Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Seemed like a team you might see in the second league game rather than the second last. Maybe injuries/required rest dictated it, but there were far too many players with question marks selected.

The result was probably as expected. The fact that we probably should have won it is possibly more of a reflection of where Tyrone are than ourselves.

On the positives:

I think Byrne has settled the nerves a fair bit in terms of being a decent 2nd keeper.

O'Shea played the sweeper role decently.

Keegan looks like he's loosing the winter arse week by week.

Flynn and Ruane are really showing themselves to be a very strong midfield. Have been very impressed and I like that Loftus is there to add something different if needed.

DOC back is a great boost. I can see cases being made for Orme, Boland, Towey but you would just want one of the three starting in a stronger team. Orme is the standout of the three for me, a very intelligent player but I think he needs another year or two before he's added some strength to really see the best of him, but he's smart enough to get by without it for now.

One of the things that annoyed me most was a small thing, but is the type of thing that will cost us in a big game. Towey had a 45 in the first half, it was never making it against that wind... We had nobody anticipating it at all. 2-3 similar scenarios in the second half where we had frees and failed to anticipate an opportunity of a break etc. That comes from a lack of cutting edge on the field and sideline imo. Basic stuff that will cost us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I don't get the "don't want to be in the league final" at all.

Galway will be more than likely playing in their Divisions final.

I get that there may be different levels of desire to be in the final... but I think any manager would snap your hand off for a big competitive game a fortnight before Championship. Perfect opportunity to give some real experience to the newer guys if needing to protect others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's hard to know really.

Back in the day when there was a huge gap between the last league game and the first championship game getting to the final gave you a extra game to fill that gap.

But you could look at it this way from a Mayo management perspective.

They have secured Div 1 status.

They had played various combination of players up to this point and yesterday was the last chance really to have a look at some players against a top team that would be motivated and it was away from home.

Plus the league final is still achievable given that they still owen the head to head v Armagh the other team really challenging for the final place.

So overall it was a game Mayo did not target, and not targeting certain games is something that every team does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I think it’s fairly obvious with the players selected , the players left out completely and even the subs we didn’t bring on that Horan had different priorities this week. And maybe next again .

it’s a different season this year.

If he went full tilt last night and we picked up more injuries people would be giving out as well.

i do think we need to beat Kildare though to get momentum back. And I don’t see how we don’t qualify for league final if we do win. Which I honestly don’t think we want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Yeah, it's hard not to be frustrated and disappointed based on that performance.

But then you think back to the start of the league, and many were saying once we've secured our Div 1 status, we can experiment and not care about results - maybe that's what's going on?

Without knowing the motivations and training schedule of the panel, its very hard to judge the relevance of the performance.

Certainly have to beat Kildare, going into a Connacht championship with three losses in a row (possibly four if they get to and lose a league final) is not the way to be carrying on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Anyone hear that Cillian O'Connor has had a set back in his recovery or another injury? I've been very skeptical about seeing him this season anyway, but if it's true the recovery isn't on track, then we can definitely count him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

We absolutely should have gone full tilt last night, and lets face it, players will generally play as best they can on each game. Last night was the worst load of shambles witnessed in the last number of years. Yes Horan may have "saved" some players for later on, however Stevie wonder can see that apart from the starting 15 sweet FA is being done to develop the rest of the squat. They looked like headless chickens out there. No team is looking to lose players in the league, but every other team is looking to be competitive in it. Last night was an embarrassment. At one stage I saw we were on zero points with 22 mins gone..don't think we even took a shot at that stage- was that in effort to save the. Players? If I were Horan and had a game plan I'd be dropping lads like they were hot..and If I were Horan and HAD a game plan, I'd be calling rockford.- or someone else with the ability to pull a strategy from their an()s

Tyrone bet us in our very last meeting. We had pride to play for. A statement that says Tyrone bet us in the final because we had an off day.... A fluke.... Not to be repeated... But no, we fed into the narrative that yes, indeed Tyrone are the superior team and for 2 years running. Any statement that Tyrone had something to play for and mayo didn't is overstating.very disappointed that a seasoned supporter such as yourself could excuse this performance so readily.

• Advertisement

Dunno, I presume. We have to beat Kildare to make final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yes heard that tonight and that is devastating news for our chances this year

Another year ticks by for him and a few others :(

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Ah come on. Yesterday was a write off but how can you say nothing is being done to develop the wider squad? Fairly sure we have blooded more new players than anyone else.

We had plenty of crap performances in the league under Rochford despite all his strategies.

They can lose to Kildare but still make the final if

They lose to Kildare by less than 3

Donegal beat Armagh by more than 8 but less than 14.

And if Tyrone beat Kerry they do so by less than 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If Armagh beat Donegal, and that is highly possible with the game in Letterkenny where Donegal have a terrible record, that would leave Armagh on 9 points, so Mayo would need to beat Kildare to make the final. If both Armagh and Mayo end up on 9 points, score difference would not come into it. Mayo would go through on the head to head rule. I may be wrong Fr but that is my read on it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Everything you've said is correct, Tod was just giving the specific scenario in which we can still go through with a loss against Kildare so nothing there contradicts with yours. It's painfully detailed to go through with a loss as any of Armagh, Kildare, Donegal, Tyrone or Mayo could come out on top in score difference if the group all finished on 7 points.

I'll happily take the L and missing out on the final if we could see Tyrone put up enough of a win on Kerry to pip everyone to that final spot. That'd be a hell of a fun final day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I think it`s all academic tbh. If Mayo are interested in making the final, (and I cannot see Horan wanting to go into the championship on the back of 3 consecutive league defeats) then Mayo will beat Kildare. Kildare will put up a fight with them staring at relegation, but if Mayo are serious about making the final, then I can only see one outcome.

Correct, I was only describing a situation where Mayo could go into a game v Galway with four losses on the trot.

As for the Tyrone v Kerry thing I disagree.

Tyrone are capable of getting to a league final and not giving a toss about it.

Yea it's really simple for Mayo.

Win and they are in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Massive difference in playing for pride and actually playing to stay in Div 1 IMO. I don't think that game will have any impact come championship. Its the league, we played a reasonably experimental side. Very few teams have the ability or strength in depth to go balls out for a full season

I think that game gave us plenty to work on

Beat Kildare and we're definitely in the final. Lose and we're almost definitely not, lose by three or more and we can't be there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Watched the match back, it was grim stuff. I know we were missing a few but the lack of movement up front was terrible, no sign of a style of play whatsoever. Doc, Orme and Towey didn't even have a wide between them - Towey at least had an attempt blocked down and a bad kick dropped short from a mark. We don't seem to have learned much from the AIF last year.

I think playing Kildare next week will suit us, they'll play reasonably open and if we pick something close to our championship team, we'll win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Are we talking set-back here & championship is still a possibility or actual significantly longer absence re: Cillian O’Connor

Yea I actually think it's a good thing that we went out and lost. Dunno why we didn't try that strategy before. All we really needed was no game plan, and forwards that were unwilling to take shots and favoured recycling. I can't think of a single reason we would want to instill a culture of high performance, accountability, and build habit of winning. I don't know how that would help us win a final,(or get to one) I'm delighted that Tyrone have given us something to work on, it really is the finding that was needed in James Horans 8 th year in charge that will transform the mayo team. Maybe now James will see that Tyrone are committed to a methodology that the have recently employed over the last 15 years (which is really recent, and not suggestive at all that its engrained in their game play).

Sorry, worded that poorly. I'm not suggesting the Kerry Tyrone final would be a good day.

Purely the hilarity of seeing both Armagh and ourselves missing out at the finish line when so close, Kildare thinking they briefly have a chance if they're up by enough on us and them suddenly hearing Tyrone are charging through and taking the spot with a ludicrous scoreline against Kerry. It'd be one hell of an hilarious Sunday watching all that pan out.

Look I'm only giving my opinion on what I see happening

Listened to the Football Pod this morning, I think James O'Donoghue has brought that on this year replacing Andy. This is what they had to say about Mayo and the league.

PA: "In my experience of them they're not arsed with the league"

JOD: "He couldn't think of anything worse than making that league final"; "If they were up he'd have taken everyone off, he'd have finished the game with 13 just to make sure they lost that game"

They did both say they thought it would have been good for Mayo to beat Tyrone and play in the league final, that a league final two weeks before championship would be ideal but both agreed it was obvious that wasn't a priority and that Horan probably had a plan at the start of the league to play certain players and would stick to the plan whether they won or lost the first four games and that you couldn't really argue with him given that he had found some new players and stayed up and were still one win away from a league final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Well whatever else we have to worry about, surely the pitch won't be one of them given the weather we're having!

Hasn't been a lot of growth for the last month. Its a full reseed AFAIK, it'll be some achievement by the grounds men if they can have the pitch ready and in a state that it won't just plough up when lads are on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Mayo news reporting today that it's "increasingly likely" that the game will be played in Castlebar. Seems the Connacht council need to give it the green light still though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Any parking recommendations for Sunday?

Its a long long time since I was in Pairc Seán for a match but having passed through Carrick enough times the best advice I could offer is to park whichever side of the bridge is your home side and preferably your home side of the grounds. Traffic can be busy enough on a Sunday through there without a match so park your car pointing homeward and with the above in mind would be my advice. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Arkiema

I need further clarification on this as well, if Cillian is gone for the championship then you’d have to think that’s a knockout blow. We’re so unlucky no to have seen peak Cillian (on 2020 form & arguably the best he’s been in years), Tommy (on 2021 form) and Ryan (on current form) all playing together in the FF line. They could do serious damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

The recovery from the Achilles is not on track is what I heard. That's it. Listening to James O'Donoghue a couple of weeks back, and he is a man who knows something about long term injury, if players returning from these injuries aren't getting game time before the end of the league, they aren't going to be ready for championship. I don't believe Cillian will be ready either and I've believed that for a while now, just because of the shorter season.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Arkiema

That’s fair enough, hopefully it’s not too big of a setback and is available in some form for Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

The last time I was there I parked in where the cinema is and walked from there! I think it was about a 20 minute walk from there! Like Blackjack said, whatever side of the river you're approaching from stick to that side. You will be along time waiting to cross after the game!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Connacht Championship U20 Quarter final Mayo v Galway is set for Connacht GAA centre with 7pm throw in on Wednesday the 6th of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Three changes to the Mayo team this weekend.  Probably 9 of that 15 will start against Galway on April 24th namely Lee Keegan,Padraig O’Hora,Oisín Mullin,Aidan O’Shea,Stephen Coen,Jordan Flynn,Matthew Ruane,Jason Doherty and Ryan O’Donoghue. Horan is hardly going to carry on the experiment of Aidan O'Shea at 6 in the championship with all the defensive/natural defender options Mayo have.

The whole league campaign played without Cillian O'Connor, looks like he had a set back on his recovery and will that also rule him out of the Connacht championship?

Probably a stronger team than last week but doesn't look like Horan is going all out to qualify for the league final

https://mayogaa.com/news-detail/10078210/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Hard tp fathom the Aidan O'Shea at 6 experiment. For the past decade, one of Mayos main piece of artillery has been the running half backs - Keegan, Boyle, Higgins (when he was played there), Durcan etc. And now when we are a little more consistent throughout the team, he puts one of the slowest players in the key centre back position. It would be so easy for the opposition to expose it, even starting with the main point of sticking someone with speed on AOS, and run him ragged. Imagine AOS trying to follow Seanie O'Shea around the park.

Presumably it is never the intention of continuing with this experiment. Why go there in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Not sure you're aware of all our injuries if you think we can field a stronger team than that at the moment.

• Advertisement

I'm aware of the injuries alright but out of the 26 named, I wouldn't consider that starting lineup to be the strongest 15. I'd have at least 2 changes maybe 3.

Glancing at the team sheet it's trying its best to look like it'll be the same setup as against Tyrone.

Aido will likely drop in as sweeper, not marking anyone just preventing them hitting Hyland/Flynn/Woodgate with easy balls in front or high fields, and Boland will drop in to make a Coen/Mullen/Boland half back line. Well, make it before any match ups drag folks all over the place. Which is a shame as I'd love to see Boland get a fair shot at nailing down the wing forward role. He showed a lot more offensive threat in the defeat to Kerry than most have all year.

The sweeper tactic didn't get much of a chance against Tyrone given how poor the running & execution was. The lads had clearly had a rough training week (or two) and were absolutely dead on their feet out there. Tactic was doomed to fail when lads were getting caught in possession with nobody running to make a pass or to create overlaps or off the shoulder runs and when they did chance kicking the pass heavy legs were driving it inaccurately over the endline.

Be interesting to see how it pans out this time assuming they've eased off the hard running this week. That's a toss of a coin though, hard to know what way the management are leaning on the joys of winning vs the impact of having to prepare for a game that isn't Galway.

2 or 3 changes would just be a matter of opinion between you and Horan,Id say he's better placed.Id probably make 1 or 2 changes myself but neither of us are in possession of the full picture.

Currently I wouldn't be confident of beating Galway,I don't think Horan wants to be starting Aido for example but needs must,we are nowhere near the luxury of springing him from the bench.

There's not many teams that could lose so many starters (Robbie and DOC) being the latest and still compete at the same level.

That's my point though - from the players available, I don't think that Horan is starting what would be the strongest team in his opinion. I think he's still experimenting and giving fringe players game time that he wouldn't be doing if he was going all out to win this match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't know the state of the injuries to DOC and Robbie Hennelly. Are they short term? Expected back for Galway game?

Obviously, injuries are not ideal, but the little break might be a blessing in disguise for DOC.

Rob has a knee injury and he's out for 4 - 6 weeks.

• Advertisement

That would make Aido’s selection at 6 logical then.

Fair play to the team at MacHale Park. It's looking well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Used it not spell out Albany on the town end terrace?

Looking well, not easy given the weather we've had up to this

Byrne doesn’t have Hennelly’s range when it comes to kickouts

• Advertisement
Advertisement