Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ticketmaster are selling tickets for the Munster game on the weekend of May 20 with a time of 19:35 on the Saturday evening. Has this game been confirmed for that slot or is it just a ticketmaster guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Game is confirmed changed to Sat 21 May. There was no time noted in the email but might have been subsequently confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

No contract announcements this week? I assume there's no one else to move up from the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Rumours that Noel McNamara has been lined up to take over Felipe Contepomi's role when he leaves.

That would be great! I think Richie Murphy would be a good option too. He's done great with the u20's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Thats great news if true, he did phenomenal with the u20s for a number of years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

I wouldnt be surprised if Big Joe gets game time in next years 6nations

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Confirmed today as a 7.15pm kick off on the Saturday 21st.

Back to provincial rugby, a big tilt coming this week in Galway, minus most of the key players! The injured list is large and the international lads will be rested.

I didn't see an updated injury list last week? I assume that James Ryan will be shut down for a while. Baird is also out? Our team will need to play well against a wounded Connacht.

I think it's doable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We might get Henshaw back, but other than that it'll be a bare bones team.

Maybe:

Byrne Tracy Alaalatoa

Mccarthy Molony

Ruddock Deegan Leavy

Mcgrath R Byrne

TOB Henshaw/Osborne ROL A Byrne

JOB

Not a great side with Connacht likely only missing Aki and Hansen. Home win on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Leinster Rugby can confirm the retirement of second row forward Devin Toner at the end of the current season.

Toner, who turns 36 in June, made his Leinster Rugby debut in January 2006 off the bench against the Border Reivers, and has since had a glittering career in the blue of Leinster and, of course, in the green of Ireland.

He won 70 caps for Ireland, won three Six Nations winners’ medals and was a member of the 2018 Grand Slam winning side.

During his time with Leinster, the Meath native has to date won four Heineken Cup titles, a Challenge Cup title and seven league titles, as well as becoming the most capped player in Leinster history.

Speaking to leinsterrugby.ie, Toner admitted it was not the easiest decision to make but that the time felt right.

“There is never a right time I suppose and you would love to keep playing but I feel very lucky to have had the career that I have had and I am able to leave the sport that I love and the club that I love, in good health and on my own terms.

“I have been around the club for long enough to understand that not everyone is that lucky, and I feel that the time is right now to focus on that next chapter and of course, spending more time with Mary, with Max and with Grace. They, and Mary in particular, have put their lives on hold to enable me to perform and I couldn’t have done it without them. So now it’s about them and us all enjoying more time together.”

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/appearances-record-holder-devin-toner-retire/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Not unexpected, but always sad to see. What a career. Thought he might also hold the record for least prolific try scorer for the province, averaging a try every 69 games (nice etc), but I can see at least Mike Ross (once every 72 games) and Mike McCarthy (0 in 75 games) have him beat in that department.

Great that he'll get a proper send off from the RDS. Was a shame Rob Kearney and Ferg didn't get one due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Fair play Dev, a great player who exceeded expectations and proved a lot of people (me included) wrong about how good he could become.

A shame that his test career ended the way it did but not many players get to retire with a CV like that.

Good luck to Dev. Fine player, who excelled for Leinster and Ireland.

I agree with this. We could be in for a long afternoon. Having Henshaw would be great!

Leinster Rugby head coach Leo Cullen has issued an injury update ahead of the URC clash with Connacht at The Sportsground on Saturday evening (KO 7.35pm – LIVE on RTE, Premier Sports and URC TV).

After missing the game against Ulster, Harry Byrne is due to train this week after recovering from a rib injury.

There’s also positive news for Ciarán Frawley who returns to training this week following a facial injury. His availability for this weekend is subject to further assessment throughout the week.

There are no further updates on: 

Andrew Porter (ankle), Jordan Larmour (hip), Will Connors (knee), James Ryan (concussion), Ryan Baird (back), Rónan Kelleher (shoulder), Conor O’Brien (hamstring) and Michael Milne (calf)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Has Milne been injured all season? It seems a terribly long time since he was available.

Yep all season with a calf injury. Must have been a serious tear off the bone.

• Advertisement

With Toner's announcement, I bet Cronin will announce his retirement soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

There is a great photograph of Toner lining out for the Moynalvey under-14s on line.

He must be twice as big as any other player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I sent that to my wife earlier it’s hilarious.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Jaysus - He did all his growing early didn't he?

He must be all of 6'4" in that picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

In the wake of the Six Nations I just want to say how impressed I am with Gibson-Park and the major improvements he has made to his game.

When we signed him I thought he was a decent 9, but someone who was extremely loose and made a few blunders every game. But over the last three seasons he has mostly cut out the loose passes and odd decisions. He's now the best 9 in the country and well deserving of his berth as Ireland's first choice 9.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

Surely every opposition team must have called BS when they saw him lining out 😂

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The coaches definitely had a copy of his birth-cert or passport in the kit bag for games :-)

• Advertisement

Yeah overall he had a great tournament.

He plays at a million miles an hour but needs to also learn when to slow it down and play the percentages.

Murray demonstrated this coming on against England and I thought JGP was a part of what went wrong at times against Italy.

Advertisement