? No way.

It's too late. We've made our bed, so now we get to lie in it.

Yeah I don’t think Carbery was terrible against Italy. But he didn’t do his cause much good at the same time. He was pretty average against a poor side who were down 2 men. A few of the issues I saw I’d be hopeful are fixable ones. He was turned towards the ruck and static at first receiver a good bit. He’d then pivot his entire body in order to pass but not move at all while doing it. So it was clear he was just shovelling it on and was taking an extra half second out of things by having to pivot to give the pass. Other times he was too deep behind the pod of forwards or up on top of them, ultimately taking himself or others out of the game.

I’d be hopeful things like that can be fixed with game time. The one thing he’s been missing. If he can sort that stuff then there have been signs that he’s well able to slot into the structure we’re working with. Our big problem now is, what if he can get the game time and not show the requisite improvements? We’re short on time, even shorter on options and we’re reliant on a guy who has spent more time injured than fit the last few years getting a run of games to iron out issues. It is far from an ideal scenario.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That is one seriously low bar you are displaying there.

We're about 1 step above "he knew which direction to run with the ball" here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I swear Carbery will be on 50 caps, having still shown nothing, and people will still be like "ah he just needs game time"

As if he hasn't been given starts against Japan, USA, Argentina, France and Italy in the last year and bar an 'ok' game in one, shown very little. He doesn't attack the gainline, crabs across the pitch and fades off passes.

It's time to cut our losses and move on. Carty, R.Byrne and Healy have all been performing at a much higher standard for their provinces this season.

Personally, I like the look of Ben Healy. He's a big strong lad, has a certain cockyness about him without being arrogant. And he's been Munster's best performing 10 this season. He's got a glorious pass off either hand and his attacking game has really come on this season (watch the Wasps game in January). He has an absolute cannon of a boot and can launch it off either foot. His decision making on the gainline is superb.

I'd definitely give him starts against the Maori anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I might have this wrong but mins/tries/mins per try for the two 10s:

Sexton: 245 mins, 15 tries, try every 16.33 mins

Carbery: 155 mins, 9 tries, try every 17.22 mins

So very similar in that respect, the scoring rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

You're now up to four posts berating Carbery without suggesting an alternative. That's the problem that Andy Farrell has too.

I'm not making any great claims for Carbery's display against Italy but he did not have a shocker, by any stretch.

Advertisement