Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

I wonder will Cronin make it to France for the WC (sub)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Burns certainly didn't get 'plenty of gametime.' Nor really recently did Carty. Harry Byrne has done nothing to deserve it either. Ross Byrne is very underestimated I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

On top of those games he started for Ireland, Carbery has started just 4 games for Munster this season. The guy got 2 starts in the summer, 3 starts with Munster in Sept/Oct, 1 start for Ireland in November, 1 start for Munster in December and then 2 starts for Ireland in February. They guy is averaging 1 start a month this season.

He isn’t getting a run of games no matter what way you want to try and frame it. The only run he has managed to put together in the last 2-3 years IIRC is the end of last season. It’s going to be very hard for him to correct issues in his game without actually getting a good run of games to change his habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Obviously the game changed when Sexton came on I never said or implied otherwise but you'd swear reading your post and others that we were never within an asses roar of scoring until Sexton came on and that wasn't the case. We could have Italy on the sword but for errors from players other than Joey but Joey seems to be the fall guy.

making no yards

BTW, that's blatantly incorrect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Exactly! Seems like Carberry is to blame for all the players on the pitch. Lowe too deep and too narrow in the loop plays, knock ons, bad passes all on Carberry. I don't have a high opinion of the analytical skills here, but sometimes I'm surprised by how shocking they are.

Too many Dermots who want 15 show ponies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I guess this is about expectations. All I ask of the coaching staff is that they make a decent fist of optimizing performance with the players available to them. Farrell has already done more with our passing game than I thought possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm not advocating for a who's who of players to be included. The point with Timoney is, he has little experience at this level, he's a cracking player and a start v NZ would probably benefit him.

Prendergast deserves a chance. He's brilliant. I wouldn't be surprised if he eclipses Doris over the next few years.

On lh prop, we are on the road to nowhere with Kolcoyne and Healy. They wouldn't make much of an impact v S.A,NZ or France. That's who we are up against! If Loughman is able to solidify our scrum and can carry and tackle, it's worth a shot!

Why should Baird go? He's a back up for Leinster! On that basis, he's not ready to play in a world cup.

Taking Kendellen along with Penny would get them into the environment. I can't see Farrell resting on his laurels. This present squad has major deficiencies that need correcting. This upcoming tour is pivotal to improve the squad, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The present squad certainly does not have major deficiencies that need correcting. We lost one game by 6 points to the team that won the slam in Paris. We are in need of cover at prop and 10. Everywhere else we are in a good enough place, not to say we couldn’t do with more quality players or that no one should be allowed in but we are in a good place squad wise.

we played okay against an English team that had their dander up and were up for it and misfired against Italy but it’s hard to play in a game like that where it’s won after a few minutes.

on Baird I didn’t mention him at all I’m not really sure where you are going with that, it’s not that I don’t think some of those players might not be good enough to go to the World Cup my point was they need to get past the people ahead of them that are doing it.

I disagree with our squad depth. I think lh is a weakness. Oh too. But we are in a good position.

On Baird, was suggesting that he doesn't start for Leinster, therefore he's not good enough for Ireland. Of course, in 18 months he will most likely be motoring. But on the whole, our 2nd row is good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s not blatantly incorrect. We spent a lot of the first half moving side to side across the pitch. Carberry taking the ball standing still was pivotal in this. As it meant the pods standing around him were taking it standing still too. Obviously Carberry wasn’t the only person on the pitch underperforming that day. He’s not being made a scapegoat for anything. His performance as a 10 that day was very poor though and he looked as if he is unable to play high tempo rugby. Carberry is lacking in confidence and it really showed in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

We scored 3 tries in 30 minutes, a BP try before halftime and we'd probably have scored two more but for crossing/obstruction and Hansen not gathering a ball in the wing. Yet your OP said we made no yards.

His post said we spent a lot of time going side to side and making no yards, not that we made no yards at all. As much as I’m not willing to disregard Joey at all, he wasn’t great against Italy and that has rightfully impacted peoples opinions of him. He has a lot of work to do to be good enough to start for Ireland in big games. I’m hopeful he can get there, but I think it’s more than fair to say that he isn’t there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Probably best thing to do is take Sexton to NZ but straight after make him go on sabbatical for 6 months, at the very least don’t select him for any of the AI’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭ersatz

You can't argue with the results of this 6N, I think we scored more tries than anyone before? Ireland are top 4 in the world right now, arguably. But the circumstances are worth noting, Scotland are poor, England are a shambles who can only score off the tee and Wales are probably in the worst shape they've been in for a decade. France won't care about that as they polish their grand slam but if we are considering where we are at its worth thinking about.

Just focus on Joey being poor if it makes you happy.

A number of players were poor v Italy. Conan actually said in his post match interview that playing against 14 can affect your game plan. He said something like some players see a gap and go for it but the rest of the players are out of synch with him.

We had too many errors in that game and Joey seems to be the only one getting the blame for it.

I've said it before but worth repeating, Joey is not Sexton, he may never be but he's the next best OH we have. Judging him on Sexton isn't fair.

Also worth repeating giving him 20 seconds at the end of a game isn't doing him any favours.

I understand the point. And it might be worth worrying about if any of the others in the 6Ns were even close to us on the table. They weren’t though. There was clear daylight between France, ourselves and then the rest way behind. 11 points between ourselves and England is pretty huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I don't think anyone is "blaming" Carbery. From my point of view the game just proved that Carbery is a good international 10, but he isn't a great international 10. As I said already I think he should be moved to 15 and lets look at other players.

Carbery had a good game. Not a bad game but when a 36 year old come on and suddenly can move the team around the field with ease then you see what the difference is.

Not sure why everyone is so defensive, Carbery is a good 10, if Ireland keep playing he will do an ok job. But we need more than ok. We have to start looking at players from the prism of top 3 in the World. To me, to say again, Carbery is in an Ireland team at 15 and not at 10

The discussion was in the context of our outhalves. Do you suggest we should focus on how poor our back row was? So we can discuss the future at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Too many Dermots who want 15 show ponies!

The Brave and Faithful are really rising the level of debate by rehashing nonsense from TRK.

Anyway, Carbery doesn't have it at outhalf at international level. He has 32 caps and has shown himself to be nothing more than average as an international outhalf. He had his shot starting against France and Italy only a few weeks ago and was nothing more than bang average. The sooner people - and Andy Farrell - accepts it, the better for us all.

Does anyone who has been paying attention to Leinster in the URC fee like Levy will get back to being an option for Ireland?

A couple of points in there. Most importantly, I agree we shouldn’t be comparing Carbery to Sexton really. He isn’t at that level, but few are.

That said, I think you’re taking the criticism of Carbery too harshly. People (at least those I can see) are calling out that he had a poor performance. They aren’t saying everything bad about the performance was on him. I think you’re finding something in the posts that isn’t there.

Sure, other poor performances didn’t help him, but some of the basics (I mentioned some earlier) were off. A lot of the others had performances that they could fall back on. Carbery didn’t. And he was in a position that we need the depth and he needed to prove himself. So it’s only natural he’s the talking point afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭OldRio

The coaches obviously thought that Carbery was the heir apparant before this tournament. Hence his inclusion in the squad.

I'm of the opinion that view has changed. We have 14 months or so to find a bolter. I've no idea who that is but I'd have a small wager that Carbery will not be back up to Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I'd be hopeful but also fearful that I'm being blinded by my absolute love of the guy. I've missed 1 or 2 appearances, but every game I did see he was getting stuck in trying to poach, was strong in contact and busy for work. I think everyone winces when he goes into contact, it was such a horrific break, but personally I'm really hoping he gets back to that grand slam year form. He was outrageously good.

On a sidenote, VDF has really stepped up since Leavy got injured. He's some athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,464 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The tour to NZ is a once in a lifetime chance. I'd rather we go all out to win that than the WC tbh. We've never been in a stronger position, against a weakened NZ team. France are the only NH to ever win a tour there. Unfortunate likelihood is that we won't get past the quarters, our draw is ****, and Sexton will be that much older and beaten up.

I still think there is reason to be optimistic for the WC, with a few provisos. If we do well in NZ, win a couple of games at least (test & a Maori match) and have a good tilt at a slam next 6N, and we figure out our ten and front row backup situation, then I'd feel very optimistic about the WC. No reason we can't beat France or NZ if we beat both beforehand. I see a problem if France win another slam next year.

• Advertisement

I reckon the Kiwis will be jacked up for us. They'll be a different proposition on home turf. Their squad may be different than what we saw in Nov.

My own feelings are that we obviously go to win and develop more depth, if possible. Here's the thing, would we be better served learning more about Carberry! Why not give him the starts? If we do, we'll know if he's up for it. If Sexton travels, he could come off the bench. I don't rate Carberry very highly at oh, but I would like to see him perform in NZ.

On that point, why bring Carty? Seriously, he saw 5 minutes during the 6nations. Would it be smarter to bring Crowley or Healy?

Advertisement