Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

Does anyone know what is happening with the GP Laureato 42mm blue dial? - the remaining few that are now left on Chrono have doubled/trebled in price over the past few days and stock has been virtually wiped out. The AD's seem to be out of stock also. Has it been delisted or has the madness now spread to this GP model also? While I always felt the Laureato was really under priced when compared to an AP RO, for example, it is hard to rationalise the current prices. Maybe, they will correct back to normal in the coming days, but it all seems strange and just wondering if anyone here knows the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dev1234

My first G-Shock

I had looked at some of the more complicated versions which included tide timings and moon phases but concluded that:

1. I don't fish

2. I'm not a werewolf

Really like the simple styling of this one and is comfortable on the wrist. Would pick up another G-Shock in the future!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd reckon spread of the madness Kostal. As the dealers and flippers and 'investors' get ever more hyped up and their prized models get ever more expensive they'll go looking around for similar/the Next Big Thing and the GP appears to be one of them.

Was watching a couple of the Belfast P&P guys vids recently where he's hanging out with other tulip farmers at dealer shows and a few times he says he doesn't want to just sell to other dealers, he wants to sell to customers(the one he does sell to buys a basic Sub. I'd bet the mad money stuff is all between dealers). The fact he says that should tell us all we need to know. It's an entirely dealer/investor based bubble egging each other on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭banie01

On the blue dialled madness, the V.C that I sold a while back for 250% of what I paid.

Is up for sale again at near double what it was sold for.

It has been an exponential rise and surely with the current economic climate? It's running headfirst into a wall.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Been doing the WFH deal for much of the last week, and as somewhat idle hands will do...

I've not been happy with a couple of previous lume jobs I've done, or jobs others have in the past so got to work.

The Borgel cased Trench watch on the right had no lume when I got it, but I wasn't happy with the job I initially did with it. Too red/brown, too olde stylee 'vintage' radium. So I got shot of that(easy to do with enamel dials) and reapplied the pure Seiko lume I have. In the past I've always followed the procedure of premix the lume before applying. Problem was that the results were OK, but too samey. And it pretty much killed the effectiveness of the lume. So I got to thinking... Bad idea. 😁

Did some experimentation with 'pure' dried lume and very thin watercolour glazes with different mixes of browns. Lo and behold I had much more control over results and am also able to keep 99% of the effectiveness of the underlying lume. The Borgel is in the first stage. Four layered application. Bright as feck.

The Zenith in the middle needed a redial in the 90's, because it was like wearing Fukushima on the wrist(Scarily hot) and while it was a very good redial(though extraspecial should be all one word) the lume was whiter than a ghost's sheet and the hand lume was very sloppy. And any light lasted seconds. I was always loathe to attack it until I got enough practice as that handset makes a 1950's steel Patek look commonplace and it's a family hairyloom so... Luckily military lume in the particular in the 30's often looks like it was applied with a syringe rather than "printed" and is quite tubular and lumpy for the want of better words. I suppose to get the max thickness of radium for brightness(which means if it has the original stuff it's low level nuclear waste) so you have way more leeway than with say 1960's lume. Those Zenith's original lume rarely fills the underlying white numerals completely and looks quite "fuzzy". So base coat of pure, then very thin glazing to follow after it dries to build up the wabi sabi and the different tones I'm after. Ditto for the Doxa(the 8 is a bit wonky, but looks better in the metal. I may redo it). I'm pretty pleased with the results and as a bonus, because of at least four layers of lume they remain perfectly legible all night long after a charge. I'll attack the Borgel with glazes at the weekend.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I do like how you've managed a very sympathetic job on that Wibbs!

Thanks B. 😊👍️ I completely forgot this morning, but after I hit the leaba last night I woke up bleary eyed at, well ten to one it turns out. Noticed the glow on my bedside table and took a couple of janky shaky pics and then nodded off again.

That's the pure Seiko base lume on the Borgel.

That's the glazed lume on the Zenith. Both are about 30 minutes after I put out the bedside lamp(the Zenith was slightly further away at an angle hence the bezel pointer didn't charge up). Interestingly the different sepia glazes make the lume go from blue white to an eerie green. Which was the original colour glow of radium back in the day. Minus the risks of mutating monsterism. Both were still perfectly readable to my Mark I Human Eyeball at six this morning.

The Seiko stuff is the boss. Especially when you can layer it on much more thickly because the original dials and hands were designed for that. We're talking a mill thick on original examples. They did not spare the horses back then on military type watches, even when they realised the dangers of the stuff. On the MWR forum one lad had an original 40's Panerai and a geiger counter. At six inches, even a foot's distance the alarm was going nuts. A 1940's Japanese Seikosha Pilots watch was even worse. IIRC he sold them on not long after and made a very tidy sum indeed(more than he'd get today).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My very first watch was likely a 50s watch, manual wind. I remember it having greenish lume that was always on, so I presume radium then too? Kinda would like another one, I just love lume and I wear my watch 24/7.

Dangerous? If you wear it say a few days a week and you have it many meters away from you at all other times? Presuming they last used radium in the 50s or so (?) are these now expensive to get or still ubiquitous? Presumably all or most are very small (under 40mm)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

​Made another Seiko purchase (actually two, but one is being kept for the wedding day). This was the impulse buy, the catchily named SBP103J1 or 'Sumo Hulk'

I was a bit worried that the green might have been too much, but in the shade it looks almost black and when the sun hits it, it absolutely glows. It's really, really good looking.

In addition to the bracelet that came with it, I have brown leather & green NATO straps ordered to go with it as well. I think the brown leather one in particular will work really well with it.​

Yeah greenish was usually radium Unk, chances are a 50's watch that glowed was the hot stuff. Though for a short period strontium was tried out because it had a few advantages. It's a near pure beta source(like tritium), which reduces the risk of getting out of the case and if it does through your skin. But apparently there was a very negative public perception of strontium in the US market(for what reason I can't recall) at the time and that put a stop to that. Some brands specifically advertised and marked their dials to show they were strontium free. Usually a horizontal white line on the dial under the hands.

You still get some radium into the early 1960's but they were moving to tritium by then(or more rarely promethium). Still easy enough to get radium dial watches on ebay and the like. Very few would glow anymore as radium blasts the phospors and burns them out. Ironically the lower the mix of radium the more likely you'd get some glow today. In WW1, the mix was so hot they only guaranteed the glow for two or three years.

And yeah unfortunately the vast majority are going to be sub 40mm, much more like 33-35mm. 38mm was "jumbo" back then and usually chronos. Anything 40mm or larger from before around 1970 are going to be sought after and expensive. Though less expensive than they once were as vintage has stagnated a lot in the last five years. Take my above Zenith at 43mm(huge for the 1930's). If I put that up for sale in say 2010 I'd have had a lot of interest and 5-6k would be easy to get. Today? I know a guy has a NOS example selling it at 3k(dollars) for nearly two years. Not a sniff. There's one on C24, with the wrong and impossible to find centre seconds hand and 'Tropical dial'(mine was waaay worse)at 3800 Freedom Bucks. Good luck... This guy at 7k is clearly smoking the waccy baccy.

Danger wise? The biggest danger is opening up the watch and breathing in that stuff and all the nasty daughter elements it decays down into, which seep into the movements too. Though even on the wrist it'll fire out lots of high energy beta and gamma and off gas radon. The one remaining original radium lume 40's watch I have I wear sparingly and keep it in a well ventilated spare room. And it's tiny at 33mm and doesn't look heavily loaded with lume but when I put my Soviet era Polish military gieger counter(cos me...) to it, it triggers the alarm at the first three sensitivity settings and does so very quickly and is still reacting at a couple of feet away. Maybe I'm being over cautious, but I personally wouldn't risk it Unk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Enjoying some time in the beach with my Black Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Sitting in a shed drinking cider in Kilkenny, When I was young this was called kn*cker drinking, Now it’s called a night out in a craft brew beer garden .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Any beach related activities, swimming, boats, surfing etc or even just live near the sea and the tide feature is actually really useful.

Far more useful than most "complications" i found

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

A re-buy for me. A different watch but the same model , Grey dawn samurai .I have it on a Barton’s sailcloth as not a fan of Seiko bracelets. Not in as good a condition as the one I sold last year but it will do until @Pablo_Flox decides to sell his to me :)

Not mine and a photo I came across over on Reddit.

This is a movement shot from a fake Patel 5712.

That's obviously not going to catch out a WIS, but honestly? There are going to be more and more horror stories surfacing regarding people being caught by these.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

Had a busy week in the garden and on the farm (annual leave is for working right?).

Garden work will be labour saving for the future. Planted 220 hedge plants (no fence maintenance, it can fall down now) and finished install of the robot lawnmower (when you have silage to cut in the height of growth in May and June a lawn is a pain in the Bollox).

First time wearing a watch since Monday!

Probably won’t be too long till a robot can cut the silage for you as well.

This is me being nosey now so ignore if you wish but have you another job as well as the farm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Advertisement

They are rebranding as “the ringpiece genthlmen” I hear.

I have a full time job, a long commute, and part time job on top of the farm.

Yet my phone has my screen time far higher than it should. No idea how.

Fair play - lads that grow up on farms seem to like hardship .Farming on its own is more than a full time job and then adding in another job on top of that seems mad to someone like me . Maybe that’s why I posted a Seiko today and you posted a Lange & Sohne

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I picked up one of these about 2 years ago and it's a great everyday watch and you're spot on about the green not being too bright and looking black sometimes.

One thing i did notice is the calibration straight out of the factory isn't great and mine was losing up to 5 mins a week so be prepared to send it to Seiko for a service under warranty to get it calibrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I spent the last few days away in CamperVan IV in Cork and Limerick. The place in Limerick was a first or me - staying the night beside the funeral home.

I tried to get this shot about 20 times, and this is the best I could get.

(And it's doing the won't rotate thing again...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

How’d you get on with the VRT on the camper in the end? Hope they didn’t ride you too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I apealled their VRT calculation and got 3k back. I've now FoI'd their calculation process as I know they didn't follow their own internal rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I've been lucky I think, it's only gained around five seconds per day so far.

I do love a bit of pedantery when it comes to dealing with Revenue. I've had quite a few run-ins with them in particular with regard to CAT and the shambolic manner they handle things is always surprising.

Outside of enforcement, it is pretty much a make it up as they go system. I had an issue where they issued a demand on the death of my partner, ignored CGT exemptions then bargained down to 20% of their initial demand. I told them no, that I was happy to seek judicial review as I was certain both that I was exempt and that their figures and process were inherently unfair.

Then they issued me a letter advising that whilst they held the assessment as correct that they would not seek payment barring sale of the house or a large windfall on my part. They still issue me tax clearance certs too.

I perhaps should have gone ahead with the review, not for me but for others who were in a similar situation of co-habiting (with Spanish civil partnership tho unrecognised here at the time). But I was relieved to just be done with it.

I'm now 5yrs away from the debt itself being statute barred in any event 😉

• Advertisement

A little bit of hype brand Ming this evening! Cheapest one in Europe on C24 is over twice what I paid! Hype the hype! Market is batshit.

Advertisement