Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

Yeah I didn't like the cage match at all. I don't know how they had such a good match last Patrick's Day slam because every match they've had since they've just had no chemistry. I'm starting to believe the rumours that they both dislike each other for real and it's not helping their matches. Also we only saw the tacks 2 weeks ago with Punk/MJF so I didn't like them being used again so soon.

In saying all that, I'm happy Rosa won and really hope she has a good reign away from Baker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I thought the cage match was alright but nothing close to last year's match. They didn't get me invested in it. I'm glad Rosa won but I think it's pretty obvious they don't get on. It happens, you don't have to love your colleagues, but it doesn't help the match. Good show overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Having Wardlow in that title match so soon after Scorpio won the title wasn't a good idea. Like it was pretty obvious Scorpio wasn't losing the title and now his undefeated streak has ended due to the DQ.

As others have said, glad Rosa won. I liked Britt but they've gone and done the WWE thing of overexposing her. I was expecting shenanigans.. Surprised none of Britt's crew appeared. And when Aubrey came out, I expected the double ref count.

Jericho talking about using real names and not doing the same. Coincidence this happens right after Jeff Hardy joins? I think they need to change the Judas music as well now to something with no lyrics at least. Not a very heel move letting the people have what they want. They could say it's the fans appreciating Jericho, but considering they're also booing him it doesn't make sense.

Yuta joining Team Regal makes sense after how he's being treated with Best Friends lately. Also with regard Best Friends is Statlander teasing a character change with the bit with her removing contacts and makeup?

Seeing him on Dark this week, how come Jora Johl rarely comes out with AFO?

Speaking of Aubrey and Dark, I see they have a new female ref. Was curious if she learned from Aubrey and noticed her throwing her arms up anytime there was an impactful move like a slam or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

He wasn't DQ'ed? He rolled him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If you treat the main event as a comedy match it was great. A hilarious shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

These streaks are meaningless though when it's nothing but YouTube job matches.

Guess how many singles matches on TV Sky had since the TNT title match loss to Darby almost exactly one year ago... Two.. this week and last week

I read Jericho got booed during his entrance when they filmed Rampage afterwards, so good job with the promo

Definitely think Baker should go away now for a while because you know if she goes into a feud with someone straight away she's going to get more air time than the feud Rosa is going to have with someone for the title.

Rosa Vs Deeb or Shida is what I would hope for but wouldn't be surprised if it's Statlander.

I still think the division is severely lacking. Rosa, Deeb, Shida and Riho are the only ones I look forward to watching have a match.

Ah, my mistake. For some reason I thought he was DQ'd after MJF attacked Wardlow. But watching again the ref was distracted.

The health scare jericho got while in the uk on tour seems to have done him the world of good and he has dropped that weight off and looks like a new man also loving this sports entertainers gimmick and getting garcia as sports entertainer is perfect hopefully this leads to clash between jerichos entertainers and regals shooters down the road a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 54,281 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Kenny wont be back anytime soon that's for sure

Kenny Omega is reportedly recovering from knee surgery, and has other operations planned.

Omega has been out of action since dropping the AEW World Title to “Hangman” Adam Page at AEW Full Gear back on November 13. It was reported then that Omega had been in pain for a while, working with injuries that included shoulder, knee and abdominal issues, among others. It was also noted at that point how AEW President Tony Khan told Omega to take as much time off as he needed.

In an update, the Wrestling Observer Newsletter now reports that Omega is recovering from the arthroscopic knee surgery, and that will take around ten weeks.

Omega is set to go back under the knife at the end of March to repair a sports hernia. That recovery will take around two months.

Besides the hernia surgery, Omega has other issues that he is planning on taking care of before he returns to action. There is currently no timeframe for his return.

• Advertisement

“Certain things happen for a reason and subconsciously that was one of the smartest, maybe the smartest thing I have ever done guided by something higher than me,” Jeff Hardy said. “WWE was so strange, I had been there for almost two years I guess after I came back from knee surgery. When Matt debuted in AEW, the pandemic hit in front of nobody, he teleported down in the nosebleeds and I was going to debut in Detroit Michigan, I came back from knee surgery in front of the performance center to nobody.

“It was just weird, the best way I can describe my last few months in WWE was just glimmers of hope like maybe I still do have something and the last glimmer of hope was the Survivor Series which was really good. Came down to me and Seth Rollins and I almost won and the crowd was so behind me, I felt like one of the most popular babyfaces in WWE.

“Then there’s other times where I just felt like a ghost roaming the halls, I don’t know, why am I even here? I don’t feel important at all. I kept doing my deal, showing up and doing whatever they wanted me to do and I’ve never been a politician so I don’t go out of my way to get a certain spot or to achieve a certain status.

“But yeah that night in Texas, I finished my heat, took the heat, and just said I’m ready to go. Went over the railing, disappeared into the crowd and naturally, they think I took something like drugs or whatever but I didn’t. I mean if I was that bad I should’ve never went out there is the way I see it.

“But yeah, it’s just another unpredictable thing that I can do and I’d get away with it but it was more serious than that. It was one of the smartest things I had ever done because it worked out so perfectly, mainly because my first day in AEW I felt valuable for the first time. The care and love I was shown, I felt like I was supposed to be there, I just got chills thinking about that.

“With WWE it just felt like they were keeping me there to sell action figures and that’s one of the things, I get so much joy out of painting my face and when I see that come out and immortalized in an action figure I’m like man, that’s why I do this. This is so cool and that’s one thing I’m super excited about here in AEW is my first action figure with the face paint. This is exactly where I’m supposed to be right now.”

Jeff Hardy made his AEW debut last week, helping his brother fend off the HFO on AEW Dynamite, and then teamed with his brother this week against Private Party.

Continuing to talk about the details surrounding that night in Texas, Jeff Hardy mentioned what led up to him walking out of that match. The former WWE Tag Team Champion talked about the highs and lows of his most recent run with WWE and why he felt like he had no purpose.

“It felt right in the moment, I wasn’t trying to get released,” Jeff said. “Just thinking about Survivor Series and how fun that was, that connection with the crowd and how they wanted me to win so bad. It just made me think back to SummerSlam, I went to SummerSlam and it was a big crowd in this stadium in Vegas and I was there all day for nothing. I was like why am I even here?

“I was so excited about being a part of it, some little spot or something but I just wasn’t involved. I was like why am I even here? And that’s not just at SummerSlam but like why am I still here in WWE? What’s my purpose because it felt like I didn’t have much of one.”

Immediately after he was released from WWE, talks of AEW and a reunion with his brother Matt grew rapidly. Jeff Hardy revealed conversations he had with people in AEW throughout his final run with WWE and why his plan was always to come to AEW once his brother left WWE to become All Elite.

“When anybody from AEW said ‘hey man, how much longer do you got over there?’ ‘ah, a little under two years now…’ but that was ultimately the plan [to go to AEW] depending on how things went throughout those two years,” Hardy said. “I’m in good shape but I’m still pretty beat up so I don’t know how much longer I’ve got so I just want to make the most of how much longer I do have.

“I’m sure Matt feels the same way, let’s get this in while we can. I just felt like I was wasting away in WWE, for my good moments that hadn’t happened yet, while I’m healthy and still feel pretty good out there in the ring. I just feel valued now and I think that’s very important as a performer.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

It’s great that Jeff is happy but he really comes off as unprofessional, confirming that he just decided to walk out in the middle of a match based on a feeling . Also, he needs to stop talking about always having planned to go to AEW and having had conversations with AEW workers about it. WWE are petty enough to sue for contract tampering if they feel slighted and don’t need him bolstering their case for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It's pretty clear why he could never be 'THE' guy for any company despite his massive popularity alright. Like, his happiness is obviously more important than anything but between this and his previous shenanigans in WWE and then TNA it's no surprise he's not main eventing PPVS at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭kksaints

He doesn't come across well from that interview, also I don't see what AEW are really going to do with him past the Hardy Boys reunion. With the quality AEW has and the very talented young wrestlers they already have I don't see how he's going to get near the main event bar maybe a brief one month run.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Merchandise primarily would be my bet is what AEW get from it. They can do the usual reunion, brother vs brother, etc etc and just sell tons of merch. As for Jeff yeah he's not getting near the main event imo with the quality of talent (both experienced and up and coming) ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Great news

A working relationship with NJPW & now DDT who are also owned by the same company that owns NOAH.

This could be more content for a streaming channel.

That must be the international company andrew zarian was talking about a few weeks back got the joshi wrestlers now as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Independent contractors can choose to end their working agreements at any time. I'd love to see WWE challenge Jeff/AEW on him signing.

Also it's great to see a wrestler just walking out on WWE, the company that cut over 200 independent contractors in the middle of a pandemic when they were making record profits.

Independent contractors can choose to end their working agreements at any time. I'd love to see WWE challenge Jeff/AEW on him signing.

Can they really you better let Ali know that then.

I don't know much about DDT, would that be a big or small time player in Japan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Have a read of this WWE contract (Kanyon’s). It’s been challenged in court and held up. Wrestling has a vey unique take on what an independent contractor is.

http://muchnick.net/kanyoncontract.pdf

while it might seem great to “stick it to the wwe” because of their scummy behaviour, the reality is it shows that Jeff can’t be trusted to stick to an agreement and makes pushing him even more of a risk. He just keeps proving that he can’t be relied upon to be put in an important role.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I don't know where they stand now after the last two years of the pandemic, However some there Joshi wrestlers are the ones that have been working with AEW over the last couple of years and Takeshita he is considered one of the next big Japaneese wrestlers wrestled on a few Dark's last year.

If they could get the DDT library to use on a streaming deal there will be lots of early Omega on it and plenty of great matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,402 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Some on line chatter speculation of Bret Hart and Trish Stratus joining AEW in some capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

DDT are likely fourth on a list of promotions in Japan at the minute in terms of both attendances and product quality, behind obviously New Japan, and Dragongate and STARDOM too.

I'd say for the majority of fans on this side of the world the most they know of DDT is the meme stuff, Ibushi wrestling YOSHIHIKO the blow-up doll or the bikes or the watermelon split match. There is a lot of mad stuff in DDT but nothing that's any more outrageous than Lily or the Fiend or any other bs you get in the US. Plus it's been an indie Puroresu for most of it's existence, you're going to get a lot of weird.

DDT gets the comedy tag which is fair enough but there's a lot of great pro-wrestling too. It was their twenty-fifth anniversary show on the weekend, the main event between Konosuke Takes*ita (who was in AEW before) and Tetsuya Endo was an absolute banger.

It's an interesting relationship with AEW. The joshi aren't actually in DDT, they're in Tokyo Joshi Pro but they're both owned by the same company and on the same WrestleUniverse streaming platform. NOAH is on there too, some great potential to work with AEW there as well!

If bret is coming to aew just around the time the owen cup is due to begin could be interesting i wonder have bret and martha had some peace talks over the last few years.

Didn't Bret present the first AEW title?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

he is gonna manage FTR - they have been hinting at it and even the bucks dropped a "best there is" line talking about Tully's replacement

If it's true that Bret is coming to manage FTR, I will be over the moon, my favorite wrestler would be back

I just can't see Bret managing them full time. A one off time at double or nothing would be the most likely I'd say.

• Advertisement

Yeah i know that i was taking about the dislike between martha and the hart family and how that might effect the owen cup with bret also there

Advertisement